Sign in to follow this  
Matt Mueller

Mid Season MVP Check in-Besides Peyton Who Ya Got?

Gonna be Peyton's award. Aside from him who else deserves a nomination?

I'm gonna toss Luck out there. Lost 2 starting running backs, 1 HOF receiver, has a rookie head coach and has basically carried the team to 7-3.

Even though "his best days are behind him", Calvin over the past 3 weeks is making a case. 2k yards and 15td's not out of the question.

Some people just don't understand what the nfl MVP award is. It's the guy with the best stats, weighted thusly...

Qb

Rb

Wr

It's not who had a great effort or who really gutted it out. It's best stats. Andrew luck ain't winning, if u want to play it that way then russel Wilson is having a better year. It's Peyton all the way but excluding him I'd say brees or Calvin also have a shot.

I'd say the same if we were talking strictly fantasy.

Aj green

Forte (consistency)

Megatron

JC

McCoy

Brees

My league gives big bonuses for yards so mega and green have been killing it.

That defense is stellar though. So is Lynch.

Agreed, but secretly a defense is only as good as the qb lets it be (first downs give more rest, scoring means not forced to play nick/dime all day) and a rb 9/10 is only good if the qb can make plays and keep the defense guessing. Put a crap qb on the hawks and the D and run game would look way worse.

MVP could also be specific to one's team. After drafting bums TRich and D. Wilson, Zac Stacy has filled the void for my squad.

Agreed, but secretly a defense is only as good as the qb lets it be (first downs give more rest, scoring means not forced to play nick/dime all day) and a rb 9/10 is only good if the qb can make plays and keep the defense guessing. Put a crap qb on the hawks and the D and run game would look way worse.

I feel that. As a Jets fan I know all about it. :doh:

I absolutely love Wilson as a player. Drew Brees with legs.

Jamal Charles has to be in the conversation.

It is him.......and he tossed me out of the finals in two leagues today.

Peyton.....hands down no question.

my only argument here is put DT, Welker, Decker, Thomas on any other team and lets see that QB's stats. AGAIN.Manning always has had stacked WR , for once would like to see him do more with less....like BRADY

my only argument here is put DT, Welker, Decker, Thomas on any other team and lets see that QB's stats. AGAIN.Manning always has had stacked WR , for once would like to see him do more with less....like BRADY

:rolleyes:

Peyton, Russell Wilson, Jamal Charles all very deserving this year just looking at offensive players.

J. Gordon-Missed 2 games and was a 6-8th rounder. He is my fantasy MVP. Real MVP will go to P. Manning especially if he breaks the passing TD record.

Decker

Yrs w Manning- Avg 1097 yds + 10 TDs (w/ 2 games to go)

Yrs w/o Manning- Avg 359 yds + 4.5 TDs

DT

Yrs w Manning- Avg 1314 yds + 10.5 TDs

Yrs w/o Manning- Avg 417 yds + 3 TDs

Welker is great but guess when his worst full year was since he was a starter, 2008. That was the year Brady was down.

At some point you have to admit that maybe these WRs are so good because of the QB.

Charles is averaging almost 20 points a game (19.7) in standard leagues. He single-handedly carried thousands of owners into the championship game this weekend.

That's the definition of MVP to me.

Charles is averaging almost 20 points a game (19.7) in standard leagues. He single-handedly carried thousands of owners into the championship game this weekend.

This.

Case closed.

If the Chiefs win that division, Jamaal Charles is the league MVP...and honestly I don't even think the vote will be close regardless of what record(s) Manning breaks

Andy Reid has already locked up coach of the year.

If the Chiefs win that division, Jamaal Charles is the league MVP...and honestly I don't even think the vote will be close regardless of what record(s) Manning breaks

Andy Reid has already locked up coach of the year.

The problem is that KC has given up the 3rd fewest points of all teams. So if they win the division a lot of people will view it as a function of a dominant defense not an overpowering RB.

Also, the award is dominated by QBs. For a RB to win it they need to be really dominant, like AP last year. Charles isn't leading in total yards (McCoy) or rushing yds (McCoy).

He may deserve it but things are stacked against him.

The problem is that KC has given up the 3rd fewest points of all teams. So if they win the division a lot of people will view it as a function of a dominant defense not an overpowering RB.

Also, the award is dominated by QBs. For a RB to win it they need to be really dominant, like AP last year. Charles isn't leading in total yards (McCoy) or rushing yds (McCoy).

He may deserve it but things are stacked against him.

Jamaal Charles leads the NFL in total TD's (18), has 1836 yards from scrimmage (2nd behind McCoy), has the most rushing TD's (T-1). Charles has only two games all season where he has not gotten at least 100 yards from scrimmage, and only 3 games where he hasn't scored a touchdown.

Since Week 12, Charles has 379 yards rushing, 272 yards receiving and 10 total TDs

Only player in NFL history to have four receiving touchdowns, one rushing in a single game.

The five total touchdowns in Week 15 tie for the fourth-most in a single game in NFL history and was one shy of the league record.

Established an NFL record by becoming the first running back in league history to record four receiving touchdowns in a single game.

Second player in NFL history to total 100 yards and a touchdown in each of the first seven games to start a season, joining O.J. Simpson as the only two players to accomplish the feat.

First player in Chiefs history to rush for 1,000 yards four times.

Then again...of course it's semantics. The award givers might give the offensive player of the year to Charles, and the MVP to Peyton.

But to me, it should be reversed. Jamaal Charles is the only reason why that Chiefs offense is what it is. He has accounted for 38.4% of the entire Chiefs yards from scrimmage.

Peyton does make people around him better...but there is an insane amount of talent on that team. If you ask the most common NFL fan to name five Chiefs offensive players, how many are going to be successful?

and McCoy is averaging 18-19 per game

Manning is averaging over 5 more pts per game over any other QB

and McCoy is averaging 18-19 per game

Manning is averaging over 5 more pts per game over any other QB

This is exactly right. It is hard enough for a RB to win the award compared to a QB. For a RB to win they need to be head and shoulders above all other players at the same position, like AP last year. Charles doesn't fit that category but Manning does.

• Like 1

Tom Brady is singlehandedly holding the Patriots together.

No defense.

No Receivers

Decimated O-line

Fumbling and injured RBs

no, Brady won't win the MVP but he's more valuable to his team right now than any other player.

The Pats have an outside shot at a playoff bye week - without Brady they're a 6 to 8 win team.

Come on Ryan, we are trying to have a real conversation here.

I would love for Kirk Cousins to light it up these next two weeks and get the MVP. But that would belong in the "crazy a$$ homer picks for MVP" thread.

Reality - Peyton. Honorable mentions to Wilson, Brady, Rivers.

Fantasy - Charles. Honorable mentions to Peyton, Mega, McCoy and quite a few others.

Come on Ryan, we are trying to have a real conversation here.

I would love for Kirk Cousins to light it up these next two weeks and get the MVP. But that would belong in the "crazy a$$ homer picks for MVP" thread.

I am being very real.

I understand his stats are not going to get him in the conversation.

And there's always a debate over what "MVP" should be/mean... if we are talking about a player who is most valuable to his team, a player who's team would be nowhere without him, this year may be Brady's most valuable ever. The team around him has fallen apart - injured, jailed, fumbled, left via free agency - yet NE is still a winning team, in the thick of it all. Brady is the reason.

or is this just a fantasy numbers discussion about Most Valuable? is this just a stats discussion?

I am being very real.

I understand his stats are not going to get him in the conversation.

And there's always a debate over what "MVP" should be/mean... if we are talking about a player who is most valuable to his team, a player who's team would be nowhere without him, this year may be Brady's most valuable ever. The team around him has fallen apart - injured, jailed, fumbled, left via free agency - yet NE is still a winning team, in the thick of it all. Brady is the reason.

or is this just a fantasy numbers discussion about Most Valuable? is this just a stats discussion?

For all the reasons you stated I would say belichek is the most valuable to that team. We all saw how much it hurt the pats when Brady went down for a season and he wasn't adding 6-8 games. Belichek is a genius who has set up a system to be successful no matter who is put in there.

For all the reasons you stated I would say belichek is the most valuable to that team. We all saw how much it hurt the pats when Brady went down for a season and he wasn't adding 6-8 games. Belichek is a genius who has set up a system to be successful no matter who is put in there.

Perhaps you are right there. It is difficult to see how the credit should be divided between Brady and Belichick.

Would you make a case for Belichick as coach of the year then? Yes, Andy Reid will run away with it - I don't expect Belichik to be in the mix. But then it is perplexing that neither Brady or Belichik is in the running for either awards. :dunno:

Brady has an 88.1 passer rating behind the likes of Kaepernick, Matt Ryan, Cutler, and Roethlisberger.

Sorry, Brady should be no where near the MVP trophy.

He shouldn't even be in the Pro Bowl either as Manning, Rivers, and Roethlisberger are all having better years.