Sign in to follow this  
Boilermaker04

San Diego receivers

Gates is the obvious choice for which TE/WR you want out of San Diego, but I believe Rivers to be good enough to make at least one other impact WR, maybe two. Who are you favoring out of these choices?

V. Brown 11.09

M. Floyd 8.04

R. Meachem 7.09

E. Royal 14.03

R. Goodman ---

I'm having a hard time getting my thoughts together (hence the topic) on this one, so here's where I'm at:

Don't think Meachem is that good but he has the best opportunity

Brown is good but not the best situation

Floyd has carried the wr1 load before and done well with it

If these ADPs stay nice and low there's great value over here, somewhere

Favoring Brown as a flier pick rather than Floyd/Meachem as a starter

Need to see some preseason reps

Vincent Brown is the best value by far - he has a lot of talent and will put up numbers when others get hurt. I'm lukewarm on the other 2. Devery Henderson is the big beneficiary of Meachem leaving and should be an excellent 3rd receiver fantasy wise.

Vincent Brown is the best value by far - he has a lot of talent and will put up numbers when others get hurt. I'm lukewarm on the other 2. Devery Henderson is the big beneficiary of Meachem leaving and should be an excellent 3rd receiver fantasy wise.

[/quote\

He is the third wr on that team and at best the FIFTH option behind Gates, Matthews, Floyd, Meachem. The only way he puts up even decent stats is with injuries. I am not big on fifth options when evaluating which wrs are going to produce for my team.

Also the beneficiary with Meachem leaving is going to be L. Moore.

As of 7/22 I'm leaning towards Vincent Brown

As of 7/22 I'm leaning towards Vincent Brown

I like Floyd as a wr3. He is really the only proven wr on that squad, and though he is streaky, he has shown me enough in the last few years that he can be Rivers' go to wr.

I'm keeping a close eye on Eddie Royal. More for a ppr type of league. He might not get the long td's, but could tear up the middle of the field on short routes. Lot's of receptions.

(Rotoworld) According to the Union-Tribune San Diego, Eddie Royal "would be trending" if Chargers minicamp was open to the public. Analysis: Beat writer Michael Gehlken is presumably referring to Twitter. Per Gehlken, Royal has looked "sharp, explosive in and out of breaks," and "consistently gets separation." Royal has far more upside in the slot in San Diego than he did in Denver, but will have trouble making a fantasy impact with Robert Meachem, Malcom Floyd, Vincent Brown, and Antonio Gates all in tow.

(TheHuddle) San Diego Chargers head coach Norv Turner said Friday, June 22, that WR Eddie Royal has tremendous speed, and he likened him to great NFL receivers of the past. "He's a real smooth receiver," Turner said. "He reminds me of Charlie Joiner, and reminds me of Henry Ellard, guys that I've been around. He's very deceptive. And sometimes he doesn't look like he's going that fast, and he's hauling." Analysis: Royal will at minimum grab a primary spot in the Chargers' receiver rotation; it remains to be seen if he can push aside Robert Meachem or Malcom Floyd for a starting gig or if he'll battle Vincent Br... (More)

I like Gates #1

Floyd #2

Royal #3

Vinent Brown and Meachem to get the long td's, but few receptions

Phillip Rivers is really the guy to pick up. He's falling a little deeper in drafts than in the past. Great value IMO.

IMO, Floyd is incredible value at his current ADP. As a WR3? Heck, yeah.....with high end WR2/low end WR1 potential.

I always like to draft players who ended strong, so let's look at his #'s. Last 3 games last season:

5/96/1

6/95/1

7/127/1

Yes, please.

That's a tough one. There's a lot not to like about each of those guys.

Malcolm Floyd - Has only ever caught 45 passes at most in a season. Tends to only get long gains. Will be boom or bust, inconsistent. Also, injury prone.

Robert Meachem - Never broke out in New Orleans. Every year is supposed to be his "his year", but he's never topped 50 catches or 800 yards.

Eddie Royal - Hasn't done anything since his rookie year. Terrible catch rate in Denver last two years. Not a red zone or big play guy.

Vincent Brown - Will be battling with Royal for slot receiver position, may not end up getting much playing time. Is neither super fast nor super quick. Hardly set the world on fire his rookie year (though that is not unusual for a WR).

Personally, I am targeting Meachem in the draft. I think maybe this year really could be his year. He has much, much less competition for targets in San Diego than he did in New Orleans. If he sees forty or fifty more targets this year (quite possible), imagine how much his production could improve.

Meachem last year: 60 targets, 40 catches (67% catch rate), 620 yards, 6 TDs

Meachem's numbers extrapolated out with 50 more targets: 110 targets, 73 catches, 1136 yds, 11 TDs

Obviously his catch rate probably won't stay the same if he sees a lot more targets, but still, I like the potential I am seeing.

I'm also watching Eddie Royal. Might take him very, very late in the draft or pick him up off waivers immediately if he looks good. Could be a nice find in PPR leagues.

I like Eddie Royal as the dark horse. Brown and Floyd are what they are at this point.

I still can't help but be intrigued by Meachem. Bust factor is huge though.

Gates

Meachem

Floyd

Royal

In that order for me. I think Rivers bounces back for a solid year and the Chargers make a move in the AFC West.

I'll take Meachem. Floyd will start out hot, then get hurt. He's been injured in 6 out of 7 years in the league, never starting more than 9 games. Brown will relegate Royal to the #4 spot, both will be too far down the depth chart to make an impact.

Gates is the obvious choice for which TE/WR you want out of San Diego, but I believe Rivers to be good enough to make at least one other impact WR, maybe two. Who are you favoring out of these choices?

V. Brown 11.09

M. Floyd 8.04

R. Meachem 7.09

E. Royal 14.03

R. Goodman ---

I'm having a hard time getting my thoughts together (hence the topic) on this one, so here's where I'm at:

If he can stay healthy, Floyd will easlily be the #1 guy and an excellent value at 8.04. The only issue with Floyd is that he gets dinged a lot.

Norv Turner is the NFL's new Al Davis. He likes speedy new fast toys, regardless of whether they can run routes and catch the football. He's raved about both Meachem's and Royal's ability to stretch the field. Neither is quarterback friendly. They simply can't be counted on to be where the QB expects them to be, with Royal being one of the worst route runners in the NFL. That said, I simply don't trust Turner to start his next most reliable WR - Vincent Brown.

It will be a WR cesspool in San Diego. Dont bother. Maybe get Gates if you are in a league where TDs matter because he'll score a few but its a situation where you want the QB of the offense on your FF team and little else. It reminds me of the Pats a few years back or even New Orleans a few years ago. Big passing numbers spread out amongts 4-5 guys. Fock that - good luck. :rolleyes:

V. Brown 11.09

M. Floyd 8.04

R. Meachem 7.09

E. Royal 14.03

R. Goodman ---

I hear you.

My expectation is that two of these guys will put up pretty good numbers and two will disappoint. I'm not huge on any of them specifically, but I am leaning towards Meachem leading the pack. He put up pretty decent in NO with a better cast of WR's around him than what they have in SD.

given the lower quality competition for playing time in SD, I'd expect more looks, more catches, and more yards than what he did in New Orleans.

The question is to what degree will this happen.

This is one of those situations you need to monitor carefully in pre-season. If it looks like a 4 headed monster, I'd expect 850-900 yards from Meachem. But if they declare him a starter early, I'd expect 1000 yards from him.

Floyd is the same situation. Given that Jackson is gone and replaced with Meachem, and even if Meachem is the #1 guy, using the logic that Jackson > Meachem, I'd expect a few more balls in his direction as well. I'd say 900-1000 yards at the low end, but if he actually wins the #1 slot, he may be good for 1100 yards.

In some respects I like Floyds upside more than Meachem, because he knows the QB and the system and Meachem is still learning it. But the bottom line is this:

Right now it's too close to call who will be the #1 guy.

In my mind the other two WR's are fighting for the #3 Slot. it is possible that one of them could compete for the #1 or #2 slot, but I'm not expecting it at this time. I think Brown needs at least another year until he is ready, and Royal I dont think can be a #1 guy. Maybe #2, but more likely #3. I say this solely based on what I have seen while watching him play.

I think some of you guys are asking for way too much from Malcom Floyd.

The dude is 30 years old. He has played 8 seasons in the NFL.

In all of that time, he has never caught more than 45 passes in a season and he has played 16 games only ONCE.

I'm supposed to believe this guy is suddenly going to become a viable WR2? I know the situation has changed with VJax gone, but the guy is what he is.

I'm a Vincent Brown guy with Meechum doing his thing occasionally - but VB is the guy I like this year

i dont buy floyd at all this year. they guy is old and bound to get hurt yet again. he is just very brittle.

meachem will be good as a wr3 and have many hit or miss games.

vincent brown is the guy you want to draft. at his current adp he will be a steal. i do believe floyd will go down, when he does, just hope you have brown because he will take over.

i also like royal but dont think he will have very many targets, if gates goes down he may be take over the middle stuff.

bottom line, What can Brown do for you?

I'm a Vincent Brown guy with Meechum doing his thing occasionally - but VB is the guy I like this year

What do you base this off of? I'm not necessarily disagreeing, I'm just not certain what it is people see in Vincent Brown. He hardly set the world on fire last year. I've seen him play (albeit not very much) and he certainly didn't look like anything special.

:dunno:

5/96/1

6/95/1

7/127/1

-Remember these #'s

i remember his(browns) 2nd game as a starter(floyd hurt) in week 10 vs oakland, a game where vincent jackson stunk up the joint. brown was like a man posessed. he posted 5/97/1td. he should have had another 33 yds for a td that was overturned. i wasnt trying to perform an eye test on him, he just gave one.

play that was overturned:

http://videos.sportsgrid.com/embed/player/container/620/450/?layout=&content_type=content_item&playlist_cid=&media_type=video&content=M72X3C0RBBS4Q0WF&read_more=1&widget_type_cid=svp&referrer=#

very interested to see what he does in preseason

Meachem goes down in Chargers practice

Posted by Evan Silva on August 2, 2012, 12:26 AM EDT

Robert Meachem AP

Michael Gehlken of the Union-Tribune San Diego reports that Chargers wide receiver Robert Meachem was injured in Wednesday night’s training camp practice. Per Gehlken, the injury was to Meachem’s right leg, and possibly his right knee.

Meachem has had right knee problems since his rookie year in New Orleans. He had the same knee scoped this past offseason.

Gehlken reports that Meachem was able to walk off the field on his own power Wednesday night, although he did not return to practice.

Coach Norv Turner stated in a post-practice presser that he doesn’t believe Meachem’s injury was anything serious, allowing that he still needs to speak to the Chargers’ head athletic trainer.

The Chargers signed Meachem to a four-year, $25.9 million contract in March.

paging vincent brown...

From all the camp reports, barring injury, it seems like Meachem and Floyd have the outside spots locked up, with Royal working the slot.

Kind of leaves Brown as the odd man out.

I think both Meachem and Floyd have the best years of their careers.

Floyd got over 900 yards as the #2 last year. I dont think Meachem is as good as the departed Jackson, and he may or may not become the new #1. Either way I think Floyd gets 1000 yards receiving.

Meachem is harder to predict. he got 600-700 yards last 3 years and started roughly half of the games. coming to SD, you gotta think the WR's in SD are not as good as what they got in New Orleans so he will get more looks and more starts. I'm thinking he also hits at least 900-1000 yards.

because of the depth the chargers have (adequate #3 and #4 Wr's and a stud TE) I dont think the upside is much more than 1000 yards for each. Maybe whoever becomes the #1 guy will get 1100 yards, but not much more.

Can I say Floyd, Meachum AND V Brown?

After Rivers got healthier, he finished the season averaging about 290 yards/g, 70% passing competion, 11/3 TD/INT.

I think the Chargers will do some good things this year, they are flying under the radar right now with all the AFC West talk on Manning and the Broncos.

They've got Oak,Den,K.C twice this year plus games against Tenn,Falacons,Saints,Ravens,Steelers,Jets & Panthers. Not eaxactly an easy schedule. Call it a hunch or just a felling but I think San Diego's gonna be behind in a number of those games and Rivers is gonna have to try to put points on the board. Gates will get his. So whose gonna be the beneficiary of those extra targets? Meachem or Floyd? Pick your poison.