Sign in to follow this  
southcarolina

Patriots sign Brandon Lloyd

What is the public perception of Lloyd's effectiveness? Will his recent success continue or will NE's propensity to spread the wealth have his stats dropping back into the masses?

Lloyd's best season wasn't really that great from a rec standpoint (hasn't ever broke 80 recs in his career), and he's not going to increase his recs in NE with all of those other options for Brady to spread it out to. So in PPR, he's still not that great IMO.

He still has a chance to break 1,000 yds in my mind, but no way does he get back to double-digit TDs. Once inside the redzone he'll be invisible. If he isn't scoring TDs from 20+ yds out, he's going to have a real tough time putting up TDs...

Lloyd's best season wasn't really that great from a rec standpoint (hasn't ever broke 80 recs in his career), and he's not going to increase his recs in NE with all of those other options for Brady to spread it out to. So in PPR, he's still not that great IMO.

He still has a chance to break 1,000 yds in my mind, but no way does he get back to double-digit TDs. Once inside the redzone he'll be invisible. If he isn't scoring TDs from 20+ yds out, he's going to have a real tough time putting up TDs...

This seems pretty spot on. The offense is still going to flow through Welker, and in the red zone Gronkowski. Opposing defenses now have 4 legit targets to defend in Welker, Gronk, Hernandez and Lloyd. He wont put up Randy Moss numbers, but i could see him having a monster game from time to time if opposing defenses sell out to stop Gronk and Welker.

Plenty of naysayers out there. Personally, I think the stars are aligning for Lloyd. I will draft him. Feel free to do so also.

Damn that is a focking bargain for my Pats! :pointstosky:

Fantasywise, I think Lloyd would be a great late-round pick. Could be a spot starter with the potential for more.

Damn that is a focking bargain for my Pats! :pointstosky:

Fantasywise, I think Lloyd would be a great late-round pick. Could be a spot starter with the potential for more.

He will be overvalued in most leagues, I just don't see him lasting until the late rounds.

Lloyd has a reputation for not giving his best effort in practice and game situations. I know that was a factor for the bears letting him go. I dont see belichik keeping him in the game very often if he isnt giving 100% when the ball isnt coming his way.

Why would denver and st louis not keep him around if he was as good as his numbers showed 2 years ago. He got 1 lucky year in a bad division against defenses that over looked him. I can see a later round flier, but i would be happy to see him get taken in the same spot as last year by some dope who thinks he is getting 2010 brandon lloyd.

I don't know about the late round flier bit. That's overly pessimistic. The best QB to ever throw Lloyd a ball was Orton. Brady >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Orton. And despite the lazy comment, the entire world knows of McDaniels' love for Lloyd (and visa versa). further, Lloyd's best attributes are exactly what NE needs, great hands and big play ability. It's not like there are only 20 receiving TDs to go around in New England. I think Lloyd's value will depend on the rapport he develops with Brady in the preseason. If they seem to click early, he's a top 20 WR. If not he's a early-mid round guy with upside.

You can now cross NE off the Wallace watch list!!!

Gronk and Wes are the ones to own and Ahern if you can get him at value. Llyod will be the 4th option

MFFLs post above was pretty good IMO.

From a fantasy standpoint Lloyd isn't going to be elite.

From a real football standpoint he's exactly waft NE need to compliment what they already do.

Gronk and Wes are the ones to own and Ahern if you can get him at value. Llyod will be the 4th option

Exactly. If people take Lloyd in the early or mid rounds, heaven help them. He'll play an important role for the Pats but it won't be consistent enough for top fantasy production with Welker, Gronkowski, and Hernandez around.

I think he is over-rated, but I am glad with the contract. I was worried that would have to spend 7 to 8 Mil a year for him. $12 Mover 3 years is well worth the risk.

From a fantasy point of view, I don't think he will be consistent enough to draft high.

Patriots cheat again - convince Lloyd to sign for 3 years and 12 million? That's a focking steal.

Now Welker needs to fall in line.

Patriots also signed former Rams and Broncos tight end Daniel Fells 3 years around 2 million per season, plus escalators.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7708463/2012-nfl-free-agency-daniel-fells-expected-sign-new-england-patriots-source-said

I guess the thought is that Fells would relieve Hernandez of his blocking duties, and free him up to be a solely a pass catcher

Patriots also signed former Rams and Broncos tight end Daniel Fells 3 years around 2 million per season, plus escalators.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7708463/2012-nfl-free-agency-daniel-fells-expected-sign-new-england-patriots-source-said

I guess the thought is that Fells would relieve Hernandez of his blocking duties, and free him up to be a solely a pass catcher

:thumbsup:

Lloyd goes deep - stretches field

Hernandez is that mid to deep range, large body target

Welker is that short to mid range, quick target

Gronk is that short to mid range, large target

Branch becomes a 5th option

Edelman and recently signed Anthony Gonzales? Depth options who are mid range targets (I guess).

Fells becomes the full blocking TE.

Nate Solder no longer plays OL/TE hybrid, he becomes full time Left Tackle.

S. Vollmer becomes full time Right Tackle.

:dunno:

Sounds to me like Aaron Hernandez is the one that gets the biggest fantasy bump out of all this. He's a TE that will rarely be blocking and often lined up as a WR.

Edelman and recently signed Anthony Gonzales? Depth options who are mid range targets (I guess).

Sounds to me like Aaron Hernandez is the one that gets the biggest fantasy bump out of all this. He's a TE that will rarely be blocking and often lined up as a WR.

Am I crazy that I think Hernandez is really overrated? I just don't see it. He's essentially a WR and I just don't think he's that good.

Am I crazy that I think Hernandez is really overrated? I just don't see it. He's essentially a WR and I just don't think he's that good.

how often do you watch him play?

He's terrific in open space - good enough that NE would use him selectively as a RB on toss/outside run plays.

He's pretty big/strong too, maybe not quite the tank that Gronk is... but certainly a tank as a WR.

I agree with you in the sense that he hasn't "blown up" yet, he's still "potential", but all the tools are there for him to succeed in both Real Football and Fantasy Football.

I love Gronk, but he'll be overrated this year after a record setting season.

how often do you watch him play?

He's terrific in open space - good enough that NE would use him selectively as a RB on toss/outside run plays.

He's pretty big/strong too, maybe not quite the tank that Gronk is... but certainly a tank as a WR.

I agree with you in the sense that he hasn't "blown up" yet, he's still "potential", but all the tools are there for him to succeed in both Real Football and Fantasy Football.

I love Gronk, but he'll be overrated this year after a record setting season.

Hernandez is a matchup nightmare. You put your nickel corner on him and he will just physically dominate him with short post up routes. You put a LB or a big safety on him to try and match his physicality and he can run away from him. Also, with the Pats dink and dunk passing game, Hernandez is a valuable red zone target with WR speed and hands in a TE's body.

Hernandez is a beast and with the way belichik keeps eeryone guessing he could end up the primary redzone threat this year.

As far as this being the best qb Lloyd ever played with the same went for chad johnson and look how that worked out.

He drops a few too many balls for my liking, but other than that he is very good.

Hernandez is a beast and with the way belichik keeps eeryone guessing he could end up the primary redzone threat this year.

As far as this being the best qb Lloyd ever played with the same went for chad johnson and look how that worked out.

By all accounts, Ocho's problem was not understanding the Pats' offensive system. Lloyd has played and had success in a very similar system with McDaniels for several years now.

By all accounts, Ocho's problem was not understanding the Pats' offensive system. Lloyd has played and had success in a very similar system with McDaniels for several years now.

Agreed--you can't compare Ochocinco to Lloyd in this offense. The people who are claiming that Lloyd isn't a burner are missing the point. Lloyd obviously isn't the vertical threat of young Moss, but he's versatile and, most significantly, creates a viable option to the seam opposite Welker. I've been a huge fan of Branch over the years, but he's no longer a playmaker in single coverage. This stretches the field somewhat, but more significantly, it puts more pressure on opposing secondaries.

Patriots apparently just signed Donte Stallworth to a one year deal per Adam Schefter.

Never lived up to the hype coming out of the draft, but he's transformed himself into a pretty good guard.

Signed a 1 year deal, apparently. Pretty good depth signing, especially if Waters does indeed return.

I was just thinking about how crowded the pass catching roster has become. You already have Ocho released which I agree with (Has it happened yet?).

I dont see any room for anyone else on the roster other than what you have stated above. I would still avoid the WRs other than Welker and the TEs for FF as there just isnt enough balls to go around. Lloyd will have the big play and game here and there but will also throw up some goose eggs.

If it wasnt obvious, Brady should be headed for another 4500+ yd \ 35+ TD year.

I was just thinking about how crowded the pass catching roster has become. You already have Ocho released which I agree with (Has it happened yet?).

I dont see any room for anyone else on the roster other than what you have stated above. I would still avoid the WRs other than Welker and the TEs for FF as there just isnt enough balls to go around. Lloyd will have the big play and game here and there but will also throw up some goose eggs.

If it wasnt obvious, Brady should be headed for another 4500+ yd \ 35+ TD year.

That doesn't even include Donte Stallworth...

Branch is a UFA. He might come back at a veteran minimum, but Lloyd is probably taking Ocho's spot (and likely his cap space). Stallworth can be a field stretcher for the team and I don't see much change from last year in the use of the TE's. Solder played a hybrid in some goal line situations and when they wanted to establish the run.

That doesn't even include Donte Stallworth...

I'd be surprised if he is on the roster for week 1.

I smell another Super Bowl victory with this move :thumbsup:

Pats 35

Packers - 17

a win/win for all.

NE gets another Championship.

GB is just happy to make it back again.

:doublethumbsup:

Pats 35

Packers - 17

a win/win for all.

NE gets another Championship.

GB is just happy to make it back again.

:doublethumbsup:

I will try to grant you this win because Tommy Statpadder is getting up there in years and this is probably new england's last hurrah...

but then after that, it's going to be all Packers :music_guitarred:

I will try to grant you this win because Tommy Statpadder is getting up there in years and this is probably new england's last hurrah...

Not with the Packers caring more about the Dancing With the Stars Championships. :banana:

You could call Rodgers and Brees statpadders too. I'll wait to see the Packers win a playoff game when they're favored. I admit their 2010 run was great but as the 6 seed they had nothing to lose.

I will try to grant you this win because Tommy Statpadder is getting up there in years

thanks donny :cheers:

this may not work out the way you think it will though - unlike Aaron Rodgers, Brady's not asked to do all that much physically, he doesn't run, he doesn't throw the ball very far, he's always on the injury list so he wears a red-no-contact shirt in practice.

Brady may play until he's 45, he doesn't put any wear on his legs or arm... so long as his mind stays sharp and he can still read a defense... Aaron Rodgers may be retired long before Brady's done.

Aaron Rodgers may be retired long before Brady's done.

retarded as well.

one more serious concussion and he's toast