Sign in to follow this  
cyclone24

The National Anthem

So what is the rule on standing and paying your respects for the national anthem? Do you have to be IN the arena or stadium? Walking outside but you can hear it?

What about if you are at a bar? Do you stand in silence then?......at your home? Just wondering.

Also...women....take off your focking hats!!

Also....this may be moon landing for many of you but what a great story about how the lyrics came about for the anthem. If you dont know....its tremendous...

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light

What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?

Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,

O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?

And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,

Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.

Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave

O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

It is so routinely butchered by dumbass R&B artists, that I usually stand up, and then vomit.

Ha thats true.....i thought the story was great too.....honestly, sadly i hadnt heard that....or forgot it if i did.

I only stand for oh canada

- At the event, pretty easy. Stand, remove hat, hat over heart

- If I'm outside anywhere, hear the music and can see a flag, same thing

- At home I don't stand, but I shut the fock up and make sure everyone else in the room does as well.

- At home I don't stand, but I shut the fock up and make sure everyone else in the room does as well.

This.

I do remember though that everyone(except 2)stood during the anthem at our Superbowl party the year of the 9-11 attacks.The 2 that didn't stand were Jehova's Witnesses said something about they didn't believe in honoring anything but God.

This pisses me off, when dipsh!ts leave their focking hat on through the anthem.

I think it's ok to stay seated if you're sporting a massive woodrow. :banana:

even though that might be greater indicator of your Patriotism

:unsure:

Never understood people who think you have to put your hand over your heart. It's not the pledge.

I will usually take off ky hat if I'm wearing one and put my hands behimg my back and bow my head.

U can put ur hand over your heart if y want but don't cry if others dont

Never understood people who think you have to put your hand over your heart. It's not the pledge.

I will usually take off ky hat if I'm wearing one and put my hands behimg my back and bow my head.

U can put ur hand over your heart if y want but don't cry if others dont

Because it's part of the United States Code, that's why.

THE UNITED STATES CODE

title 36

subtitle I

part A

chapter 3

§ (subsection ?) 301

§ 301. National anthem

(a) Designation.- The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.

(B) Conduct During Playing.- During a rendition of the national anthem-

(1) when the flag is displayed-

(A) all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;

(B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and

© individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and

(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_you_put_your_hand_over_your_heart_during_the_national_anthom#ixzz1mIcsj7Z8

Because it's part of the United States Code, that's why.

THE UNITED STATES CODE

title 36

subtitle I

part A

chapter 3

§ (subsection ?) 301

§ 301. National anthem

(a) Designation.- The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem.

(B) Conduct During Playing.- During a rendition of the national anthem-

(1) when the flag is displayed-

(A) all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;

(B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and

© individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and

(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_you_put_your_hand_over_your_heart_during_the_national_anthom#ixzz1mIcsj7Z8

thanks. i probably did know that but i know alot of people do not do the hand over heart thing at games. i think its more than enough to bow your head in silence and remove your hat.

I think being quiet and looking like you are paying attention is plenty. If you don't want to stand up, fine. If anyone hassles you they should shut up and mind their own business.

I think being quiet and looking like you are paying attention is plenty. If you don't want to stand up, fine. If anyone hassles you they should shut up and mind their own business.

I usually stand, arms behind back scouring the immediate crowd for about 15 seconds to see if any jackarses havent removed their hats. Then i glare at the dumb b!tches who wont take their focking hats off.

Little story...went to an Iowa State football game with two buddies one time and one got a call from his wife just as the anthem started. So hes on the phone with her and people in front turned around giving him crap about it. What they didnt know was that he and the other guy have been top notch singers their whole life.....

So he stops his convo with the wife and says "Hold on...we'll sing for you ha".....they both got together and just belted out the rest of the song brilliantly of course in that harmony where one sings higher and the other lower?...anyway...they got done and the sneering people in front go "That was actually pretty outstanding"

Where I bowl on fridays they play that song before practice, everyone stands up and does the pledge thing... except me and all the people in the poker room. I'm not really trying to be disrespectful, but I never thought of bowling as a sport or anything. I stand when I go see the Tigers or Red wings and stuff, but I'm. Trying to put my bowling shoes on the rite feet and scoping out the hotties and the fat mother focker behind the counter belts out our national song. Some old people look at me funny so now I just go up to the bar and get a drink when they play it. I still think its strange to do that at a bowling alley/bar/poker place.

Where I bowl on fridays they play that song before practice, everyone stands up and does the pledge thing... except me and all the people in the poker room. I'm not really trying to be disrespectful, but I never thought of bowling as a sport or anything. I stand when I go see the Tigers or Red wings and stuff, but I'm. Trying to put my bowling shoes on the rite feet and scoping out the hotties and the fat mother focker behind the counter belts out our national song. Some old people look at me funny so now I just go up to the bar and get a drink when they play it. I still think its strange to do that at a bowling alley/bar/poker place.

I'm as patriotic as it comes, but that's focking funny.