Sign in to follow this  
Walter34

Cutler Injury - the truth

i saw a story the other day that said cutler used the stairs after the game--and without a lick of trouble. this after standing around on the sidelines all afternoon and walking around and not limping.

go figure.

There is a big difference going straight up or down stairs or simply standing compared to dropping back and throwing a pass based on the anatomy of the MCL and it's function for stability and the laws of physics.

I can stand up and have all my weight on one leg, if I wish....if you are looking at me, you would not be able to tell that.

Walking up stairs and moving lateraly on a football field are two entirely different things.

Injured or not injured, doesn't really matter to me. I'm glad to see the Pack go.

If I were a Bears fan, this what I would want to see of my quarterback playing in the biggest game of his life.

I just heard a pretty good conversation on the radio about this. Just another possibility...

He gets injured, and it sent his diabetes into action. Levels start going off the charts. His center said his leg was shaking uncontrollably. The doctor's and team physicians on the sideline know a lot more about this than the common tv viewer. Therefore, they made the call for him to sit. If he continued to play, he would most likely have to have offseason surgery. Instead, he now just has rehab.

They were really playing the diabetes roll, and the effects it has on a body once injured. I'll take their word on this one b/c I honestly don't know.

just throwing it out there for what its worth :dunno:

Diabetes doesn't work that way. I have it.

If your diabetes goes whacky...if it's too low, you feel like you are about to faint. Eat something, drink something sugary, take a glucose tablet, and you are fine fairly quickly. If it's too high, you feel like sleep is overwhelming you. Take some insulin and don't eat. You stabilize. Either situation is very, very unlikely due to a knee injury. You don't get spasms, shakes, etc. Injuries with diabetes are like injuries to any other person with the exception that in some cases it might take longer to heal and you are more vulnerable to infections. Stress can push blood sugar readings higher, but not to the point where you couldn't get back on the field. And if he was having diabetes issues, you would have seen testing equipment of some sort near him so he could keep re-checking it, and a sideline reporter would have seen it.

The guy went to dinner and walked around like he was just fine right after the game. No going home to rest his knee or nothing. He didn't even pick up a mic on the sidelines to help the back up. Jay didn't care

If there is ONE thing that Cutler has, it is his tuffness and his heart.....

i thought it was downs.

Some guys can play with a good deal of pain, especially when a Superbowl berth is at stake and they are the highest paid player in the contest. Some pack it in early and mope around on the sidelines.

Cutler just confirmed what most his critics already knew. I dont think he really cares for the game much.

If he doesn't care (Joey and Moz), then why did he have tears in his eyes in the locker room? I'm guessing he feels horrible that he couldn't help his team. You don't reach that level of success (NFL starting QB winning enough games with his team to get to the NFC Championship and a pro-bowl berth a couple of years ago) not caring, in my opinion.

If he doesn't care (Joey and Moz), then why did he have tears in his eyes in the locker room? I'm guessing he feels horrible that he couldn't help his team. You don't reach that level of success (NFL starting QB winning enough games with his team to get to the NFC Championship and a pro-bowl berth a couple of years ago) not caring, in my opinion.

The tears thing is not really a help. He could be crying just because he is a poosay. :dunno:

Diabetes doesn't work that way. I have it.

If your diabetes goes whacky...if it's too low, you feel like you are about to faint. Eat something, drink something sugary, take a glucose tablet, and you are fine fairly quickly. If it's too high, you feel like sleep is overwhelming you. Take some insulin and don't eat. You stabilize. Either situation is very, very unlikely due to a knee injury. You don't get spasms, shakes, etc. Injuries with diabetes are like injuries to any other person with the exception that in some cases it might take longer to heal and you are more vulnerable to infections. Stress can push blood sugar readings higher, but not to the point where you couldn't get back on the field. And if he was having diabetes issues, you would have seen testing equipment of some sort near him so he could keep re-checking it, and a sideline reporter would have seen it.

This is absolutely correct and clearly spoken by someone with first hand knowledge. I'm a type-2, still produce Insulin, just don't use it efficiently. I've played full basketball games on sprained knees and ankles, jammed fingers, etc. It has no effect on swelling/tenderness. And infection really isn't a concern for Cutler because if he had circulation issues, he likely wouldn't be playing in the first place due to the nature of blood flow issues in your extremities, particularly the feet. As for me, there's no way I'm letting myself be taken out if I'm not a detriment to my team (which technically he was, but not due to the injury). This is just another case of Chicago fans making excuses for their continued pathetic QB situation. Roethlisberger played through a fracture in plant foot, and a shattered freakin nose. Cutler has the arm, but he's empty between the ears and en el corazon.

At the same time, if he really cared he'd work to stop making the same damn mistakes he's made since his rookie year; horrible footwork...horrible mechanics....horrible decision making.

He has a stronger arm than Elway.....that's pretty much all he cares about.

Gepetto - let's suppose this is the case. That he really felt horrible that he couldn't help his team....

THEN WHY WASN'T HE ACTIVE ON THE SIDELINE?? He was mobile enough to stand on his knee, and even ride the stationary bike. But he couldn't get a mic on to help the offense? He couldn't offer one piece of advice to EITHER backup QB? Didn't feel like going over some of GB's defensive schemes that he recognized on the field? Didn't want to go over what he thought worked and didn't work with his offensive coordinator?

No, he stood on the sideline and looked dis-interested. I don't know what kind of pain he was going through, so I hafta assume he couldn't play. But I seriously question his desire, work ethic, and leadership abilities because of that disinterested demeanor.

I have a pretty low opinion of Cutler (largely because of the disinterest/body language thing), but the guy took 27 sacks in the first 6 games, 52 for the year, and still showed up for work. Assuming I somehow survived the 9-sack Giants game, if it had been me I would have pretty much demanded Martz be fired or we simply get an entirely new o-line. As it was, Cutler sat out a week and came back to absorb 6 sacks. That's tough enough to play in the nfl.

I have a pretty low opinion of Cutler (largely because of the disinterest/body language thing), but the guy took 27 sacks in the first 6 games, 52 for the year, and still showed up for work. Assuming I somehow survived the 9-sack Giants game, if it had been me I would have pretty much demanded Martz be fired or we simply get an entirely new o-line. As it was, Cutler sat out a week and came back to absorb 6 sacks. That's tough enough to play in the nfl.

Rodgers and Ben were both sacked 50 times last year (2009). They showed up for work too. Just saying.........

BTW: I am not down on Cutler for not returning.

Gepetto - let's suppose this is the case. That he really felt horrible that he couldn't help his team....

THEN WHY WASN'T HE ACTIVE ON THE SIDELINE?? He was mobile enough to stand on his knee, and even ride the stationary bike. But he couldn't get a mic on to help the offense? He couldn't offer one piece of advice to EITHER backup QB? Didn't feel like going over some of GB's defensive schemes that he recognized on the field? Didn't want to go over what he thought worked and didn't work with his offensive coordinator?

No, he stood on the sideline and looked dis-interested. I don't know what kind of pain he was going through, so I hafta assume he couldn't play. But I seriously question his desire, work ethic, and leadership abilities because of that disinterested demeanor.

Favre acted worse when Rodgers replaced him in Dallas and no one said a word.

caleb henne has stated publicly the Cutler helped him after the first drive. Try to keep up, you were not on the sideline.

Hanie said Cutler was engaged during the game after he left with the knee injury, and gave him lots of help during the loss to Green Bay. "He talked to me a lot coming off the field," Hanie said. "Trying to calm me down. Telling me to trust my line. Trust my reads. ... I thought he was well into the game. ... He told me what blitzes they were bringing. What coverages they were running."

Hanie said he has heard people rip Cutler for not talking to him on the bench. "No, that wasn't the case," Hanie said. "I know the shot. That was one five-second clip. ... I think he was just trying to give me time when we were sitting on the bench to digest everything."

Hanie said there is no way Cutler would have sat if he could have been on the field. "If he could have played, he would have played," Hanie said.

Read More: http://sportsillustr...l#ixzz1CFO8Xzmu

Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Nobody denies he didn't look great with most of what they FOX showed on the sideline. But it's not like the camera was trained on the sideline. We only saw a few brief shots of him and one time did show him answer Hanie when asked him something. Hanie says he helped him........I'll believe that over whatever FOX decided to show.

Another FOX director says they did a crappy job with Cutler. :dunno: http://www.nwitimes....2f50d4cdb1.html

This is absolutely correct and clearly spoken by someone with first hand knowledge. I'm a type-2, still produce Insulin, just don't use it efficiently. I've played full basketball games on sprained knees and ankles, jammed fingers, etc. It has no effect on swelling/tenderness. And infection really isn't a concern for Cutler because if he had circulation issues, he likely wouldn't be playing in the first place due to the nature of blood flow issues in your extremities, particularly the feet. As for me, there's no way I'm letting myself be taken out if I'm not a detriment to my team (which technically he was, but not due to the injury). This is just another case of Chicago fans making excuses for their continued pathetic QB situation. Roethlisberger played through a fracture in plant foot, and a shattered freakin nose. Cutler has the arm, but he's empty between the ears and en el corazon.

Thanks to you and Lackman for clarifying the diabetes issue. It's one level of stupidity for people to speculate on injuries without having all the particulars. It's another to attribute symptoms to a disease that don't exist.

Of course, after the bolded part, you lapsed into that other level where weekend warriors, former high school athletes and D-2 benchwarmers compare anecdotal stories about their injuries and toughness vs that of a guy playing our most violent professional sport at it's highest level.

Never been a Cutler fan for many reasons, none of which have anything to do with how badly he was hurt Sunday.

Favre acted worse when Rodgers replaced him in Dallas and no one said a word.

caleb henne has stated publicly the Cutler helped him after the first drive. Try to keep up, you were not on the sideline.

Try to keep up???

I watched him sit on the sideline on the bench, a good 10 yards away from his own team while Todd Collins went 0-4, looking more like a kicker than a QB.

I also saw a good 7-10 shots throughout the 2nd half in which Cutler was on the same bench, not even watching the game. I didn't see one mic in his ear. I didn't see him on the phone one time.

But because he helped Hanie out after one drive - the guy was into the game?

Try to keep up???

I watched him sit on the sideline on the bench, a good 10 yards away from his own team while Todd Collins went 0-4, looking more like a kicker than a QB.

I also saw a good 7-10 shots throughout the 2nd half in which Cutler was on the same bench, not even watching the game. I didn't see one mic in his ear. I didn't see him on the phone one time.

Please, don't show your ignorance for the game. I have seen dozens of QBs go down and not one of them put a "mic" in their ear and coached the BU. It doesn't work that way. In situations like this the coaches work with the new QB. Do you really think Cutler should have been on the sideline with a "mic" to the press box so he could coach the BU?

Please, don't show your ignorance for the game. I have seen dozens of QBs go down and not one of them put a "mic" in their ear and coached the BU. It doesn't work that way. In situations like this the coaches work with the new QB. Do you really think Cutler should have been on the sideline with a "mic" to the press box so he could coach the BU?

I never said he should coach the backup - that's clearly the jobs of the....coaches.

But he couldn't cheer on his teammates in the biggest game of his career? He couldn't show a lick of emotion at the most critical stage in his career? He couldn't look at film/tape to see how DEF's were reacting to things that the Bears love to do - formation shifts and changes, deep in routes, etc. He couldn't even be mic'd to hear the playcalling, take notes, give notes, offer suggestions?

I know Hanie says Cutler offered some advice...but telling him to "keep calm and trust his reads" is something anyone on this Earth could say. It gave no insight, no knowledge of the Bears' gameplan/Packers' schemes.

Try to keep up???

Todd Collins is 40 years old and has been in the NFL forever. He didn't need coaching from another QB. :rolleyes: Collins knows all about the game he's just too old and untalented to actually do anything.

Here's Cutler with the earpiece. http://www.chicagotr...01/58999175.jpg

I've never seen an out of the game , injured player talking on the phone to coaches in the box in any other game before either. :dunno:

I never said he should coach the backup - that's clearly the jobs of the....coaches.

But he couldn't cheer on his teammates in the biggest game of his career? He couldn't show a lick of emotion at the most critical stage in his career? He couldn't look at film/tape to see how DEF's were reacting to things that the Bears love to do - formation shifts and changes, deep in routes, etc. He couldn't even be mic'd to hear the playcalling, take notes, give notes, offer suggestions?

I know Hanie says Cutler offered some advice...but telling him to "keep calm and trust his reads" is something anyone on this Earth could say. It gave no insight, no knowledge of the Bears' gameplan/Packers' schemes.

It is very sad when someone trashes a QB because he didn't live up to their standards on the sideline.

I think it's focking hysterical that all of these mindless a-holes think that they're version of what he did, how he looked, what he didn't do, how he reacted, etc. - is the "right" way Cutler should have done things (or the wrong way).

It's why I fully supported Derek Anderson's podium meltdown. As if laughing at a joke cracked by a teammate is sacrilege during a football game that you're losing. :rolleyes:

Asstards.

TMZ has a video of Cutler walking around at an outdoor mall yesterday. Doesn't even look like his limping.

http://www.tmz.com/

Jay Quitler. :overhead:

HAHAHAHA.... Nice try...

That was Harland Williams :lol:

If he was really hurt and cared like you say then when why wouldn't he of picked up a head set to at least try and help the back up? He was ineffective and his knee was hurting some so he gave up.

Jason Wilde (local GB sportswriter) speculated that he was actually benched for sucking so bad in the game and that the Bears are trying to cover that up by saying he was hurt.

LOL.

Anything Lovie, Hanie, Urlacher, Kreutz, or anybody tied to the Bears says is invalid. The Chicago Bears are stuck with Cutler so of course the team is going to take a defensive stance regarding him.

As far as Cutler having tears in his eyes in the locker room, maybe he had just checked all the negative pub he was getting on his blackbery/android/iphone/whatever?

Fox had the cameras on him a lot during the game and the only emotion I saw was him laughing at a joke. Maybe it's unfair to jump to conclusions about his heart, but again Cutler has left the door open to this kind of criticism due to how he's carried himself and acted throughout his career. We'll see if he uses this as motivation to better himself for the 2011 season.

Todd Collins is 40 years old and has been in the NFL forever. He didn't need coaching from another QB. :rolleyes: Collins knows all about the game he's just too old and untalented to actually do anything.

Here's Cutler with the earpiece. http://www.chicagotr...01/58999175.jpg

I've never seen an out of the game , injured player talking on the phone to coaches in the box in any other game before either. :dunno:

Peyton Manning is on the phone and looking at defensive photos inn between EVERY POSSESSION. Tom Brady has gathered his entire offense multiple times this season after a disappointing drive. Drew Brees is constantly in the ear of HC Sean Payton. Maybe you don't realize it, but half of what it takes to play quarterback is mental, not physical. You need to put in hours upon hours in the film room studying DEF's. You need to spend extra time in meetings with your OC going over the gameplan. What plays will work against certain defensive formations. You need to spend extra time after practice with your young players/backups to get them up to speed for when they see the field. And I'd think, this is just a hunch...but if you truly are a franchise QB, and you can't be out there with your teammates when a SB birth is on the line, you should probably at least support them. You should probably offer more assistance to the offense/offensive coordinator/2nd AND 3rd string QB's than "stay calm and trust your reads".

It is very sad when someone trashes a QB because he didn't live up to their standards on the sideline.

Why? You know how many in-game adjustments are made in today's game? As mentioned above, Manning constantly studies the defense DURING the game until he 'figures it out'. Many intelligent QB's are going over timing/different routes with the WR's. Figuring out how the CB may be playing - inside coverage, help over the top, sitting/jumping on the short stuff, etc. etc.

If you think it's perfectly fine to just sit on the bench when you're out of the game...in the NFC Championship game, then you were probably never much of an athlete...

And why isn't anyone talking about performance?

Healthy or not, Cutler was terrible. I haven't gone back and looked at the timing, but I believe most of his stats were established before the injury. 6/14, 80 yards and an INT?? Think about this: Todd Collins was horrendous. He was 0-4...AND HE HAD A BETTER QB RATING THAN CUTLER!!!

C. Hanie, who I believe was seeing his first NFL action, was 13/20, 150 yards and a TD...one terrible INT, and another inevitable INT. He actually lead the Bears up & down the field a few times, something Cutler couldn't really do.

Come to think of it, maybe it was a good thing Cutler wasn't offering his services to the offense from the sideline :thumbsdown:

And why isn't anyone talking about performance?

Healthy or not, Cutler was terrible. I haven't gone back and looked at the timing, but I believe most of his stats were established before the injury. 6/14, 80 yards and an INT?? Think about this: Todd Collins was horrendous. He was 0-4...AND HE HAD A BETTER QB RATING THAN CUTLER!!!

C. Hanie, who I believe was seeing his first NFL action, was 13/20, 150 yards and a TD...one terrible INT, and another inevitable INT. He actually lead the Bears up & down the field a few times, something Cutler couldn't really do.

Come to think of it, maybe it was a good thing Cutler wasn't offering his services to the offense from the sideline :thumbsdown:

Haine did a very nicve job IMO.

If you think Hainie is better than Cutler...then you are just plain delerious, my friend.

If you think Hainie is better than Cutler...then you are just plain delerious, my friend.

Hanie was definitely better then Cutler on Sunday.

Think you're putting words in my mouth, no?

I never said that...But the focus has been on Cutler's lack of toughness and leadership. No matter what side of that fence you fall, you can't deny the fact that the supposed franchise QB played absolutely terrible in the biggest game of his life.

Found this interesting:

Twitter

DeSean Jackson is indeed out of the Pro Bowl. Said he has a Grade 2 MCL sprain and bone bruise, left over from the Green Bay game.

about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck

.AshleyMFox

-------------------------------------------------------

And found this:

http://sportifi.com/news/Eagles-WR-Jackson-injured-vs-Packers-432786.html

DeSean Jackson had 2 catches for 47 yards on 4 targets, 0 touchdowns against the Packers when the injury occurred.

Journalist Eagles Wide Receiver DeSean Jackson left Sunday's Playoff game against Green Bay with an injured Left Knee.

His return is questionable.

Jackson was hurt in the First Quarter on a running play. Eagles running back LeSean McCoy rolled up Jackson from behind. Jackson limped off the field and had his leg examined on the sideline before leaving for the locker room. Jackson had 47 catches for 1,056 yards and six touchdowns this season. He had no catches before the injury.

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2011/miles-austin-replaces-injured-desean-jackson-on-pro-bowl-roster/

Miles Austin will replace injured Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson. D-Jax reportedly tweaked his knee this week causing him to bow out Sunday’s game in Hawaii.

Found this interesting:

Twitter

DeSean Jackson is indeed out of the Pro Bowl. Said he has a Grade 2 MCL sprain and bone bruise, left over from the Green Bay game.

about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck

.AshleyMFox

And found this:

http://sportifi.com/news/Eagles-WR-Jackson-injured-vs-Packers-432786.html

DeSean Jackson had 2 catches for 47 yards on 4 targets, 0 touchdowns against the Packers when the injury occurred.

Journalist Eagles Wide Receiver DeSean Jackson left Sunday's Playoff game against Green Bay with an injured Left Knee.

His return is questionable.

Jackson was hurt in the First Quarter on a running play. Eagles running back LeSean McCoy rolled up Jackson from behind. Jackson limped off the field and had his leg examined on the sideline before leaving for the locker room. Jackson had 47 catches for 1,056 yards and six touchdowns this season. He had no catches before the injury.

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2011/miles-austin-replaces-injured-desean-jackson-on-pro-bowl-roster/

Miles Austin will replace injured Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson. D-Jax reportedly tweaked his knee this week causing him to bow out Sundays game in Hawaii.

I dont get your point. Are you comparing the Pro-Bowl to the NFC Championship game?

I dont get your point. Are you comparing the Pro-Bowl to the NFC Championship game?

No, I'm saying DeSean Jackson played in a playoff game in which he got hurt with same injury Cutler had and he played the whole game, although not at his best. Cutler didn't play the whole game because of the injury and coaches decision. So what I'm saying is either Cutler is a wuss or the coaches simply didn't think he could be effective or it's still possible the injury affected Cutler differently than DeSean Jackson and since they play different positions, maybe it affects the throwing motion to a degree that Cutler wasn't effective.

I guess I think Cutler couldn't get it done and the coaches pulled him because of it.

Although the fact D. Jackson can't go in the pro-bowl after re-tweeking the injury does show that a grade 2 mcl tear has a significant effect on a players playing ability and the decision to play or not must be made based on how effective a player with this type of injury can really be.

D. Jackson wasn't thrown to at the end of the game. Vick threw it to a much lesser receiver, probably because D. Jackson couldn't get open like he normally would when healthy.

No, I'm saying DeSean Jackson played in a playoff game in which he got hurt with same injury Cutler had and he played the whole game, although not at his best. Cutler didn't play the whole game because of the injury and coaches decision. So what I'm saying is either Cutler is a wuss or the coaches simply didn't think he could be effective or it's still possible the injury affected Cutler differently than DeSean Jackson and since they play different positions, maybe it affects the throwing motion to a degree that Cutler wasn't effective.

I guess I think Cutler couldn't get it done and the coaches pulled him because of it.

Although the fact D. Jackson can't go in the pro-bowl after re-tweeking the injury does show that a grade 2 mcl tear has a significant effect on a players playing ability and the decision to play or not must be made based on how effective a player with this type of injury can really be.

D. Jackson wasn't thrown to at the end of the game. Vick threw it to a much lesser receiver, probably because D. Jackson couldn't get open like he normally would when healthy.

Got ya :thumbsup:

It's all of that and more. You're comparing apples to oranges in terms of the position and the type of pressure that Cutler sees every offensive down versus what a wide receiver deals with every single down.

Further, DeSean Jackson DIDN'T CONTRIBUTE SH!T for the Eagles in the Green Bay game. Do you think the fact that he came back and did nothing makes any fan of the game happy... or do you think most would find that a huge waste of an important position?

Finally - his grade 2 MCL sprain is keeping him out of a game that is taking place more than a month after the injury. While the game is meaningless, given his low base pay and the fact that he is not going to go try for whatever bonus dough he'd get for playing the game - it simply goes to show you that a grade 2 MCL sprain IS a bigger deal than most of you asstards could possibly even comprehend.

It's all of that and more. You're comparing apples to oranges in terms of the position and the type of pressure that Cutler sees every offensive down versus what a wide receiver deals with every single down.

Further, DeSean Jackson DIDN'T CONTRIBUTE SH!T for the Eagles in the Green Bay game. Do you think the fact that he came back and did nothing makes any fan of the game happy... or do you think most would find that a huge waste of an important position?

Finally - his grade 2 MCL sprain is keeping him out of a game that is taking place more than a month after the injury. While the game is meaningless, given his low base pay and the fact that he is not going to go try for whatever bonus dough he'd get for playing the game - it simply goes to show you that a grade 2 MCL sprain IS a bigger deal than most of you asstards could possibly even comprehend.

I have no problem with Cutler or how things occurred for him in that game. Not a Cutler hater and I have no problem with the coaches replacing him based on this injury.