Sign in to follow this  
The Moz

The Green Bay 3 wisemen are done if they don't win!

McCarthy, Thompson and whoever the CEO is ( forget the name ) is finished in Green Bay unless Rodgers really is that good and the Packer at the very minimum make the Championship game again. You have the Greatest Green Bay legend of all time ( okay maybe next to Lombardi ) wanting to comeback after having a GREAT season in 07 and taking Green bay to the Title game an almost a Superbowl - and the 3 people in charge are saying .......... naaaaahhhh stay home we don't need ya we got out fella!

These 3 must either be collectively the stupiest bunch around or one of the smartest - no middle Ground. Rodgers excells and Green Bay contends for a Superbowl like last seaosn they look like genius's and All are happy in packer land. They don't measure up to last season ( at least earning a first round bye ) - I think all three of em go. The packers are run publicy the CEO I think at least can be voted out and once that happened Thompson and McCarthy would be gone.

I hope they succeed then, for the sole reason that Favre's little back and forth the past 3 years shows a lack of consideration for the Packers organization. I still like the guy, just saying.

I think it is good for the Packers in the long-term that they don't take Favre back.

McCarthy, Thompson and whoever the CEO is ( forget the name ) is finished in Green Bay unless Rodgers really is that good and the Packer at the very minimum make the Championship game again. You have the Greatest Green Bay legend of all time ( okay maybe next to Lombardi ) wanting to comeback after having a GREAT season in 07 and taking Green bay to the Title game an almost a Superbowl - and the 3 people in charge are saying .......... naaaaahhhh stay home we don't need ya we got out fella!

These 3 must either be collectively the stupiest bunch around or one of the smartest - no middle Ground. Rodgers excells and Green Bay contends for a Superbowl like last seaosn they look like genius's and All are happy in packer land. They don't measure up to last season ( at least earning a first round bye ) - I think all three of em go. The packers are run publicy the CEO I think at least can be voted out and once that happened Thompson and McCarthy would be gone.

and nobody mentions this - what if Favre comes back, Rodgers is traded and Favre stinks the joint up.

Let's forget about Favre, he hasn't been able to take a team to the SB in a decade and he had some pretty good teams to work with. Everyone just assumes Favre will have a great year. He has proven you can’t count on that.

Nobody is losing their job over this.

McCarthy won't be gone. That guy can coach. He reigned in Favre after the Sherman years of no dicipline.

as a friend of mine just said.....Give the Pack credit for drawing a line in the sand. May slow down this retire/unretire bullshat and make Favre be a man of his word.

ps....does green bay really want to pay him 12million to come back as a backup????

Favre was given a few chances. He waited to long.

McCarthy, Thompson and whoever the CEO is ( forget the name ) is finished in Green Bay unless Rodgers really is that good and the Packer at the very minimum make the Championship game again.

"....at the very minimum make the NFC title game?" Nah, I think just making the playoffs would take the heat off. If they do miss the playoffs I don't know if anyone would actually get fired (maybe, I don't know), but they'd sure look stupid - especially if Rodgers has a bad year.

I gotta say, I have respected Thompsons style up to this point. He builds from the draft, keeps players from within. But this move disappoints me. It would be different if The Packers went 7-9 last season and Thompson said he wanted to move on. But they had a 1st round bye and were OT close to the SB.

Thompson should have nipped it in the bud early. Opened his arms to Favre and welcomed him back. Instead, it's dragged out and the two sides are at a point that they can't back down. If Rodgers sucks, Thompson will have to offer up his head as the sacrifice to Packers fans. If Favre succeeds and leads another team to the playoffs, it would be even worse. Thompson is in a no win situation where the only viable place he can do well is if Rodgers succeeds. Which I am not betting on.

Thompson = Jerry Krause !

Krause wanted his own leagacy without Micheal and build a team of of his own -- so he dismantaled a team that just won a title. Thompsons golden boy is Rodgers and he wants him to have a chance and to make his own legacy an with Favre there he can't do that.

Green Bay fails next season and IMO MInnesota with or without Favre wins the Norris no Green Bay and Farve gets a team like Baltimore , Atlanta, or Buffalo to the playoffs - Thompson gotta be gone as with McCarthy.

Favre must be the dumbest S.O.B. in Mississippi. His waffling has hurt his team over the last 3 years and now he still wants to come back. If he had been dedicated to playing from the start or at least make his decisions earlier, the packers would have been able to surround him wiht more talent.

Instead, they draft Rodgers and he sits when they could have used that pick on other talent. then he dicks around again and they draft brohm in case Rodgers dosnt work out.

This dosent even cound the FA that GB could have pulled in (but wouldnt sign with a rookie QB adn a rebuildign season)

Now he wants to come back again with 2 recent high draft picks siting on the bench who cant help his old butt succeed.

Favre is a legend, not denying that, but this team could have been alot better if he had been smarter.

This is a dumb thread.

Nobody at 1265 Lombardi Ave told Favre they didn't want him back. (In fact, Favre hasn't actually said yet that he wants to come back.) The Packers have simply said the landscape has changed and it has.

Favre told the team at the end of March he was returning. They said "great" and were ready to send McCarthy and Thompson to Favre's home. At the last minute, Favre told them he decided to stay retired. So the team has no choice but to stand behind Rodgers 100% and draft/acquire two more QBs. The playbook has been tweaked for Rodgers--this is not the same Favre offense.

It's gotta be tough for Favre and I know it's tough for the Packers brass. To their credit, the Packers said they would welcome Favre back as an active member and cross all other bridges when that time comes.

With McCarthy and Thompson, the Packers are finally as healthy as they were a decade or so ago. Neither gets fired for anything Favre related whether they go 6-10 or 11-5.

This is a dumb thread.

Nobody at 1265 Lombardi Ave told Favre they didn't want him back. (In fact, Favre hasn't actually said yet that he wants to come back.) The Packers have simply said the landscape has changed and it has.

I think it's pretty evident that Favre wants to come back and the Packers don't want him back. Are you also waiting for the video of O.J. killing his wife?

I think it's pretty evident that Favre wants to come back and the Packers don't want him back. Are you also waiting for the video of O.J. killing his wife?

Juice killed his Wife? :wub:

Jesus. First Benoit and now the Juice.

I think it is good for the Packers in the long-term that they don't take Favre back.

i never understood this take. the nfl is a "win right now" league. when a team goes 13-3 and almost goes to the superbowl, it is obvious you are close to or already an elite team...so instead of taking back the hall-of-fame QB who took you there, you want to take a step back and play an unproven QB.

Brian Brohm is now on board "for the long term" you speak of. but while they are this close Favre should be back.

the packers called favre's bluff now favre should call their bluff and say "okay, i'll be backup."

he'd be traded within 24 hours if he said that.

This is a very difficult topic. I believe Favre deserves the right to play. But only for the packers. I don't believe he should tarnish his legacy by going to any other team. I don't see why he would want to do that. He needs to stay retired. Be fair to Rogers, his fans, and his team by gracefully bowing out. There is no reason to keep everyone held hostage every offseason... were tired of it. I used to be a hater, but recenlty I've found a soft spot for him, and have really respected his legacy. He has a deep love for the game, and is probably the most emotional player we've seen. Its going to be difficult for him to leave the game, but its his time. He retired. So lets leave it this way. I want to see his jersey retired against minnesota on monday night, not Favre running out of the tunnel for either team.

Gone if they don't win this year?

And the CEO gone after one year when he had nothing to do with what is going on with Favre?

You forget the entire timeline...you might want to check it out...

Or they realize its not just as cut and dry and saying...come on back Brett...the team is yours. And instead are doing so very cautiously.

I gotta say, I have respected Thompsons style up to this point. He builds from the draft, keeps players from within. But this move disappoints me. It would be different if The Packers went 7-9 last season and Thompson said he wanted to move on. But they had a 1st round bye and were OT close to the SB.

Thompson should have nipped it in the bud early. Opened his arms to Favre and welcomed him back. Instead, it's dragged out and the two sides are at a point that they can't back down. If Rodgers sucks, Thompson will have to offer up his head as the sacrifice to Packers fans. If Favre succeeds and leads another team to the playoffs, it would be even worse. Thompson is in a no win situation where the only viable place he can do well is if Rodgers succeeds. Which I am not betting on.

He did open his arms...back in March when Favre first pulled this...and then backed out.

i never understood this take. the nfl is a "win right now" league. when a team goes 13-3 and almost goes to the superbowl, it is obvious you are close to or already an elite team...so instead of taking back the hall-of-fame QB who took you there, you want to take a step back and play an unproven QB.

Brian Brohm is now on board "for the long term" you speak of. but while they are this close Favre should be back.

Its not as cut and dry as just playing who you think might be the better QB. There is much more involved in what is best for the team and franchise.

as a friend of mine just said.....Give the Pack credit for drawing a line in the sand. May slow down this retire/unretire bullshat and make Favre be a man of his word.

The guy acts with impunity, making himself bigger than the team.

His teammates, especially the young qbs gotta be getting tired of this.

Yeah, everybody loves Brett, yeah what a guy. Guys in that locker roomhave to be fed up with this retired/not retired sideshow.

This isn't boxing. His attention-grabbing indecisevness affects the careers of lots of other people.

He said he was done, and the Packers decided to move on.

That's it.

ps....does green bay really want to pay him 12million to come back as a backup????

Why not, they are not spending it on anything else.

the packers called favre's bluff now favre should call their bluff and say "okay, i'll be backup."

he'd be traded within 24 hours if he said that.

:mellow:

The guy acts with impunity, making himself bigger than the team.

His teammates, especially the young qbs gotta be getting tired of this.

Yeah, everybody loves Brett, yeah what a guy. Guys in that locker roomhave to be fed up with this retired/not retired sideshow.

This isn't boxing. His attention-grabbing indecisevness affects the careers of lots of other people.

He said he was done, and the Packers decided to move on.

That's it.

I agree-Enough already. Remember the Pack asked him to comeback and he said..He could not commit 100%. Time for him and the Packers to move on!

Two things I'm curious about:

1) What if Favre comes back to Green Bay and stinks up the joint, just has an awful year, throwing 20 INTs, the team goes 6-10 or something and misses the playoffs. Then what? The team loses a year of working with Aaron Rodgers and Favre has done nothing but set the team back. Not saying that is what would happen, just saying what if it did.

2) With all of this, when does the NFLPA get involved and say the Packers aren't being fair to poor Brett

This is a very difficult topic. I believe Favre deserves the right to play. But only for the packers. I don't believe he should tarnish his legacy by going to any other team. I don't see why he would want to do that. He needs to stay retired. Be fair to Rogers, his fans, and his team by gracefully bowing out. There is no reason to keep everyone held hostage every offseason... were tired of it. I used to be a hater, but recenlty I've found a soft spot for him, and have really respected his legacy. He has a deep love for the game, and is probably the most emotional player we've seen. Its going to be difficult for him to leave the game, but its his time. He retired. So lets leave it this way. I want to see his jersey retired against minnesota on monday night, not Favre running out of the tunnel for either team.

Does anyone think any dfferently of Joe Montana (Chiefs), Johnny Unitas (Chargers), Emmit Smith (Cards), Joe Namath (Rams), Jerry Rice (Raiders-Seahawks), etc. ?

As a Packer and Favre fan I'm confused by the whole thing. What I would like to see is Favre come back for the Packers or just stay retired. I never thought he would want to go to any other team, even more so this late in his career. I'm confused by Favre. He really makes no sense. To retire then want to come back and be willing to start over with a whole new team, I thought he hated the preperation part of it but still loved the game? If he went to another team he would have to adjust to new players and system, and overall just a total change. And whats the point in comin g back for a sub-par team?

I think we really don't know what has been said between managment and Favre. I think Ted Thompson doesn't want Favre, he wants Rodgers to do well because after all it was his 1st ever pick as GM of the Packers. TT has an ego. I think McCarthy and everyone else wants Favre back. I also think Favre feels like he is getting pushed out. But I don't understand why he would go to another team over it. If he wanted to play he should have never retired and TT would have to bring him back after last years run.

I really don't like how Favre has handled it, but I really don't know exactly what goes on behind closed doors.

Does anyone think any dfferently of Joe Montana (Chiefs), Johnny Unitas (Chargers), Emmit Smith (Cards), Joe Namath (Rams), Jerry Rice (Raiders-Seahawks), etc. ?

Not really. but it would be nice to just end your career with the team you've been with for so long. There was no need for Emmitt to go to the Cards or Jerry to go to the Seahawks.

As a Packer and Favre fan I'm confused by the whole thing. What I would like to see is Favre come back for the Packers or just stay retired. I never thought he would want to go to any other team, even more so this late in his career. I'm confused by Favre. He really makes no sense. To retire then want to come back and be willing to start over with a whole new team, I thought he hated the preperation part of it but still loved the game? If he went to another team he would have to adjust to new players and system, and overall just a total change. And whats the point in comin g back for a sub-par team?

I think we really don't know what has been said between managment and Favre. I think Ted Thompson doesn't want Favre, he wants Rodgers to do well because after all it was his 1st ever pick as GM of the Packers. TT has an ego. I think McCarthy and everyone else wants Favre back. I also think Favre feels like he is getting pushed out. But I don't understand why he would go to another team over it. If he wanted to play he should have never retired and TT would have to bring him back after last years run.

I really don't like how Favre has handled it, but I really don't know exactly what goes on behind closed doors.

I don't get this bold thing...sure TT has an ego...but winning a title is what builds that ego...not who you drafted.

Thompson has shown he wants him back...but will not coddle him or do things just to appease Brett.

TT was on the plane at his house ready to bring him back not long after he retired...then was there again in May...Brett said no both times.

:shocking:

Ask Jerry Krause - could have one at least 1 more title if he keeps the Pippen / Jackson / Jordan thing going - opts to destroy the team to rebuild his own team!

He went as far as saying it's not players that win titles its the executive team.

THompson = Krause :thumbsdown:

:shocking:

Ask Jerry Krause - could have one at least 1 more title if he keeps the Pippen / Jackson / Jordan thing going - opts to destroy the team to rebuild his own team!

He went as far as saying it's not players that win titles its the executive team.

THompson = Krause :thumbsdown:

There is the key, "could have one at least 1 more". Favre hasn't won one in a decade and he has had plenty of talent to work with. If he couldn't pull it off last year why will he do it this year? I mean he was at home in OT with the ball what more does a "Legend" need?

I don't get this bold thing...sure TT has an ego...but winning a title is what builds that ego...not who you drafted.

Thompson has shown he wants him back...but will not coddle him or do things just to appease Brett.

TT was on the plane at his house ready to bring him back not long after he retired...then was there again in May...Brett said no both times.

Then I just don't understand what Brett wants? And why he asked for a release? Makes no sense to not come back with a good PAcker team, but be willing to return with a average or sub-par team, and have to start all over. Obviously that isn't done yet, but asking for a release is basically saying so. Just doesn't add up to me.

There is the key, "could have one at least 1 more". Favre hasn't won one in a decade and he has had plenty of talent to work with. If he couldn't pull it off last year why will he do it this year? I mean he was at home in OT with the ball what more does a "Legend" need?

made a bad throw. but look at the plays he made all season with the youngest team in the league. If Favre wasn't the QB last year, the Packers don't get a shot at going to the SB. Did he have to rise to the occasion? Yes? But he didn't. It isn't easy to win SBs. He has had to do it with a lack of a D in the early 2000s and recently young players all over the field. To only have 1 losing season is crazy. Yes I know its about SBs, but they don't just come around every year just because you have a good QB.

made a bad throw. but look at the plays he made all season with the youngest team in the league. If Favre wasn't the QB last year, the Packers don't get a shot at going to the SB. Did he have to rise to the occasion? Yes? But he didn't. It isn't easy to win SBs. He has had to do it with a lack of a D in the early 2000s and recently young players all over the field. To only have 1 losing season is crazy. Yes I know its about SBs, but they don't just come around every year just because you have a good QB.

I am saying Favre is not as good as the media makes him out to be. It is time for him to retire.

Maybe this will help get my point across.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=3281535

After beating the San Francisco 49ers in the 1997 NFC Championship Game, Favre won just three of his last 10 playoff games.

Favre's passer rating in his last 12 postseason games was a pedestrian 77.8. In his last five wild-card games, he went 2-3 with more interceptions (nine) than touchdown passes (seven). In his last three divisional playoff games, he went 1-2 with seven TDs and seven interceptions. That's a 3-5 record with 14 touchdown passes and 16 picks.

In two of his last four postseason appearances, Favre threw two of the most unthinkable playoff interceptions in NFL history, both in overtime -- to Brian Dawkins of the Philadelphia Eagles in 2003 and to Corey Webster of the New York Giants in January. In fact, Favre is the only quarterback in NFL history to throw overtime interceptions in two playoff games. In his last nine playoff games, Favre threw 18 interceptions.

Sorry, I'm a Packer fan and I remember all of this. I loved watching Favre play over the last 16 years but enough is enough.

:lol:

THompson = Krause :dunno:

Thompson did not opt to destroy the team...Favre retired on his own. The rest of the team is still there.

jarrett bush to fall on the fumble instead of trying to pick it up? he does that and it never gets to the favre play (if my frozen mind remembers correctly)

i love brett..always have..but im a TT fan also..he did good things with the seahawks...brett cant keep with the drama..and say this isnt the team he wanted..the packers would get him a wide out if he said 3 years and thats it...holmgren has said this is the last year and thats that...brett shouldve done the same...

lets not bash brett for any playoff game done in the mike sherman era..worst packer playoff coach EVAH...

To sum it up for me....Favre fan. Hate the way he handled it. Think he should have just not retired in the first place. Hope he doesn't play for any other team.

To sum it up for me....Favre fan. Hate the way he handled it. Think he should have just not retired in the first place. Hope he doesn't play for any other team.

Well said...may I add....both he and TT need to shut up in the media until this thing is worked out.

jarrett bush to fall on the fumble instead of trying to pick it up? he does that and it never gets to the favre play (if my frozen mind remembers correctly)

i love brett..always have..but im a TT fan also..he did good things with the seahawks...brett cant keep with the drama..and say this isnt the team he wanted..the packers would get him a wide out if he said 3 years and thats it...holmgren has said this is the last year and thats that...brett shouldve done the same...

lets not bash brett for any playoff game done in the mike sherman era..worst packer playoff coach EVAH...

Ouch, that one still hurts, I can see it like it just happened.