Sign in to follow this  
tbk420

Does Norv Turner have some sort of head injury?

I realize that it's pretty frustrating but you Matthews owners have got to move on and forget it. He ain't gonna be a good fantasy player. Ever. I don't care whos coaching him either. It's just not meant to be.

Norv is a jogazz though, no doubt there.

I realize that it's pretty frustrating but you Matthews owners have got to move on and forget it. He ain't gonna be a good fantasy player. Ever. I don't care whos coaching him either. It's just not meant to be.

I just LOVE how Internet wizzkids just KNOW the future!

Riddle me this wizz, does "ever" include last year? Or was last year not part of ever?

:unsure:

It simply boggles the mind how they are using Mathews right now, or not using rather. The guy is one of the best pass catching backs in the league, but they're sitting him for Ronnie Brown and doing goal line and short yardage with Battle? I realize at this point I'm a bitter, frustrated Mathews own and my opinion is biased, but I watched the guy play last year when I didn't own him and over the last half of the season after he shook of the injuries he was a pretty damned good back. The really sad part is that the Chargers have such an easy division/schedule that Norv will probably be able to keep his job and keep Mathews in check with his screwy usage pattern.

It simply boggles the mind how they are using Mathews right now, or not using rather. The guy is one of the best pass catching backs in the league, but they're sitting him for Ronnie Brown and doing goal line and short yardage with Battle? I realize at this point I'm a bitter, frustrated Mathews own and my opinion is biased, but I watched the guy play last year when I didn't own him and over the last half of the season after he shook of the injuries he was a pretty damned good back. The really sad part is that the Chargers have such an easy division/schedule that Norv will probably be able to keep his job and keep Mathews in check with his screwy usage pattern.

They want to keep Mathews fresh.

For what? I have no idea. :dunno:

i think it's all part of a plan to keep his snap count down so that his % chance of injury stays wherever they think they need it.

not saying it's right or wrong, but doing SOMETHING along those lines makes sense to me. i'm not surprised to see brown continuing to hold on to 3rd downs. i have mathews

i think it's all part of a plan to keep his snap count down so that his % chance of injury stays wherever they think they need it.

not saying it's right or wrong, but doing SOMETHING along those lines makes sense to me. i'm not surprised to see brown continuing to hold on to 3rd downs. i have mathews

I understand the concept, but simply cannot fathom having your best offensive player on the sidelines for 1/2 your teams offensive plays. In my mind, Oakland is probably going to win that division and the Chargers are not going to make the playoffs. There is no next year for some of these coaches, and if I'm Norv I ride Mathews into the ground to save my job.

with the way mathews puts the ball on the ground i'd be afraid to give him a lot of carries too.

with the way mathews puts the ball on the ground i'd be afraid to give him a lot of carries too.

Plus, he might break his collarbone trying to scoop up one of his fumbles.

Ever?

He finished 7th overall among RB last season. :unsure:

I understand the concept, but simply cannot fathom having your best offensive player on the sidelines for 1/2 your teams offensive plays. In my mind, Oakland is probably going to win that division and the Chargers are not going to make the playoffs. There is no next year for some of these coaches, and if I'm Norv I ride Mathews into the ground to save my job.

:shocking:

Before you guys get all crazy, the stats for RB on Thursday Night haven't been so hot these days.

The dude got 24 carries just 4 days ago and 22 the prior week. If it wasn't for Cassel poor play, he might have gotten another 5-6 carries last night.

Anyone seen the numbers for RB taken in the middle first to round 3 lately?

Mcffaden

Murray

CJ2K

MJD

Forte

Turner

Charles

Sjax

Rbush

Before you guys get all crazy, the stats for RB on Thursday Night haven't been so hot these days.

The dude got 24 carries just 4 days ago and 22 the prior week. If it wasn't for Cassel poor play, he might have gotten another 5-6 carries last night.

Anyone seen the numbers for RB taken in the middle first to round 3 lately?

Mcffaden

Murray

CJ2K

MJD

Forte

Turner

Charles

Sjax

Rbush

Just proves that if you can't get an elite, 3-down bellcow like (this year) Foster, Rice, Peterson, go elsewhere and take any number of mid to late to waiver backs that will do you just as well. I've said this many times before, but it's really hard to find replacement WRs, TEs and QBs, but it seems there's a different RB hitting the wire each week that can help you win.

Just proves that if you can't get an elite, 3-down bellcow like (this year) Foster, Rice, Peterson, go elsewhere and take any number of mid to late to waiver backs that will do you just as well. I've said this many times before, but it's really hard to find replacement WRs, TEs and QBs, but it seems there's a different RB hitting the wire each week that can help you win.

WR is so deep it's silly to take them early.

I own the following WR.

Cruz (rd 4)

E. Decker (rd 7)

D. Moore (rd 9)

L. Moore (rd 12)

Idk why Mathews is ranked way too high every week ? Even in a big win for his team, he hardly does chit . They predicted him for 15 pts. in standard, over 20 in PPR this week and he gives you.... single digit points ? I had him last year and purposely stayed away from him this year in the draft.

Some jackbag in my dynasty league traded away Brees for Mathews (4 weeks ago). Straight up. :lol: :doublethumbsup: :overhead:

I went out and traded Austin for McGahee today.

Now Mathews can ride pine until he gets utilized properly.

You can't be serious. First off, top Wrs like aj and fitz have been busting while there are late round dudes blowing up. It's such a passing league that there are receivers all over the joint. As always, first round you want to take a stud. I grabbed Rodgers at 4 in the only league I had a op 4 pick because after the 3 studs, I didn't care for any rbs, and certainly not a receiver!

i actually watched the game.

matthews was ok besides that one big run but really nothing special, a little bit here and there. ronnie brown looked just as good if not better in his playing time.

maybe the coach knows better than you do this week in regards to this game. norv turner sucks, it seems you suck more.

I just LOVE how Internet wizzkids just KNOW the future!

Riddle me this wizz, does "ever" include last year? Or was last year not part of ever?

:unsure:

What did he do last year that was so great? He didnt do d!ck.

i actually watched the game.

matthews was ok besides that one big run but really nothing special, a little bit here and there. ronnie brown looked just as good if not better in his playing time.

maybe the coach knows better than you do this week in regards to this game. norv turner sucks, it seems you suck more.

You ACTUALLY watched a nationally televised game? Gee, I made this thread purely on speculation.

Sorry if you have some odd protectiveness regarding Norv Turner, but facts are facts: Mathews is averaging close to 5 yards per carry. I didn't base this thread on who I subjectively think "looks good". I based it on fact. And fact is, Turner is inexplicably failing to use his best back in many important situations.

What is Brown's YPC?

Shut up!

MedStudent, now known as MedColts :music_guitarred:

How many more weeks in a row will Mathews owners be shocked and outraged when he doesn't do jack?

:cry:

You ACTUALLY watched a nationally televised game? Gee, I made this thread purely on speculation.

Sorry if you have some odd protectiveness regarding Norv Turner, but facts are facts: Mathews is averaging close to 5 yards per carry. I didn't base this thread on who I subjectively think "looks good". I based it on fact. And fact is, Turner is inexplicably failing to use his best back in many important situations.

What is Brown's YPC?

these were the stats from Thursday:

Ryan Mathews 13 67 0

Ronnie Brown 6 38 0

Jackie Battle 4 20

ronnie was averaging 6 per touch and battle 5 per touch. Matthews had a 5 yard per touch but without

his one 31 yard run, he was at 3 YPC.

receptions: Brown 5 for 35. Matthews 2 for 5.

these were the stats from Thursday:

Ryan Mathews 13 67 0

Ronnie Brown 6 38 0

Jackie Battle 4 20

ronnie was averaging 6 per touch and battle 5 per touch. Matthews had a 5 yard per touch but without

his one 31 yard run, he was at 3 YPC.

receptions: Brown 5 for 35. Matthews 2 for 5.

This is sort of subjective in nature. Brown comes in on passing downs, 3rd and longer yardage situations, so it stands to reason he'd average 7 yds per catch in situations where they often need 7, or more, yards. And I hate the logic of "take away his one 31 yrd run"...that's why he should be in the freaking game, because he's CAPABLE of making those runs on a much more regular basis than Brown or Battle. I've got less issue with Battle being brought in for short yardage and goal line situations, but there isn't anything that Ronnie Brown brings to the table on 3rd down that Mathews likely can't do even better.

This is sort of subjective in nature. Brown comes in on passing downs, 3rd and longer yardage situations, so it stands to reason he'd average 7 yds per catch in situations where they often need 7, or more, yards. And I hate the logic of "take away his one 31 yrd run"...that's why he should be in the freaking game, because he's CAPABLE of making those runs on a much more regular basis than Brown or Battle. I've got less issue with Battle being brought in for short yardage and goal line situations, but there isn't anything that Ronnie Brown brings to the table on 3rd down that Mathews likely can't do even better.

I agree with this - as another embattled Mathews owner. Norv and AJ seem to be stuck on the 'sending Ryan a message' bit by holding him out of being the featured back. His injuries and fumble problems aren't helping, and SDs horrid offense isn't either. The sad fact is that even if he catches fire and does well the rest of the season there isn't much chance for him to live up to the #7 overall I took him at in our FF Zealots draft back in June. This year might prove to be a push, and depending on who is brought in to take this team over next year might be too.

Let's say AJ/Norv are out at the end of the year: Who comes in to bring glory SD?

what it shows is that in this game while mixing it up RB wise they succeeded. other games were probably different stories, but in this one against KC, based upon the stats the coaches made a fine call by playing all 3 RB. so anybody bitching about Norv , who is a mediocre coach, really can't do it for this game. he actually played it well in the running game. people are just pissed cause Matthews didn't produce for them, that's all.