Sign in to follow this  
CornKobb

Shane Vereen Offseason hype....real or fluke?

I was thrilled to get Vereen at 6.2 in a ppr league Saturday Night. Unfortunately after Ray Rice I am depending on him as my #2.

I got my pants handed to me last year...got 2nd to last place, so after our 1 keeper I picked 2nd....2.2.

2.2 Calvin Johnson.....u ask how he was there? the owner kept foster and the drafter at 2.1 took richardson

3.11 Vincent Jackson...was about where he should be drafted i guess

4.2 Tom Brady.....reached a lil bit but all tds count 7pts in this league. dont ask me why

5.11 Eric Decker...Took best available on value. this whole time i am passing up ok/servicable rbs

6.2 Finally got a rb...Shane Vereen - this may be my downfall.

7:11 Tony Gonzalez...

8.2 Ahmad Bradshaw...? but could be a good #3

9:11 Bernard Pierce....cuff

10.2 Justin Blackmon

Got Andre Brown and Reece 2. Looks like my season has alot to do with Vereen??? The Big Boards have him ranked 23 or so rb and 37 overall in ppr.

Yet the projections have him only 400 rush 400 rec 57 catches and 5 tds for season. thats pretty mediocre.

Sorry for the drawn out ? but want some homers true thoughts on Shane Vereen production this year and role.

Thanks.....and good luck to all this season.

Obviously he holds more value in PPR but even with that said I drafted him as my #4 (@ best) in the leagues I did take him. I even got him as late as the 13th round (my #6RB). His stock rose steadily in the early preseason but seemed to drop at the end. I'm only counting on spot starts during bye weeks or injury but the #s you qouted seem about right.

I'm in the same boat as you in all of my leagues. I went early on stud wr1's which has left me with Vereen as my rb2 in several leagues. I think Sudfeld may devalue him a bit with less targets, but if he can replicate Woodhead receptions and a little better rushing numbers and td's....who knows?

I have Vereen as my #3 FF RB behind Jamaal Charles and Darren Sproles, and the potential is certainly there for Vereen to have a serious breakout season.

Danny Woodhead had 700 total yards and 7 TDs last year for the Pats, and I believe that Vereen is far more talented than Woodhead. I see Vereen being highly involved in the Pats offense and getting around 950 total yards and 8 TDs. Ridley is a non-factor in the passing game, and thus Vereen will have that particular role to himself. He's also versatile enough to be lined up as a WR; the divisional game against the Texans is illustration of that fact. I foresee him playing a "Sproles" role in the offense, with more rushing touches.

Ridley will remain the lead dog in the running game, but Vereen will get his share of touches. And if Ridley gets injured (unfortunately) or starts fumbling, Vereen has a strong possiblity of becoming a Top 15 FF RB as the full time starter.

Well darn....I was thinking Vereen may take more of a sproles role with all of the receptions 5 top receviers leaving the pats.

Not expecting a blowup every week like his stat line vs texans in playoffs but lil better than 25 rush 25 rec 3 catch avg.

Oh well....we shall see. Love to hear more thoughts. thanks

I like Vereen as a flex player. He has shown that he has superior talent to Woodhead. He can catch the ball in space and also down field like a WR. I think there will be hit or miss weeks in this roll. The upside is if Ridley is injured and Vereen consolidates all 3 downs of work he would become a very strong #1 back.

• Like 1

Not too bad since you got Bradshaw as your RB3. Between him and Vereen you can hopefully get some serviceable production out of the RB2 slot.

Took him as my RB4 in one league. Thinking he'll, at least, be a Sproles type fantasy RB. Vereen will likely be taking over Danny Woodhead's role and Woodhead was around 24th in RB scoring and Vereen is more physically talented. Not to mention, that there is a possibility that Vereen will also be able to take on some of Aaron Hernandez's targets in a sense.

I think you should be fine with Vereen as a RB2 in ppr. I have him as my RB2 in a dynasty league after Spiller. The Pats are going to be in need of players stepping up due to their loss of talent from last year. I don't see how Vereen doesn't become a large part of what they do, especially in mismatch coverage with a linebacker.

I think you should be fine with Vereen as a RB2 in ppr. I have him as my RB2 in a dynasty league after Spiller. The Pats are going to be in need of players stepping up due to their loss of talent from last year. I don't see how Vereen doesn't become a large part of what they do, especially in mismatch coverage with a linebacker.

Thats what I was thinking...thinking about 40 rush and 4-45 avg on catches and around 8 tds for the season would be achievable. ?

Thats what I was thinking...thinking about 40 rush and 4-45 avg on catches and around 8 tds for the season would be achievable. ?

Definitely achievable with the occasional 8 catches for 120 yards and a tuddy thrown in.

With Gronk probably coming back earlier than expected, his value is definitely diminished. I think you'll end up starting Bradshaw most of the time who is a great value pick at RB. I am definitely going after him in leagues where I don't get a few early RBs.

I think Vereen will be an excellent #2 Rb in PPR. NE has no other RB that can catch the ball. Combining Woodhead's plus his own stats from last year would be like 150 car for 500+ yds and 50 rec 500+ yds and 11 Td's. I think that is pretty close to a given what he'll produce this year.......little more yds, couple less TD's ...........but that would have been like the 13th overall Rb last year.

I think there could even be a little upside from there. The hype on Thompkins and Sudfield has gone some what overboard. They are rookies, think they might have seen some extra targets in the preaseason just to see if they could handle their roles.There is no reason to believe that NE is actually showing much of their hand in these preseason games of their new offensive wrinkles. In mini camps and early training camp Vereen was learning and running many of Hernandez's "joker" passing routes which could lead to even more chances to produce. Amendola going down as he has in past I think would increase Vareens role as well.

I couldn't justify drafting him any sooner than my RB4. I think the risk is too high for a backup RB no matter what his potential. Also, with the emergence of Sudfeld and Thompkins, the Pats passing game looks fine which will take away from the potential RB carries.

I got him as a rb4 in the 8th rd of a ppr draft. I'm rolling with him week 1, as we start 2 flex and my wrs suck. I'm hoping he's a 10-12 point guy in ppr with upside.

I got him as a rb4 in the 8th rd of a ppr draft. I'm rolling with him week 1, as we start 2 flex and my wrs suck. I'm hoping he's a 10-12 point guy in ppr with upside.

8th round??? Really? I'm in a 12-man ppr and I felt so good about him I took him in the 5th and Bradshaw in the 6th to back up Sproles and David Wilson.

I couldn't justify drafting him any sooner than my RB4. I think the risk is too high for a backup RB no matter what his potential. Also, with the emergence of Sudfeld and Thompkins, the Pats passing game looks fine which will take away from the potential RB carries.

With the emergence of two rookies that weren't considered very special a few weeks ago and still haven't played in a meaningful nfl game? Your definition of emergence is a lot different than mine.

Vereen isn't your true backup RB though. He may be on the field at the same time as Ridley quite a bit. He has the talent to line up in the slot and as an outside WR. He will be the passing down back as well. The playoff game last year against Houston showed what he is capable of: 7 rushes, 41 yards, 1 rushing TD, 5 receptions, 83 yards, and 2 receiving TD's.

As someone else pointed out, if you combine Woodhead's numbers last year with Vereen, you'd be looking at about 550 rushing yards, 7 TD's, 48 receptions, 600 receiving yards, and 4 receiving TD's. That was in a season where the Pats had more weapons than they may have this year (Welker, Hernandez, Lloyd). The 11 TD's would be very optimistic, but I think he can approach 1000 total yards with around 50 receptions. If he scores, 6-7 times, he could certainly be a low end RB2 in PPR leagues this year.

Vereen isn't your true backup RB though. He may be on the field at the same time as Ridley quite a bit. He has the talent to line up in the slot and as an outside WR. He will be the passing down back as well. The playoff game last year against Houston showed what he is capable of: 7 rushes, 41 yards, 1 rushing TD, 5 receptions, 83 yards, and 2 receiving TD's.

As someone else pointed out, if you combine Woodhead's numbers last year with Vereen, you'd be looking at about 550 rushing yards, 7 TD's, 48 receptions, 600 receiving yards, and 4 receiving TD's. That was in a season where the Pats had more weapons than they may have this year (Welker, Hernandez, Lloyd). The 11 TD's would be very optimistic, but I think he can approach 1000 total yards with around 50 receptions. If he scores, 6-7 times, he could certainly be a low end RB2 in PPR leagues this year.

Good chain of thoughts and analysis. I like the projected numbers. He's a buy with huge upside especially in PPR leagues.

Good chain of thoughts and analysis. I like the projected numbers. He's a buy with huge upside especially in PPR leagues.

Exactly.....Good chain of thoughts and analysis. I am glad to hear most of the vets/regulars on this site have positive views on Vereen in a ppr.

Then I go to pigskinaddiction.com and they have there game by game stat predictions for games up and have Vereen at 25rush 25rec 0td this week vs Bills.

Although it is pigskinaddiction......ha ha. They also have rb Andre Brown nyg rushing for 30yds and a touchdown so not too worried....ha. thanks for the insight from you all.

i am torn on vereen. on one hand, i could see the pats using him a lot since they are in need of weapons, but on the other hand, i could easily see them spreading the ball around and vereen being extremely hit or miss from week to week. i like to have more consistent performers at the flex spot. i would probably be more comfortable with bradshaw at flex because you at least know that if he's playing, he'll put up good numbers.

Pats homer here, and I just feel that Vereen is being drafted at a point that takes away all his upside... I ended up getting him much later than ADP of 4th/5th rd which is crazy to me...

I see the pats going more conventional in playcalling... More pro set run, run ,pass.... I just don't see him getting on the field enough to make a huge impact... Barring injury he is a 500-600 total yard type of guy with a handful of TDs... PPR makes him spot startable I guess... But he's being drafted at a spot where he'd be expected to prodcue week in and week out... I question that.

Pats homer here, and I just feel that Vereen is being drafted at a point that takes away all his upside... I ended up getting him much later than ADP of 4th/5th rd which is crazy to me...

I see the pats going more conventional in playcalling... More pro set run, run ,pass.... I just don't see him getting on the field enough to make a huge impact... Barring injury he is a 500-600 total yard type of guy with a handful of TDs... PPR makes him spot startable I guess... But he's being drafted at a spot where he'd be expected to prodcue week in and week out... I question that.

So the Pats using him more in the playoffs and preseason, and the designed plays for vereen is all just a bluff? A smoke screen?

He is obviously talented. What is the point in having a talented offensive weapon who can do well as a conventional rb and has great hands?

Belicheck is great at utilizing the talent on his team, I don't see how this changes with vereen all of a sudden.

this is all you need to know re: Vereen

I like Vereen as a flex player. He has shown that he has superior talent to Woodhead. He can catch the ball in space and also down field like a WR. I think there will be hit or miss weeks in this roll. The upside is if Ridley is injured and Vereen consolidates all 3 downs of work he would become a very strong #1 back.

Bob said it best. Vereen is a nice flex in a 12-14 team league with upside. Roll with him. He will be a nice fill in on bye weeks with potential to be an every week starter in your flex spot.

I hope Vereen lives up to the hype. Right now I have the tough decision of starting 2 of these players in my flex .5ppr league (with return yards scoring... 1 pt per 25yds ko, 1 pt per 10yds punt, 6pt TDs):

Vereen

Tavon Austin

TY Hilton

Miles Austin

(DeAngelo Williams).

I have a feeling this is going to be one of those years where I am going to lose myself a lot of games... I see these 4 guys putting up about the same amount of points in my league.

Does Vereen handle any return duties?

The Pats cut Leon Washinton- - this helps Vereen's value a bit.

See, NE has Ridley and Blount, they play a similar role - now that Washington is gone, there's nobody else to play Vereen's role as a 2-back/3rd down/ slot / motion running back.

He is very talented, arguably the best playmaker NE has (Gronk?). But there is still some question about his durability.

IMO, Vereen could make a very nice #2 RB, but he won't be "the guy" with Ridley and Blount there. NE will rely on both styles of running attacks and Vereen will not see "feature back" minutes/touches, not this year anyway.

Still, he can do a lot with minimal touches.

Stewburt made some very good points about this above.

Stew wrote a great summary of Vereen. I've bought in all preseason and have been touting a Sproles like season from the beginning. In my most recent draft this past weekend (PPR), I passed on a RB in round 2 (which is the round Sproles went in this particular draft), and I took Jimmy Graham with the hopes of landing Vereen in round 4 as an RB2 (behind Trent). By the time I got to pick in the 4th round all of the RBs were pretty much gone, except Vereen. I was laughed at for "reaching" on him, but I had him ranked ahead of guys like DMAC, Lacy, D. Richardson, all of whom were drafted before Vereen. I'm a firm believer in "if you want somebody, better to take him early, than wait a round later" because I've missed out on far too many players in the past because I thought I could get them later or closer to their ADP.

I like Vereen a lot this year, but unfortunately i didn't get him in any leagues... I will comment about his use from last year, however. Everyone assumes that Ridley got all of the goalline looks last year, but Ridley got his fair share... and as a Ridley owner last year it drove me crazy. The patriots seemed to use Vereen and Woodhead quite frequently whenever they got inside the opposing 30 yard line... Ridley would carry the load to midfield and slightly beyond, and then (whether it was to give Ridley a break, or because Beli believed that woodhead and Vereen pose some interesting matchups on the opponents side of the field) Vereen or Woodhead would enter the game (like i said... drove me crazy). The pats then tended to move the ball, most often in a 'hurry up' fashion... as a Ridley owner i would hope that, once inside the 5, they would sub Ridley back in, but Tom Terrific in the 'hurry up' moved fast with the players on the field... this gave the woodhead and vereen combo lots more goalline opportunities than you would think... in fact here are the stats through week 16

Ridley 59 carries inside 20yds (51% of teams attempts) / 17 attempts inside 5yds (45% of teams attempts) 11TDs

Vereen 12 carries inside 20yds (11% of teams attempts / 4 attempts inside 5 yds (11% of teams attempts) 3 TDs

Woodhead 19 carries inside 20yds (17% of teams attempts) 6 carries inside 5yds (16% of teams attempts) 5TDs

If the trend continues (Ridley getting less of a Redzone% than other 'bell cow' RBs) and Vereen can steal some of those extra looks that Woodhead receieved last year... this is a recipe for success on the ground for Vereen... factor the rumors that Vereen will be a huge threat in a the passing game and i think that you are looking at a very surprisingly solid season...

• Like 1

The Pats cut Leon Washinton- - this helps Vereen's value a bit.

See, NE has Ridley and Blount, they play a similar role - now that Washington is gone, there's nobody else to play Vereen's role as a 2-back/3rd down/ slot / motion running back.

He is very talented, arguably the best playmaker NE has (Gronk?). But there is still some question about his durability.

IMO, Vereen could make a very nice #2 RB, but he won't be "the guy" with Ridley and Blount there. NE will rely on both styles of running attacks and Vereen will not see "feature back" minutes/touches, not this year anyway.

Still, he can do a lot with minimal touches.

Stewburt made some very good points about this above.

He doesn't need to be 'the man' in that offense. Woodhead was at 700 yards and 7 TD. I can see Ridley putting up Sproles numbers in this offense.

Stew wrote a great summary of Vereen. I've bought in all preseason and have been touting a Sproles like season from the beginning. In my most recent draft this past weekend (PPR), I passed on a RB in round 2 (which is the round Sproles went in this particular draft), and I took Jimmy Graham with the hopes of landing Vereen in round 4 as an RB2 (behind Trent). By the time I got to pick in the 4th round all of the RBs were pretty much gone, except Vereen. I was laughed at for "reaching" on him, but I had him ranked ahead of guys like DMAC, Lacy, D. Richardson, all of whom were drafted before Vereen. I'm a firm believer in "if you want somebody, better to take him early, than wait a round later" because I've missed out on far too many players in the past because I thought I could get them later or closer to their ADP.

Agree so how are people getting him in the 8th round???? There is no way he should last longer than the 5th maybe 6th round if you're lucky as hell. I want to be in those leagues. Please sign me up.

Agree so how are people getting him in the 8th round???? There is no way he should last longer than the 5th maybe 6th round if you're lucky as hell. I want to be in those leagues. Please sign me up.

It seems people like to wildly exaggerate about deals they got on players, as though it makes them look like a good drafter or something. Funny thing is they just look kinda stupid for having themselves passed on Vereen in the fifth, sixth and seventh rounds.

Seems like people like to wildly exaggerate about deals they got on players, like it makes them look like a good drafter or something. Funny thing is they just look kinda stupid for having themselves passed on Vereen in the fifth, sixth and seventh rounds.

If Vereen is being drafted in the 8th round or later especially in PPR, you're either:

1. Playing in a 6 team league

2. Playing with nuns and 1st graders

3. Getting -2 points for starting Patriot players

While I think the has some good upside, I think he's overhyped. He'll be filling Woodhead's role, and he may improve on those numbers. But Ridley is the number 1, and even if he gets injured/benched I don't see Vereen taking over as the #1. While he could get some more touches, I think Bolden or Blount takes over for Ridely's role as the pounder and goal-line back. Bolden put up pretty good numbers last year when they gave Ridley a breather.

He doesn't need to be 'the man' in that offense. Woodhead was at 700 yards and 7 TD. I can see Ridley putting up Sproles numbers in this offense.

You mean vereen?

Ridley = 1 year wonder

Vereen= um hyped for?? Scat back at best on third downs.

True NE RB will end up being Blount.

Ridley = 1 year wonder

:lol: X50

Ridley = 1 year wonder

LMAO!!

I don't even think LeGarrette Blount's DAD believes he has a shot of starting.

Ridley = 1 year wonder

Scat back? I suppose anyone ol rb that catches passes out of the backfield is a scat back.

Ridley = 1 year wonder

Lots of good info till ole Cspan101 gave his/her opinion. bad info.....disreguard