Sign in to follow this  
Milwalkeysbeast

Brett Favre Retiring from Packers

in related news...john madden just jumped out of his Maddencruiser at over 70 MPH....life, and broadcasting, cannot go on without his beloved.

ETA: 40

in related news...john madden just jumped out of his Maddencruiser at over 70 MPH....life, and broadcasting, cannot go on without his beloved.

He'd already pretty much dumped Favre for Brady anyway. He'll be alright. He's tough. :ninja:

We have video:

Why would he retire now ?

He has a solid defense , a nice WR corps ( Driver,Jennings , Jones ) , a decent O line and a great chance at contending for a superbowl !

2 years ago I woulda understood but not now ! ! :ninja:

Interesting that he 'retires' the same day Moss signs with the Pats. Coincidence? I think not.

If the Pack would have signed Moss, does Favre still retire?

He's gonna be eulogized for the next 3 weeks. But doesn't he deserve some criticism for handling it this way. There were reports he was willing to play a few more years if Moss was signed (just heard on ESPN). Now he's absolutely decisive when the past few years he went back and forth on the matter. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

is it safe to say that favre retired because they couldn't sign moss?

Thanks Colin Cowherd.

I think its safe to say that if that is why he did it...he is a fool.

But I don't think that has much of anything to do with why he retired.

yeah about as much as a severe case of jock itch. :ninja:

:ninja:

In other news, Peter King and John Madden are both on their way to Farve's Mississippi home to give him one more knob-job.

Great. Now we'll have to live with the continuous chatter about how great he was, how he played the game as if he was a kid, how he was a gunslinger, how he left everything out on the field, yada, yada, yada.

Good riddance, dude. Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out. :ninja:

yeah about as much as a severe case of jock itch. :ninja:

Yup...by haters like you who are pissed that he killed the Hawks...he will not be missed as much.

You only wish the Hawks ever had a QB as good as Favre.

But hey...you have one of his backups...lol

Thanks Colin Cowherd.

I think its safe to say that if that is why he did it...he is a fool.

But I don't think that has much of anything to do with why he retired.

seriously, though...if the packers had signed moss yesterday, instead of the patriots, can you really imagine favre retiring today?

Interesting that he 'retires' the same day Moss signs with the Pats. Coincidence? I think not.

If the Pack would have signed Moss, does Favre still retire?

He's gonna be eulogized for the next 3 weeks. But doesn't he deserve some criticism for handling it this way. There were reports he was willing to play a few more years if Moss was signed (just heard on ESPN). Now he's absolutely decisive when the past few years he went back and forth on the matter. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

If they signed him does he? Possibly...and that might be all that could have kept him around.

Were they ever going to try? No...why would they? They have 4 very good WRs. 2 of them being quite young. WR was not a position of need.

From what I have heard...he made the decision a few days ago...so before Moss announced anything (though, having the same agent Im sure he already knew).

I tdon't think its sour grapes like Cowherd is trying to make it...not the "well, they are not doing enough to help me" crap he keeps playing up.

Absolutely decisive? It took him until March. Last year he decided around Super Bowl time. The year before was the only year he really took a bunch of time and went back and forth.

seriously, though...if the packers had signed moss yesterday, instead of the patriots, can you really imagine favre retiring today?

As I said...that might have been the only way its "related" to Moss.

He might have said...sure...

but would that have been the best thing for the Packers to do? I don't think so.

Should they have gone out offereing 3 years for 40 million and 25 mil guaranteed to maybe get a year or two out of he and Favre? Stunting the growth of guys like Jennings and Jones?

And again...did Moss help NE get over any hump? No. He was pretty much non-existant come playoff time.

But even with Favre leaving, the Pack have no worse a QB situation than anyone else in their division.

and this is a positive for you? ouch. that's quite a drop overnight, eh?

bye, brett.

about 2 years too late....but bye anyway.

Yup...2 years late...Swampy had to put up with being completely wrong for 2 more years and watching GB destroy the Lions.

It's sad in a way, because it feels like the end of an era. The great QBs from "before" - Dan Marino, John Elway, Brett Favre (and Jim Kelly, Troy Aikman, Steve Young on the next tier) - are gone. It's time for the "new" crop to officially take over. Peyton Manning - almost like a bridge - and then Brady, Roethlisberger :rolleyes:, Palmer . . . possibly others as we move along.

No problem. Good luck with Aaron :rolleyes:

Compared to Tavaris, he's looking like a HOF'er.

There definately were rumors that Rodgers wasn't getting it.

All I've heard since the end of last year though is that McCarthy was really happy with his progress, that's why they passed on Brady Quinn in the draft.

McCarthy made some comments this offseason already, that he hopes Favre comes back but if not, Aaron is ready. Of course he's supposed to say that stuff.

He looked good, and very mobile against the Cowboys last season. But I think, to make any judgement on a half of a game where the defense may have been playing it safe with a big lead is misleading. Green Bay takes a big step back this year...should be an interesting NFC North.

i heard the opposite: rodgers is looking good and confidence is high :rolleyes:

and this is a positive for you? ouch. that's quite a drop overnight, eh?

Nope, just pre-empting you before you stepped in to declare that the Lions could now win at least 10 games this year. How'd that work out for you last year?

BTW, who's your QB this year? Is there any talent left on the roster that the Lion's GM hasn't traded away yet?

No matter your city, team, or QB, you have to have nothing but respect for the man. IMO he's the quarterbacks quarterback with more grit and love of the game itself than many we have seen and I'm sure will see again.

Certainly not the greatest that ever played that position, I'm sure he would agree, but give the man the respect he deserves.

Farewell and thank you for being the player you were.

Compared to Tavaris, he's looking like a HOF'er.

If you mean looking like a HOF'er by playing in half of a regular season game then......you are wrong on both accounts :dunno:

Seriously, I will miss Farve playing the Vikes. It was always fun, even when the Vikes had the lead in a game you always worried that Farve would bring them back and win the game. And when the Pack had a big lead you always had hope that Farvah would throw a pick and let us back into a game.

Like I stated earlier I have a lot of respect for Farve. Its the Pack AND their fans I HATE :rolleyes:

Great. Now we'll have to live with the continuous chatter about how great he was, how he played the game as if he was a kid, how he was a gunslinger, how he left everything out on the field, yada, yada, yada.

You're going to get that whenever a legend of the game retires. I can empathize with you. It's annoying as hell when you're not a fan of that player or team.

i heard the opposite: rodgers is looking good and confidence is high :rolleyes:

I think Green Bay takes a step back...this year definately.

But Rodgers has been sitting and learning for a few years now. He wasn't just thrown in there when he wasn't ready, like alex smith.

Obviously Green Bay would be better off with Brett Favre at QB, but I'd much rather have Rodgers than someone like...oh Kitna.

At least with Rodgers there is a chance at a decent QB of the future....with Kitna you just have a washed up never was in s stopgap position with little talent surrounding him.

Green Bay, on the otherhand, has talent on the team to make up for the problem of a first year starter

I think Green Bay takes a step back...this year definately.

But Rodgers has been sitting and learning for a few years now. He wasn't just thrown in there when he wasn't ready, like alex smith.

Obviously Green Bay would be better off with Brett Favre at QB, but I'd much rather have Rodgers than someone like...oh Kitna.

At least with Rodgers there is a chance at a decent QB of the future....with Kitna you just have a washed up never was in s stopgap position with little talent surrounding him.

Green Bay, on the otherhand, has talent on the team to make up for the problem of a first year starter

And, they will probably still draft a QB with promise and not just sit around like some other teams have done.

all of those passes...all of those tds....all of those interceptions...all of those starts...and still only 1 more super bowl win than the lions during that whole time...sad ):

btw, espn: he didn't die--the dude is just going fishing :rolleyes:

all of those passes...all of those tds....all of those interceptions...all of those starts...and still only 1 more super bowl win than the lions during that whole time...sad ):

btw, espn: he didn't die--the dude is just going fishing :rolleyes:

:dunno:

bye, brett.

about 2 years too late....but bye anyway.

4200 28 and 15

13-3 record with the youngest team in the league... Overtime losers to the Super Bowl Champs in the NFC Championship game

I realize that as Detroit Lions fan you have impossible standards to meet -- what with your 7 winning seasons in 45 years and your one playoff victory over the same span -- but it's hard to say that he's tainted his legacy.....

....but that's why you are the board joke :rolleyes:

You will miss Favre kicking your ass.... mark my words.... Fortunately, the Packers will continue to do so...

btw, espn: he didn't die--the dude is just going fishing :thumbsup:

Yup...1 more SB than the Lions will ever see.

More wins than the Lions are likely to see in the next 30 years.

And more denial from Swamp as he knows he wishes #4 would have played for Detroit.

i dunno...despite what his last official pass looked like, he still looks good throwing the ball in those wrangler commercials :thumbsup:

And, they will probably still draft a QB with promise and not just sit around like some other teams have done.

I want Chad Henne!

Edgar Bennett: one Super Bowl Championship :thumbsup:

Barry Sanders: zero :(

I guess Edgar Bennett > Barry Sanders

All of Sanders accomplishments mean nothing....

..... see how stupid you are, sampy?? :thumbsup:

Not even a Packer fan, but share their sadness for the retirement of a legend. Favre was to a generation of football fans what Staubach and Bradshaw were to the one before. He was the QB you pretended to be when you threw yourself a TD pass in your backyard.

Brett Favre decides to not play another year, leaving a very small chance someone will one day catch his interception record. Had he played one more year, it would have been like Cy Young's win total and never be caught.

I'm far from a Packer fan, but all the Favre haters in this thread look like complete and utter dumbasses on your own account, but donhass is making you all look even more stupid. HTH

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3276034

In his voice mail message to Mortensen on Tuesday, Favre said the Packers' lack of pursuit of Moss was not the driving reason why he retired.

"This is not about the Packers and who they got or who they didn't get. I get along fine with [Thompson] and I get along great with [McCarthy]. Do I agree with them all the time? No. But the bottom line is, none of that stuff affected my decision," Favre said.

McCarthy said he and Favre had never discussed bringing in Moss.

"But I can tell you one thing, never once in all my converstaions with Brett this offseason has he ever asked or told me that we had to have Randy Moss for him to come back and play," McCarthy told Mortensen. "Randy Moss' name never came up once. And it bothers me that [Favre's agent] has made this an issue."

Can we please put that crap to rest now?

If they signed him does he? Possibly...and that might be all that could have kept him around.

Were they ever going to try? No...why would they? They have 4 very good WRs. 2 of them being quite young. WR was not a position of need.

From what I have heard...he made the decision a few days ago...so before Moss announced anything (though, having the same agent Im sure he already knew).

Agreed. They have a good, maybe great WR corps. No need to bring in Moss. And yet, it's obvious that Favre was petitioning for the Pack to bring him in. It's also known that he and Moss had spoken over the past weekend. Probably just catching up on what happened on 'Lost' or something. From what is known about the situation, it seems as if Favre really wanted Moss on the team, despite the fact that that wasn't in the best interest of the team itself. So all I'm saying is this, if the fact that Moss didn't sign with the Packers influenced Favre in any way, I think it portrays Favre as a baby. I'll admit I could be wrong on this. He is old...obviously...the dude has more gray than an average 65 year old. He very well could be tired; mentally and physically. And I want the superstars to go out on top. If Favre would have made his decision known three weeks ago, I would have respected it far more than how it has gone down. He might have just decided he couldn't go on. But you have to admit, there is the possibility Favre didn't get his way and that tipped the balance to retire. In which case, yeah, I think it's a little bit of sour grapes. The logic being: I didn't get what I wanted so I'm done.

Agreed. They have a good, maybe great WR corps. No need to bring in Moss. And yet, it's obvious that Favre was petitioning for the Pack to bring him in. It's also known that he and Moss had spoken over the past weekend. Probably just catching up on what happened on 'Lost' or something. From what is known about the situation, it seems as if Favre really wanted Moss on the team, despite the fact that that wasn't in the best interest of the team itself. So all I'm saying is this, if the fact that Moss didn't sign with the Packers influenced Favre in any way, I think it portrays Favre as a baby. I'll admit I could be wrong on this. He is old...obviously...the dude has more gray than an average 65 year old. He very well could be tired; mentally and physically. And I want the superstars to go out on top. If Favre would have made his decision known three weeks ago, I would have respected it far more than how it has gone down. He might have just decided he couldn't go on. But you have to admit, there is the possibility Favre didn't get his way and that tipped the balance to retire. In which case, yeah, I think it's a little bit of sour grapes. The logic being: I didn't get what I wanted so I'm done.

Read above from ESPN. I think his mind was made up before the Moss thing even came up.