Sign in to follow this  
BMoney

SiriusXM set to die

because people watch tv more than they listen to the radio?

why pay for football or baseball when your local fave teams are free?

So? Point is it's the same thing. TV is free yet people are willing to pay for more channels. Radio is free but people are willing to pay for more stations. I'm in the car for over an hour a day. That whole time I'm listening to so sort of radio. If I had a portable receiver (which I would need since the site is blocked) I'd listen to it at work.

Your argument and TNG argument is probably the same one people had when cable first came out.

WSJ:

Sirius XM Radio Inc. is seeking an investment from Liberty Media Corp., people familiar with the matter say, in a last-ditch effort to fend off an unsolicited takeover approach from satellite entrepreneur Charles Ergen.

The talks set the stage for a battle between the leading U.S. satellite-television providers -- Liberty-controlled DirectTV Group Inc. and Mr. Ergen's Dish Network Corp. -- for control of the country's sole satellite-radio operator.

Liberty, which is controlled by billionaire John Malone, emerged as a potential "white knight" for Sirius after Mr. Ergen made an unsolicited offer late last year to take control of the radio operator.

Though the talks between Sirius and Liberty are advanced, a deal remains far from certain, a person familiar with the matter said. It wasn't clear how much Liberty would be willing to invest in Sirius and whether it would end up with control. Mr. Malone is known as a careful negotiator and is unlikely to cut a deal in haste.

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/story/1046...E&cm_ite=NA

Sirius XM Radio(SIRI Quote - Cramer on SIRI - Stock Picks) is seeking an investment from Liberty Media(LINTA Quote - Cramer on LINTA - Stock Picks), the Wall Street Journal reports, in a last-ditch effort to fend off an unsolicited takeover approach from satellite entrepreneur Charles Ergen.

The talks set the stage for a battle between the Liberty-controlled DirectTV(DTV Quote - Cramer on DTV - Stock Picks) and Ergen's Dish Network for control of the country's sole satellite-radio operator.

Liberty, controlled by billionaire John Malone, emerged as a potential "white knight" for Sirius after Ergen made an unsolicited offer in late 2008 to take control of the radio operator, according to the newspaper.

Though the talks between Sirius and Liberty are advanced, a deal remains far from certain, the Journal reports, citing a person familiar with the matter. It wasn't clear how much Liberty would be willing to invest in Sirius and whether it would end up with control.

translation

bidding war = :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Honestly, who is gong to PAY for radio? Radio is free and it's always been free. So you're paying to listen to shock-jocks and cuss words really.

I mean, some of the ONLY music stations are cool, like the ones I get thru my cable and all of that, but to pay JUST to hear Stern or Opie and Anthony? No thanks, there is local crappy shock-jocks I can listen to for free.

But you aren't listening for free, you are listening to the commecials. that is your payment. My cable wire doesn't reach my truck always and I enjoy the freedom of speech. It's worth it to me.

:thumbsup:

I got 6mo of it with my truck and i gotta say I like it. and I'm one of the guys who said

I wouldn't pay for radio. it's coming up soon and I think I'll renew.

50's on 5, nfl, fox/cnn, espnradio/espntv, 80s on 8 etc. :thumbsup:

actually bought a few k shares yesterday under 6cents. what the hell why not

I can't wait until someone buys them out so I can buy some stock

yesterday was probably the day to get in at under 6 cents. course it could half that

again today, but with bankruptcy only being a rumour and these buyout talks being more

a reality, i'm gambling on a bidding war for sirius sending it back up.

yesterday was probably the day to get in at under 6 cents. course it could half that

again today, but with bankruptcy only being a rumour and these buyout talks being more

a reality, i'm gambling on a bidding war for sirius sending it back up.

if there is a bankruptcy, won't that mean you lose your investment?

Depends what part of the capital structure you invested in. Chances are the equity will be worthless but the debt will recover something based on a new set of projections.

In response to some others, just because a company files bankruptcy doesn't mean it's going out of business. It generally just means that they have way too much debt and they can't afford the interest expense. Filing for bankruptcy basically allows them to reorganize with a better capital structure but they will continue to operate. Subscribers probably won't notice a thing. People who invested in the stock or bonds of the company initially won't get all their money back. Those who bought bonds in the current 25% of par range might make out nicely. Distressed investing.

that's why i said i'm gambling on the price going up. sure you could get wiped out but like i said, what

the hell, why not. i'm betting that other companies like this will realize moving in now they can get a business

with 20m subscribers on the cheap with a buy out. with the positive chatter last night who knows it could go

over 10 cents with people grabbinga bargain and i double up in a day

:thumbsup:

So? Point is it's the same thing. TV is free yet people are willing to pay for more channels. Radio is free but people are willing to pay for more stations. I'm in the car for over an hour a day. That whole time I'm listening to so sort of radio. If I had a portable receiver (which I would need since the site is blocked) I'd listen to it at work.

Your argument and TNG argument is probably the same one people had when cable first came out.

I listen online, in the car, and on a boombox. I use it for tailgating, outside in the summer, and the kids listen after dinner to classic rock. I probably get 5-6 hours of listening in during the course of a normal day.

When I am stuck with regular radio, I am sick of the commercials and trying to find a half-decent station.

I listen online, in the car, and on a boombox. I use it for tailgating, outside in the summer, and the kids listen after dinner to classic rock. I probably get 5-6 hours of listening in during the course of a normal day. When I am stuck with regular radio, I am sick of the commercials and trying to find a half-decent station.

Holy crap, that's a lot of radio, unless you are commuting over 2 hours to and from work, that's a lot of radio listening at home. There can't be that much Patriots talk now in the off season can there? :banana:

Holy crap, that's a lot of radio, unless you are commuting over 2 hours to and from work, that's a lot of radio listening at home. There can't be that much Patriots talk now in the off season can there? :banana:

I listen while working at home, in the shower, on the road, during dinner, and while I am at the office. I generally catch almost all of Howard Stern during the day and listen to music at night while having dinner and hanging with the kids afterwards.

I don't listen to much NFL Radio, especially during the offseason. :mad:

up 30% :rolleyes: The news is still trending positive, I'm going to look for a bit more before getting back out.

not bad for a day

I mean, some of the ONLY music stations are cool, like the ones I get thru my cable and all of that, but to pay JUST to hear Stern or Opie and Anthony? No thanks, there is local crappy shock-jocks I can listen to for free.

I've had Sirius for several years and have spent maybe 10 minutes listening to Stern and I don't even know who Opie and Anthony are.

I love satellite radio, its an absolute must have if you're a baseball fan. I drive all day seeing customers, and its nice being able to listen to the Cubs (until I realize that they're the Cubs and I'll never see a world series title :( )

hit 23 cents today. B)

:unsure: :overhead: :banana:

You pretty much owe the topic starter 10% and the rest of us who posted before you bought 1%.

We are not asking much. Right?!

:headbanger:

You pretty much owe the topic starter 10% and the rest of us who posted before you bought 1%.

:wave:

:lol: Talk to my agents

I bought a brand new car in August, it came with 6 months of Sirius, ended Feb 12th. I have not signed up for more, because I work 78 feet from my house.

I bought a brand new car in August, it came with 6 months of Sirius, ended Feb 12th. I have not signed up for more, because I work 78 feet from my house.

I read somewhere that this is a big part of their current revenue woes. Many of their new signups were coming with new car sales, and when those sales dived, so did their new subscriptions.

I read somewhere that this is a big part of their current revenue woes. Many of their new signups were coming with new car sales, and when those sales dived, so did their new subscriptions.

I think that they are much closer to being cash-flow positive. Their subscriptions are up towards 20M, which should be bringing them over $2B in annualized revenue even if there is some churn in subscribers. They needed to have the DOJ approve the merger sooner so that they could cut duplicate expenses sooner, but the big issue is that Sirius and XM accumulated a TON of debt when they were separate and the service of that debt is keeping them down. That is why a filing would not be so bad.

their current woes are msotly from this debt coming to a head and not being able to manipulate it like they used to. Dun have

to worry about them going off the air, whether it was a takeover, buyout, bankruptcy, etc they're still gonna be on. I gambled

my $$ on no bankruptcy. In most scenarios the shareholders get screwed, not the listeners. Luckily no screwing going on :rolleyes:

:wall:

i bought 1800 shares at 11 cents..a lil late but i wasnt sure if it was dying or not..after reading the posts of the owners here, i can see it needs help but isnt dying....i feel like i owe people here..forget about owing me...it wasnt a thread to bash it..i just cant get myself to get one..id go to circuit city and get one cheap but alas...even closing out..they arent cheap..no wonder CC is dead...

now im reading where people should sell it..meh..its a penny stock for now...may as well hold on and see if that sucker actually hits a buck :overhead:

:wall:

i bought 1800 shares at 11 cents..a lil late but i wasnt sure if it was dying or not..after reading the posts of the owners here, i can see it needs help but isnt dying....i feel like i owe people here..forget about owing me...it wasnt a thread to bash it..i just cant get myself to get one..id go to circuit city and get one cheap but alas...even closing out..they arent cheap..no wonder CC is dead...

now im reading where people should sell it..meh..its a penny stock for now...may as well hold on and see if that sucker actually hits a buck :overhead:

I always tell my friend, put you money where your mouth is or shut the fock up. So I will.

Yep, heard/read the same thing. They probably think it had more to do with Howard or the Oprah as to why their memberships were growing.

Wow!

You can trave coast-to-coast in your car without having to search for new radio stations? Some people travel great distances in their car on a regular basis and are willing to spend a few bucks a month to not have to constantly search the radio for some local, po-dunk station.

And then there are people like you who get great reception in your mom's basement.

To each his own.

LOL. IPOD. I'll listen to the tunes I like when I want for free. But then what kind of jackass travels coast to coast in a car? I fly. As you waste time, I am already there.

FYI. This stupid idea is done. Now people don't have $ to waste on 'luxuries' like this ignorance. It won't survive this downturn.

Yep, heard/read the same thing. They probably think it had more to do with Howard or the Oprah as to why their memberships were growing.

If it wasn't for car sales including this ######, this failed ripoff would have come to an end long ago.

If it wasn't for car sales including this ######, this failed ripoff would have come to an end long ago.

I think you don't have a focking clue what you're talking about. Whether the Sirius/XM business model is the right one might still be in question, but the viability of satellite radio isn't.

I think you don't have a focking clue what you're talking about. Whether the Sirius/XM business model is the right one might still be in question, but the viability of satellite radio isn't.

The fact that it has failed says otherwise.

Hell, I canceled cable TV before I canceled my XM radio. Satellite radio was awesome.

The fact that it has failed says otherwise.

SiriusXm has as many subscribers as Direct tv, time warner, comcast, etc

:thumbsdown: not fail :thumbsdown:

i did a lifetime year 4.5 years ago, so basically got my money worth if it dies tomorrow anyways (cost $500 for lifetime then)

actually bought a few k shares yesterday under 6cents. what the hell why not

:music_guitarred: hit 77 cents today :lol:

gotta lub this kinda news

As the week begins, we at Satwaves are looking forward to reporting from Sirius XM Radio’s (SIRI) holiday hardware and accessory event this Wednesday, August 26, 2009. Already the excitement is being felt around the world as news of a new dock that will convert nearly 40 million Apple (AAPL) iPhone and iPod devices into fully functioning satellite radios begins to radiate throughout the world wide web. Although the stock of Sirius XM Radio has been on a tear recently, which has investors giddy over their above average gains, the real winner is the satellite radio consumer.