Sign in to follow this  
dj88

Why do almost all league formats favor the RB?

In the real NFL everyone is quick to say how QB driven the game is. Yet almost all fantasy football leagues only give 4 points per TD pass. I've always found this to be just plain stupid. QB's are the most important piece in the real NFL, but in fantasy land they're not even drafted in the 1st round.

I'm in 2 leagues (used to be in a lot more) and both leagues award 6 points per TD. This creates QB runs in the 1st round. I feel it represents the real life NFL better this way. I constantly wonder why FF leagues haven't evolved over the years?

I totally agree. In my league, Qb!s and Rb!s have similar values but quarterbacks are the highest scorers. The most important position on a team is the quarterback. I don't think anyone can argue that. My current league reflects that which I like. It makes it tough to mock online though because "standard" leagues always value running backs more. I'm like you, at what point did rb's become the most important position. Why not wide receivers then? It's kinda funny.

In the real NFL everyone is quick to say how QB driven the game is. Yet almost all fantasy football leagues only give 4 points per TD pass. I've always found this to be just plain stupid. QB's are the most important piece in the real NFL, but in fantasy land they're not even drafted in the 1st round.

I'm in 2 leagues (used to be in a lot more) and both leagues award 6 points per TD. This creates QB runs in the 1st round. I feel it represents the real life NFL better this way. I constantly wonder why FF leagues haven't evolved over the years?

the 4 points for td from the qb keeps the points closer to the other postions points . sot then ff just does not come down to you has the better qb ..its who has the better team

even in 6 pt td leagues, QB's still should be undervalued, unless you play in a 2 QB league, then its different

the fact that there are 12 solid QB's this year, that means 1 per team, I am perfectly happy with starting Romo or Luck to your Brees or Rodgers.

RB's go up and down so much, that its important to have a stud, and load your team up with backups

really, what?! i've been in an extremely competive keeper league with 6pts a pasing td, and RBs are still heavily favored and ther ehas never been a qb rush in round one. one of my keepers was cam newton (instead of jamaal, was afraid of his acl injury, bad move!), who still finished 4th best amoung qbs, and i still regretted the decision. didn't help me at all.

the answer to your question is you have to score more per slot in your line up. in 1 qb leagues there isn't much difference between the top 3 and the top 6, and the top 6 and the top 9 etc. but you have to start at least two 2bs, and the differnce between the top 6 and the top 12 is noticable, and the differencer between the top 12 and the top 18 is staggering. add a flex in and your talking about teams that can't even field 2 starting rbs a week, relying on platoon guys and hoping for a touchdown or a outlier game.

i have no idea what kind of scoring sytem your guys are running, but my league is extremely skewed towards the qb (6pts a td, 1 pts per 20 yards, 5pt bonus for 300) and still you don't go qb early. look at rogers last year, finished 2nd or 3rd and still screwed his owners.

the op and the 2nd poster have a lot to learn about fantasy football

even in 6 pt td leagues, QB's still should be undervalued, unless you play in a 2 QB league, then its different

the fact that there are 12 solid QB's this year, that means 1 per team, I am perfectly happy with starting Romo or Luck to your Brees or Rodgers.

RB's go up and down so much, that its important to have a stud, and load your team up with backups

i hear your point but the team with luck might end up giving up about ten point per game on average to the team with brees. thats a big handicap each week. albeit in most formats its only going to impact you two times a year.

I play in a 6 point per pass td league and I don't expect anyone to take a qb in the first. I think they work be making a mistake if they did.

Still, qbs always score more points than any other position in my leagues, it's just that we only start one.

I am an advocate for drafting Graham early because of his statistical advantage over the rest of the field. It's not guaranteed, but odds are he will finish well above the pack.

I feel as if I can draft a qb late who will push for top honors this year which is why I am waiting to draft one.

If you knew for sure Brees was going to throw for 50' then he would obviously be the most valuable player.

If you are this passionate about it ask the league to switch to a two qb system. The value would sky rocket.

Because it's not pure scoring that makes a position highly coveted in the draft. It's the number of players that can score points at that position that does. I can make a league that awards 10 points per field goal and nobody is going to draft a kicker in the first round. The reason is that there is very little difference statistically between kicker #1 and kicker #15. As most leagues are 12 teams there's really no value in drafting kicker #1.

QB's are similar. This year there are 2 studs another 5-6 that have potential to be elite and another 4-5 that could be in the top 5 by the end of the year. Whether passing TD's are 3, 4, or 6 points Its the market that dictates demand. If i can get a QB with top 5 potential in the 6th or 7th round why am I going to jump on one early.

RB's are typically the most scarce position for productivity. You need two starters and there are maybe 15 that I'm comfortable starting. You do the math and in a 12 teamer, that leaves you with 9 teams scrambling for an RB2 with guys that have pretty limited potential. This is what creates the demand for RB's in round 1, not the fact that they get 3, 6, or 10 points for a TD.

A previous poster mentioned a 2QB league or allowing a QB at the flex position would put much more demand on the QB position in the draft.

its cause there are only 32 starting running backs and when the starter is playing and the team runs the ball, the running back gets the carry. another way to put it is, the running backs touch the ball most.

with that being said, i like leagues with 6 point pass tds, and that start 3wr. it gives the draft more variety and a team more ways to win.

careful, romo goes late enough where the remaining backs and wrs are a dime a dozen. i would love to screw another owner by taking a 2nd qb in round 8 and having them start eli manning or andy dalton

As said... it doesn't matter how many points per TD are awarded... it's the relative value to the other players at a position. 3 per TD... 6 per TD... 9 per TD... it doesn't matter.

In leagues that give bonuses for long FG's... kickers frequently score a lot of points. That doesn't make taking one before the last round or two any less stupid.

The only way to balance the "value" of QB's and RB's in FF is to have a 2 QB league... or 1 RB. But that's just silly.

As AnaheimRams said, the answer is the most important, simple yet confusing term in fantasy football. Its the term that shows how dumb the guy is who advocates early kickers yet he has a phd, and its the term that makes the guy who drafts 2 early qbs silly as well...Relative Value. It means the value of a player relative to the rest of the players at his position. Kickers and DST score alot, but the difference between the top 3 kickers and the 10-12th ranked kickers isnt many points. So each kicker has a low relative value. I know it takes alot more examples for that to sink in to some so ill just stop. RBs ahve very high relative value, so the difference between the top rbs and the last starting rbs is going to be very high.

Very simple, whatever position has the highest relative value will be the most in demand position, especially if they touch the ball the most. WR get 5-8 rec a game so that leaves a volatile stat line that can change drastically, thats why ur 6th rnd wr can be great for you. But ur 6th rnd RB, barring a change of events, will only get X touches and its prob far lower than higher rnd rbs.

Greg zuerline is going to be my kicker target a round or two early because we get big bonus points for long fgs. he scored over 20 points multiple times last year while other kickers were only scoring 10-15.

My main league allows for a QB to be played at the flex position. It really opens up the draft. I have gone QB QB in the first 2 rounds.

We strive really hard to create parity between positions that allows the most amount creativity and flexibility in drafting and sculpting teams. 10 team league features:

-Start 2QBs (makes QB position fairly comperable to RB)

-PPR for WR/TE (ditto - although TE is discounted, part of me likes the 1.5ppr for TE, but that makes the Graham/Gronks too valuable)

- .5PPR for RB's (have to tone down RB ppr to keep the position in line with the others...

Obviously you can't do this type of thing in larger leagues as scarcity is too great at QB... Every team needs a starting QB backup, and there aren't 36 in the NFL... Maybe making the 2nd QB a flex could help a bit, but not enough.

In our early days we messed around with having a starter and 'backup starting' QB, where the 2nd QB gets 1/2 points. Was interesting as well. Some things to think about.

With the rise of the "committee" RB in recent years along with the explosion in passing stats, my league has actually reduced the required number of starting RBs to one, with the second now being a flex.

It's the requirement to start that second RB that really artificially inflates the importance of RBs in fantasy football. In every other way, the starting lineup kind of mirrors that of a real offense- 1 QB, 2 WR, 1 TE (or 3rd WR). The second starting RB is the monkey wrench. And nowadays, once you get past those top 12 or so RBs on the board, you're into a lot of committee backs. So that explains why your first round is almost entirely RBs and why seemingly middling RBs will get taken over upper-echelon QBs. Supply and demand. In a typical 12 team league, you're looking at a need for 24 starting RBs while there are only 10-15 real good ones to be had, followed by a bunch of question marks. At the same time, there is a need for only 12 starting QBs and there are 12 good ones.

So, by removing that requirement for the second RB and making it a flex instead, the tables are balanced a bit. As the NFL evolves into a more pass-happy league, the 2-RB format in fantasy is becoming a dinosaur.

And, yes, passing TDs should get the full 6 points in order to reflect the true importance of the QB position.

I like leagues with 6 pt QBs. It makes some QBs more valuable because the separation between QBs, the fpgs, becomes greater. But still when you need at least 2RBs and there are not that many of them, RBs will still be the dominant pick.

The problem I have found is getting a good ADP schedule for these leagues. For instance, I would love Drew Brees, he is in a tier to himself according to my rankings. There is no way he goes in the third round.

Anyone know a good place to find ADPs for 6 pt QB TDs?

When I started fantasy football, there were hardly any NFL teams that had 2 quality RBs. They would have one workhorse.

Even now with more teams having RBBC, there are only a handful that have a 2nd RB worthy of being in a champion fantasy lineup. TSo if you do the math, in a fantasy league with 12 teams and two starting slots for RBs, that means there will be 24 spoken for on a week to week basis. That also means that only 8 of the 12 teams will be able to have a starting RB as their bye week or flex position player. This is also only true if every team in the NFL had a quality RB, which we know is not the case. In reality, there are maybe 20 competent RBs out there to be spread among 12 teams who all need at least 3 of them (2 start, 1 for bye week). It has nothing to do with the scoring system and everything to do with availability. TDs could be 12 points for a QB, and it would still be more important to get RBs fast.

There's no set rules to the game. Create your league that you feel should be right....whatever others do really don't matter.

Enjoy the game and stop wasting time on trying to figure out something that will make no impact in your life or enjoyment. :doublethumbsup:

i hear your point but the team with luck might end up giving up about ten point per game on average to the team with brees. thats a big handicap each week. albeit in most formats its only going to impact you two times a year.

last year Brees outscored Luck by less than 6 pts a game, assuming Brees is no 1, Luck no 12

last year AP outscored Woodhead (no 24 rb) by 12 pts a game

seems pretty easy to me who to take early

There are two issues here.

1. should qb score the same as a rb/we/te with respects to rushing and receiving. I think here the answer is YES

2. with respects to passing. I think passing is a different aspect. I think any player that passes the ball should score differently that rushing/receiving.

Even with QB scoring 4 pts per passing TD and .05pts per yd for passing vs 6pts per rush/rec and .1 yd rush/receiving. they will tend to be, individually, the highest scorer on a team.

However, this can be said of the #1 qb versus the #12 qb. Romo should score more on a week to week than Adrian Peterson.

Here though is the reason RB are desired. a RB1 should be the next scorer that consistently scores the most.

Many leagues play multiple RBs. Some 2 some 2+flex. you cannot afford to let your competition get both Peterson and Spiller-Lynch in any draft format.

Fortunately there is enough of a talent pool for a league to balance out, but small enough where value is greater than any other position.

Where as, qb position, there are more quality starters than number of starting positions in most leagues (except pansy leaguest that start 2 qb or allow them to be a flex position).

While there will be a few WR that may score as consistent as a tier 3 rb. this will only hold true for about 3 - 5 wrs and maybe 2-3 te. even in these pass happy times. reason, while a team will feature rushing plays to a few on their roster (rbbc or not). the qb will pass to any pass eligible player on any given play. check down or not. A featured rb will get about 20 plays a game, where as a feature wr 5 maybe 10 a game. balance is key in passing.

hth

yeah i thinks its cause there are fewer stud rbs to fill a line up most leagues you need 2 starters meaning you need to grab 2 out of 32 starters betwen 12 teams unless your in a 10 team league you could get 3 out of 32 .... thats why rbs have such major value.... i rather have 2 rbs maybe top 15 guys and get a qb that may end up top 10

4pts for passing touchdowns makes ZERO sense. I've been doing FF since 1997 and we always make it a 6 point TD.

I know, let's make rushing touchdowns 5pts and recieving touchdowns 7pts and while we are at it, let's make field goals 5 points and you get 10pts for a safety!!!!

4pts for passing touchdowns makes ZERO sense. I've been doing FF since 1997 and we always make it a 6 point TD.

I know, let's make rushing touchdowns 5pts and recieving touchdowns 7pts and while we are at it, let's make field goals 5 points and you get 10pts for a safety!!!!

You are ate the fock up dude.

With the rise of the "committee" RB in recent years along with the explosion in passing stats, my league has actually reduced the required number of starting RBs to one, with the second now being a flex.

It's the requirement to start that second RB that really artificially inflates the importance of RBs in fantasy football. In every other way, the starting lineup kind of mirrors that of a real offense- 1 QB, 2 WR, 1 TE (or 3rd WR). The second starting RB is the monkey wrench. And nowadays, once you get past those top 12 or so RBs on the board, you're into a lot of committee backs. So that explains why your first round is almost entirely RBs and why seemingly middling RBs will get taken over upper-echelon QBs. Supply and demand. In a typical 12 team league, you're looking at a need for 24 starting RBs while there are only 10-15 real good ones to be had, followed by a bunch of question marks. At the same time, there is a need for only 12 starting QBs and there are 12 good ones.

So, by removing that requirement for the second RB and making it a flex instead, the tables are balanced a bit. As the NFL evolves into a more pass-happy league, the 2-RB format in fantasy is becoming a dinosaur.

And, yes, passing TDs should get the full 6 points in order to reflect the true importance of the QB position.

Funny evolve into a passing league? This year I find that RB are deep and plenty of them. I always thought RB was more valuable because they get rushing and receiving yards and even sometimes return. More opportunity to get TD than most WR and TE. Only the QB scores more TD's on the average. But than instead of comparing a QB vs RB maybe its cause the drop off of RB production is steeper and faster as you start to go down the line than the QB drop off. Hence the favorable take a RB than QB with the sprinkle of Calvin Johnson in the first round of any format. I have not played in a league that someone has not drafted a QB and WR in a first round. Now with all that said and all that one untimely injury, the blow up season. the under performing season that none can predict. Once you figure it all out draft accordingly. Everything is just speculation and really depends on draft position period and who is available. I have seen it work and be successful every way. The only thing I can tell you for certain is if you have the first pick over all in your draft pick a RB I.ll let you decide who. Oh yea lets stop comparing fantasy football to how the do it in real football that is just nonsense for the obvious reasons.

• Like 1

You are ate the fock up dude.

have no clue what the fock you are talking about