Sign in to follow this  
dream_team

Brees breaks Marino's Record

Players & coaches always says stuff like, "I don't even pay attention to that stuff"... when referring to breaking records. But then the Saints go and do something like this? With the game already wrapped up, Saints call a bunch of passing plays just so that Brees can break the record at home??? I was hoping a Falcon would jump offsides so that there wouldn't be enough yards to break the record.

Am I alone in feeling this way?

It's a regular season game and the clock hasn't hit 0:00 in the 4th quarter yet so I don't know wtf you're talking about. :wacko:

I like Brees a lot... but that just seemed desperate and statpaddy.... pure Tom Brady...

2 minutes left? Really?

Rodgers would have been out of the game in the third quarter.... :doublethumbsup:

Brees and Payton are classless. No way you should be throwing the ball up 22 with 4 minutes to play. That is how you get players hurt.

Wouldn't it be weird if Brady ended the season with more yards after next week? If brees gets hurt or something Brady could pass him up

Brees and Payton are classless. No way you should be throwing the ball up 22 with 4 minutes to play. That is how you get players hurt.

Atlanta is still trying. Why not try to break a record that has stood for 27 years?

It's amazing that a record like this can be broken and that player is not the MVP - regardless of how much the Saints fan chant it. I know the MNF crew tried to talk it down, but this is a new era in football.

Kind of like in baseball when your up big, you do not steal bases and you play base to base baseball. Oh BTW DET was up 28 when Det got the ball back with 11:59 to go against SD. They threw the ball twice. Both on 3rd downs.

If they were going out of their way to break the record than they wouldn't have ran the ball as much as they did.

Infact, with only a few min left the Saints found themselves with the ball around the 33 or 34 yard line with Brees only needing 30.

They knew it and felt that they should at least give Drew a shot at the record on MNF in front of the home fans.

I have no problem with that. Atlanta should have stopped them.

Atlanta is still trying. Why not try to break a record that has stood for 27 years?

Because he'll easily break next week.

I thought they wanted to do it today so he'd be at home... but next week's game is at NO as well. So only thing I can think of is they wanted to do it Monday night on national television? I thought breaking records didn't matter to players & coaches?

I thought they wanted to do it today so he'd be at home... but next week's game is at NO as well. So only thing I can think of is they wanted to do it Monday night on national television? I thought breaking records didn't matter to players & coaches?

They keep stats on everything....All weeek there were commercials regarding how many yards were needed by Drew.

The ratings matter that is for sure.

cheer up. Maybe he'll lose 4 yards on a screen on his first play next week and come out of the game.

cheer up. Maybe he'll lose 4 yards on a screen on his first play next week and come out of the game.

I actually don't really care, and it's not bothering me that much. I'm neither a Saints fan, Falcons fan, Dolphins/Marino fan, nor a Brees hater. My fantasy team didn't lose tonight either because of him. I just found it hypocritical that all week Brees was saying "He's nothing thinking about stuff like that" in regards to the record... but in the end, he goes and does something like this to just to get the record tonight?

Us fans are supposed to think all that matters to players are wins & losses, individual accomplishments aren't important... but this shows they are.

It's a Hall of Fame worthy accomplishment.

And basically it's the second time for Brees being there because he was just 1 pass short in 2008.

This Saints offense has also set records for the most yards in NFL: history beating the 2000 St Louis Rams. They are truly "great" now.

And yes he deserves the MVP.

It's a Hall of Fame worthy accomplishment.

And basically it's the second time for Brees being there because he was just 1 pass short in 2008.

This Saints offense has also set records for the most yards in NFL: history beating the 2000 St Louis Rams. They are truly "great" now.

And yes he deserves the MVP.

No he doesn't. But he deserves runner-up.

Brees deserves to break Marino's record more than any other QB. He made a great run at it two times in the past and finally hit the magic number in his third attempt. Nobody is more classy and nobody works harder. Brees has been the best QB right along with Brady in the game in the last six years.

i had nothing against the saints or brees prior to last night, but that stuff in the 4th quarter was about as classless--and stupid--as i've ever seen a playoff team do.

it would have been quite fitting on the karma end if on the same play brees broke marino's record that he someone else broke his focking leg.

i guess we know now that personal records are more important than the playoffs for the saints.

Brees deserves to break Marino's record more than any other QB. He made a great run at it two times in the past and finally hit the magic number in his third attempt. Nobody is more classy and nobody works harder. Brees has been the best QB right along with Brady in the game in the last six years.

but you risk injury to your qb on a team with a high playoff seed--in a game long long decided--just so your qb can get (at the end of the day) a meaningless record?

classy is a term that probably isn't what we should be debating. how about phrase "FOCKING STUPID!"...maybe even the phrase "FOCKING SELFISH!"

exactly. it's just stupidly mystifying on so many levels.

and no, brees didn't cost me anything in ff. as i said, i really didn't care one way or the other prior to the stupidity that transpired last night.

Of course breaking records matters to players and coaches, and of course they're going to claim it doesn't. This one stood for 27 years, and doing it on national TV was huge. Payton knew Brees wouldn't ask for the opportunity, so he took it upon himself to give him the record that night. Big deal. If the Falcons didn't want it to happen, they have 11 guys on defense who had a chance to stop it. The fans wanted to see it that night anyway, so good for them. It was just 32 more yards passing than if he'd just not passed at all, sheesh.

And this is coming from a guy who grew up idolizing Marino (see my screen name). I hate that the record fell, but I like Brees so I'm happy for the dude. It's not a "meaningless record," it's something that will probably stay on the books for another 30 years or maybe even Brees lifetime (if Brees goes on to pass for another 300 yards next week).

He breaks the all time passing record held by Dan Marino and has a good chance of winning the superbowl. Shouldn't he be MVP?

I think the case can be made. I know everyone is Gaga for Rodgers this season, and rightly so, but I think Brees has closed the gap considerably.

This is never a good argument but we've seen that Flynn can have success in Green Bay's system.

I really think New Orleans is nearly Indy like without Brees.

Uhhh, how quickly we forget...

Peyton Manning: 25,386 yards/183 TD's/78 INT's/2 MVP's/2 SB appearences/1 SB MVP

Tom Brady: 25,640 yards/200 TD's/62 INT's/2 MVP's/1 SB appearence

Drew Brees: 28,005 yards/196 TD's/92 INT's/0 MVP's/1 SB appearence/1 SB MVP

Also, Manning is missing the 2011 season, which will probably be known as the year of the QB, which hurts his stats in this comparison. Also, 7 seasons ago (the season prior to which I gathered these stats) was Manning's record-breaking season, so it's not included in these numbers (49 TD's, MVP).

You can't be serious about Flynn. What success has he had aside from one good game?

I'm not really. More playing devil's advocate than anything.

I do think New Orleans could be Indy like without Brees though. I'm not sure the pack would fall that quite that far.

I think they're both elite and valuable to the point of ridiculousness, so it's a toss-up for me. Both deserve it, probably get a co-MVP this year like when Sanders and Favre shared it.

wait, he is not cocky and never makes stupid statements. Plays his heart out and wins games (and a SB in the process).

And you guys still knock him?

Easily one of the best NFl characters to ever play. He deserves it.

It's not a "meaningless record," it's something that will probably stay on the books for another 30 years or maybe even Brees lifetime (if Brees goes on to pass for another 300 yards next week).

Or for 6 days? What just happened to Romo in the Eagles game could easily happen to Brees in the next Saints game (getting injured early in the game and not returning).

If this happens, then Brady would only need to pass for 191 yards to pass Brees and break the record.

People were saying the stats aren't inflated due to any rules etc, yet we have 4 QB's that could have over 40 td's in one season, unlikely but possible. Sitting at 45, 41, 36, 36.

The 40 TD club was the most exclusive in football, it used to be one player, then Warner joined. Now they are looking to almost double it in one season. Oh and 4 QB's had a shot at the yardage total a few weeks ago too.

Marino (48, 44)

Warner (41)

Brady (50)

Manning (49)

Must be fun to sit back there and know you can't get hit in the head or legs anymore or your WR's can't be touched. This is like football equivalent to the home run steroid era, BS inflated stats.

People were saying the stats aren't inflated due to any rules etc,

really? who? where? they're crazy.

It's common knowledge that the NFL has changed the game to allow for more offense, specifically more passing. This is not debatable.

wait, he is not cocky and never makes stupid statements. Plays his heart out and wins games (and a SB in the process).

And you guys still knock him?

DING! Who is Tom Brady!? :)

really? who? where? they're crazy.

It's common knowledge that the NFL has changed the game to allow for more offense, specifically more passing. This is not debatable.

I thought it was in another thread here the other day. Don't feel like searching for it.

People were saying Marino would realistically go for 60 TD's in this passing environment but the doubters said it was just as pass-whacky back then not a real difference or something to that effect.

i had nothing against the saints or brees prior to last night, but that stuff in the 4th quarter was about as classless--and stupid--as i've ever seen a playoff team do.

it would have been quite fitting on the karma end if on the same play brees broke marino's record that he someone else broke his focking leg.

i guess we know now that personal records are more important than the playoffs for the saints.

Classless? Payton sent a message to his fans last night: Thank you for supporting us all these years. It's been a long journey, enjoy it. And I did. The first words out of my mouth were " I can't believe a Saint holds this record!" with a huge smile on my face. And if he was your player, you would have felt the same.

Fawk the Falcons. They knew Brees was going to attempt it. Stop them! Last year after a late road win against the Falcons, some Saints players posed for pictures on the Falcon logo after the game. The Falcons said it was disrespectful and they wouldn't forget it. Looks like they forgot about it.

The Falcons and Saints hate each other. It's no secret. The have been division rivals since day one. There is no love lost between these teams and had the roles been reversed, Atlanta or any team would have done the same. They might even play again in the wild card round. You think the Saints sent Atlanta a message and the rest of the league? The Saints dominated in all three phases.

Personal records more important than the playoffs? How old are you? Coaches and players in any sport will say and do all the right things in front of the camera. But it's human nature playing competitive sports to strive to be the best and Brees does. Of course personal records are important. Brees acknowleged every player, coach, ball washer, and fan. He's knows he didn't do it by himself and that's what makes him great.

I like Brees a lot... but that just seemed desperate and statpaddy.... pure Tom Brady...

2 minutes left? Really?

Rodgers would have been out of the game in the third quarter.... :doublethumbsup:

At least Brees doesn't have a gay touchdown "dance." :bandana:

I think the case can be made. I know everyone is Gaga for Rodgers this season, and rightly so, but I think Brees has closed the gap considerably.

This is never a good argument but we've seen that Flynn can have success in Green Bay's system.

I think this is extremely accurate.

:thumbsup:

Brees on another level. They wouldn't be doing this with a back up.

Green Bay being very 'Patriots like' with Flynn at the helm.

:thumbsup:

Brees on another level. They wouldn't be doing this with a back up.

Green Bay being very 'Patriots like' with Flynn at the helm.

As someone else said..NO without Brees equals Indy without Peyton

As someone else said..NO without Brees equals Indy without Peyton

Bullshit. NO is loaded with talent on the offensive side of the ball.