Sign in to follow this  
Pecos Rattlers

Alex Smith Trade

Hopefully for KC's sake it was just a 3rd rounder but they probably forked over their 2nd rounder since this draft class is very suspect at the quarterback position.

This is the only thing KC can do to become competitive right away. Any other year Geno Smith would be a 3rd to 5th rounder project.

Alex Smith proved he can be a great leader and he has the talent. He is exactly the veteran they need and I think they can become competitive immediately in that division. Their defense was already good considering lack of offensive support. Their run game is fantastic. Keep Bowe and develop Baldwin.

KC's the obvious choice, but as has often been said "the only truth is that everybody lies".

Nothing makes a player look more attractive than the notion that he may be gone and you didn't give your best offer.

Why would you want him? Harbaugh made him decent -- before Jimmy - he sucked ass. Any team that would give a 3rd rounder for him needs to fire their GM................. excluding the Raiders that would be par for the course.

Sucks as I always liked the Raiders -- when Al's health faded so did the team -- of maybe all owners in NFL history Al Davis was one of the only ones that probably knew as much or more about the game than most coaches. Hate him if you want the Raiders were almost always relevant when Davis was in solid health.

SF has 11 and possible up to 14 draft picks this year, so I think any draft picks will be a 3rd rounder with a condition to get a 2nd rounder in 2014. Unless the 9'ers plan on moving up in the draft.

SF has 11 and possible up to 14 draft picks this year, so I think any draft picks will be a 3rd rounder with a condition to get a 2nd rounder in 2014. Unless the 9'ers plan on moving up in the draft.

I think that is the hope and the consensus around Niners fans.

It'd be funny if he went to the Packers as a backup to Aaron Rodgers. The media would have a field day.

Everybody lies at this time of year. Could be SF blowing smoke trying to get something in a trade rather than just release him. If the rumor is true, put me down as predicting it's KC.

Tim Kawakami on Twitter - Link

An NFL source says that the framework of the deal is that the 49ers will get a No. 2 pick this year and a similar pick in the 2014 draft.

:shocking: ............. :banana: (if true, of course)

Adam Schefter is reporting that the Chiefs will trade 2nd-round pick this year - the top pick in second round - as well as another conditional mid-round pick in 2014. Wow.

What a stupid trade. The Chiefs got totally hosed. They could have kept the picks and had a better QB in David Garrard or Jason Campbell for a bag of popcorn. THat's the 1st pick of the second round isn't it?

Adam Schefter is reporting that the Chiefs will trade 2nd-round pick this year - the top pick in second round - as well as another conditional mid-round pick in 2014. Wow.

As a 49er fan I am very happy if this is true.

The 49ers really need to move up in the 1st round and get the player(s) they want. They have the picks to do it.

San Fran won huge. Alex Smith won huge. KC, the jury will be out.

San Fran has a legit chance to have the biggest offseason of any team in memory. They would be foolish to keep all those picks so I would expect major wheeling and dealing.

Chiefs gave up too much. Was there really another team out there looking to give up more? My guess is the Chiefs were bidding against themselves.

San Fran won huge. Alex Smith won huge. KC, the jury will be out.

San Fran has a legit chance to have the biggest offseason of any team in memory. They would be foolish to keep all those picks so I would expect major wheeling and dealing.

I agree that SF & Alex Smith made out great in this trade since SF got the compensation they wanted out of their former 1st overall pick & Smith is essentially guaranteed the starting job in KC. If KC makes it to the playoffs in 2013, then the trade is a win for them.

Not to mention, it allows the Chiefs to either draft Luke Joeckel with their 1st pick or even trade down in the 1st & still get a potential stud on the offensive line in Eric Fisher & gain picks in the process.

Niners made out like bandits here.

Especially considering no other teams were seriously considering Alex Smith.

chiefs fans......you just got raped.

Yes.....and no. When you stink you have to overpay to get what you want. They hired Reid and then they had to make a splash for a QB. What they got is an extremely competent QB to put in the hands of a QB guru.

Yes.....and no. When you stink you have to overpay to get what you want. They hired Reid and then they had to make a splash for a QB. What they got is an extremely competent QB to put in the hands of a QB guru.

For a *****y franchise, draft picks are gold. Kind of silly wasting the first pick of the 2nd round on a game manager stop-gap. They could have gotten a comparable QB for next to nothing and used their picks to fill other needs.

For a *****y franchise, draft picks are gold. Kind of silly wasting the first pick of the 2nd round on a game manager stop-gap. They could have gotten a comparable QB for next to nothing and used their picks to fill other needs.

Proven players are always more valuable than picks to bad teams, especially ones who are entering their prime. The NFL is no longer a 5 year rebuilding league. It is now a 2 year league and the Chiefs are working on that timeline. We will disagree on Smith being a game manager, he has nearly a 100 QB rating over his last 16 starts with 20 TDs and 3300 yds. Kaepernicks passing stats were similar. No one can dispute Reid's sterling history of coaching QBs, and he has had no one with Smith's accuracy. I can think of no available QB who is "comparable".

Proven players are always more valuable than picks to bad teams, especially ones who are entering their prime. The NFL is no longer a 5 year rebuilding league. It is now a 2 year league and the Chiefs are working on that timeline. We will disagree on Smith being a game manager, he has nearly a 100 QB rating over his last 16 starts with 20 TDs and 3300 yds. Kaepernicks passing stats were similar. No one can dispute Reid's sterling history of coaching QBs, and he has had no one with Smith's accuracy. I can think of no available QB who is "comparable".

Well said, I wouldn't love the trade as a KC fan but, I think Smith will do better than expected under Reid.

Good article.

I certainly had written off KC's chances for next year before this trade. I wouldn't be betting on them making the playoffs after it, but I might not want to bet against it either.

As the article says, it gives them a chance. What better QB were they going to acquire? They can still draft OL top of the draft too.

As the article says, it gives them a chance. What better QB were they going to acquire? They can still draft OL top of the draft too.

I agree with this. Others have said there were more choices available but I think Smith is the right fit for Reid and KC for the next couple years. I see a team that needs to improve defensively but still has a chance at .500 next year.

Good article.

I certainly had written off KC's chances for next year before this trade. I wouldn't be betting on them making the playoffs after it, but I might not want to bet against it either.

I don't know if they could've acquired anyone better THIS year. So what I would have done is tried to build the rest of my team up and then get in the QB hunt next year.

They could've taken a stud OL with the #1 overall and then landed a very good defensive player with #34 overall. Build around those guys and Jamaal Charles. Then get your QB next year.

Alex Smith is OK but he is a stopgap. You don't give up the 34th overall pick for a stopgap.

I don't necessarily think it was a bad idea to trade for him. I just think they paid way too much to get him considering the holes already on the team. Pick 33 or 34 or whatever is a really valuable pick.

I don't necessarily think it was a bad idea to trade for him. I just think they paid way too much to get him considering the holes already on the team. Pick 33 or 34 or whatever is a really valuable pick.

This. That #34 pick is gonna be valuable in this year's draft because a really good player is gonna fall into the early 2nd round or it'll be used to trade up higher into the 1st round for the 49er's.

Early 2nd round picks hold a lot of leverage in recent drafts since the 1st & 2nd rounds were split between Thursdays & Fridays. A lot of deals get shopped around between those two rounds.

I don't know if they could've acquired anyone better THIS year. So what I would have done is tried to build the rest of my team up and then get in the QB hunt next year.

They could've taken a stud OL with the #1 overall and then landed a very good defensive player with #34 overall. Build around those guys and Jamaal Charles. Then get your QB next year.

Alex Smith is OK but he is a stopgap. You don't give up the 34th overall pick for a stopgap.

Welcome to the world of Andy Reid's personnel management.

NFL rebuilding starts with QB, so a failure to land one this year means you really have not done anything. Smith was the best available. QBs of his age and caliber NEVER move, so we really do not know his worth, but a 2nd round pick could certainly be justified.

Smith took the team to within a play of the SB last year, and was headed that way this year. I really think most are judging the guy from 3 years ago.

Smith took the team to within a play of the SB last year, and was headed that way this year. I really think most are judging the guy from 3 years ago.

I agree. Word is the Browns were after Smith too, so KC needed to pay what they did. Smith gives Andy a chance to put pieces in place until such a time as the QB he really wants becomes available.

I'm far more interested if this move makes is more or less likely Bowe returns and what he might do with Smith under center and Reid calling the plays.

Also I'd expect SF to approach NYJ with all those draft picks and see if Revis can be had.

OK, so if they don't get Smith and go with scrub at QB this year and go 6-10 by just winning some more games because they have an offensive minded coach and their defense was already good......and they end up with the 10th pick next year and they still miss out on a QB? Then what?

Why is he only a stopgap? Why isn't he a good starting QB? Kappy is a freak of nature and was drafted BY Harbaugh, he only needed opportunity to get him in as starter. You can't rate a QB by what he did 3 or 4 years ago, you can only go on most recent play.

What has Alex Smith not done in last 2 years to not be worth the 34th pick in the draft? How many starting QBs in the NFL this year are better than him? I would rate Smith probably at about right in the middle of the pack of starting QBs which isn't too bad (right in there with the Schaub, Rivers, Cutler crowd).

Alex Smith

J. Charles

D. Bowe

McCluster

Baldwin (assuming Reid can do something with him to reach his potential)

Mardy Gilyard

solid offensive line that may get a stud #1 addition

I like that crew

I don't believe Alex Smith is a stop-gap QB. I personally believe that KC will improve to 8-8 next year with this move. This predictions hinges on the OL, however. Shore it up and their good to go.

Well it's obvious we have two camps here:

1. People who think that Alex Smith benefitted from being on a greatly improved team

2. People who think that Alex Smith himself greatly improved

I guess we'll find out who is right soon enough. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, but I believe he will more closely resemble the old Alex Smith in KC.