Sign in to follow this  
Cara

Are you happy with the moves your team made?

The Rams nabbed Jared Cook Jr., which should be a boon for the offense. Signing Jake Long to a 4 year deal gives us our best Tackle since Pace moved on. Switching Saffold back to the Right and with Wells fully healthy at Center, we should be much improved next year. With two first round picks, we can address our Safety need as well as take another WR or Guard. If Cooper falls to us, we'll take him. Re-signing our DE was a plus as we have a great three man rotation. We're also solid at the DT spot. With 3 solid Corners, we're doing better than many teams in that category.

Still, with Seattle and the 49'ers making very impressive offseason moves, we have not done enough. We didn't restructure a lot of contracts though, so we are fine going forward and there will be no Piper to pay down the line.

Did anyone else notice how Atlanta is structuring their contracts? Gonzo is a two year deal that can end after this one with no cap penalty. Jackson's is for 3 years, but almost all the guaranteed money is in year one. Roddy White will be gone in two years. Baker's contract is front loaded and I believe Asante Samuel has two years left. If they don't win in the next two years, their window, they will be able to re-load fairly fast. Smart moves on their end.

The Rams nabbed Jared Cook Jr., which should be a boon for the offense. Signing Jake Long to a 4 year deal gives us our best Tackle since Pace moved on. Switching Saffold back to the Right and with Wells fully healthy at Center, we should be much improved next year. With two first round picks, we can address our Safety need as well as take another WR or Guard. If Cooper falls to us, we'll take him. Re-signing our DE was a plus as we have a great three man rotation. We're also solid at the DT spot. With 3 solid Corners, we're doing better than many teams in that category.

Still, with Seattle and the 49'ers making very impressive offseason moves, we have not done enough. We didn't restructure a lot of contracts though, so we are fine going forward and there will be no Piper to pay down the line.

Did anyone else notice how Atlanta is structuring their contracts? Gonzo is a two year deal that can end after this one with no cap penalty. Jackson's is for 3 years, but almost all the guaranteed money is in year one. Roddy White will be gone in two years. Baker's contract is front loaded and I believe Asante Samuel has two years left. If they don't win in the next two years, their window, they will be able to re-load fairly fast. Smart moves on their end.

What about letting Jackson go and relying on the youngsters Pead and Richardson?

Eagles Signed:

B. Fletcher + C. Williams (CB)

K. Phillips + P. Chung (S)

C. Barwin + J. Phillips (LB)

J. Casey (FB/TE)

Traded For:

A. Benn (WR)

Overall, I like the moves the Eagles made since they had so many holes it makes sense to fill as many as possible with good (not great) talent. The corners are both physical and like to hit people, which is nice (especially considering what they just had for the past few years). Chung and Phillips have something to prove, but they are bttter than what the Eagles had. IF Kenny Phillips can stay healthy that would be HUGE. I really like the Casey signing as he seems to fit what C. Kelly likes to do on offense. A. Benn hasn't done much, but they needed another big WR and he came pretty cheap...why not.

I'm not going to miss anyone they let go.

I never really understood why Jackson would give up 7m this year to sign a 12m, 3 year contract.

I'd guess he wants a Superbowl ring when he retires. Atlanta has a better chance of making that happen.

Lets see, the Packers Cut Woodon and restructured AJ.Hawk. They resigned a couple players (Center, special teams) and let a few walk - nothing major.

They continued their time honored tradition of bidding up free agents without actually making offers that would get serious consideration (Canty, Sean Smith, Jackson).

Vikings overpay Packers veterans... same old, same old. Just waiting for them to sign Woodson now :)

Highlight so far has been watching Erik Walden get a $16m contract with Indy... and thinking WTF, did they not watch the playoffs? Then smiling because the Packers will probably get a comp pick now for someone I was glad to see hit the road.

I don't figure the Packers would cut or trade Finley - they'll overpay him a bit this year, then get a comp pick when gets overpaid next year. Of course, they'll try to draft his replacement this year.

I could see them bringing in some RB talent and a kicker, maybe some OL/DL depth.

I imagine we will see Rodgers get an extension later in the off season, and maybe even Mathews.

I never really understood why Jackson would give up 7m this year to sign a 12m, 3 year contract.

I'd guess he wants a Superbowl ring when he retires. Atlanta has a better chance of making that happen.

This and they really could have just released him, right? I don't think he would have made 7m either way.

The Eagles signed 7 players for roughly the $$$ they would've paid Nnamdi for one more yer of loafing and bad coverage. I'm not sure they signed a serious difference maker but they added a lot of low risk, low commitment and young players for very little guaranteed cash. Cullen Jenkins was fine here but didn't fit the system. The entire secondary was so awful I think there was only one direction to move in. I have a feeling Chung and Philips aren't te answer at safety but I know Allen and Colt Anderson weren't.

I'd have liked a signing on the OL, especially someone like Vollmer at RT. But overall I call it a solid B, mostly just for shedding some overpaid, lazy players. The draft will really determine how they've done this offseason.

Highlight so far has been watching Erik Walden get a $16m contract with Indy... and thinking WTF, did they not watch the playoffs? Then smiling because the Packers will probably get a comp pick now for someone I was glad to see hit the road.

Still mad at that focker for continually crashing down on the inside and letter Kaeoperianick run for 50 yards at a time...

Walden had one good game 3 years ago against a crapass CHI o-line and he's been re-living that game like Al Bundy :lol:

I do like most of the moves the Jets have made.

1. cutting all that dead weight - Scott, Pace, Jason Smith, Eric Smith - but let's be honest, any moron could have done that.

2. restructuring contracts of Cromartie and Holmes :thumbsup: I have no interest in having Holmes on the team. I like Cro

The Revis debacle is a nightmare. I am in favor of trading him because he is selfish and right now, I don't see a way we keep him long term but they have to get a decent package in return. a 1 and a 3. Or maybe something like a 2 and 3 where the 2 becomes a 1 based on playing time.

I was hoping the Jets would lay low in free agency and wait to snatch up some of the solid players still out there who won't command as much $ now. Bradshaw... safeties like Dawan Landry, Bernard Pollard, Jairus Byrd... maybe we could take a look at Kellen Davis or one of the Ravens restricted tight ends. Eric Winston at RT, a few other decent RT options that would be far better than the Jets have had the past 2 years. Shaun Phillips at Lb? I'm not saying sign all these guys but a few would be nice and likely would not break the bank.

Instead we sign Mike Goodson, Willie Colon, Antwan Barnes and Antonio Garay and rumored to be looking at DHB.... I'm down with the Williw Colon signing. We need a guard. Mike Goodson has had promise i suppose.

I would like to see the Jets go after a few of the free agent names I listed above, resign Braylon Edwards and draft one of the top 2 guards in round 1. Yeah, i said a guard. Pick 9 is way too early but this draft class is weak at the top and I want to see the Jets get back to the dominant offensive line they had in 09-10. Give Mike Goodson a chance back there. Sign Kolb and let him have an honest competition with Sanchez.

Hope Skin bring Hall back

Wasn't happy losing Lo Alexander (LB)

Restructures of Carriker/Moss/Merriweather is ehh. Merriiweather hopefully plays this year

Giving up first rounder for RG3 - yup

Hoping we land honeybadger is 2nd

Bears

Signing Bushrod was a good start. Bennett made me happy too. Gotta draft O Line in the first. Need DB/LB too. Should resign Urlacher - especially since Roach left (kinda glad he did). New coach/scheme and Emery's 2nd draft yet to come. We'll see...

Too early to tell. What still needs to happen during free agency or the draft...

- Extend Geno Atkins

- Sign Michael Johnson long term

- Sign Andre Smith without breaking the bank..tho I personally think he's overrated.

- Get a RB, Safety and LB in the draft.

DAL:

-displeased with the spencer franchise tag. the only way i can make sense of it is if the team is planning to reduce ware's snaps.

-didn't like the sensabaugh cut. it only saved $1.4M, cleaned out the last real experience at the position, and created a glaring draft need.

-liked the sims signing. low-risk move for a solid guy.

will be much happier when romo gets extended and free is playing for another team.

So far, I'm very happy with the Titans offseason...

Re-Signed:

- C Fernando Velasco (RFA)

- KR/PR Darius Reynaud

- K Rob Bironas

- FB Quinn Johnson

- DE Keyunta Dawson

Comments: We apparently placed a 2nd-Round tender on Velasco, which is a very good move for us. Velasco was perhaps our best and most consistent OL last season, as he finally got a chance to be a starter after serving as a primary backup for several seasons. I read somewhere that he didn't surrender a single sack all season, so I'm glad that we retained him. Bironas's production declined last season, and he's getting older. However, he's been relatively clutch for us during his career; and because we had so many other needs this offseason, I'm glad that we didn't add another one at the K position. Reynaud is a RB/WR hybrid; but his biggest value comes on ST as our primary KR/PR. He made some real bone-headed plays at times last season, but he also made some really phenomenal plays at other times. Overall, with a bit more consistency, he's a good re-signing. Johnson and Dawson are just filling spots at this point and could potentially be replaced before the season starts.

NOT Re-Signed:

- DT Sen'Derrick Marks

- OG Leroy Harris

- OLB/MLB Will Witherspoon

- RB Javon Ringer

- CB Ryan Mouton

- OLB/MLB Zac Diles

- DE Jarius Wynn

- DE Dave Ball

- OG Deuce Lutui

- OLB Gerald McRath

- DE Leger Douzable

- OG Kyle DeVan

- OLB Xavier Adibi

Comments: Marks had his best season thus far in his career last year, but even then he was only very slightly above-average (at best), which I think can be seen in the fact that very few teams have expressed any interest in him thus far this offseason. Harris, McRath, and Mouton were all guys with some potential early on in their careers; however, McRath never bounced back from his PED suspension, and Harris and Mouton both digressed each season to the point that they were extreme liabilities when on the field. Witherspoon, Ball, and Ringer were all contributors at different times during their tenure with this team; however, Witherspoon got old, Ball got too many concussions, and Ringer suffered a fairly nasty leg injury. I wouldn't be shocked if each of their respective careers were over at this point. Douzable, DeVan, and Adibi didn't do anything last season. Lutui, Diles, and Wynn each played OK in limited action; and I could see them being brought back as depth guys, depending upon training camp and injuries and whatnot.

Released:

- OG Steve Hutchinson (retired)

- TE Jared Cook

- QB Matt Hasselbeck

- SS Jordan Babineaux

- OG Kevin Matthews

- OG Mitch Petrus

- LB Kevin Malast

Comments: We all know that Hutchinson and Hasselbeck have had very good careers; however, it was clear last season that both are finished. For Hutch, the injuries just kept piling up and, even when he played, he wasn't nearly as effective as he'd been in his younger years. Hasslebeck was the consummate pro for us and a real team-player in his mentorship of Jake Locker. But when called upon to fill-in last season, it was clear that Hasselbeck's arm is gone, as he had trouble making even routine throws. Babineaux was another guy who was a good team player, but his performance on the field was horrible last season. He also looked old and finished. Petrus and Malast are deep reserve guys and emergency injury signings at best. The most controversial release is Jared Cook. However, it's been clear for a couple seasons now that Cook wasn't going to be a long-term fixture with the Titans; he even requested a trade at one point last season. Everyone talks about Cook's talent as a pass-catcher, and that's undeniable. However, he's a TERRIBLE blocker, his route-running is extremely limited, and his hands are inconsistent as well. Overall, he just doesn't seem like a "football player" so much as an "athlete." (Our only option was to franchise him, but he would've gotten the $10 million/year WR price because he lined-up at WR more than TE last season because his blocking was so suspect.) Overall, I think the Titans absolutely made the right move in letting Cook walk, and if I were a Rams fan, I'd temper my expectations of him a little bit as he's been the model of inconsistency thus far in his career.

Signed:

- OG Andy Levitre

- SS George Wilson

- RB Shonn Greene

- TE Delanie Walker

- QB Ryan Fitzpatrick

- OLB/MLB Moise Foku

Comments: Perhaps the Titans' biggest liability over the past 2-3 seasons has been the truly terrible play of their interior OL. We had hoped that Hutchinson would help fix that last season; but it became pretty evident early on (even before his injury) that he was a shell of the formerly dominant OL that he'd been for much of his career. While we probably overpaid slightly for Levitre, I can't blame the front-office for targeting the best interior OL on the market and doing whatever was necessary to secure his services. Levitre is a great pass-blocker and a decent run-blocker, who should help solidify one side of the OL between Velasco and Roos. Aside from interior OL, our Safety play was equally atrocious last year; so I'm glad to see that the team cut the ineffective Babineaux and signed Wilson to a very reasonable contract. Of course, Wilson's not the long-term answer at SS, but he should be a solid contributor for 1-2 seasons, while the team attempts to find and develop a younger SS. Shonn Greene finally gives us a decent power RB to pair with Chris Johnson -- something that we haven't had since LenDale White. (Greene's not a great player; however, he should benefit from being "Option B" in the running game.) Fitzpatrick is a younger, cheaper, and more productive (at this point in his career) version of Hasselbeck, who we cut ties with. Foku is another young guy with versatility, who will likely replace Witherspoon as the primary backup at both OLB and MLB -- which is something that we need, given Colin McCarthy's never-ending injury concerns. The biggest ??? here is Delanie Walker, who is an interesting player because of his versatility. Last season, the 49ers lined him up at TE, WR, and FB at various points. He's an excellent blocker, an excellent ST player, and a decent route-runner. His hands are apparently very inconsistent; but so were the hands of the guy he's replacing (i.e. Jared Cook). To me, Walker fits this offense much better than Cook because of his blocking skills and because the Titans already have some other offensive weapons in place on the outside (e.g. Britt, Wright, Washington) and in the backfield (e.g. CJ & Greene). I think it's likely that Walker and Craig Stevens time-share the starting TE role, as youngster Taylor Thompson (who is already a FANTASTIC blocker) continues to hone his route-running and receiving skills.

:dunno:

I'm not sure they signed a serious difference maker but they added a lot of low risk, low commitment and young players for very little guaranteed cash.

I'd have liked a signing on the OL, especially someone like Vollmer at RT. But overall I call it a solid B, mostly just for shedding some overpaid, lazy players. The draft will really determine how they've done this offseason.

:thumbsup:

Colts

I am fairly pleased with most of what the Colts have done. We might have over paid for a few guys, but I would rather make that call more after I have seen them play. Who knows, maybe we didn't. At first, we were linked to a lot of big names and where I felt we could have maybe gotten a few, we would have only addressed a few needs in FA. Where I hope they didn't make the mistake, we instead addressed almost every need we had, which allows for our draft, which only now has 6 picks in it, one being Mr Irrelevant again, to do a best player available.

FA Keepers

Pat Mcafee P - This was huge. We FT him, but I want him to sign a long term deal. Most Colt fans enjoy him and he is a top 10 punter in the league currently and can fill in as a kicker if needed.

Darius Butler CB - I think this was a nice guy to bring back. He showed that he can be a decent CB and currently is slated to be our nickel CB, which might fit nicely for him.

Cassuis Vaughn CB - A lot of fans are questioning this move of keeping him. He will be our 4th CB, but I felt we could have grabbed a better CB for the same price from FA. Most wanted him gone.

Fili Moala DL - I think this year he needs to stay healthy. He is a nice change of pace, but not a starter. He fills a need of depth.

We have tendered a few more players, most are ok if they leave in my opinion, but they haven't signed yet.

FA Additions

Gosder Cherilus RT - Who? Yeah, that is what a lot of Colt fans were saying, but he quietly had a great season last year for Detroit as a RT. He clearly is an upgrade to our OL, so most fans are happy with that.

Greg Toler CB - We already have Vontea Davis as our starting CB. Davis found his ability again late in the season and if he can hit the door running again this season, we finally have a good number 1 CB. Toler comes in with the ability to be a number 1 also, but when you view him as your number 2, the skies the limit. If Davis and him both play at the level they can and not take many injuries, we upgraded our CB's rather well.

Erik Walden OLB - This was one of the more questionable signings, that personally I am going to wait and see. Some say he can't rush the passer, but I have seen some film that says he can. He hasn't been given a chance to start, so maybe we can do that. I do think though, as they have already said, they are moving Mathis to Freeney's spot and putting Walden in for Mathis. Walden is better against the run and a decent cover LB. I think they will use Mathis and Hughes as the rushers more, as that fits their special talents more.

Lawrence Sidbury OLB - I like this signing due to his contact and his upside. I see him on the same side as Walden and if he can produce better than what he did with the Falcons, we got him cheap.

Donald Thomas OG/OL - Once again, we were able to grab a second lineman. Luck got hit way to much last year and took 41 sacks. Thomas might have been a reserve in NE, but NE has one of the top of the lines and he filled in nicely for multiple games, playing at their level. He was clearly an upgrade by almost double in my opinion from any OG we have.

LaRon Landry S - The overhaul of our secondary finished with a hugh signing of Landry. This guy hits and he hits hard. Some people see him as a nice Bob Sanders for the Colts. Our secondary now has Landry/Bethea, with Davis, Toler and Butler as our starters.....Yeah, you know you like it too! :) Great signing and it gives a huge boost to our secondary.

Ricky Jean-Francois DL - What a big dude!!!! I like what I have seen from him and he was playing on a defense, where he could have been a starter, they just had other guys already there. If Chapman can come in and be our NT this season, this guy will be paired with Redding on the line and I really feel our DL is upgraded a lot. We have a true 3-4 NT and DE, that goes well with Redding. Our little lines are gone and hopefully stay that way!

Matt Hasselbeck QB - I started the call for his signing yesterday, when he was released. There are still mixed reports if he signed, but if he did. Luck gets a good backup and a mentor for his second year in the pro's.

Jeff Saturday C - YES, just a one day signing, but this meant a lot to Colt fans. He needed to retire a Colt, will make the Ring of Honor for sure and hopefully, Irsay gets him in as a coach or front office position.

We lost Freeney and Collie, but I personally expected to be gone. Some people are upset/sad about these guys, but Collie might be done and Freeney clearly is a better DE in a 4-3, not a OLB in a 3-4. I think he is happier to be able to play 4-3 again for someone and I am sure a contender will grab him soon.

There are still rumors of some WR that the Colts are trying to get. With the time frame so far out now, I am still stunned it has been quiet as to who it is. We know who it isn't, from what we have been told. So anything can still go, but if we did grab a WR, every hole the Colts had, were at least addressed, the question is...Can those players live up to our needs and will our draft add depth or replacements for players if they don't.

Colts

I am fairly pleased with most of what the Colts have done. We might have over paid for a few guys, but I would rather make that call more after I have seen them play. Who knows, maybe we didn't. At first, we were linked to a lot of big names and where I felt we could have maybe gotten a few, we would have only addressed a few needs in FA. Where I hope they didn't make the mistake, we instead addressed almost every need we had, which allows for our draft, which only now has 6 picks in it, one being Mr Irrelevant again, to do a best player available.

FA Additions

Matt Hasselbeck QB - I started the call for his signing yesterday, when he was released. There are still mixed reports if he signed, but if he did. Luck gets a good backup and a mentor for his second year in the pro's.

As I mentioned in my post above, I wouldn't get overly excited about the Hasselbeck signing. Yes...he'll be a good citizen in the Indy community, and he's a good teammate as he's shown in his willingness to mentor younger QBs. But, if he actually has to play in any games, the Colts offense is in serious trouble. Last year, Hasselbeck looked like he completely dropped off the cliff. His arm strength -- which was never very good -- is totally non-existant now. He's Captain Checkdown at this point and looked incapable last year of sustaining any drives on offense, which is a little sad because he's had a good career and he seems like a decent dude. But I guess that sharp drop-off in play is likely to happen when you're 38-years-old in the NFL.

Still...as much as I hate to say it as a Titans fan, I like the other moves that the Colts front-office have made. In particular, I think the additions of OT Gosder Cherilus and DT Ricky Jean-Francois are really smart moves, as both should be immediate contributors on the field. And even though Laron Landry isn't great in coverage and might be an injury waiting to happen, if he can stay healthy then that's another good signing. And CB Greg Toler has some talent too.

The Colts front-office is one of the better in the biz -- which, again, I hate to say as a Titans fan, but it's unfortunately true.

:wall:

Denver Broncos (hey, I'm a Peyton Manning fan until he retires, then a Colts/Broncos fan!)

Let me preface this by starting with my off-season Wish List. The team was about $18M under the cap, but that dropped to about $10M once they tagged Clady. I believe they created another ~$4 million by cutting a few players. I wanted a more dynamic slot-WR. I wanted CB & MLB depth. I wanted some DT signings (all of our rotation players from last year were FA's anyways), and some interior OL depth. Easier said than done with just ~$14 million in cap space (not accounting for $4M for the rookie class)

Free Agent Signings:

Wes Welker - One of the biggest acquisitions of the offseason. Denver now has, arguably, the best WR corp in the league. Last year, this offense was only slowed when teams took away the outside of the field (Decker/Thomas) and singled-up on Stokely/Tamme/Dreesen. As reliable as Stokley & the TE's were last year, they simply didn't create a lot of separation. Welker absolutely destroys 1-on-1 coverage in the middle of the field and will force defense to pick their poison (which Peyton attacks better than anyone).

Louis Vasquez - The 2nd best available Guard, I was shocked when Denver signed him to an affordable contract ($23.5M over 4 years). This immediately bolsters the one weakness on the Broncos offense, and should pay major dividends in 2013 - both in short yardage situations and pass protection. Chris Kuper is likely gone, but Vasquez is a major upgrade.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - He hasn't graded out well in the past 2 years, but what defender in Philadelphia has? He excels as a physical CB in press coverage - exactly what he'll be asked to do opposite Champ Bailey. With Bailey, DRC, Chris Harris (who graded out as a top10 CB last year) and Tony Carter, the Broncos have assembled one of the best groups of CB's in the league.

Terrance Knighton - A big bodied DT that Jack Del Rio is plenty familiar with. JDR seems to get the most out of his DT's, and last year was the perfect example. Kevin Vickerson, Mitch Unrein, and Justin Bannan were the DT's in 2012, yet they were stout against the run. Knighton is more talented than all of them.

Kevin Vickerson - Speaking of Big Vick, I was happy to see him re-sign after taking a pay-cut in 2012 and having a great year. He and Knighton should provide JDR the 700 lbs needed on a defense that is predicated on stopping the run with the front-7.

Stewart Bradley - MLB depth. If he can come in and duplicate the little production we got out of Brooking last year, this will be a valuable signing. MLB is not as important in this defense, but it still is the biggest weakness in my opinion.

Best of all - all of these Free Agents came fairly cheap and on team-friendly deals.

Losing (potentially) Dumervil would be a shame, especially considering how the situation played out. But Robert Ayers played well in limited snaps and DT/DE Derek Wolfe really impressed as a rookie last year (6.5 sacks as a run-stuffing DE, mostly). Losing him wouldn't be a disaster, especially since the team would likely bring in Freeney or Abraham.

This team is looking like they will lose 1 starter (Dumervil), while significantly upgrading 4 major areas - slot WR, OG, CB, and DT.

A+ offseason rivaled only by the Seahawks (in my opinion).

As I mentioned in my post above, I wouldn't get overly excited about the Hasselbeck signing. Yes...he'll be a good citizen in the Indy community, and he's a good teammate as he's shown in his willingness to mentor younger QBs. But, if he actually has to play in any games, the Colts offense is in serious trouble. Last year, Hasselbeck looked like he completely dropped off the cliff. His arm strength -- which was never very good -- is totally non-existant now. He's Captain Checkdown at this point and looked incapable last year of sustaining any drives on offense, which is a little sad because he's had a good career and he seems like a decent dude. But I guess that sharp drop-off in play is likely to happen when you're 38-years-old in the NFL.

Still...as much as I hate to say it as a Titans fan, I like the other moves that the Colts front-office have made. In particular, I think the additions of OT Gosder Cherilus and DT Ricky Jean-Francois are really smart moves, as both should be immediate contributors on the field. And even though Laron Landry isn't great in coverage and might be an injury waiting to happen, if he can stay healthy then that's another good signing. And CB Greg Toler has some talent too.

The Colts front-office is one of the better in the biz -- which, again, I hate to say as a Titans fan, but it's unfortunately true.

:wall:

I like the Hasselbeck signing more of what he can teach Luck and help him during the sidelines. I agree, he might not do well starting, if we need him, but he has to be better than Painter!!! haha He also gives us some insight against the Titans, which should help us this year I am sure. Tell Luck some weaknesses he knows about the defense.

We just added another DL Aubrayo Franklin! BIG DUDE!!! Wow, we have beefed up! As you know, we face CJ, Foster and MDJ twice a year!!!!

Erik Walden OLB - This was one of the more questionable signings, that personally I am going to wait and see. Some say he can't rush the passer, but I have seen some film that says he can. He hasn't been given a chance to start, so maybe we can do that. I do think though, as they have already said, they are moving Mathis to Freeney's spot and putting Walden in for Mathis. Walden is better against the run and a decent cover LB. I think they will use Mathis and Hughes as the rushers more, as that fits their special talents more.

He started quite a number of games actually. He wasn't very good in 2011, so they drafted his replacement for 2012, but then the rookie got hurt so Walden was back to starting again. He is serviceable as a rotational player, but he is slow and not very disciplined. He isn't worth the contract he got, and if you happen to play against an option QB - my advice is to just keep him on the bench ;)

What about letting Jackson go and relying on the youngsters Pead and Richardson?

I love Jackson in Atlanta. The truth though, is this; He does not have the explosion to run behind a very weak offensive line anymore. We would not have signed Jake Long with Steve Jax still in town. Not enough cap room for both. Pead missed nearly the entire offseason program as he was still in school. He had the fastest ten yard time of any RB drafted last year. I have to think our HC looked at that with the thought of burst being important when running behind below average Guards. Richardson should have received more carries at the end of the season, but he wore out. Not a big deal. I think we will see them both in 2013, but one will emerge as the clear starter at some point. The HC and GM are going to give Pead the opportunity to win the job, but Richardson has excellent vision. I don't think the loss of Steven will hurt the Rams at all, except on third and long. He is the best pass blocking RB in football, in my opinion.

Lions

So far, I see a grade of Incomplete. The team still needs a CB, a deep position among the free agents available. WR depth needs to improve as well. They've added a couple of nice pieces, but have many needs to fill, more than this draft could possibly handle.

DE

CB

OT

These three areas are all marked 'Urgent' imo.

WR

LB

OG

These areas need more depth, either through the draft or free agency.

Relax. Our off season just starts later than the rest of the league's. :thumbsup:

17 years since a SB appearance - relaxing is no longer an option. Considering what little cap money we do have and the fact that Clown face is still calling the shots - this offseason is going to end up sucking balls just like all the rest.

17 years since a SB appearance - relaxing is no longer an option. Considering what little cap money we do have and the fact that Clown face is still calling the shots - this offseason is going to end up sucking balls just like all the rest.

Until Romo signs an extension, I'm not sure you could hire another hot dog vendor to work in Jerry's World with what lil cap space you have. Why haven't the Cowboys gotten his deal done so they could sign a few free agents?

Until Romo signs an extension, I'm not sure you could hire another hot dog vendor to work in Jerry's World with what lil cap space you have. Why haven't the Cowboys gotten his deal done so they could sign a few free agents?

because they spent a lot last season, and you can't consistently spend in free agency. the carr signing was a big deal, but they tried to fix the interior line by signing livings and bernadeaux, and it didn't work out. connor was brought in to compete with carter, but carter (the value draft pick) won out. and now they're left with the cap repercussions of this move.

the way i see it, tagging spencer was their free agency move. they could either tag spencer or play the FA game. so they hung onto possibly the best guy at the position, given the situation (most of the FA DEs wouldn't have signed a 1-year deal). this gives them more flexibility than bringing in a guy on a multi-year deal.

maybe it's bad for me to get my hopes up, but it seems like jerry is finally figuring things out, and trying to build through solid drafting rather than chasing star players. the quiet offseason makes sense in that light--instead of trying to bring in a big name G through free agency, they're looking to develop a draft pick at a much more cap-friendly figure.

i dunno--we'll see how it shakes out on draft day.

No love for Baltimore?

They looked decimated to start FA, and since them they have solidified the front 7 and added a decent, younger safety. I remain impressed with Newsome the man understands how to put a roster together. Their defense is looking pretty good with Dumerville/Suggs as opposing pass rush threats and Canty solidifying their frontline they have a pretty decent front seven. The Huff signing arguably is a wash with Reed, you lose his ball hawk return skills but Huff is probably a more sound all around player at this point.

I think they need some more inside linebacker depth but thats pretty damn good considering how bad their defense looked on paper 2 weeks ago.

maybe it's bad for me to get my hopes up, but it seems like jerry is finally figuring things out, and trying to build through solid drafting rather than chasing star players. the quiet offseason makes sense in that light--instead of trying to bring in a big name G through free agency, they're looking to develop a draft pick at a much more cap-friendly figure.

I don't beleive Clown face has figured out anything. The quiet offseason has little to do with the light going off in his head and all to do with simply not having the cap space to do it. I was impressed with him taking Tyron Smith with a 1st round pick - that was very uncharacteristic of him. But looking down the sheet the roster is full of inflated, terrible, cap killing contracts. Miles Austin - 7 years $54 mil, O. Scandrick - 5 years $27 mil, J. Ratliff - 5 years $40 mil, Doug Free - 4 years $32 mil, etc... You get in bed with crap like this and then you are forced to sign the Livings and Bernadeaux dogs of the world - it's also how you go 8-8, or worse, year in and year out. I have my fingers crossed that the light finally does go off and that Clown face tries and rebuild this team thru the lines up front. Time will tell I guess.

But looking down the sheet the roster is full of inflated, terrible, cap killing contracts. Miles Austin - 7 years $54 mil, O. Scandrick - 5 years $27 mil, J. Ratliff - 5 years $40 mil, Doug Free - 4 years $32 mil, etc...

all wade phillips-era contracts. look at the changes since garrett came in: 1 big FA contract, and IIRC, no huge re-signings. look at the productivity of the draft: smith--best OL prospect in the draft. claiborne: best CB prospect in the draft. lee--1st round talent that fell. carter--1st round talent that fell. murray--3rd round steal, gambling that he can stay healthy. that's 5 high-impact starters in just 2 drafts, which is much better than either the phillips or the parcells-era drafts. plus costa--a late-round starter. add in the street free agents like church (another starter), harris, and mccray. finally, guys like albright, johnson (S), and hanna will all be seriously in the mix this season.

my point is that the personnel picture is significantly different over the last 2 years. JJ at his worst is responsible for the galloway fiasco, the williams fiasco, and the 'lost 1st round' of jenkins and felix. but things just feel different now. we're not hearing about 'missing pieces' the way we used to--things seem to be more focused on solid team-building rather than puzzle pieces. that's what is getting my hopes up.

but as you say, time will tell.

all wade phillips-era contracts. look at the changes since garrett came in:

Free's big ridiculous contract, signed under Garrett. Ratliff's huge extension, signed under Garrett. Scandrick extended and signed under Garrett. Livings & Bernadeaux both mutt signings under Garrett.... Yes Clown face has drafted better of late - but the damage he's done beforehand is still a huge part of this team. I hear, and see, we still have huge gaping holes. We need 2 starting guards, a center, right tackle, 2 defensive tackles, and a safety for starters. I think we have some good pieces -but we need more, and I have zero faith he can continue to draft properly for it. Many argued then, and still today - Claiborne was a luxury we could not afford. The extra picks and players for the lines would of been way more helpful.
my point is that the personnel picture is significantly different over the last 2 years. JJ at his worst is responsible for the galloway fiasco, the williams fiasco, and the 'lost 1st round' of jenkins and felix. but things just feel different now. we're not hearing about 'missing pieces' the way we used to--things seem to be more focused on solid team-building rather than puzzle pieces. that's what is getting my hopes up.

but as you say, time will tell.

Clown face is responsible for tons more than the few things you list. To me not only does it still feel like 8-8 around here, it still stinks like it too.

No love for Baltimore?

They looked decimated to start FA, and since them they have solidified the front 7 and added a decent, younger safety. I remain impressed with Newsome the man understands how to put a roster together. Their defense is looking pretty good with Dumerville/Suggs as opposing pass rush threats and Canty solidifying their frontline they have a pretty decent front seven. The Huff signing arguably is a wash with Reed, you lose his ball hawk return skills but Huff is probably a more sound all around player at this point.

I think they need some more inside linebacker depth but thats pretty damn good considering how bad their defense looked on paper 2 weeks ago.

Ozzie has done a good job. They lost a lot of veteran leadership on D, but Ray Lewis wasn't coming back anyway and Ed Reed is getting paid way too much for being well past his prime. So they managed to get younger and at relatively affordable prices. I think they'll definitely take a step back next year but that was probably inevitable anyway. Ozzie has done the best job that could have been done under the circumstances.

Free's big ridiculous contract, signed under Garrett. Ratliff's huge extension, signed under Garrett. Scandrick extended and signed under Garrett.

you're right, i thought those were 2009 contracts--i'm just F'ing up all over the place lately.

With Mike Jenkins going to Oakland and the inevitable cutting of Felix Jones - the Cowboys will officially have 1 player left on their roster from the combined drafts of 2008 & 2009. :rolleyes: :thumbsdown: :wall:

- Sign Andre Smith without breaking the bank..tho I personally think he's overrated.

Apparently the Bengals think so too.

Apparently the Bengals think so too.

I think Andre Smith & his agent need to temper their expectations of what they thought his market value was. This was the same reason he held out of camp so long when he was drafted, because his agent wanted LT $. Sorry Andre, but you're a RT.

Interesting to see if he waits until the season rolls around & some team loses a starting tackle to injury before he signs a deal. He's gonna need outside forces to drive his value back up but even then it'll probably be only a one year deal.

Cardinals -- I'm happy I suppose. They really struggled last year and made a ton of moves; none terribly big (except maybe QB) but since the team sucked last year, turning over a lot of the players can't hurt.

I am happy about Palmer because now they won't need to reach for a QB in the draft this year. I'll have to wait until after the draft, but if they get a stud tackle, or trade for Brandon Albert from the Chiefs and get Warmack, I'll be pretty happy.