Sign in to follow this  
jess

Ryan Mathews - Elite? Really?

He played in ONE preseason game and this dude is still gettin love from FF experts everywhere.

I'm considering trading him for McGahee and Morris or Ridley and Morris. Someone please tell me - why is this guy great? What am I missing?

He played in ONE preseason game and this dude is still gettin love from FF experts everywhere.

I'm considering trading him for McGahee and Morris or Ridley and Morris. Someone please tell me - why is this guy great? What am I missing?

Might have something to do with NFL football existing prior to this preseason.

Might have something to do with NFL football existing prior to this preseason.

Brilliant. 6 tds last year. I understand Tolbert was there, but like I said, why is this guy elite?

i think he sucks & loses the job to battle which isn't much of an upgrade...,do not understand why they got rid of sproles

In week 2 San Diego rushed 39 times for 138 yards and 2 touchdowns in a 38-10 win.

Ryan Matthews projects to be the lead back on that team week 3 and when healthy.

Brilliant. 6 tds last year. I understand Tolbert was there, but like I said, why is this guy elite?

Because when you have 6 TD's and 1500 yards in about 13 full time games, things look rosy for you. When the goal line vulture who held you to that (projected) 7 or 8 TD type season disappears, things look even rosier.

He's considered elite because he performs elite.

In week 2 San Diego rushed 39 times for 138 yards and 2 touchdowns in a 38-10 win.

Ryan Matthews projects to be the lead back on that team week 3 and when healthy.

Makes total sense. I know he missed time his rookie year and some time last year as well. I admit that I just have not seen him play enough.

Because when you have 6 TD's and 1500 yards in about 13 full time games, things look rosy for you. When the goal line vulture who held you to that (projected) 7 or 8 TD type season disappears, things look even rosier.

He's considered elite because he performs elite.

This. Take a look at his gamelog from last year: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/13204/ryan-mathews. He averaged 5 ypc last year and is a back who also catches the ball well out of the backfield (50 catches last year). I would say he had 4 below average games last year and in those 4 games he had 65, 57, 51, and 76 total yards respectively. Every other game he had at least 100 total yards with a few TD's sprinkled in. Now that Tolbert is gone he should see at least a slight uptick in his TD totals, while most likely maintaining similar yardage outputs. If this guy is healthy, he's a hell of a RB; it's just that IF is the keyword.

Nothing really. People hype up everyone, then afterwards if things go wrong they just say "I wish you were in my league!" and pretend they didn't hype up 30 different players.

This. Take a look at his gamelog from last year: http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/13204/ryan-mathews. He averaged 5 ypc last year and is a back who also catches the ball well out of the backfield (50 catches last year). I would say he had 4 below average games last year and in those 4 games he had 65, 57, 51, and 76 total yards respectively. Every other game he had at least 100 total yards with a few TD's sprinkled in. Now that Tolbert is gone he should see at least a slight uptick in his TD totals, while most likely maintaining similar yardage outputs. If this guy is healthy, he's a hell of a RB; it's just that IF is the keyword.

Thanks for the link and opinion. I needed to take another long good look at those stats and I was hoping to be talked off the ledge. I think I have been blinded by that big IF that you mentioned. Took Foster with the 2nd pick and got Mathews at 23 - and was pumped about it. I guess that two games without him has challenged my patience.

He performs like an elite back when he plays. He has missed 2 games thus far so I expect him to miss another 4 at some point this year. Brittle.

I have him in my league. I stashed him on the bench and have had other options carrying me through right now.

"Why does everyone think he's awesome? I hate him.

...I drafted him."

Mathews is a really good back. Prepare to be satisfied.

He performs like an elite back when he plays. He has missed 2 games thus far so I expect him to miss another 4 at some point this year. Brittle.

Guess who has missed more games over 2011 and this year

A) Adrian Peterson

B) Ryan Mathews

hes not brittle, hes a 220 lb RB being talked by 260 lb guys 20 times a game. Every RB in the league is equally as fragile, broken collarbone is a fluke injury, as is ACL, but they can happen at anytime on any play

i think he sucks & loses the job to battle which isn't much of an upgrade...,do not understand why they got rid of sproles

2010/2011 Sproles: 2103 Rec/Rush yds 11 TDs

2010/2011 Mathews: 2366 Rec/Rush yards 13 TDs

2010/2011 Sproles: 2103 Rec/Rush yds 11 TDs

2010/2011 Mathews: 2366 Rec/Rush yards 13 TDs

People are certain that Mathews will get all the Red Zone, Goal-line, short yardage work now that Tolbert is out of San Diego. They base that purely on the absence of Tolbert. I don't think that is going to be the case. Battle fits the bill as a short yardage, goal-line pound the rock type back as far as I am concerned. I think he was destined to get a bunch of those carries before Ryan Mathews broke his clavicle and since that injury I think it is even more likely. That's my opinion anyway.

After my draft I traded SJax for Mathews straight up, and have him stashed on my bench behind Forte (before he got hurt), Charles, and Spiller.

I was going to wait and see how he fared this week before starting him, but with Charles a little banged up, and Mathews having a tasty matchup against that Falcons defense, I may have to pull the trigger early.

As others have pointed out, Mathews has an excellent YPC, is a great receiving threat, and his TD vulture is gone. But most importantly, he's a clear cut 3 down back, which is becoming exceedingly rare nowadays.

The only knock on him (and it's a big one) is his durability. Going into drafts, Mathews was the definition of boom or bust...a guy that has the talent and is in the right situation to finish as a top 5 fantasy back, but could just as easily wind up on IR by midseason. Today, that assessment is still accurate, imo.

People are certain that Mathews will get all the Red Zone, Goal-line, short yardage work now that Tolbert is out of San Diego. They base that purely on the absence of Tolbert. I don't think that is going to be the case. Battle fits the bill as a short yardage, goal-line pound the rock type back as far as I am concerned. I think he was destined to get a bunch of those carries before Ryan Mathews broke his clavicle and since that injury I think it is even more likely. That's my opinion anyway.

I dont think Matthews will get ALL the goalline work. But in 2011, he scored 6 TDs, and 5 of them were from the 10 on in. Even with the Redzone TD Vulture God Mike Tolbert around, he still got some touches. Even if one of the other guys completely takes over Tolberts role, Matthews is still a solid RB1. Not elite, but solid. Mike Tolbert scored 8 TDs from inside the 10 last year. I dont see any of the guys on the Chargers roster currently making that big a contribution. Mike Tolbert is actually good. Ronnie Brown, Jackie Batlle, Curtis Brinkley and LeRon McClain arent. Sure some TDs will get vultured, especially in the first couple of weeks while the Chargers figure out how healthy Matthews is. But i cant think of a reason not to be optimistic about his season going forward.

After my draft I traded SJax for Mathews straight up, and have him stashed on my bench behind Forte (before he got hurt), Charles, and Spiller.

I was going to wait and see how he fared this week before starting him, but with Charles a little banged up, and Mathews having a tasty matchup against that Falcons defense, I may have to pull the trigger early.

As others have pointed out, Mathews has an excellent YPC, is a great receiving threat, and his TD vulture is gone. But most importantly, he's a clear cut 3 down back, which is becoming exceedingly rare nowadays.

The only knock on him (and it's a big one) is his durability. Going into drafts, Mathews was the definition of boom or bust...a guy that has the talent and is in the right situation to finish as a top 5 fantasy back, but could just as easily wind up on IR by midseason. Today, that assessment is still accurate, imo.

You think Matthews will do that well against the Falcons? I wasnt gonna start them because they were playing the Falcons lol

You think Matthews will do that well against the Falcons? I wasnt gonna start them because they were playing the Falcons lol

Mcgahee had what 110 and 2td's on the road at the Falcons

Mathews at home, especially in a PPR should have monster numbers, Brown and Brinkley have combined for I believe 14 catches so far, and those will be his as well

Falcons defense is currently 21st in opposing yards per carry, at 4.5. McGahee gashed them on Monday night. Now they have to travel cross country on a short week. I like San Diego to win outright this week, and Mathews will be a big part of it.

I dont think Matthews will get ALL the goalline work. But in 2011, he scored 6 TDs, and 5 of them were from the 10 on in. Even with the Redzone TD Vulture God Mike Tolbert around, he still got some touches. Even if one of the other guys completely takes over Tolberts role, Matthews is still a solid RB1. Not elite, but solid. Mike Tolbert scored 8 TDs from inside the 10 last year. I dont see any of the guys on the Chargers roster currently making that big a contribution. Mike Tolbert is actually good. Ronnie Brown, Jackie Batlle, Curtis Brinkley and LeRon McClain arent. Sure some TDs will get vultured, especially in the first couple of weeks while the Chargers figure out how healthy Matthews is. But i cant think of a reason not to be optimistic about his season going forward.

You appear to be realistic about the situation going in knowing that there are going to be other backs getting touches in San Diego going forward regardless of Mathew's health. There are plenty of owners though that are going to be screaming when another back comes in for pay dirt at various points this season, especially early. The coaching staff is going to be really cautious early and may be all season as he is concerned. I say Battle is going to get at least one TD this week.

you seriously have no clue about football

1) he doesnt suck, he lead the league in yards per touch for RB's last year

2) he could never lose the job to Jackie Battle, Battle is a journeyman, who does well when teams arent expecting him to contribute

3) Sproles sucked his last year in SD, he couldn't run, couldn't return kicks for squat anymore, and was not showing the burst, when they let him go there wasn't a single Charger fan who didnt agree with the move

Guess who has missed more games over 2011 and this year

A) Adrian Peterson

B) Ryan Mathews

hes not brittle, hes a 220 lb RB being talked by 260 lb guys 20 times a game. Every RB in the league is equally as fragile, broken collarbone is a fluke injury, as is ACL, but they can happen at anytime on any play

He has missed 8 of his teams last 34 games. McFadden has missed 12 of his teams last 34 games. Yup, brittle. I expect another 2-3 more this year. The guy who everybody talks about being injury prone is SJax. He has missed 1 game in his teams last 34. Mathews is a very talented back, no question about it, but %^&* seems to happen to him for some reason.

He has missed 8 of his teams last 34 games. McFadden has missed 12 of his teams last 34 games. Yup, brittle. I expect another 2-3 more this year. The guy who everybody talks about being injury prone is SJax. He has missed 1 game in his teams last 34. Mathews is a very talented back, no question about it, but %^&* seems to happen to him for some reason.

this isnt about SJax, Mathews, Mcfadden, anyone. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS INJURY PRONE, its a complete falacy, a RB getting hurt simply has to do with the sport they play.

guys bones arent more brittle, there muscles arent built any different, when you do something at such a high speed, 100% of your time, and then collide with 2-3 guys even bigger then you on any play, there is always a chance to get hurt.

this isnt about SJax, Mathews, Mcfadden, anyone. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS INJURY PRONE, its a complete falacy, a RB getting hurt simply has to do with the sport they play.

guys bones arent more brittle, there muscles arent built any different, when you do something at such a high speed, 100% of your time, and then collide with 2-3 guys even bigger then you on any play, there is always a chance to get hurt.

I don't think that is exactly true. Everyone has a different physiology and their body handles contact and strain in different ways. And it doesn't always have everything to do with conditioning and muscle tone. You can have two people with same basic builds have the same collision and one will get up with at most minor bruising while the other ends up with fractures, major tissue damage and even paralysis or death. When athletes are rehabbing injuries, some heal faster while some never quiet reach that pre-injury condition.:dunno:

You are out of your ever-lov'in mind...

But just in case I have Battle on my team. :bandana:

You are out of your ever-lov'in mind...

How so?

But just in case I have Battle on my team. :bandana:

So are you telling the world here and now that you are starting Jackie Battle this week?

Because your name is Jess and girls don't know fantasy football. There, i said it. :shocking:

The dude finished 8th among RB last year despite playing only 14 games and 222 carries.

With tolbert gone, he will also be the goal line back. His touches and production 'should' go up.

Yes, we know about the injuries but injuries are so hard to predict. Look at last season's draft and the running backs taken in the first 3 rounds. There are a number of them with no injury history but ended up getting hurt (out for season and miss numerous games).

We have players with injury history that stop getting hurt in the league (Sjax and Fragile Freddy).

Not true at all. Find me one proof of evidence that every football player's muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bones are built 100% the same.

They aren't. And anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

On top of that, athletes play, react, and move differently. Some players can anticipate hits better and brace themselves for it. Some players are more physical which lends themselves to more violent hits. Some players play low to the ground and can avoid direct hits. Some players put added stress on different parts of their bodies. Agility players may put extra stress on their knees and ankles, while power players may put added stress on their quads and calves.

Please don't tell me that you actually believe injuries are 100% luck.

You think Drew Brees and Michael Vick are equally susceptible to injuries? You think Adrian Peterson just "lucked out" by being able to fully recover from an ACL tear in a record time?

Mcgahee had what 110 and 2td's on the road at the Falcons

McGahee was running against a defense that was concerned about the pass. Atlanta had a big lead and was willing to let McGahee have his instead of Peyton.

Reasons why you should be high on Ryan Matthews. (Notice i didnt say reasons why i think Ryan Matthews is a 100% lock to be the best RB ever. He could be a bust. Or get hurt again. Or decide he wants to smoke pot and be a faith healer in Tibet. As is, at this moment, Matthews body of work doesnt make him an elite RB. But some of us see his situation and his talent and see a guy who is in a position where he could be elite by the end of the season. He needs to score a few more TDs, but other than that he seems to be in a prime position to take the next step toward elite status )

1)He is one of a very few true three down backs, and has little true competition for work from his backups.

2) Ryan Matthews was 7th in yards from scrimmage last year (Rice, Drew, Johnson, Foster. McCoy, Welker)

3)There were 5 RBs in the NFL last season that caught 50 passes and ran for 1000 yards: Ray Rice, Chris Johnson, Arian Foster, Matt Forte ( if you count RBs who rushed for 999 yards) and Ryan Matthews. If you expand it to 40 receptions and 1000 yards rushing, you include Steven Jackson, Maurice JOnes Drew, Reggie Bush, and Lesean McCoy

4)Everyone is focusing on Tolbert's goal line work, but he also caught 54 passes last year. Those have to be divvied up somehow. If even half of those are directed Matthews way, thats 65-70 reception territory.

5) The focal point of the offense (Antonio Gates) is continuously gimpy. Does anyone believe that focal point 1B is going to be Malcolm Floyd? Dante Rosario?

If you drafted Mathews, then you should've known what you were getting into. If you didn't, you're a dumb@ass. When he's on the field, he's an electric player. But, if you own him, you have to be willing to deal with the injury stigma and plan accordingly. In my opinion, the preseason injury was the best thing for owners for fantasy purposes. He was going to be a top-5 pick before his injury. Because of it, I was able to steal him at 3.07 in my 12-teamer ppr league. I paired him with Run DMC. It's boom or bust for sure, but if they boom I could have the top 2 backs by year's end. If not, it's going to be a long year, but that's fantasy football for you.

Mathews, AP, and Spiller could be the steals of the draft if they stay healthy.

Not true at all. Find me one proof of evidence that every football player's muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bones are built 100% the same.

They aren't. And anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot.

On top of that, athletes play, react, and move differently. Some players can anticipate hits better and brace themselves for it. Some players are more physical which lends themselves to more violent hits. Some players play low to the ground and can avoid direct hits. Some players put added stress on different parts of their bodies. Agility players may put extra stress on their knees and ankles, while power players may put added stress on their quads and calves.

Please don't tell me that you actually believe injuries are 100% luck.

You think Drew Brees and Michael Vick are equally susceptible to injuries? You think Adrian Peterson just "lucked out" by being able to fully recover from an ACL tear in a record time?

susceptible to injury and injury prone are 2 different things. Was Brady injury prone? Why is Stafford injury prone? both guys got hit hard were in an awkward position when it happened. Do either of their prior injuries make them any more likely to get hurt again? Absolutely not. Would the majority of the RB's in the league have broken their collarbones if they landed and were landed on the same way? Probably. As to AP, he doesnt look fully recovered to me

you're right though, not everyone's muscles and ligaments are the same, but none of those issues lead to a guy being injury prone, when being tackled by 260 lb men going at full speed.

simplified translation of original post:

"Can someone tell me who ryan mathews is, please? i drafted him with one of my top picks but have no clue as to who he is. TIA"