Sign in to follow this  
Matt Mueller

Breakout Targets for Next Year

Every year I am on the search for late qbs and tes that will allow me to draft quality rbs/wrs early.

While only playing in 3 leagues, I was able to hit gold on Stafford/Graham in 2 and didn't fair too shabbily with a Matt Ryan/A. Hernandez combination in the other.

That said who are some guys, at any position, that you feel might take a huge leap next year?

Currently at qb no one really intrigues me. I could see something from Dalton possibly but the double matchups with Pitt and Baltimore take a lot off the table for me.

One guy, who I think could be a huge break out target is Jared Cook.

Last 2 games, granted against Indy and Jax:

9-103

8-169-1

Who might be a late pick that could vault into a top performer?

Every year I am on the search for late qbs and tes that will allow me to draft quality rbs/wrs early. While only playing in 3 leagues, I was able to hit gold on Stafford/Graham in 2 and didn't fair too shabbily with a Matt Ryan/A. Hernandez combination in the other. That said who are some guys, at any position, that you feel might take a huge leap next year? Currently at qb no one really intrigues me. I could see something from Dalton possibly but the double matchups with Pitt and Baltimore take a lot off the table for me. One guy, who I think could be a huge break out target is Jared Cook. Last 2 games, granted against Indy and Jax: 9-103 8-169-1 Who might be a late pick that could vault into a top performer?

Cook is on my list as well. At QB I like Vick, Rivers, Schaub and Bradford as bounce back guys who should go later than they will perform. I haven't had a chance to really comb the numbers yet and go through the guys who performed well late, finished strong but were still "disappointments" overall. One name that jumps to mind is Greg Little in Cleveland. He wasn't consistent, but over the last 8 weeks or so you could see things starting to click.

As much as Greg Little was mentioned on this site this year, you'd think he went for 1400 and 17.

As much as Greg Little was mentioned on this site this year, you'd think he went for 1400 and 17.

yes he is below average on a horrible offense with horrible QB.

I welcome anyone to draft him in any round next year.

Spiller started playing better at the end if the year but Fred Jackson will be healthy next year.

Spiller started playing better at the end if the year but Fred Jackson will be healthy next year.

FJax is a RFA so they may just decide to turn it over to Spiller after seeing what they thought they were drafting actually start to play well

CJ Spiller would be my answer. I have a feeling with the way Spiller performed at the end of the season, that the Bills may choose to not resign Fred Jackson.

If Peyton comes back solid, Austin collie

what is victor cruz's real value? Stats say he should be 2nd round next year, but what u guys think his adp will be? 5th round? They will prob let Manningham walk.

Couple of WR that you can take in the late rounds that have a shot finishing in the top 10.

Antonio Brown

Torrey Smith

Greg Little

Damien Williams

Malcolm Floyd - If VJAX don't return

Depending on how the WR situation in SD plays out, Vincent Brown could be intriguing. Big target that had some moments when given the opportunity this year.

I was thinking that Floyd has turned it on at the tail end of the season with 3 games of 90+ yards and a TD in the last 4. :dunno:

I was thinking that Floyd has turned it on at the tail end of the season with 3 games of 90+ yards and a TD in the last 4. :dunno:

Yeah I guess I just don't view Floyd as super under the radar or a breakout. This is his 2nd straight year of solid production at times. If Vjax leaves then Floyd is the obvious name. But in a high volume passing offense and Vjax gone, Brown could be equally as productive.

FJax is a RFA so they may just decide to turn it over to Spiller after seeing what they thought they were drafting actually start to play well

Fred Jackson will be a Patriot next season.

what is victor cruz's real value? Stats say he should be 2nd round next year, but what u guys think his adp will be? 5th round? They will prob let Manningham walk.

my belief is that, come draft time next year, nicks will be the value pick. i've seen alot of people say that cruz became the number 1. not so. nicks was banged up most of the year and cruz's emergence gave the illusion of having passed nicks. but nicks is the guy and can be had later than cruz, imo

Breakout players:

CJ Spiller

Antonio Dixon

Jared Cook

Jerome Simpson

Beneath the radar / value at ADP:

Vick

Rivers

Cruz

Austin

Hernandez

Who has better young weapons then the Raiders on offense? If they stay helathy and that's a big IF. They will be lighting it up. Ford is a monster but hasn't hown it because he's been hurt. Moore reminds me a lot of Mike Wallace. Mcfadden hasn't played with Palmer and when he doesn't Palmers game will go through the roof. People don't realize this team was built around Mcfadden and the running game since he's been gone they have had to air it out a lot more. Mcfadden screen pass could go 60 and that will help palmer. Pus Bush isn't scaring anyone. DHB has shown he's a hard worker and the kid is play well. Reece is a weapon at FB. Boss ain't to bad. This team could be nasty!!!

But if Jackson leaves, there's no way Spiller goes in the late rounds.

Antonio Brown will go 2-3 rounds after M. Wallace and should be a great pick.

Brown will lead team in receptions and yards next year. Without looking he may have the last two months of the season

He will enter his magical third year

Plan accordingly

Fred Jackson will be a Patriot next season.

Patriots are set at running back. The two rookies both showed flashes of stardom. I wouldn't be surprised if Ridley gets a lot of touches in the playoffs.

Gresham is another TE I like a lot.

'Jermaine Gresham - TE - Bengals

Pete Prisco of CBSSports.com calls Bengals TE Jermaine Gresham one of the most improved players in the NFL over the second half of the season.

Per Prisco, the book on Gresham last year and early this season was that he missed assignments and ran sloppy routes. He's now more comfortable in Jay Gruden's offense. NFL Network's Michael Lombardi nominated Gresham and the Titans' Jared Cook as two tight ends who could graduate to Pro Bowl caliber in 2012.

Related: Jared Cook

Source: CBSSports.com'

Patriots are set at running back. The two rookies both showed flashes of stardom. I wouldn't be surprised if Ridley gets a lot of touches in the playoffs.

You can't rely on Pats running backs from year to year.

Ridley looks like he has promise but Vereen is lurking and Woodhead and BJGE are still around. Very crowded.

I'd temper expectations on Antonio Brown. I don't doubt his real world talent but I don't see him scoring more than 7-8 touchdowns maximum in a season for the Steelers just like Holmes. In fact, he reminds me a lot of a young Holmes although he might be a tad smaller and have faster feet. Either way, I see Brown's fantasy value being highest in PPR. Ben clearly has a lot of chemistry with him as Brown is great at breaking off routes and getting open school-yard football style when Ben is running around outside the pocket. The catches will be there and the yards will come in big chunks but I don't see him ever being a dominant number 1 because of the lack of touchdowns. He should be a rock solid number 2 though.

(From a Steelers fan)

Who has better young weapons then the Raiders on offense? If they stay helathy and that's a big IF. They will be lighting it up. Ford is a monster but hasn't hown it because he's been hurt. Moore reminds me a lot of Mike Wallace. Mcfadden hasn't played with Palmer and when he doesn't Palmers game will go through the roof. People don't realize this team was built around Mcfadden and the running game since he's been gone they have had to air it out a lot more. Mcfadden screen pass could go 60 and that will help palmer. Pus Bush isn't scaring anyone. DHB has shown he's a hard worker and the kid is play well. Reece is a weapon at FB. Boss ain't to bad. This team could be nasty!!!

I agree and have Ford and DHB as late values that I will be favoring over wrs like Jerome Simpson, Lance Moore... etc..

You can't rely on Pats running backs from year to year.

Ridley looks like he has promise but Vereen is lurking and Woodhead and BJGE are still around. Very crowded.

No doubt. I was just saying they would not go after Jackson.

I'd temper expectations on Antonio Brown. I don't doubt his real world talent but I don't see him scoring more than 7-8 touchdowns maximum in a season for the Steelers just like Holmes. In fact, he reminds me a lot of a young Holmes although he might be a tad smaller and have faster feet. Either way, I see Brown's fantasy value being highest in PPR. Ben clearly has a lot of chemistry with him as Brown is great at breaking off routes and getting open school-yard football style when Ben is running around outside the pocket. The catches will be there and the yards will come in big chunks but I don't see him ever being a dominant number 1 because of the lack of touchdowns. He should be a rock solid number 2 though.

(From a Steelers fan)

I appreciate the first hand appraisal being that you obviously have payed more attention,, and Brown indeed doesnt have that prototype number 1 physique that you would like to compare to a Megatron, AJ, etc...

I believe his value as well is in PPR leagues / keeper leagues,, I personally am already scratching my head in a keeper league that you can keep only 2 WRs.

My choices...

Andre Johnson

Hakeem Nicks

Antonio Brown

Good problem to have I get that,,, but that cuts going to be tough,, probably at this early point I would actually be letting AJ go, but that might all change.

At TE I also like Jared Cook. I was expecting him to breakout this season but it never really happened other than some flashes here and there. Next year he will be the late round steal at TE with Locker finally taking over.

Another TE I also like a lot is Kyle Rudolph from the Vikings. He's a physical freak a la Gates, Gronk and Graham. I also like Brent Celek as another TE to target so its safe to stay I will be waiting on TE late again next season (Jimmy Graham owner).

(From a Steelers fan)

7 or 8 td?

A.johnson last 4 yr td 8-9-8-8

I will gladly take a.brown late and get 7 or 8 td and a couple special team td to go with it

And it doesn't appear ab will end up with many 3 pt games judgment from his production since he got starting spot

Just saying 7 or 8 yds is great....check out wr tds...double digit isn't very common

(From a Steelers fan)

Um, the kid hasn't even been a starter for a full season yet, and he's going to get the opportunity to catch a lot of balls as long as Mike Wallace is in.

Problem with Cook is that too many folks might come into the draft with the same idea. If so, no blue light special on the guy. Depending on what happens in Indy, there's someone who we've totally forgotten this year who likely won't be on next season's radar - but maybe should be: Austin Collie. Remember him?

Problem with Cook is that too many folks might come into the draft with the same idea. If so, no blue light special on the guy. Depending on what happens in Indy, there's someone who we've totally forgotten this year who likely won't be on next season's radar - but maybe should be: Austin Collie. Remember him?

refer to post number 9

titus young.

he's got the speed, hands, and moves. has stafford throwing to him. if you've watched detroit this year, you've watched this rookie start to blossom. reminds me a lot of desean jackson (pre big head jackson).