Sign in to follow this  
Cara

You got lucky in the draft this year when.....

I had targeted Philip Rivers. He went off the board two picks before me in my largest high stakes league. I was "stuck" with Drew Brees. :wub:

Brees also...I was wanting Nicks and he want right before me...Brees was my fall back at that point as I was going to target Rivers later had I gone Nicks.

On the opposite side...guys I have dropped (due to them sucking for a bit or bye week/injuries) that are now contributing on other people's teams and possibly my opponents next week.

Michael Bush

Reggie Bush

Julio Jones

DeAngelo Williams

10-team redraft, 2 teams didn't have QBs yet and both Matt's were still on the board (Ryan and Stafford). I let him choose and he takes Ryan, leaving me with Stafford! I beat him this week in the semi-finals (although his QB was the best part of his team this week). :pointstosky:

AJ Green fell to me @ #10 in a Dynasty rookie and FA draft. :headbanger:

In one league I took Lesean McCoy with the 9th pick and later kind of kicked myself for passing on the "discounted" Chris Johnson (who was taken 1 pick later). Phew.

Ray Rice 5th overall - 2 leagues.

Stafford - 8th and 9th round - 2 leagues

Eli Manning - 9th and 10th round - 2 leagues.

Reggie Bush - I don't remember the round - 2 leagues

Cam Newton - 15th round - 1 league

Made the semis in both leagues, made the finals in one.

jordy nelson and aj greene who I grabbed late 12-13th rd I think?

both were just filler for poss injurys and have filled in great!!

12 Team Redraft, PPR League, had the 1st overall pick. I was lucky that 9 of my first 10 picks panned out:

Round Pick Player

1 1 Ray Rice

2 12 Mike Wallace

3 1 Antonio Gates (was hating this pick early on, but had Daniels while Gates was hurt who produced while I needed him to)

4 12 Dez Bryant

5 1 Percy Harvin (got tired of snapcount & injuries early on and worked a few trades and wound up with Hakeem Nicks eventually)

6 12 Matt Ryan

7 1 Beanie Wells

8 12 Danny Amendola (thought he was the steal of my PPR draft, but I was able to replace him with Antonio Brown)

9 1 Matthew Stafford (even though I drafted Ryan before Stafford, I've started Stafford every week and traded Ryan long ago)

10 12 Willis McGahee

Steve Smith (car) 11th rd

Tony G. 14th rd. Praise Tebow finals here we come! :cheers:

Targeted Fitzgerald as my WR1, he was taken the pick before mine in round 2 so I was "stuck" with Megatron.

Also picked Mathews in round 5, and Lynch in round 8

I took Stafford & Graham a touch early 6th/7th, but I really wanted them & there were big runs on both QB & TEs and I was staring Josh Freeman dead in the face if I didn't jump.

So back to the original question: Forte & Graham were huge early for me.. but now Stafford & MJD are carrying me. It would be nice to have a rock solid WR to build around some year.. but I always seem to fall into RB/RB as i've been getting late draft order spots and I piece together a few second tier guys there. I spent 1/3 of the season trying to make a trade for another decent WR & eventually made a great deal (if i do say so myself), bagging Julio.

If I have a top 5-6 spot next year, i might go RB/WR/WR.. but it's all relative.

The funniest thing with my roster is how many times I almost dropped C.J. Spiller. And now he's likely a pretty important part of trying to get me home.

:overhead:

after keeping Jamaal Charles and drafting Peyton hillis as my #2....

drafting LYNCH in the 8th round single handily saved my season.

I didn't draft a TE and ended up picking up Gronk from the FA pool. And I couldn't make up my mind between him and that rookie TE at St. Louis LOL damn that was a close call. Did this in two leagues and in championship in both.

I drafted (and got laughed at) Fred Jackson in the 4th..."He's not even going to start... that's Spiller's job." Also drafting Foster while hurt, but I wouldn't put that in the same category.

Lynch in the 7th of a 14-teamer and Graham in the 9th completely saved my year.

Got outbid by $0.50 cents by a hated rival on Antonio Gates, which forced me to "settle" for Wes Welker and Jimmy Graham instead.

16 team TD only league sitting with the 15th pick, 3 pts for passing TDs and I watch five QBs go first round (I'm thinking WTF?) my turn comes am I'm like seriously, LeSean McCoy is still there, money all season long.

Then after week 1 I'm offered a trade for of all people Nate Burleson, I counter with Kyle Orton, Burleson and some garbage player for Cam Newton, Jabar Gaffney and some other scrub and he say's and I quote "That seems pretty fair". Gotta love it.

Welp:

- I had Ray Rice as my top ranked back and got lucky when he fell to me at 5th. Vick went a surprising first overall and the guy right in front of me took Chris Johnson. It's PPR and I had Rice 1st on my board and McCoy 2nd, so I still had the option of McCoy, but getting Rice was a steal.

- Not luck...Matt Stafford in the 11th round. I had the guy targetted the entire time as a backup to Roethlisberger (7th round).

- Also not luck, Jimmy Graham in the 12th. Also targetted the entire time.

I'll admit it's always somewhat lucky when someone you're targetting falls to you. I actually could have had an outstanding draft had I been more patient. I drafted Percy Harvin but lost patience too soon on him. Would have been really nice down the stretch to have that kind of production at my #3WR spot.

"settling" for fred jackson when the guy ahead of me took reggie bush.

well, at least until jackson went on ir, anyway.

also taking a flyer on aj green pretty late in my re-draft after a run on also-ran wrs.

"settling" for fred jackson when the guy ahead of me took reggie bush.

well, at least until jackson went on ir, anyway.

also taking a flyer on aj green pretty late in my re-draft after a run on also-ran wrs.

Yeah, AJ Green in my league went in the 12th round...boy do I sure wish it was to me. He doesn't quite have Randy's speed, but lots of other pieces of his game remind me of Moss.

Here was my draft, first in points, 12-1 record, lost in the first round of the playoffs to the dude who had Brees and McCoy :dunno:

Here was my draft, first in points, 12-1 record, lost in the first round of the playoffs to the dude who had Brees and McCoy :dunno:

With the last pick in the draft I take.....Cam Newton, my shiny new keeper for the next 2 years.

ETA: the sweetest thing of all was the unanimous mocking of me taking a flier on a 'project' that will most obviously start 1-2 games before being labeled a complete bust. nooch.

When Ray Rice was still there at my 8th pick and Megatron was still there on my 17th pick and Wallace was still there on my 32nd pick. Man, that was a great first 3 rounds...

Pick before mine in round 5 took Antonio Gates, if he is there I take him over Welker, and went with Gonzo late.

Drafted Lynch in the 7th, but dropped him for DThomas after his big week, would still be in it if I kept him.

I got Fred Jackson(7th), AJ Green(8th), Willis McGahee(10th), and Cam Newton(14th).

The only one I can take real credit for is Green. I targeted and may have reached a little based on ADP but I loved him. Jackson and McGahee were simply the only guys left at that time after people like Lynch, Addai, etc were drafted. And Newton I semi-targeted only because I let all the backups get drafted and I was looking for upside (Romo as a starter). But I was not exactly pleased with him as a backup at the time. Overall I pretty much nailed all my picks after about rd. 5, but it was very luck driven.

Fortune - Steve Smith and FJax. Both were late rounders where I was just filling in depth and decided to take a flier on both.

Luck - One league I showed up late to the online draft (thought it started 30 min later than it did). Missed the first round, computer auto-picked me McCoy. I was kind of pissed at myself, because when I looked at who would have still been on the board, I would have taken AJ instead. Very glad I didn't - McCoy carried me to the playoffs, while AJ would have spent half the year on the bench.

10 Team 1PPR...took McCoy with the 7th pick and felt very confident. I grabbed Roddy with my next pick and was oh so fortunate and perplexed to get MJD in the mid/late 3rd round. I also got Mathews relatively late and handcuffed Tolbert. Needless to say I'm in the ship for the third consecutive year thanks to my RBs...again.

I have been a proponent of the RB/RB draft strategy for many years, but using that strategy my team has failed to make the playoffs in my big $ 10 Teamer for 2 years in a row. So this year I was going mix it up and take Rivers with the 9th pick - all td's are 6pts, btw. Outta left field the guy at #7 grabs Rivers (Vick and Rogers were already gone) and I was "stuck" taking McCoy in the first. I also got Calvin with the 12th overall pick and Romo fell to me in the 6th! I ended up with the best record, the most points and will be playing for the Championship this weekend!