Sign in to follow this  
Breesman32

Lessons learned from ff

Mock drafting doesnt help. I did a lot of mock drafts prior to this draft and when the draft happened none of it went as planned. Rodgers was 10th, Brees was 17th, and Manning was 27th and Brady 28th. Also the mocks are different for each site. Some mocks have players ranked higher and next year if I do a mock I don't think NFL.com will be it(where my league is).

Draft top five caliber positional players before they are gone. Its important to have depth at each position but no positions are completely filled before the season. My mistake was drafting a rb that wasnt a top 5(MJD) over the best TE in the game or 3rd ranked qb. Also no more getting a receiver from a team who isnt a proven pass offense even if said player was a no.1 receiver(Wallace).

My draft should have been:Lynch, Cobb, Graham, Luck, Welker or Nelson instead of Lynch, Cobb, MJD, Luck, and Wallace.

Ignore the experts. Every year is different, many rbs that did well the year before are not guaranteed to do well again and should know which ones are proven and unproven. Spiller was unproven and so was Martin. I am glad I didnt pick at a spot where I could have landed Richardson though then I would have gained a top receiver or QB.

Hindsight has 20/20 vision. The best thing the mocks prepared me for was picking up Gio B in the 8th round and Cameron Jordan in the 10th.

The busts of this season may be the nice picks everyone waits on next season and are drafted late, like this year's Fred Jackson or Knowshon Moreno.

Who would have thought that some of the first round RB picks would be busts, with through injuries or playing below expectations? Martin, Foster, Spiller, Morris, TRich, Ridley, and Rice were taken in the first round or early in the second in most leagues. You can make yourself crazy second guessing, just be happy if you drafted Charles, McCoy, Lynch, or Forte.

Mock drafting doesn't help. I did a lot of mock drafts prior to this draft and when the draft happened none of it went as planned. Rodgers was 10th, Brees was 17th, and Manning was 27th and Brady 28th. Also the mocks are different for each site. Some mocks have players ranked higher and next year if I do a mock I don't think NFL.com will be it(where my league is).

Draft top five caliber positional players before they are gone. Its important to have depth at each position but no positions are completely filled before the season. My mistake was drafting a rb that wasn't a top 5(MJD) over the best TE in the game or 3rd ranked qb. Also no more getting a receiver from a team who isnt a proven pass offense even if said player was a no.1 receiver(Wallace).

My draft should have been:Lynch, Cobb, Graham, Luck, Welker or Nelson instead of Lynch, Cobb, MJD, Luck, and Wallace.

Ignore the experts. Every year is different, many rbs that did well the year before are not guaranteed to do well again and should know which ones are proven and unproven. Spiller was unproven and so was Martin. I am glad I didnt pick at a spot where I could have landed Richardson though then I would have gained a top receiver or QB.

said it over and over this past off season no mocks they really do not help . do them just for fun .. and always always do our own home work .

I like to do a few mocks the day before our draft. I have all my research done by then, but trends can change. Usually the first 8 rds are pretty predictable. But this year I grabbed Gio a little earlier because he was trending up in some of the mocks. After I grabbed him, 2 of my league mates gave me the look of "he was my next pick".

Bottom line, mocks won't give you the exact draft position, but they may show some trends that might help.

Next year I'm drafting BPA pretty much throughout regardless of position. In my one league I am starting two RBs I drafted in the last two rounds: Moreno and Bell. I sure would like to have Calvin and Demaryus over TRich and CJ2K! :doh:

I think mocks are extremely helpful. I look at it as practice. If I do 20 or so mocks, I have given myself 20 different scenarios of how to adapt my drafting strategy depending on what happens during the draft. I feel more prepared to zig when everyone else is zagging the more mocks I do. Of course my real draft isn't going to be like the mock, I wouldn't expect it to be. I feel like I'm prepared for more possibilities if I have done enough mocks. Inevitably someone unexpected falls further than I expect, and I can usually take advantage. I always end up with better teams in my real drafts than I do in mocks, so if I can consistently mock what I think is a solid team, I go into the real draft with confidence that I'm going to be a contender every single year. Also, when I analyze the team I mocked, I don't get caught up in who exactly I drafted, I look more at the tier of player available at each pick. If I chose to go RB in round 2, I look at how that affected my choices at all positions in future rounds (again, thinking in terms of tier of players) then I look at the draft and see how it could have worked out had I selected a different position (not player) at that pick. I do that for every pick in about the first half of the mock. When it comes time to select backups, kickers and such mocks don't really help so much (but it does help with sleepers) Again, look at tier of players when you mock, you don't really have to worry about player A vs player B until your real draft.

Next year I'm drafting BPA pretty much throughout regardless of position.

This.

I preach it every year, to no avail.

And don't be afraid to reach. I reached for P. Manning in every draft where I thought there might be a chance that he wouldn't come back to me (1st round twice). Despite expert predictions, I just could not ignore the weapons he had at his disposal. Trust your instincts.

This.

I preach it every year, to no avail.

And don't be afraid to reach. I reached for P. Manning in every draft where I thought there might be a chance that he wouldn't come back to me (1st round twice). Despite expert predictions, I just could not ignore the weapons he had at his disposal. Trust your instincts.

I have had great success since I started "going with my instinct". Fock value...for the most part. I draft or bid for players I covet. Some years this will blow up in my face but more often then not it works.

Does anyone have any advice for draft newbies? Curious how folks rank their players and who you pick in a given round? This year I ended up with Calvin Johnson, Dez Bryant, Tony Romo, Steven Jackson (bust), Matthew Stafford and Vernon Davis, though those were all "I think this is the right pick" moves. Next year I would like to be a bit more focused and have some type of plan in place prior to drafting. :)

Don't ever expect that the team you draft with be the same, even halfway through the season. Things always change, whether it be injuries or unexpected performances , good ( like Zac Stacy and Nick Foles) or bad ( Trent and Roddy White).

Don't assume things. There may be hidden gems out there hiding on the waiver wire. Every once and awhile, do a search for all available players at the skill positions. It may surprise you. I've gotten Leveon Bell. Alshon Jeffery (including in one league THIS WEEK), Eddie Lacy, Knowshon Mereno, Pierre Thomas, Gronk, Andre Brown, Keenan Allen, Kendall Wright and yesterday Eric Decker on waivers during the season and on some was totally surprised they were out there for free.

I have to stop drafting washed up vets late in draft (guys like miles Austin)

Have to stop thinking I can wait one more round. Take the guy you want when he is there don't risk and wait

I will be targeting gronk/graham and brees/peyton in next years draft. No more rb-rb or rb-wr for this guy

Starting a player on hunch over reason rarely works.

But when it does, it sure is sweet.

I think we're going to finally see the big shift away from the RB dominated philosophy of fantasy football that has been the conventional wisdom since the beginning. We've entered an era where a team that is loaded at QB and WR/TE while having just a couple of serviceable RBs can not only be competitive, it can actually dominate.

I have to stop drafting washed up vets late in draft (guys like miles Austin)

Have to stop thinking I can wait one more round. Take the guy you want when he is there don't risk and wait

Agree completely. I think I finally changed this strategy this year. Move away from the aging "stars" and draft younger with upside. IMO next year.....do you draft Marshal or target Jeffries? Though I am a huge Marshal fan I think you hold tight..Let teams overpay for Marshal, and reap the benefits when you draft Alshon.

The NFL is a young man's game.

+1

This works for me. Last year, I instituted a "no old burned out dudes" on my team rule. I won't draft anyone over 30 unless its a QB or kicker.

Great results so far. :)

• Draft young
  • Draft a top tier gunslinging (+4000yds) passing QB
  • Only 60% of top 10 RB live up to the ranking so I never draft RB>RB
  • WR is the most inconsistent position week to week. so I always go for at least 2 of the top 8 WR.
  • Don't bench your studs
  • get depth and value thru waiver wire every week
  • When looking for upside pay attention to jobs available first( mediocre,old,ineffective staters) for the taking then see who on the roster that look promising see (Ellington,Stacy,Andre Brown,

:first:

• Like 1

• Draft young
  • Draft a top tier gunslinging (+4000yds) passing QB
  • Only 60% of top 10 RB live up to the ranking so I never draft RB>RB
  • WR is the most inconsistent position week to week. so I always go for at least 2 of the top 8 WR.
  • Don't bench your studs
  • get depth and value thru waiver wire every week
  • When looking for upside pay attention to jobs available first( mediocre,old,ineffective staters) for the taking then see who on the roster that look promising see (Ellington,Stacy,Andre Brown,

:first:

Good list. I would move drafting a high caliber QB as the number 1 bullet.

That it is 100% luck...

But I have been saying this for years...

90%

I think we're going to finally see the big shift away from the RB dominated philosophy of fantasy football that has been the conventional wisdom since the beginning. We've entered an era where a team that is loaded at QB and WR/TE while having just a couple of serviceable RBs can not only be competitive, it can actually dominate.

This...My starting line up consists of ....And im second in points and own the best record

Stafford

trent

Sjax

Andre

Alshon

V-jax

V-davis

Chiefs

Walsh

Trust my gut, especially when it comes to the waiver wire, and don't "wait a week to see if it was a fluke".

Foles, Cooper, Jeffrey are three that I missed this season because of that approach.

Stop making trades just for the sake of making trades. A few weeks ago I "upgraded" at QB from Wilson to Stafford, all for the reasonable price of Josh Gordon... who can also be kept in the 9th next year. Ouchie. Stafford is surely an improvement and Wilson could potentially sit out week 16 if SEA keeps winning, but I sure could have used those 40+ points this week.

Fantasy football is also more fun when you go to battle with a home grown team. I've made so many trades that I barely recognize it anymore. Even if my team is better on paper, winning is just less satisfying. Trading is fun too, but I am going to try to go that route only to address "needs" next year instead of "wants."

Also 100% agreement with anyone who said the NFL is a young man's game. I've been doing this for 2 years now, but I don't think I'll be drafting anyone over 28 next year (excluding QBs). You'll hit more than you'll miss with that method.

Hindsight has 20/20 vision. The best thing the mocks prepared me for was picking up Gio B in the 8th round and Cameron Jordan in the 10th.

The busts of this season may be the nice picks everyone waits on next season and are drafted late, like this year's Fred Jackson or Knowshon Moreno.

Who would have thought that some of the first round RB picks would be busts, with through injuries or playing below expectations? Martin, Foster, Spiller, Morris, TRich, Ridley, and Rice were taken in the first round or early in the second in most leagues. You can make yourself crazy second guessing, just be happy if you drafted Charles, McCoy, Lynch, or Forte.

take a close look at the former ones and the latter ones. Martin, Spiller, Morris, TRich, and Ridley all had only one proven year and thats it. Ridley has been on a team where a rb has not been solid back to back years but he did start coming around. Martin is on a team who hasnt experienced winning enough and the bucs early on wanted to make a statement on defense which forces opposing defenses to play harder to stay ahead or in the game. Spiller would have done well again if Fitz was still on the bills. The bills changed coaches and QBs and everyone knew to prepare for Spiller too before the season started. Morris was on the redskins enough said. TRich? Again, new coaching and new system but he would have done well had he stayed with Cleveland. Rice was bound to fail when the ravens run was over. And while there's still a chance that door is about to be shut in two weeks. Those Rbs, save for JC, all came off good offensive teams. McCoy already has done it back to back years so that has helped him deal with changes. Reid's coaching and system has helped JC who was ranked lower though than he should due to having injury history. Forte also has been around a while. the newer backs should be taken wit caution if they are coming off of one solid year and then a new coach comes along and new QB. That disrupts the offense more than people think. Spiller had two good years but he's dealt with timeshare problems and it was this year he was the true starter and teams were to take him serious. I think Jackson has benefitted from the bills playing tougher run defenses early in the year who focused on Spiller. That helped Jackson regain his rhythym.

Value, value, value.

Low investment, high return.

One week matters - if you think a player will go off next week, then get him now.

If you think a player is tanking for a whole season, then trade him away now. Don't wait a week for it to be evident to all.

This...My starting line up consists of ....And im second in points and own the best record

Stafford

trent

Sjax

Andre

Alshon

V-jax

V-davis

Chiefs

Walsh

Cmon man, i know its the internet but u have 0 Rbs and Alshon wasnt a factor til sometime into the season. Trent and Sjax didnt carry u to best record and second most points. Andre didnt even score until a few weeks ago and Vjax is about as inconsistent as it gets. Theres no way this team had second most points. Best record ok yea things can happen, but most points, no way.