Sign in to follow this  
SUXBNME

Ask a stoopid grease monkey a stoopid car related question

What ails your tired ride?

Go !@#

what is the likelihood of the exhaust temp or coolant temp sensors being the culprit for HHO fuel cells not working instead of o2 sensors?

how can the o2 sensor actually sense oxygen? is a heat sensor of some sort?

what about egr? what exactly does it sense, and if there isn't enough of it (whatever it is) could it ask the car for more fuel?

I've got a Volvo (shocker, I know) and the dealership (not to be trusted) is trying to convince me that I need to drop about a grand to upgrade all the software. On a scale of one to ten, how full of sh!t are they?

Downstream of the Cat, yes it is. (in obd2, at least)

I've got a Volvo (shocker, I know) and the dealership (not to be trusted) is trying to convince me that I need to drop about a grand to upgrade all the software. On a scale of one to ten, how full of sh!t are they?

I have no idea WTF they are talking about. If you can be more specific, I'm sure I have a retarded opinion about it.

Also, nothing wrong with Volvo :thumbsup:

Mercedes, BMW, Audi and VW are the sh1t cars in my world.

How much do you charge per hour? ;)

Shop rate is currently $97.00 per hour. Soon to go up to $105.00

Shop rate is currently $97.00 per hour. Soon to go up to $105.00

So, for Old Maid's purposes she needs to bring about $5 for you to get the job done. :banana:

So, for Old Maid's purposes she needs to bring about $5 for you to get the job done. :banana:

:D

Do you think he offers a money back guarantee?

I have no idea WTF they are talking about. If you can be more specific, I'm sure I have a retarded opinion about it.

I was just joking about how I fit the stereotype for a typical enlightened liberal d0uchebag Volvo driver.

More detail : they said the software is out of date on my 5 year old Volvo. I guess the software is periodically upgraded and these upgrades fix things that can potentially go wrong with the car. So if I don't pay what seems to be an exorbitant amount for upgrades, my climate control system and stuff like that might go haywire on me.

Sounds like a crock of sh!t to me but what do I know?

:nono:

I've had a few BMW's in my lifetime and never had a problem with them.

What's your opinion of the VW Golf? Not a brand new one, but maybe 5 years old or so. Are they reliable? And when something goes wrong, is it expensive to fix?

I'm looking at a 2009 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab with about 46K. GM Cert. What are the major issues with those trucks, and do you think they are made reasonably well? I need a 4wd truck that can haul my three kids around...

thanks.

I'm looking at a 2009 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab with about 46K. GM Cert. What are the major issues with those trucks, and do you think they are made reasonably well? I need a 4wd truck that can haul my three kids around...

thanks.

Which engine?

Was the Dodge Omni the best car ever made?

Nope. It is #4 behind the gremlin, the pinto, RP's Ford Deisel, and the Volt.

What's your opinion of the VW Golf? Not a brand new one, but maybe 5 years old or so. Are they reliable? And when something goes wrong, is it expensive to fix?

As a general rule I hate VW, but the Golf has seemed to be a pretty reliable car. Did I mention that I hate German cars (working on them) in general?

The most over engineered crap in the history of over engineered crap.

GJust make sure that the timing belt has been replaced, and if not, replace it. (depending on mileage)

It's an interference engine, and if you snap one when driving thee will be some valve damage.

Bottom line, if you like the ergonomics, and the price is right, go for it.

I'm still ignoring the rattling valve in my jeep hoping it'll go away on its own. How long will my ignorance be bliss? :huh:

Which engine?

I have a 2007 suburban as well, had oil comsumption issues, but was corrected...same engine I am assuming...

I have a 2007 suburban as well, had oil comsumption issues, but was corrected...same engine I am assuming...

You will have suspension and steering issues (ball joints, inner tie rods), but being that it is GM Certified, they might have already replaced the offending parts. :thumbsup:

Honestly, when Im made this thread I was bored at work and the thought process was to try and help fellow geeks with current problems with their vehicles.

My advice on what to buy is dumb at best. (except for BMW..They are the total suck. Even more sucky than a Newbie reponse to an RP thread *)

* = Old Maid is a BMW honk only because she leases the damn things and doesn't have to worry about their crappy quality come fixing time

How much of that do you take?

Meh...I'm hourly and I'm embarrassed to admit how little I make. Remember where we are at :banana:

Bottom line is I really like my job, and I'm just happy to not be a sponge on society like I used to be. :cheers:

Nope. It is #4 behind the gremlin, the pinto, RP's Ford Deisel, and the Volt.

Wouldn't that make it #5?

You will have suspension and steering issues (ball joints, inner tie rods), but being that it is GM Certified, they might have already replaced the offending parts. :thumbsup:

Honestly, when Im made this thread I was bored at work and the thought process was to try and help fellow geeks with current problems with their vehicles.

My advice on what to buy is dumb at best. (except for BMW..They are the total suck. Even more sucky than a Newbie reponse to an RP thread *)

* = Old Maid is a BMW honk only because she leases the damn things and doesn't have to worry about their crappy quality come fixing time

Umm, no Sweetie... I buy, but never kept one for for than 4yrs.

The air running over the sensor produces an electric charge that the sensor converts to reading

catalytic converter on my 07 f150, what's it gonna cost me ?

Usually have 2 cats a pre and post. If both and you go cheap aftermarket ~$1500

Umm, no Sweetie... I buy, but never kept one for for than 4yrs.

Sounds dumb, just lease then if you know you aren't going to keep it. Post lease bmws go cheap as they are money pits out of warranty

if my alernator doesn't alternate can it it be alternated for another alternator?

Yep my suburban had the same issues, all replaced under warranty...

The air running over the sensor produces an electric charge that the sensor converts to reading

if i'm burning fuel more efficiently through the addition of hydrogen or hho, i should produce more carbon dioxide and water and less of the poisons, or trash as i call it, yet more heat as a result of better combustion. is the car programmed to expect a certain amount of trash and if it doesn't see it, it asks for more fuel to compensate? what does oxygen have to do with it? if carbon dioxide is a by product of efficient combustion, wouldn't the car be happier? there are some shenanigans somewhere in this computer car scam game. what should i do to make the car see the right "electric charge" that allows better efficiency?

if i'm burning fuel more efficiently through the addition of hydrogen or hho, i should produce more carbon dioxide and water and less of the poisons, or trash as i call it, yet more heat as a result of better combustion. is the car programmed to expect a certain amount of trash and if it doesn't see it, it asks for more fuel to compensate? what does oxygen have to do with it? if carbon dioxide is a by product of efficient combustion, wouldn't the car be happier? there are some shenanigans somewhere in this computer car scam game. what should i do to make the car see the right "electric charge" that allows better efficiency?

Science states that HHO's cannot work as advertised. They cannot violate the first law of thermodynamics which states "Energy cannot be created or destroyed".

It causes the alternator to work harder to power the electrolysis unit. Since electrolysis is inefficient, the energy required to produce the hydrogen is much higher than the energy gained by the hydrogen. HHO's will cause a vehicles MPG to drop.

I drive a Honda and get new every 5 years so I got no questions whatsoever.

I would say dumb move on your part if you were buying new, but the resale value on most Hondas is incredible :thumbsup:

What model do you usually get?

I drove to a hole in the wall Messican restaurant tonight. They had a special. 2 feline burritos for $1.79. Being cheap, I was all over it. On my way home, my muffler blew out and my exhaust system was on fire. Do I need a new Katalitic converter?