Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

The Geek Golf thread 2009 Edition

I'm addicted, it's plain and simple. I played sports all my life growning up and once all that was done and I was out of college I needed a new challenge. Along came golf. Only been playing about 7/8 years now but I've got the bug. It's all I think about.

So anyway I figured that since spring has sprung and some of the geeks are hitting the links we could have a thread. Better than starting another poop thread, or President bashing. :overhead:

I career'd it on Saturday and broke 80 for the first time ever (on a legit course from the blue's). 79 baby! Eagle on 3 and a birdie on 6. :dunno:

Let's meet the Golfers:

Handicap: Not sure, usually shoot in the high 80's.

Career round: 79

Irons: Mizuno MX-23's

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Beer: Usually a light domestic on the course. Cigar is optional

I've played a few times this year when the weather allows at home. Just got back from vacation and played a couple times in San Diego. Shot 94 and 85 in gym shoes and someone else's clubs. Was pretty pleased with it cuz I played on tough, narrow courses. Normally shoot in the low to mid 80s.

No telling when I will play this year. With 2 kids its harder to get out.

Handicap - nothing official, usually shoot around an 82-85 on the decent courses around here.

Career round - 76 on a local muni

Irons - Armour 845s

Driver - Ping G2

Putter - Titleist Futura Phantom Mallet

Beer - not sure why, but Coors light has always been my golf beer, and I don't drink it all that much other times.

Beer - not sure why, but Coors light has always been my golf beer, and I don't drink it all that much other times.

Yeah, I leave the heavier beers off the golf course. I mean fock, you are doing something active. I realize you aren't running a marathon or anything, but drinking a heavy beer in the sun for four hours while trying to stay somewhat hydrated and actually halfway perform is hard. I love drinking beer while golfing, but I don't want to get all tired and bloated. Same for liquor. I tried drinking liquor on the course one day. By the eighth hole who really gives a rats ass about golf anymore? We stayed at the bar in the clubhouse and never made the back nine.

Driver - King Cobra

Irons - Calloway X-18

Putter - Ping

Golf Cart - 2004 Club car (new focking stereo just installed :rolleyes: )

Course opened today, no carts yet so I will not go until they allow them. Too much like work to walk the focking thing with a twelve pack :unsure:

As far as my game goes.....I'll have birdie putts on six to eight holes a round and end up with boggie on all but one where I'll get a double focking boggie. I can't put for sh1t :dunno:

Handicap: 8

Career round: 74

Irons: Ping I10s

Driver: Titleist 909D3

Putter: Scottie Cameron Studio Select Square Back

Beer: Bud Light

Handicap: 13 as of today.

Career round: 78

Irons: Precept Tour Premium Forged Irons

Driver: Titleist 905

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

Beer: Usually a domestic on the course.

Have been playing every Sunday and Wednesday for the past few weeks. Best round so far is an 81. My putting and chipping are still rusty but am getting better each round. Missed a two footer for birdie to win eight skins yesterday. FAWK!!!

What friendly betting games do you like to play? We play a dot game. Win the hole, birdie or eagle the hole, sand saves, putts longer than the flag, greenies on par threes. Usually a dollar a dot. Somtimes carry overs but mostly no carry overs.

Handicap: Now 8

Handicap: 20 years ago 5-6

Career round: 68 three times, 2 in High school, 1 in my early 20's

Irons: Cleveland CG-7 Tour

Driver: Titleist G-5

Played a bunch in Feb. while in fla. / 80 at Dural from the blues :(

Played for the first time up north yesterday. :pointstosky: a rough 84, but the course was in good shape for this time of the year (http://www.wintonburyhills.com/ )

Played for the first time last weekend. Shot 84, which is good from me.

Handicap: 17

Irons: Tommy Armour 845's

Career Round: 78

Driver: Some old Big Bertha

Beer: Yes please

I could play 36 holes every day of my life, I enjoy it that much. Just love the game. Teaching it to my son right now. Totally awesome.

Handicap - Used to be a 10.5 or something..Nowhere that low anymore

Career round - 81 on a par 72, quite a few 27's and one 26 at the local par 3 place I usually play at.

Irons - Top Flight somethings about 9 years old.

Driver - Can't hit a driver

Putter - Some expensive Ping from 7 years ago

Beer - 12 pack of Coors Light

Also, 2 Aces :pointstosky:

Handicap: 13 as of today.

Career round: 78

Irons: Precept Tour Premium Forged Irons

Driver: Titleist 905

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

Beer: Usually a domestic on the course.

Have been playing every Sunday and Wednesday for the past few weeks. Best round so far is an 81. My putting and chipping are still rusty but am getting better each round. Missed a two footer for birdie to win eight skins yesterday. FAWK!!!

What friendly betting games do you like to play? We play a dot game. Win the hole, birdie or eagle the hole, sand saves, putts longer than the flag, greenies on par threes. Usually a dollar a dot. Somtimes carry overs but mostly no carry overs.

Depends who Im with on the betting.

If its just the one guy wanting to bet we usually just settle on the $5 nassau.

If the whole foursome wants in on the action we do Wolf.

yes

Handicap: Don't have a current handicap, probably 22ish. Used to be a 14.

Career round: 81

Irons: GolfSmith Somethings

Driver: R5

Putter: Ping Anser. I've had it for over 20 years

Beer: Usually a light domestic on the course. Cigar is optional

I used to play a couple times a week. Now it's a handful of times a year. Crappy part is my swing is probably as good now as it's ever been - maybe not as long, but more consistent - but I just don't play enough to keep my short-game and putting sharp enough to make good scores. I still love the game though and plan to get serious again when the kids are a little older.

We usually play 'Captains' when we're betting.

Handicap: 17. Lowest was 13.8

Career round: 82

Irons: TaylorMade R7

Driver: King Cobra

Putter: Odyssey 2-ball SRT

Beer: Whatever is in the bag, but usually I bring vodka and mix with Gatorade. I have a portable humidor for cigars (Macanudo, Onyx)

I like to have fun more than being seriously trying to improve my game. I want to play better, but not that much. I do count every stroke and play by the rules. :rolleyes:

Handicap: 15

Career round: 80 about 8 times. It's like a wall.

Irons: Callaway Big Bertha

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha

Putter: Ping Cushin

Beer: Bud Light.

I was about a 13 handicap 7 or 8 years ago but lost it and have been a 17 or so the last few years as I became a 2x a month golfer.

Now I am trending downward again.. I took 3 months completely off this winter to work really hard on my swing without letting a ball get in the way. I've come back this year striking better than ever and playing to about a 12 in limited rounds.

I'm confident I'll get into the 70's sometime this summer as I've never hit the ball this well.

Handicap: My swing

Career round: 64 (for 9 holes)

Irons: The metal ones in the bag

Driver: The duct taped wooden ones

Putter: Some KMart special for $19.95

Beer: Corona or Root if I'm driving far

:doublethumbsup:

Handicap: Has ballooned up to a 12. Was a 9, had a terrible year last year and looking to improve this year.

Career Round: 76. 37 multiple times for 9 holes.

Irons: Titleist 762s. Getting older, but I love them.

Driver: Titleist 983k. Looking for a new driver as we speak.

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2. Got it when it first came out and I putt well. Best part of my game. If something works I don't fix it.

Other Clubs: 52 degree Vokey. Ben Hogan something or other 60 degree. Calloway Stealhead 2 5 wood.

Golf Balls: Pro V 1s if I'm playing serious. Any other time I really don't care.

Beer: Light beer damnit, you snobby beer freaks get off my golf course :unsure:

Weekdays: I walk

Weekends: I ride

looks like some decent golfers here. you can know everything about a person after just one round of golf with them.

current hdcp: 5.7 (but it really feels more like 8...i don't shoot 77 every day)

career round: 70 in a tournament, but that was 20 years ago. shot 80 this year from the tips, pretty cool from the wayback.

irons: taylor made r7 tp's, +3 degrees upright...who knew that little push was a bad lie angle?

driver: orlimar hip-ti 420, still not been knocked out of the bag after all the new models that have come along.

putter: this springs it's an odyssey white hot 2 ball (lefty, though i swing the other clubs right...)

beer: bud

I shot a 76 On Sunday. Only the second time in fifteen years I have broken eighty. Very nice feeling walking off the course. Sad thing is, I'll probably go out and shoot a ninety next time. That's golf.

I retired 6 years ago and haven't picked up a club since. I broke the 100 barrier and shot a legit 99. I stayed composed for 18 holes. Prior to that I had a throwing the golf club problem after 8's and 9's. Figured I should quit b4 my blood pressure rose any higher. I tried to sell both sets of clubs in our garage sale last year. $50 for the entire set - no takers

I play 18 atleast once a week and drive balls in the back yard almost daily. I've been playing consistently for about 3 years.

Handicap: 18. I shoot in the high 80's to low 90's on most par 70-72 courses.

Career round: 78 (par 70 course)

Irons: Titleist AP2

Driver: Cleveland Launcher

Putter: Odyssey White Steel

Beer: usually Modelo or Tecate. Anything that fits in the koozie will do though.

BTW: anyone interested in their handicap, check out http://www.myscorecard.com/cgi-bin/index.pl. It's free to try the first month and only 10$ a year.