Sign in to follow this  
cbfalcon

I had to veto a trade last night (keeper league)

Chris Johnson and Percy Harvin for Roddy White and Ced Benson.

I'm not one for vetoing fair trades, or even trades where someone has a 60/40 edge, but this one wasn't even close. If Johnson was in camp, and he and Harvin were closer to the same age as Roddy and Benson, it would be a pretty fair trade. But with one guy's status in question, plus one side of the trade being skewed younger (it is a keeper league afterall), it wasn't the type trade I could allow through the cracks with a clear conscience.

The owners involved are pretty pisssed at me, but I gave them the option of reworking it so it's not so lopsided. It's frustrating that owners are already trying to pull these type maneuvers and we haven't even played a real game yet. :thumbsdown:

I'm not one for vetoing fair trades, or even trades where someone has a 60/40 edge, but this one wasn't even close. If Johnson was in camp, and he and Harvin were closer to the same age as Roddy and Benson, it would be a pretty fair trade. But with one guy's status in question, plus one side of the trade being skewed younger (it is a keeper league afterall), it wasn't the type trade I could allow through the cracks with a clear conscience.

The owners involved are pretty pisssed at me, but I gave them the option of reworking it so it's not so lopsided. It's frustrating that owners are already trying to pull these type maneuvers and we haven't even played a real game yet. :thumbsdown:

I would not play in your league, I like to manage my own team.

I'm afraid you won't get much support around here for vetoing that trade. You might think its not a fair trade, but your opinion is just that. I'd delete my team and leave the league if I were one of those managers.

You have to know what a jerk you are. Not only did you veto the trade, but you posted here where you know you would get ripped for being a horrible commish. I hope you were joking just to start some sarcastic thread about all the rediculous veto posts, but you don't sound that clever

The owners of that trade have a right to be pissed at you. Thats a flat out BAD veto of a trade. I would also not play in your league. What a joke.

If I were one of those teams involved I would punch you really hard in the face and while I'm at it..I'll punch ur wife as well just for being married to a person like yourself...You should step down as commissioner fast before something really bad happens

Top RB with question marks and a WR2 with question marks for a Top WR and a RB2 with question marks.

I don't see the problem with this trade.

Get over yourself dude.

My opinion for you is to resign as commissioner immediately.

Whats the problem with the trade again I dont understand your logic? Who is getting ripped off? You know Benson is pretty much done and on an awful team right?

You have to know what a jerk you are. Not only did you veto the trade, but you posted here where you know you would get ripped for being a horrible commish. I hope you were joking just to start some sarcastic thread about all the rediculous veto posts, but you don't sound that clever

Why am I a jerk? :nono: I only posted here in an effort to vent. Owners trying to push through unfair trades then getting pisssed when I don't fall for it is possibly the most annoying part of being a commish (probably only 2nd to collecting money in a timely manner).

Everyone comes back to my league year after year, and nobody ever asks to take over as commish. Why? Because they know I'm right not to let them get away with these shenanigans.

Why am I a jerk? :nono: I only posted here in an effort to vent. Owners trying to push through unfair trades then getting pisssed when I don't fall for it is possibly the most annoying part of being a commish (probably only 2nd to collecting money in a timely manner).

Everyone comes back to my league year after year, and nobody ever asks to take over as commish. Why? Because they know I'm right not to let them get away with these shenanigans.

Im still have trouble figuring out who is getting ripped off.

People like you make other commissioners like myself look bad!! YOU DO NOT VETO TRADES UNLESS COLLUSION IS INVOLVED!!!

I am totally hoping cjohn signs this week and has a MVP yr and White gets hurt...you will win the TOTAL JACK ASS award of the year..Good Luck to you and I pray for ur safety

Clearly, the job of commish is to educate all league members the proper value of all their players. Once the league assimilates to the commish's value system, then all trades would then go through.

:thumbsdown:

Do the right thing man, revisit the trade and allow it. Let folks manage their teams as they see fit.

:dunno:

Sorry for calling you a jerk, maybe I wasn't harsh enough. I didn't realize you could predict the future. What if CJ holds out all year, what if Harvin or Roddy gets hurt, what if Benson blows up again? It's not fair for you to apply your opinion to other owners when evaluating motivations for trades. And based on the responses here I guess you still think you're right and everyone else is wrong. If you have any integrity you'll admit you were wrong and put the trade thru.

Simply a horrible abuse of commish power. There is no room for trade vetos in fantasy leagues, its as simple as that.

If I think Nate Burleson is going to outscore Andre Johnson and I was to make that trade, than it is my right as the MANAGER OF MY TEAM. who are you to tell me what my players are worth? Not good my friend, not good at all.

I think the trade is fine. Before you veto you should ask yourself if you really think the two teams are working together to make one better. There is nothing wrong with a bad trade. They don't have to be fair and they don't have to be a trade YOU would have made. I think you should let it go.

Not only should you not veto what you perceive to be a lopsided trade, that trade isn't all that lopsided.

Let it go through.

Dont' think your looking out for the best interest of your league here. I don't see anything wrong with the trade. Team A taking a gamble on CJ, and team B giving up a wr, and just maybe a mid tier rb, who could put up decent numbers. Be interesting to see your scoring system. And what division they play in opposed to you? Bad Beans man.. :thumbsdown:

Really how the hell is that an uneven trade?? If you can not be a responsible commissioner you should not be one in first place. Its not your job to decide what trade is fair and what trade is not. Its your job to keep up with website and if issue comes up to make a decision. NOTto be the fantasy police and try and stop someone from getting a player.

What i read into the veto of that trade is you do not want one of the teams involved to get one of those players because it would make his team better. So you vetoed it to stop that from happening to help yourself :nono:

I think the part you guys are failing to think about is that this is a keeper league. The ages of everyone have to be taken into account also. It's not just a trade for now, it's potentially a trade for forever.

Leagues where unfair trades are allowed to go through just become a race to see who can screw the least knowledgeable owners quickest. Gotta have some checks and balances to keep everything legit. Right?

I think the part you guys are failing to think about is that this is a keeper league. The ages of everyone have to be taken into account also. It's not just a trade for now, it's potentially a trade for forever.

Leagues where unfair trades are allowed to go through just become a race to see who can screw the least knowledgeable owners quickest. Gotta have some checks and balances to keep everything legit. Right?

You are the only one not thinking here. But you don't get it. So unilaterally vetoing a trade based on your opinion, which is obviously wrong, is your idea of checks and balances? It's no skin off our backs if you veto or not. But I can safely speak for all of us that we are thankful we are not in your league and don't have your brain. Have a great year!

No. You do not need to check and balance anything other than cheating. That is your job. I was killed by my league for a trade where everyone thought I was getting the better end of the deal. The guy I traded with had his reasons and he ended up winning the league. You just don't know. You could never know. That's why they play the game.

Just admit it. You blew it. Either forbid all trading or allow all trades unless you can prove collusion. Like some one else stated, I would not play in your league. I like to manage my own team!

It's pretty obvious. If you don't know who got ripped off in that trade, then can I join your league please?

This guy has got to be trolling. Let's not feed this any longer and let the thread die, eh?

I've got 7,600 posts. I'm not a troll. :dunno:

You have no right to do this. Worst commish ever. You don't see Roger Goodel telling the Raiders they can't trade a 1st rounder for an old Richard Seymour. This is just retarded. Allow the trade, it's not cheating and not that uneven at all.

I've got 7,600 posts. I'm not a troll. :dunno:

The VaGiants or i mean Giants guy has about 40,000 posts so................ :huh:

If Johnson was in camp, and he and Harvin were closer to the same age as Roddy and Benson, it would be a pretty fair trade. But with one guy's status in question, plus one side of the trade being skewed younger.

So Johnsons value is lower because he isn't in camp

but Johnson and Harvins value is higher because they are younger

But Johnsons value is lower because his status is in question

and Johnson and Harvins value is higher because they are younger

You aren't even helping your point here you dipshit.

It's pretty obvious. If you don't know who got ripped off in that trade, then can I join your league please?

You could join. But we wouldn't let you commish.

:overhead:

Assuming a 12 team league, currently CJ2K's ADP is 1.06 and falling. Roddy White's is 1.12 and steady. At this point experts are expecting CJ to miss games this season. Harvins ADP is 5.11, Benson's is 5.12. I realize it's a keeper league but this gives you an idea of each players value this season. This should be the bulk of your evaluation. There are far too many variables to place a great deal of weight on what will happen next year or beyond.

But even considering that, Harvin may be younger but has his own issues regarding migraines and hasn't played a full 16 game schedule yet.

I really think this is one of the more even trades I've ever seen. Without seeing the other rosters, the CJ owner must feel he doesn't have enough at RB to afford the risk of a CJ holdout.

Plus, I'm not sure you do know who is getting the bad end of this deal.

You say it would be fair if CJ was in camp or if Harvin was older, but those are are contradictory statements. CJ's not in camp, thus lowering his value and forcing that owner to accept some age in the trade to reduce his risk of having a player miss games.

I really do think you need to consider the opinions here and re-examine this deal. If you veto this you'll be hard pressed to ever justify a trade that you may want to make without this trade being used as a reference.

Congratulations. You are officially an awful commish and I hope karma returns the favor.

Since you are smarter than everyone else and able to say definitively a trade is so lopsided as to be vetoed, then why do you even play the games? You should just give yourself the trophy. Or do you already do that?

You did the right thing.

To use an analogy, if you trade away $10 and get $10 back, you are cool if it happens, and cool if it doesn't. It's when you are giving away $5 and getting back $10 that you'll be pissed if the trade doesn't go through.