Sign in to follow this  
The Frontrunner

Splitting the Pot?

Ok, this morning I received a email from the other Championship team suggesting that we share the pot of 1st and 2nd. What the heck!

My team is the top scoring team in the league, averaging over 100 points per week. I am very confident my team will win but you never know for sure.

I say play it out and hope for 1st but be willing to accept 2nd. His proposal seems like youth sports where everyone gets a trophy.

Anyone ever gotten this proposal?

What is difference in prize money? Is it all or nothing?

It turned out that the two guys that made the finals in our league last year split the pot. They are close friends. They didn't tell me or my co-commish until we all hung out a couple months later.

My take: its a limp-peen move. I didn't think they did anything wrong, and neither of us were mad about it and they are both in the league agian this year. But its certainly on the wrong side of sportsmanship and would never catch me agreeing to split the pot.

It turned out that the two guys that made the finals in our league last year split the pot. They are close friends. They didn't tell me or my co-commish until we all hung out a couple months later.

My take: its a limp-peen move. I didn't think they did anything wrong, and neither of us were mad about it and they are both in the league agian this year. But its certainly on the wrong side of sportsmanship and would never catch me agreeing to split the pot.

If it was 10k or nothing you wouldn't split?

• Like 1

It happens more than you would think. Our league is 80 / 20 to 1st and 2nd the difference is fairly large. $4,200 is collected, 14 teams $300 per team; less draft party expenses which can total $1,000 easy. $3,200 at 80% is $2,560 vs $640.

It happens more than you would think. Our league is 80 / 20 to 1st and 2nd the difference is fairly large. $4,200 is collected, 14 teams $300 per team; less draft party expenses which can total $1,000 easy. $3,200 at 80% is $2,560 vs $640.

I would split $3200 in a heartbeat

• Like 1

I would split $3200 in a heartbeat

For most of us in the league, going on 25 years now (started in 1989) it's not bout the money. That usually goes to the wives, its more about talking for the next 12 months.

• Like 1

I've had the same proposed to me. $500 for first and $300 for second, so I elected not to split. If the payout was larger (like a couple gs) then I might reconsider, but I'm more the 'you start yours and I'll start mine and let the chips fall where they may' kinda guy. It's logical for certain, just not usually worthy one imo. Some are fine with that and others are very against it. YMMV

Well, the money belongs to 1st and 2nd. They can do WHATEVER they want with it.

My old league grew into a pretty spendy league... was about $13k in prize money. Chopping the pot happened about a quarter/third of our seasons.

Happens in poker tourney's all the time... but that's more about saving time.

I try to refrain from making derogatory comments about what people do with their money.

For most of us in the league, going on 25 years now (started in 1989) it's not bout the money. That usually goes to the wives, its more about talking ###### for the next 12 months.

You still play the game you still get glory duh

• Like 1

I'm in two leagues, the first is spilt 70/30 and the second is 60/30/10. Wouldn't split under under any total dollar amount.

All or nothing? Unless we are talking thousands I wouldn't split it either. In ten years of fantasy sports I've never been in an all or nothing pot.

If your team it to the finals your doing something right.

In my league 4 teams make the playoffs. 3 divisions. Top team from each division and best record of remaining teams make it. My team was the wild card team, so I was put up against the highest ranking division winner (also from my division). Well he and I were far and away #1 and #2 in points scored for the season so it's kinda sh!tty that we have to match up in the first round and one of us will be knocked into the consolation pool. Because of this we made a deal where if one of us wins the entire league, that person will fork over a small portion of the winnings to the other guy. The difference between winning the league and 4th place is $750 or $50. So we agreed that being the two best teams and possibly ending up with $50 would not be right. If The winner this week loses next week then we just keep what we each earned in the playoffs.

In my money league this year, I've already got $150.00 (10 teams @ $60) for Regular season champ (#1 seed} so I'm already in the black. The SB Champ gets $250 and the runner up gets $150 so I won't be entertaining a split for that. Not big money by any means but not bad for a friends league.

Whoever wins the actual match will STILL have bragging rights. If it were all or none for a $1,000 or more, focking A bubba I'd split that in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

On occasion I've had people split the 1st & 2nd prize money. Don't see anything wrong with it. If both people agree they deserve to do what they want with the money. Who am I to tell them no. They have to get a certain % ? But if either decides to not split then yeah 80/20. The two in the finals should get to decide. In the leagues I'm the commish we all know each other and it's not really about the money. That's just icing on the cake. It's more about bragging rights. But I can see that around Christmas time splitting the money is a good idea both teams get a nice chunk of change for the holidays both people happy.

Good Luck !

Exactly, if it's not thousands what's the point. It will be the only time you feel like crap for winning, thinking damn I could have had x amount more.

In my league 4 teams make the playoffs. 3 divisions. Top team from each division and best record of remaining teams make it. My team was the wild card team, so I was put up against the highest ranking division winner (also from my division). Well he and I were far and away #1 and #2 in points scored for the season so it's kinda sh!tty that we have to match up in the first round and one of us will be knocked into the consolation pool. Because of this we made a deal where if one of us wins the entire league, that person will fork over a small portion of the winnings to the other guy. The difference between winning the league and 4th place is $750 or $50. So we agreed that being the two best teams and possibly ending up with $50 would not be right. If The winner this week loses next week then we just keep what we each earned in the playoffs.

My league is set up the same way, with each team in the division playing each other twice (6 games) and the other divisions once (8 games). We institued a seeding rule like the MLB where the wildcard can't play a team in its own division round one after the first year. Everyone agreed it was a good idea

Wow, I'd say screw the $1000 draft party. I'm sure your leaguemates are real cool to hang out with, but I'd rather that money stay in the pot so I can win it.

The total pot for 1st and 2nd is only $775---450 for 1st, 325 for 2nd. So we're not getting rich but i'd rather play it out and that's what I think i'm going to tell him.

If it was a bigger pot with a larger difference then I would possibly agree. So thanks for all the feedback!

Wow, I'd say screw the $1000 draft party. I'm sure your leaguemates are real cool to hang out with, but I'd rather that money stay in the pot so I can win it.

Sounds like a helluva party though. Some people/leagues are more about the friendship, shiat-talking, and pride than the money... and some of those leagues have owners with enough disposable income that throwing down an extra $100 for a league party is nothing.

"It's not a real draft party 'til somebody starts getting pick advice from the strippers."

Our league is around $1,200 and the official line is 2nd place gets $75 and winner gets the rest but every year its usually a 75-25 or 60-40 split. I won the last 2 years and we did a 60-40 split.

I would never split the pot outright... I would offer to make the payout within a few hundred dollars (depending on the total prize amount). You never know what is going to happen in fantasy.

For most of us in the league, going on 25 years now (started in 1989) it's not bout the money. That usually goes to the wives, its more about talking ###### for the next 12 months.

This. It's never been about the money in our league, it's about smack 12 months long. Loser this..Lose that..Dumbass coach...Dumbass draft...it's all about the smack.

So many people on this board talk about FF being luck. If you say it is luck then you split. If you think it is skill then you have to think your skill will take you to the promise land. You do not split. I am on the side of luck and take the split every time.

I've always split the Championship pot except for one time where the other guy declined the offer......thank goodness I beat him and took the entire pot (only the Champ won the money in that league). I always chop the pot when I play poker tournaments in Vegas, too. If I'm making more money than I put in, I'm happy.

Splitting the pot doesn't bother me. But we have a guy in our league who'll bust the splitters' balls for the entire draft the following season if he gets wind there was a split.

"Well, since we didn't have a champion last season!!!..."

"No name on the championship trophy for last season!!!"

My take: its a limp-peen move. But its certainly on the wrong side of sportsmanship and would never catch me agreeing to split the pot.

how judgmental of you.

I have heard of it but in my league it's never come up as far as I know. The dif between $700 and $500 is not enough to make worth the while.

I have no issue with it. The money is a bonus, the trophy is for bragging.

I split it. Pot is small as well, I'd rather guarantee myself a bit more. I do not see what the big deal is. The team that wins is the champion still. Not about the $ in our league as the pot is quite small. It's about winning.

Splitting the pot doesn't bother me. But we have a guy in our league who'll bust the splitters' balls for the entire draft the following season if he gets wind there was a split.

"Well, since we didn't have a champion last season!!!..."

"No name on the championship trophy for last season!!!"

Tell him to get into the championship then... and there won't be a problem.

So many people on this board talk about FF being luck. If you say it is luck then you split. If you think it is skill then you have to think your skill will take you to the promise land. You do not split. I am on the side of luck and take the split every time.

Same here, I think it's all luck so of course I'll take the split.

Also talking over fantasy? lol that sounds like a group of beta males to begin with. I dunno why anybody would put up with it. I do it at the request of friends sometimes because I'm really good at it, but if you've got high achieving friends eventually nobody will want anything to do with you over it, and it just becomes a sort of understanding that everybody just shuts up.

I've never actually met anybody that can take the talk, everybody just wants to dish it then gets all hurt and angry when they get talked back.

I have been in five title games in the last four years, I've been offered to split the pot by the team that I was favored against. I mean I was a big favorite, and was able to win all three times. The two times I was not the favorite I was NOT contacted about splitting the pot and have no desire to approach the other with that offer either. Won one and lost one. Seems to me only from experience that the underdog wants to reach out and salvage more money when they don't think that they could take the title.

just my $.02

Manage the delta.

We have a $2,000 championship game where first gets $1,500 and second gets $500.

Last year, the two teams in the championship had pretty even teams. They both agreed to guarantee themselves $800 and play for the extra $400. It doesn't have to be a 50/50 proposition or nothing! As commish, I told them I would cut checks based on the by-laws and you can settle up amongst yourselves but I had no problem w/ what they did.

usually dont agree with it unless disparity is a lot.

Guy in my office split it in one cause first was 1150 and 2nd was 200. Makes sense to do something there

I got a possible offer from the Peyton-Charles owner.

I scored 190 last week and he 150.

First place is 1,000

2nd is 350.

Think I'm gonna play it out.

I split it. Pot is small as well, I'd rather guarantee myself a bit more. I do not see what the big deal is. The team that wins is the champion still. Not about the $ in our league as the pot is quite small. It's about winning.

If it's NOT about the money, then there is LESS reason to split. Why do you want to split this tiny pot unless that tiny difference actually DOES mean something to you?

It's not anything for other league members to worry about IMO, but it's a limp wristed fear based move for people with no balls. Just my opinion of course ;)