Sign in to follow this  
FlaHawker

It's an EXCITING Time to be a Seahawks Fan

Carpenter and Moffit were ok, not great. Richard Sherman really stood out to me last night. His name was mentioned a lot. TJAX, well, the line didn;t do him any favors but he still made nothing happen either. He is what he has always been. Aaron Curry? A joke. Thanks Ruskell! :mad:

I thought I saw Sherman get hurt? Maybe it wasn't serious or Im just imagining things. I agree he looks pretty good.

I've already written Curry off. If only we could have switched brains with him and Tatupa.

I still have a little hope for Golden.

I thought I saw Sherman get hurt? Maybe it wasn't serious or Im just imagining things. I agree he looks pretty good.

I've already written Curry off. If only we could have switched brains with him and Tatupa.

I still have a little hope for Golden.

The thing that worries me about Tate is that he is getting a lot of playing time and even when he is playing against 3rd and 4th stringers he stil does nothing. He doesn't flash. For example, Josh Portis might amount to nothing, but the guy stands out when he plays, he flashes. Tate is just there. Time to worry.

It’s early, but Hawks need more time

DAVE BOLING; STAFF WRITER

Last updated: August 22nd, 2011 12:21 AM (PDT)

Because we developed Acute Football Deficit Disorder over the spring and summer, we will be hasty to over-analyze exhibition games, and be prone to snap judgments.

The accompanying delusion is that these practice games are more meaningful than they are. After all, to those who feared a future without football, even preseason games feel like the playoffs.

We should be reminded that these guys are in mid-May form right now. They haven’t learned each others’ names yet, let alone the full playbook. You can’t cook a stew in a microwave; it takes time to blend the ingredients.

So assessments of the Seattle Seahawks after two exhibitions are verdicts with scant evidence.

After a win and a loss, the first-team offense still hasn’t gotten the memo that the lockout has ended. However, if there was a league in which the second units competed, the Seahawks would be strong contenders.

A look at a few areas of concern and debate:

• Quarterbacks: Charlie Whitehurst has been the best quarterback. Or at least the best at passing against opponents’ backups. Props due: He’s playing decisively and with confidence, and the accuracy he lacked on some short routes in the past has been discovered.

Starter Tarvaris Jackson has thrown only 26 passes, mostly in the face of lousy protection, and his one interception was a ball that should have been caught. He hasn’t generated any points, but it’s not a fair sample size to scrap the depth chart.

• Offensive line: We expected the rookies on the right side to need time to ripen. James Carpenter and John Moffitt have predictably mixed the good with the bad. And the injury of Russell Okung has set back the unit’s melding process.

But most would have expected better of free-agent guard Robert Gallery, who has looked ineffective much of the time. He’s 31 and may need more time to play into shape.

Bottom line (if you will): This young unit was given a challenge on Saturday against Minnesota that was impossible to misinterpret. They had the ball with a first down on the Vikings’ 2.

If this team was going to be able to pound the ball the way coach Pete Carroll wanted, it was time to have all these high draft picks show what they could do.

Four running plays later, the Hawks gave the ball up at the 1. Consider that an embarrassing failure, even if it is early preseason.

• Receivers: Mike Williams went up high to beat double coverage against the Vikings, making the kind of reception the Seahawks are looking for out of him. Sidney Rice’s two catches thus far haven’t revealed much of his skills.

Some of the young guys have looked strong, especially rookie Doug Baldwin. But last year’s second-round pick Golden Tate seems on the verge of playing himself into irrelevance. He had two drops Saturday, including one that he tipped into a Vikings interception.

• Defensive line: When it was at its best last year, it was because Red Bryant was an immovable bully in there. Coming off knee surgery, he’s not yet returned to that kind of form. If he can before the opener, they’ll be fine.

• Linebackers: David Hawthorne won’t miss a beat filling in at middle linebacker for Lofa Tatupu. And rookies K.J. Wright and Malcolm Smith are gifted athletes who are learning fast. The surprise has to be the play of the formerly wayward Leroy Hill.

Hill looks fit, squared away, and is making the kind of plays he used to, i.e: Closing on Adrian Peterson in the open field, wrapping him up and pushing him backward.

• Secondary: The size and athleticism of the young additions is startling. I expected 6-foot-4 cornerback Brandon Browner to be physical, but couldn’t envision him being able to run stride-for-stride with receivers.

So, on the upside for fans: Whew, they’ve got three weeks until they open the season for real.

On the downside for fans: Yikes, they’ve only got three weeks until they open the season for real.

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/08/22/v-printerfriendly/1790946/its-early-but-hawks-need-more.html#ixzz1VlBMTji8

The second half of the season is gonna be alot better than the first half. That last article explaines my whole line of thought.

They need alot of time together.

Let me ask you guys. (Only you important ones)

I said I love the way this team is being built. From payroll, then foundation up. I believe by the end of 2011. For the most part, we'll be a QB away from being a really good team for alot of years.

Now, say they go 5 or 6 wins this year. (Whatever it is to not half the first pick in the draft, but still suck and pick high)

I'm a huuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeee fan of Kellen Moore, and I like that Landry guy too. (Barkley, I have to watch this year to really get an opinion of him. I'm really on the fence with him.)

Andrew Luck is the cream of the crop. If he plays well this year, and doesn't break anything or get hit by a bus. He's the next robot (ie. peyton manning).

Would you trade your entire draft to get the #1 pick ala Mike Ditka?

The second half of the season is gonna be alot better than the first half. That last article explaines my whole line of thought.

I said I love the way this team is being built. From payroll, then foundation up. I believe by the end of 2011. For the most part, we'll be a QB away from being a really good team for alot of years.

Now, say they go 5 or 6 wins this year. (Whatever it is to not half the first pick in the draft, but still suck and pick high)

I'm a huuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeee fan of Kellen Clemens, and I like that Landry guy too. (Barkley, I have to watch this year to really get an opinion of him. I'm really on the fence with him.)

Andrew Luck is the cream of the crop. If he plays well this year, and doesn't break anything or get hit by a bus. He's the next robot (ie. peyton manning).

That is a very good question and I was also contemplating that the other day. It's a tough call. I guess that would depend on how well FA goes next year and how well we address other deficiency areas and whether or not the team is just a "QB" away. There are several good QBs coming out next year so we may not have to move to #1 to get one.

I'm a huuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggggggeeeeeeeeeeeeee fan of Kellen Clemens, and I like that Landry guy too. (Barkley, I have to watch this year to really get an opinion of him. I'm really on the fence with him.)

I don't know about the entire draft. With Luck it would take a lot to even move up a few picks to land him. He could be the next Manning, he could be the next Tim Couch or anything in between.

The roster is shaping up but we still need more talent. We need as many draft picks as possible. Hopefully we trade Carlson.

Linebacker Aaron Curry’s days in Seattle appear to be numbered.

First reported by Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com, I’ve confirmed that Curry recently agreed to restructure his rookie contract with the Seattle Seahawks, cutting the deal from six to four years.

According to the report, in return for giving up $5 million in guaranteed salary Curry’s due to make in 2012, he gets to become a free agent at the end of that season

So Curry will have earned $28.25 million in guaranteed money over the first 2 ½ years of the six-year, $60 million deal he originally signed with Seattle’s previous regime in August 2009.

Because Curry’s salary is not guaranteed in 2012, the Seahawks could release him in February without any financial obligation. The restructured deal also makes it easier to move Curry in a trade.

Drafted fourth overall in the 2009 draft, the Wake Forest product’s up-and-down play has been a heavily debated topic by both fans and league observers.

At 6-foot-2, 254 pounds, Curry is blessed with great strength and speed, but his athleticism never fully transferred to explosive plays on the field.

Further, Curry has not always been pleased with the way Seattle has used him defensively, as the Seahawks chose to take him off the field in third down situations because of his struggles in coverage.

The final straw for head coach Pete Carroll may have been Curry receiving a personal foul penalty after ripping off the helmet of a Minnesota offensive lineman and tossing it toward the sideline during Saturday’s game against the Vikings.

Carroll said he took Curry out of the game after the play and scolded him for his actions

Read more: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2011/08/22/lb-curry-asked-to-restructure-deal/#ixzz1VonTQ5OA

The sooner we cut bait with this bum, the better!

This is a great place for the Seahawks fans to talk about our team and spread knowledge amongst those that care, if you don't, so be it. Try to actually bring something useful to the thread instead of blatantly just trolling.

jgcrawfish, I thought you were better than this. This last post of yours was just plain dumb.

1. A team thread consolidating knowledge its actually useful, we should have one of these for every team. It is an invaluable resource for fans and especially for FF knowledge. Where is your teams thread? Use Google is a silly argument, type in our team name and you get the following statement "About 14,700,000 results (0.08 seconds)". 14million, so yes actually sorting the articles is a fairly useful function of our team page.

2. We won the division, won one playoff game, and if our secondary had managed to actually hold onto one of the 2 interceptions Cutler threw into their hands we could have shocked the world again in an admitted rebuilding year, whats not to get excited about? Division champs in 2004, 05, 06, 07 and 10 prove our franchise has had a recent run of success and they are doing everything in their power to get back there ASAP.

3. Just a silly, childish comment with no value or insight at all. Not even an attempt at an argument.

I know no one wins an internet argument but the fact your 'argument' was so easily refuted is somewhat embarassing isn't it? You don't actually have to click on and enter every thread on the forums either you know, it is optional.

Really Mike?!?! JG gets to spew his ignorant B.S. in a thread FOR Seahawks fans but my response gets deleted?

I'll restate it:

JG, your post reeks of a casual, bandwagon fan mentality and sums you up perfectly. It doesn't take any balls to root for whoever is winning. Your sick, homoerotic obsession with the Seattle Seahawks and their fans has reached Sweetness levels.

I would trade our entire draft for Andrew Luck. How often is the next sure thing at QB coming along, Manning and now Luck thats twice in the last 15 years.

We have never had a franchise QB, NEVER. Hell we all drank the Kool-aid on Rick Mirer for gosh sakes. To this day I still miss Krieg think about that for a second.

If we end up with a top 8 pick and offer up our entire draft for the #1 and for whatever reason that team did not need a QB you would have to take it right? You move down 7 spots and pick up 4-5 more draft picks, you would have to take it wouldn't you?

Really Mike?!?! JG gets to spew his ignorant B.S. in a thread FOR Seahawks fans but my response gets deleted?

I'll restate it:

JG, your post reeks of a casual, bandwagon fan mentality and sums you up perfectly. It doesn't take any balls to root for whoever is winning. Your sick, homoerotic obsession with the Seattle Seahawks and their fans has reached Sweetness levels.

Bingo! :cheers:

I would trade our entire draft for Andrew Luck. How often is the next sure thing at QB coming along, Manning and now Luck thats twice in the last 15 years.

We have never had a franchise QB, NEVER. Hell we all drank the Kool-aid on Rick Mirer for gosh sakes. To this day I still miss Krieg think about that for a second.

If we end up with a top 8 pick and offer up our entire draft for the #1 and for whatever reason that team did not need a QB you would have to take it right? You move down 7 spots and pick up 4-5 more draft picks, you would have to take it wouldn't you?

Is Luck the next Manning?

Who knows but he seems like the most promising QB prospect to come along in the last few years.

You heard questions about Bradford, Ryan, Stafford and now Newton. I have heard nothing but positive things about Luck, in my mind all signs point to him as the next sure thing at QB.

Although even Manning took some heat as a lot of people like Ryan Leafs upside and arm strength. As a WSU grad, boy do I resent Leaf, he was so good in college and just pissed it all away. So who knows, but I would love to have a franchise QB to pin my hopes on.

Who knows but he seems like the most promising QB prospect to come along in the last few years.

You heard questions about Bradford, Ryan, Stafford and now Newton. I have heard nothing but positive things about Luck, in my mind all signs point to him as the next sure thing at QB.

Although even Manning took some heat as a lot of people like Ryan Leafs upside and arm strength. As a WSU grad, boy do I resent Leaf, he was so good in college and just pissed it all away. So who knows, but I would love to have a franchise QB to pin my hopes on.

I think it would be a tough sell to trade an entire draft on a "who knows" prospect. Not sasying Luck isn't the next coming but if he isn't not only are you bankrupt at QB but you have added no one else to improve the roster.

But thats the thing, I think we have solidified almost our entire roster. We are letting youth be served at almost every position on the roster. We will know how far along the rebuild is by the end of the season and whether or not going after a franchise QB is the next step or we have at least one more year to rebuild along the O-line and secondary before adding a franchise QB.

I just get the impression the team is targeting next years draft to get our franchise QB and is trying to do everything they can to set the rest of the squad up to take off with him.

I really like what the team is doing, to speed our resurgunce (I like that word, I just wish I could spell). :headbanger:

This is a great place for the Seahawks fans to talk about our team and spread knowledge amongst those that care, if you don't, so be it. Try to actually bring something useful to the thread instead of blatantly just trolling.

jgcrawfish, I thought you were better than this. This last post of yours was just plain dumb.

1. A team thread consolidating knowledge its actually useful, we should have one of these for every team. It is an invaluable resource for fans and especially for FF knowledge. Where is your teams thread? Use Google is a silly argument, type in our team name and you get the following statement "About 14,700,000 results (0.08 seconds)". 14million, so yes actually sorting the articles is a fairly useful function of our team page.

2. We won the division, won one playoff game, and if our secondary had managed to actually hold onto one of the 2 interceptions Cutler threw into their hands we could have shocked the world again in an admitted rebuilding year, whats not to get excited about? Division champs in 2004, 05, 06, 07 and 10 prove our franchise has had a recent run of success and they are doing everything in their power to get back there ASAP.

3. Just a silly, childish comment with no value or insight at all. Not even an attempt at an argument.

I know no one wins an internet argument but the fact your 'argument' was so easily refuted is somewhat embarassing isn't it? You don't actually have to click on and enter every thread on the forums either you know, it is optional.

Apologies, deletored!

I'll restate it:

Mostly correct, well, except for the bandwagon, the homoerotic and the obsession parts...but you're right...out of line. Deletored!

Bingo! :cheers:

I'm not apologizing to you, you're still a d-bag. But, fwiw, I gave the reason for deleting my post as "because i was acting like an a$$". :wave:

I think those who questioned Bradford and Ryan were out of line. And I'm very glad there showing all those people wrong.

Stafford was valid as was Newtons.

IMO...you all will end up regretting that hire.

Only benefit of that hiring was the signing of Sydney Rice.

A loss (of which I am mixed) for the Vikes. I think he is a real deal WR (though his not dealing with an injury early enough last preseason is a concern for future decisions of such thing to come)

If he is the reason they signed TJax, well this tanks the prior mentioned signing of Rice. TJax had lacked leadership ability and character in MN. He was drafted way too early on the hope and hunch he could be made into McNabb. He is a backups backup.

Bevel, I don't know what to say. Childress was a bad game day play caller and strategist. I can see why in Philadelphia he was never given this assignment. I only hope for Bevels case that he realized this and didn't get too influenced by the stale, rigid, and unimaginative Childress in his future endeavors.

enjoy your season on the hopes for the future (which is what I will be doing in MN with a sub par O line.)

We got a nice upside with our secondary. I like both of those kids to go along with Trufant/Thurmond/Lewis and Thomas/Chancellor.

Jennings got to go though.

I also think Richard Sherman is in the mix. I like what I have seen from him so far.

Free-agent receiver Doug Baldwin continues to impress for Seattle. Baldwin: "One (of) my strengths is my creativity in the slot, being able to be witty and creative matched up against a nickel corner or a (weakside) linebacker, so just being able to be creative in there, getting open and getting separation."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest

This guy is going to beat out Golden Tate!

Dumervil is welcoming Carpenter to the NFL. Just whipping his ass!! The line has a ways too go.

And as bad as the line has been, Tavaris doesn't even have a clue. He looks completely lost and I doubt he would make something happen even if he had a couple extra seconds. And why the fock won't Bevell roll him out or do focking anything to maximize his athleticism?

Please start Whitehurst next week. I want to see him against a first string defense!

The Broncos were pretty pathetic last year and the Seahawks offensive is making Broncos defense look damn good.

The Broncos were pretty pathetic last year and the Seahawks offensive is making Broncos defense look damn good.

Do be honest - Ayers, Dumervil, Von Miller, DJ Johnson. That is a pretty good front core. The broncos were pretty beat up on D last year...and Von Miller might be Defensive Rookie of the year.

Do be honest - Ayers, Dumervil, Von Miller, DJ Johnson. That is a pretty good front core. The broncos were pretty beat up on D last year...and Von Miller might be Defensive Rookie of the year.

I heard Von Miller's name called more times in the first half last night than I have heard Curry's name called in 2 years. Miller is exactly what a top 5 LB should look like. Curry is a bust. Dude still can't rush the passer, still can't cover, he's worthless. Thank god they re-did his contract to make it easier to jettison his arse ASAP!

Dumervil is welcoming Carpenter to the NFL. Just whipping his ass!! The line has a ways too go.

Which is exactly why they brought in TJAX. No OTAs, no minicamps, a brand new line with no continuity--yet. Can you imagine throwing a top QB draft pick behind this bunch? Or having an old Hasselbeck behind this group? Both would be killed! If TJAX gets killed, so what! It sets up for a Barkley or Luck next year. Then you have a line that has played together for a year, a full off season of OTAs and camps, and then we are ready to go.

Which is exactly why they brought in TJAX. No OTAs, no minicamps, a brand new line with no continuity--yet. Can you imagine throwing a top QB draft pick behind this bunch? Or having an old Hasselbeck behind this group? Both would be killed! If TJAX gets killed, so what! It sets up for a Barkley or Luck next year. Then you have a line that has played together for a year, a full off season of OTAs and camps, and then we are ready to go.

What are your thoughts on Barkley. Is he really that good?

How does he compare to the last couple of usc guys.

I'm ashamed when I say. I havn't really watched the kid.

Buh bye Golden Tate! If Baldwin does not make this team in favor of Tate, I will be pissed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHJDTEmXvy8

When I was looking for info on Baldwin. 2 things I discovered on the kid.

1. He's a good kid, with a good family background.

2. Had a 4.0 gpa while at stanford.

He stinks. If he really works hard, he may someday be a decent backup QB that won't play an entire season and hurt his team by simply stepping on the field.

He is like that spectacular bust Mark Sanchez, but worse.

Honestly, I have not seem him play much at all--I don't watch a lot of college football. I was basing my comments on who the draft "experts" have crowned as top QB prospects next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTmKA-AiFUc

That's actually what i'm trying to get at. There's nothing about the kid that drew me to him. I'm just making sure it wasn't just me overlooking something.

I didn't see anything about him, that made me want to watch him.

Buh bye Golden Tate! If Baldwin does not make this team in favor of Tate, I will be pissed!

If Baldwin doesn't make the team we'll all have to seriously question management's decision making. I don't know what else a guy would have to do to make a football team. And you KNOW he'd sign with Frisco or Arizona if we cut him.

Did Tate even play last night? I missed most of the second half, but I dont remember seeing him on the field.

Malcom Smith was a great 7th round pick. The dude is tiny for a linebacker but FOCK is he fast!! He had a stupid penalty on a punt, but other then that he was always around the ball.