Sign in to follow this  
BMoney

SiriusXM set to die

does anyone have the lifetime plan or anything like a 2-3 year plan?...

i never did get it...with sirius set to file for bankruptcy by next tuesday...im glad i didnt...

where did they go wrong?...

howards contract?

I think the idea is awesome, wonder why it didn't take off?

Howard Sterns ridiculous contract might be one small slice of the pie. I think I read where quite a bit of the money was in stock options though- I might be way wrong.

It's still a shame satelite radio didn't work this time around.

They aren't going under. They could file for a re-org, but they are not going under. They have a credit line that exceeds what is owed to their near-term creditors.

Now, they might be up for a hostile takeover, but they are not closing their doors.

I would expect that Oprah's contract would be the first to go. She gets half as much as Howard, doesn't work at all (hard to do when compared to Howard), and brings in no listeners.

Are you serious? :thumbsup:

WEak, even for you..... :dunno:

I think the idea is awesome, wonder why it didn't take off?

It did take off, in an incredible way. Having a popular product doesn't mean you can't be insolvent or go bankrupt. You still have to control your costs and manage your revenues.

I think the guy that runs/owns Direct TV or some other major company, I forget specifically who, has recently been buying up tons of SiriusXM stock. He is on record as saying Mel would be fired. Soooooooo, Mel decides to do the bankruptcy thing as a measure of last resort to hang on to the company. The stockholders hate Mel, as he is on the verge of killing both XM AND Sirius, when one or the other might have survived. Sure, the Stern contract hurt a lot, but also put Sirius on the map. A classic win/lose situation. I hope this hostile takeover succeeds before it's too late.

All I know is that I need my daily Opie & Anthony fix, along with Ron & Fez. I can't imagine how dreary it would be without my MP3 files in riding a subway or sitting at my desk with headphones.

All I know is that I need my daily Opie & Anthony fix, along with Ron & Fez. I can't imagine how dreary it would be without my MP3 files in riding a subway or sitting at my desk with headphones.

so what you're saying is that you may be a little on the grumpy side if this thing goes kaput?

they spent too much on radio personailites in an attempt to attract subscribers.

and when people arent buying cars, losing jobs, losing homes, etc, well, they go back to "free" radio

i think

I think the guy that runs/owns Direct TV or some other major company, I forget specifically who, has recently been buying up tons of SiriusXM stock. He is on record as saying Mel would be fired. Soooooooo, Mel decides to do the bankruptcy thing as a measure of last resort to hang on to the company. The stockholders hate Mel, as he is on the verge of killing both XM AND Sirius, when one or the other might have survived. Sure, the Stern contract hurt a lot, but also put Sirius on the map. A classic win/lose situation. I hope this hostile takeover succeeds before it's too late.

at 5 cents per share..it IS tempting...

that is..if you knew that a big player was looking to snatch it up...heck, howard stern himself could..couldnt he?

so what you're saying is that you may be a little on the grumpy side if this thing goes kaput?

Well, I'll be OK for a week or so, since that's about how far behind I am in listening to my downloads, plus a few weeks of Best Ofs I haven't listened to, so maybe it will take a month...

but yes, that is exactly what I am saying. I will have a mental meltdown and not be so disgustingly nice to people.

The guy used to own Dish Network. He is not buying the stock. He is buying up the debt, so that he can force them into bankruptcy so that he can buy it cheap and then probably sell off the satellites or as a whole (see: Dish Network).

XM came with my car and I signed up for another year after my initial 3 month trial ran up. I enjoy it much better than free radio.

That's one of their big problems. Most of their subscriptions come from new car sales and with the automotive market in the tank there isn't much room for growth.

I seriously doubt they are going to die. I read an article back in August last year that said they had 19 million subsribers, only Comcast had more (24 million). Howard Stern did what he was supposed to do, bring subscribers. They'll be fine, the bankruptcy would be to reorg their debt, not die :thumbsup:

I was thinking of pulling the trigger on a 3 year deal, but stuck to my monthly rate. I love it. Outlaw country is one of the best stations of all time. I guess they went to XM's blues station, it has gone way downhill. They are going to add a couple bucks a month in March if you want to listen to on your computer. They waive it if you do the 3 year deal. never tuned in on the computer. But would like the option. :mad:

:mad:

Phillybear, this is what makes you my favorite poster of all time. You're one of the only people that truly understands the need for O and A.

It's amazing that this stupid idea (of charging $ for what everyone can get for free) actually lasted this long. How many of you tards actually wasted $ on this ######? :mad:

It's amazing that this stupid idea (of charging $ for what everyone can get for free) actually lasted this long. How many of you tards actually wasted $ on this ######? :mad:

I know. Imagine people actually pay for cable tv when they can just get it for free too! Idiots!

It's amazing that this stupid idea (of charging $ for what everyone can get for free) actually lasted this long. How many of you tards actually wasted $ on this ######? :lol:

I seriously hate commercials. I am willing to pay for no idiotic commercials, better music variety, and better sports coverage. Guess I am a tard.

:music_guitarred:

It's amazing that this stupid idea (of charging $ for what everyone can get for free) actually lasted this long. How many of you tards actually wasted $ on this ######? :music_guitarred:

Local radio here (Omaha) sucks. I want to listen to good tunes and NFL radio when I'm driving to and from work. I could listen to my CD's but I'm tired of them, and my Ipod I could hook up to my stereo (for $200 for Ipod system connect thing) but then I'd probably get tired of the music on my ipod and I'd have to keep buying new songs which costs money too.

I seriously hate commercials. I am willing to pay for no idiotic commercials, better music variety, and better sports coverage. Guess I am a tard.

:music_guitarred:

The talk radio is much better as well. I definitely get my money's worth each month.

It's amazing that this stupid idea (of charging $ for what everyone can get for free) actually lasted this long. How many of you tards actually wasted $ on this ######? :music_guitarred:

Wow!

You can trave coast-to-coast in your car without having to search for new radio stations? Some people travel great distances in their car on a regular basis and are willing to spend a few bucks a month to not have to constantly search the radio for some local, po-dunk station.

And then there are people like you who get great reception in your mom's basement.

To each his own.

Phillybear, this is what makes you my favorite poster of all time. You're one of the only people that truly understands the need for O and A.

Where else am I going to steal material from?

I respect them greatly for defending free speech across the board. They are kindred spirits. Jimmy Norton and Anthony are...it's amazing how fast they come up with the perfect line for every situation and then challenge each other to top the other. Opie keeps the show moving along like some kind of demented conductor. I love the frequent multiple standups on each show for hours at a time. There is no ego on the show. None. Zip. Yeah, call me a fanboy.

I respect them greatly for defending free speech across the board. They are kindred spirits. Jimmy Norton and Anthony are...it's amazing how fast they come up with the perfect line for every situation and then challenge each other to top the other. Opie keeps the show moving along like some kind of demented conductor. I love the frequent multiple standups on each show for hours at a time. There is no ego on the show. None. Zip. Yeah, call me a fanboy.

I have to admit that these guys have grown on me. I didn't really care for them at first but i listen to them frequently now.

I grew up listening to them on WBCN....they are 100% better than that clown Stern.

where did they go wrong?...

Honestly, who is gong to PAY for radio? Radio is free and it's always been free. So you're paying to listen to shock-jocks and cuss words really.

I mean, some of the ONLY music stations are cool, like the ones I get thru my cable and all of that, but to pay JUST to hear Stern or Opie and Anthony? No thanks, there is local crappy shock-jocks I can listen to for free.

I have to admit that these guys have grown on me. I didn't really care for them at first but i listen to them frequently now.

That's the key. Getting to know the characters of the show, especially the main ones. Givng them a fair chance. I don't have enought adjectives to describe Jimmy Norton, by far my favorite stand up working today. It took me over a year to figure out all the interns, producers, and contributors to the show.

Which is kind of like growing to like the Stern show in the 80's and 90's. Once you got to know the characters, you become a fan.

but to pay JUST to hear Stern or Opie and Anthony? No thanks, there is local crappy shock-jocks I can listen to for free.

I download for free. I'm breaking the law.

I download for free. I'm breaking the law.

Feel as though nobody cares if you live or die? :thumbsup:

I grew up listening to them on WBCN....they are 100% better than that clown Stern.

It's so focking stupid they got yanked off so many of their syndicated stations. Over and over again, to cut costs, the station would put out the same press release "the citizens of our city didn't want to hear a syndicated show, and demanded to hear Jeremy and Smells Like Teen Spirite every hour." What? You mean that what made Stern or Rush or Hannity so huge won't work in Albequerque? Just say you are cutting costs in a bad economy. Nobody cares about FM music. O&A's rating in cities they got yanked off were ridiculously good. #1 to #5 in their key demos, winning their time slot, but nope, not good enough to stay on the air on terrestrial radio. Dumbass programmers.

Feel as though nobody cares if you live or die? :thumbsup:

I don't care if I live or die. :mad:

Honestly, who is gong to PAY for radio? Radio is free and it's always been free. So you're paying to listen to shock-jocks and cuss words really.

I mean, some of the ONLY music stations are cool, like the ones I get thru my cable and all of that, but to pay JUST to hear Stern or Opie and Anthony? No thanks, there is local crappy shock-jocks I can listen to for free.

people who like shows that got hammered by janet jackson's bewb :thumbsup:

people who like shows that got hammered by janet jackson's bewb :thumbsup:

Agreed. Janet's boobs killed radio.

THATS how i always felt...

1 had football....but im never in a car during football games...im either at a game or watching it

and the other had baseball..and my car radio can pick up baseball from minny to ny...

and as far as a long cross country drive and having to find a new station...that doesnt happen THAT quick...every so many hours..but I think looking for a local station on a trip is part of the charm of a trip....plus if u drive a long way around here...youre eventually going to switch it to local to keep up with local weather...

if you love O and A or Howard as much as some here do..again, I can see it..Ive never even heard Howard on the radio...

i wonder who will step up to the plate..not blockbuster, as they look to be dying also...ill say Fox.. :thumbsup:

Why pay for cable when TV is free? :thumbsup: It's exactly the same thing.

Why pay for cable when TV is free? :thumbsup: It's exactly the same thing.

because people watch tv more than they listen to the radio?

why pay for football or baseball when your local fave teams are free?