Sign in to follow this  
thekid65

League Tiebreaks

We've been having a little discussion in one of my leagues, about using bench points as a tie-break. I'm sure at some point this has been discussed here, but I'd like to get some fresh opinions.

A little background, prior to the beginning of the season, I voiced my displeasure about using bench points as a tiebreak. As a relative newcomer (only 2nd year in this league) to this particular league, by gripe pretty much fell on deaf ears. Of course, guess what happens in week one. I lose because of the bench tiebreak. In this league we have 3 tiebreaks.

#1. Most total starter Combined TDs

#2. Higher bench points total

#3. Highest individual starter score

Of course, we were still tied after the #1 tiebreak...and it came down to bench points, which cost me the victory (I would have won the #3 tiebreak). It is, what it is, and I'm OK with that.

But what I'd like input from you all on is whether bench points should even be considered to be used as a tiebreak. I'm of the opinion that they shouldnt be. It rewards poor team management, and besides.. these guys are sitting on the bench.. they are irrelevant!

What say ye? (gonna link my league to this discussion to see the input...so please voice your opinions so I can attempt to bring about change for next year).

bench points shows who has a better team, although it may also show who is the worse coach for benching a good player.

' date='12 October 2010 - 04:31 PM' timestamp='1286918957' post='4334388']

bench points shows who has a better team, although it may also show who is the worse coach for benching a good player.

But arent you of the opinion, just as in real football, that the win/loss should be decided by the players that are on the field?

I don't know why you need a tiebreak. If you tie, you tie. Big deal. If the league doesn't want ties, switch to decimal scoring and they'll be even rarer.

Valid point. I personally cant stand ties.. and dont think most others can either...which is why the tiebreak system was set up. Albeit, this is not the case in this particular league, in another I play in, we have a fee for losses to add to the kitty at the end of the season. Ties are not good!

Edit: While I do appreciate the input as to how to avoid ties, or even if you think they are OK...what I'm really looking for in this thread is if you think using bench points for a tiebreak is a good idea, or not.

Valid point. I personally cant stand ties.. and dont think most others can either...which is why the tiebreak system was set up. Albeit, this is not the case in this particular league, in another I play in, we have a fee for losses to add to the kitty at the end of the season. Ties are not good!

Edit: While I do appreciate the input as to how to avoid ties, or even if you think they are OK...what I'm really looking for in this thread is if you think using bench points for a tiebreak is a good idea, or not.

ok then add this, personally I think the bench to break ties is completely unfair

1) it rewards the team that might not have played the optimal lineup

2) it benefits the team who may be in a better bye situation

I have been in leagues where you designate a tiebreaker player, that seems to do it, some guys might be stuck putting a 4th string RB there, some guys may put a backup QB there, but at least you can determine who you want to determine your tiebreaker should it come down to it. If its still tied after that player, goto points by top player that week as the next tiebreaker.

as for money being added to kitty for loss, if thats the issue, and say its $20 for a loss, well in a tie, each player puts in $10

Theres nothing wrong with ties in the regular season. The NFL has them. Decimal scoring almost eliminates the possibility. In the last 4 yrs in my league only once has 2 teams scored the same in the same week but they weren't facing each other. Bench points is the worst way to break a tie. It does not prove who has the better team. Suppose i have Manning and peterson on a bye and still tie. cmon. The only time you really need a tiebreaker is in the playoffs in which the win goes to the higher seed

We used to use bench points but it was not really fair. In innuries leave some benches decimated etc. And bye weeks make it worse. I did propose that what ever team is considered the home team would win ties BUT we ultimatly determined that ties are not a bad thing. why care. Leave it alone.

We use to use bench points, but switched to starters' yardage points a few years ago. It's settled maybe a half dozen ties so far. This year, we switched to decimal scoring, so the probability of a tie should be infintessimal. We still kept the tiebreaker, though.

I never liked bench points. They're on your bench for a reason. You didn't deem them worthy enough to score points for you...

I use to use the the kicker points as a tie breaker in my leagues. It went #1 kicker points #2 defensive points #3 TE points then we went to the glamour positions. I use to have some owners not wanting to drop their kicker, defense and TE's during bye weeks cause they dee3med them irrelevant. So I made them so. To a point.

I think bench points can only be used in one scenario: where you declare 2 players (one RB; one WR) as your bench tie-break scorers each week. I do not like declaring QB's, as some don't carry a backup - and those who have two really good ones will have a huge advantage in that department - the same advantage as counting cumulative bench points would give someone who carries multiple QBs.

That said, I prefer the decimal point system.

I think decimals are ridiculous. It's fantasy football not calculus. Do what we do. Pick one additonal player in addition to your submitted roster. The tie-breaker player with the most points wins. This way the game is decided by an actual player and your management skills are rewarded.

Kutulu and Edjr were pushing for Australian D1ck Wrestling as a tiebreaker for the DieNasty Dynasty league. While their arguments were eloquent and well-spoken, they still fell on deaf ears.

Decimal scoring, then keep the tie.  In playoffs higher seed wins any tie.

Bench points are fine for tie breakers. Ties are rare anyhow and it more often then not, shows who has a better overall team. However, the only thing that matters are what your rules say.

I think decimals are ridiculous. It's fantasy football not calculus. Do what we do. Pick one additonal player in addition to your submitted roster. The tie-breaker player with the most points wins. This way the game is decided by an actual player and your management skills are rewarded.

Decimals are ridiculous? How so? It is the best way to determine how well your team produced. Every YARD matters. Why should my RB get 99 yards rushing and your RB gets 92 yards rushing, yet we each get 9 fantasy points for that. In what world should 99 yards be the same production as 92 yards. Those 7 yards could be the difference in winning an actual football game, so they should count in fantasy football too.

Decimal scoring is the best way to go because it basically eliminates ties, and gives the best determination of who's fantasy roster produced the best every week.

Decimals are ridiculous? How so? It is the best way to determine how well your team produced. Every YARD matters. Why should my RB get 99 yards rushing and your RB gets 92 yards rushing, yet we each get 9 fantasy points for that. In what world should 99 yards be the same production as 92 yards. Those 7 yards could be the difference in winning an actual football game, so they should count in fantasy football too.

Decimal scoring is the best way to go because it basically eliminates ties, and gives the best determination of who's fantasy roster produced the best every week.

:thumbsup: this in a nutshell. Players get credit for every yard they gain and they should in fantasy as well. It is not calculus, the computer scoring will take care of it. (by the way, it would be more like 4th grade math). As an added bonus, it virtually eliminates ties.

I don't know why you need a tiebreak. If you tie, you tie. Big deal. If the league doesn't want ties, switch to decimal scoring and they'll be even rarer.

This! My league is decimal scoring and has been for 4 years. This year we just had out first tie and that's exactly how it shows up in the standings...as a tie for both teams. I don't like the bench points tie breakers. With bye weeks and injuries, it just doesn't make sense.

Kutulu and Edjr were pushing for Australian D1ck Wrestling as a tiebreaker for the DieNasty Dynasty league. While their arguments were eloquent and well-spoken, they still fell on deaf ears.

Decimal scoring, then keep the tie.  In playoffs higher seed wins any tie.

And I will bring this up for vote every focking year until it passes. :banana:

This year we are going to have a demonstration. :wub:

Input greatly appreciated guys. Sounds like most agree that IF you have to have tiebreakers, bench points arent the way to go. I do like the decimal system, never played in a league that uses it, but it seems like it's the way to go.

Bench points are preposterous as they benefit people who stack up their roster with mediocre quarterbacks, kickers, and defenses.

The people who have SMART benches (with handcuffed running backs, potential breakout wide receivers, etc.) take a hit because a bunch of the guys on their bench are not getting points unless their regular starter gets hurt.

And yes, decimal point scoring is the best way to go, but I've still seen ties with that.

Prefer decimal scoring; tie is a tie.

If you must have Tiebreaker.... I like actual NFL points - TDs, FGs, XP, Safety, etc.

Bench is poor choice. Does anyone really want to be penalized for byes, injured players and backups?