Sign in to follow this  
Frank   M

For those of you who support a woman's right to choose

I find that conclusion highly political

Conservatives often find things like science and research to be political when they don't like the outcome. Reality has a well known liberal bias. ;)

Conservatives often find things like science and research to be political when they don't like the outcome. Reality has a well known liberal bias. ;)

Would be nice if history could say the same about liberal bias.

APA: Risk of mental illness is no worse in women who've had an abortion than women who delivered a baby.

http://www.apa.org/pi/women/programs/abortion/index.aspx

95% of women who had an abortion said it was the right decision including 89% who felt "regret."

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/4512213.html

Darn facts and science! :mad:

this is awesome! pretty soon it will be better to have fetus removed than actually giving birth! yay!!!! maybe we could get a new fad going...fetus removal bars!!! abortions...every women should try it at least once!

once we make it cool...we'll remove all regret and guilt from having one!!! sweet!

:rolleyes: fockers are borderline nuts.

• Like 1

this is awesome! pretty soon it will be better to have fetus removed than actually giving birth! yay!!!! maybe we could get a new fad going...fetus removal bars!!! abortions...every women should try it at least once!

once we make it cool...we'll remove all regret and guilt from having one!!! sweet!

:rolleyes: fockers are borderline nuts.

Tilt!

APA: Risk of mental illness is no worse in women who've had an abortion than women who delivered a baby.

The Council of Representatives of the American Psychological Association charged the Task Force on Mental Health and Abortion (TFMHA) with “collecting, examining, and summarizing the scientific research addressing the mental health factors associated with abortion, including the psychological responses following abortion, and producing a report based upon a review of the most current research.” In considering the psychological implications of abortion, the TFMHA recognized that abortion encompasses a diversity of experiences. Women obtain abortions for different reasons; at different times of gestation; via differing medical procedures; and within different personal, social, economic, and cultural contexts. All of these may lead to variability in women’s psychological reactions following abortion. Consequently, global statements about the psychological impact of abortion on women can be misleading.

The TFMHA evaluated all empirical studies published in English in peer-reviewed journals post-1989 that compared the mental health of women who had an induced abortion to the mental health of comparison groups of women (N=50) or that examined factors that predict mental health among women who have had an elective abortion in the United States (N=23). This literature was reviewed and evaluated with respect to its ability to address four primary questions:

1. Does abortion cause harm to women’s mental health?

2. How prevalent are mental health problems among women in the United States who have had an abortion?

3. What is the relative risk of mental health problems associated with abortion compared to its alternatives (other courses of action that might be taken by a pregnant woman in similar circumstances)? And,

4. What predicts individual variation in women’s psychological experiences following abortion?

A critical evaluation of the published literature revealed that the majority of studies suffered from methodological problems, often severe in nature. Given the state of the literature, a simple calculation of effect sizes or count of the number of studies that showed an effect in one direction versus another was considered inappropriate. The quality of the evidence that produced those effects must be considered to avoid misleading conclusions. Accordingly, the TFMHA emphasized the studies it judged to be most methodologically rigorous to arrive at its conclusions.

The best scientific evidence published indicates that among adult women who have an unplanned pregnancy the relative risk of mental health problems is no greater if they have a single elective first-trimester abortion than if they deliver that pregnancy. The evidence regarding the relative mental health risks associated with multiple abortions is more equivocal. Positive associations observed between multiple abortions and poorer mental health may be linked to co-occurring risks that predispose a woman to both multiple unwanted pregnancies and mental health problems.

The few published studies that examined women’s responses following an induced abortion due to fetal abnormality suggest that terminating a wanted pregnancy late in pregnancy due to fetal abnormality appears to be associated with negative psychological reactions equivalent to those experienced by women who miscarry a wanted pregnancy or who experience

a stillbirth or death of a newborn, but less than those who deliver a child with life-threatening abnormalities.

The differing patterns of psychological experiences observed among women who terminate an unplanned pregnancy versus those who terminate a planned and wanted pregnancy highlight the importance of taking pregnancy intendedness and wantedness into account when seeking to understand psychological reactions to abortion.

None of the literature reviewed adequately addressed the prevalence of mental health problems among women in the United States who have had an abortion. In general, however, the prevalence of mental health problems observed among women in the United States who had a single, legal, first-trimester abortion for nontherapeutic reasons was consistent with normative rates of comparable mental health problems in the general population of women in the United States.

Nonetheless, it is clear that some women do experience sadness, grief, and feelings of loss following termination of a pregnancy, and some experience clinically significant disorders, including depression and anxiety. However, the TFMHA reviewed no evidence sufficient to support the claim that an observed association between abortion history and mental health was caused by the abortion per se, as opposed to other factors.

This review identified several factors that are predictive of more negative psychological responses following first-trimester abortion among women in the United States. Those factors included:

• Perceptions of stigma, need for secrecy, and low or anticipated social support for the abortion decision;

• A prior history of mental health problems;

• Personality factors such as low self-esteem and use of avoidance and denial coping strategies; and

• Characteristics of the particular pregnancy, including the extent to which the woman wanted and felt committed to it.

Across studies, prior mental health emerged as the strongest predictor of postabortion mental health. Many of these same factors also predict negative psychological reactions to other types of stressful life events, including childbirth, and, hence, are not uniquely predictive of psychological responses following abortion.

Well-designed, rigorously conducted scientific research would help disentangle confounding factors and establish relative risks of abortion compared to its alternatives, as well as factors associated with variation among women in their responses following abortion. Even so, there is unlikely to be a single definitive research study that will determine the mental health implications of abortion “once and for all” given the diversity and complexity of women and their circumstances.

APA Task Force on Mental Health and Abortion. (2008). Report of the APA Task Force on Mental Health and Abortion. Washington, D.C.: Author.

To summarize:

- Most of the studies we looked at sucked.

- There is no evidence of increased mental health issues with a single abortion in the first trimester.

- There is evidence of mental health issues with multiple abortions, but we can't say it is due to multiple abortions.

- Wait, we were wrong. Every study we looked at sucked.

- Wait, there do seem to be issues, but we still can't link it to abortions.

To summarize:

- There is no evidence of increased mental health issues with a single abortion in the first trimester.

- There is evidence of mental health issues with multiple abortions, but we can't say it is due to multiple abortions.

Better summary: As a modern day "conservative," I disregard the opinions of medical experts in favor of the good ole homespun common sense of simple folk who believe the things I do. :lol:

I just googled "abortion mental health studies" and found a bunch of stuff from normal respected sites, saying varying degrees of items. It's a mixed bag of conclusions from study to study, with little understood, which leads to the controversy.

Which is why RP and a MCD can both post a link saying two different findings, yell "facts!#@!, then make a snarky remark. :eyeroll:

Better summary: As a modern day "conservative," I disregard the opinions of medical experts in favor of the good ole homespun common sense of simple folk who believe the things I do. :lol:

Do you disagree with my summary? I even bolded the parts for you. Oh well, one of us is a partisan hack. :wave:

I'm not sure what is sadder, the fact she thinks it ok to be 25 and use an abortion as a form of Burt control because she didn't take proper precautions, or that fact she has now mad sucking a in-born baby up in a vacuum a documentary to help teach others it ok. Disgusting, ignorant woman.

I'm borderline pro-life.... I think there are situations that make it more ok with me... Raped, 15/16 pregnant, mental illness. Then you have my coworker who's 32, has a good paying job and beautiful home, a son who's 3.... And has been banging a married / separated man w/o BC for a year. Surprise! She's pregnant, and although she wants another baby, right now is too "messy"..... Though shall not judge others, blah blah blah, I know. She has her abortion scheduled for Thursday and I'm mad over it. She's a dumb Sh!t for being stupid to begin with. You then have our boss that due to tubal pregnancies can't conceive but would die for another child.

• Like 1

Do you disagree with my summary? I even bolded the parts for you. Oh well, one of us is a partisan hack. :wave:

I'm guessing it's the one who disagrees with the conclusions of the APA. :dunno:

95% of women who had an abortion said it was the right decision including 89% who felt "regret."

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/4512213.html

Cool source. :thumbsup:

The Guttmacher Institute is a non-profit organization which works to advance reproductive health including abortion rights.

University of CA San Fran: 95% of women who've had an abortion think they made the right decision, including 88% who experienced some regret - read the report here:

http://bixbycenter.ucsf.edu/publications/files/Rocca%20et%20al%20TA%20emotions%20PSRH%202013.pdf

:thumbsup:

If it's not a Fox News or pro-life report, it's nonsensical. hth

University of CA San Fran: 95% of women who've had an abortion think they made the right decision, including 88% who experienced some regret - read the report here:

http://bixbycenter.ucsf.edu/publications/files/Rocca et al TA emotions PSRH 2013.pdf

Women who've had abortions just have to suffer in some way. They just have to. It helps confirm my moral superiority.

god forbid they have any regret over a decison like abortion. it should be as easy as picking out what shoes to wear!! it's like stepping on an ant!

So are sluts who've had abortions > or = to the bravery and heroism of gay dudes ?

obummers next press conference will let you know

So you guys who oppose abortion. Is it all abortions? A yes or no will work. I'm just curious.

http://bixbycenter.ucsf.edu/publications/files/Rocca%20et%20al%20TA%20emotions%20PSRH%202013.pdf

Without reading the link this makes sense. Most women feel they made the right decision, but they viewed it as the lesser of two evils, so most also feel some regret.

To summarize:

LOL. Something tells me they had their conclusion long before they contoured their analysis to suit it.

Without reading the link this makes sense. Most women feel they made the right decision, but they viewed it as the lesser of two evils, so most also feel some regret.

The entire "study" was them asking women 1 week after having an abortion. That's the only data point they have.

#science

It just doesn't make sense, you see military PTSD proliferating as we become more attune to mental health, and it just makes no sense that there is zero stress disorders from voluntarily going through something like this...

Sounds like more denialism.

So you guys who oppose abortion. Is it all abortions? A yes or no will work. I'm just curious.

yes

Women who've had abortions just have to suffer in some way. They just have to. It helps confirm my moral superiority.

Except for liberal women. I suspect they get pregnant on purpose just so they have an excuse to kill a baby. I bet they have un-birthday parties every year to celebrate the occasion.

#science

It just doesn't make sense, you see military PTSD proliferating as we become more attune to mental health, and it just makes no sense that there is zero stress disorders from voluntarily going through something like this...

Sounds like more denialism.

Who am I going to believe: the American Psychiatric Association's review of research or a pro lifer who thinks it just "doesn't make sense" that women don't experience lifelong PTSD type symptoms from going through a minor surgical procedure?

That's a toughie.

If 88% have regret for making the right decision imagine how they feel if they make a wrong one. Lucky for them, it was the right one. :doublethumbsup:

i oppose tax dollars being used to fund and promote the taking of "innocent" human life.

i oppose tax dollars being used to fund and promote the taking of "innocent" human life.

So do you oppose abortions if it's paid for by the patient?

Except for liberal women. I suspect they get pregnant on purpose just so they have an excuse to kill a baby. I bet they have un-birthday parties every year to celebrate the occasion.

yeah or they make feel good documentaries about the whole process!

nope, though i do consider it wrong in most instances

Who am I going to believe: the American Psychiatric Association's review of research or a pro lifer who thinks it just "doesn't make sense" that women don't experience lifelong PTSD type symptoms from going through a minor surgical procedure?

That's a toughie.

I'm not 100% pro life, I am just closer to that side of the scale than the [cartman] 'I do what I WANT! [/cartman] its my body bs.... I see it as a sometimes necessary evil

If 88% have regret for making the right decision imagine how they feel if they make a wrong one. Lucky for them, it was the right one. :doublethumbsup:

I said 88% of women who had regret still thought it was the right decision. I didn't say 88% had regret.

HTH?

I'm not 100% pro life, I am just closer to that side of the scale than the [cartman] 'I do what I WANT! [/cartman] its my body bs.... I see it as a sometimes necessary evil

So your ok with it in some instances? Like rape or incest type? Or what?

This is the part that everyone should agree on with the implementation of the Affordable Care Act. Everyone, by law, must have health insurance. And the poor now has access to subsidized health insurance.

So why again do we need federal funds going to places like Planned Parenthood anymore? That process is now antiquated. It's double booking, its wasteful spending in a time of high debts and gov't deficitits. Forget the social question, with Obamacare its a no brainer from a fiscal / budget / common sense point of view.

So your ok with it in some instances? Like rape or incest type? Or what?

add a threat to the life of the mother to that list. By the way,what percent of abortions are performed due to those circumstances?

I would guess it's miniscule.