Sign in to follow this  
TimHauck

Third Year WR's

Is this still a thing that people talk about?

If so, who are this year's potential breakout candidate WR's in their third year? I just drafted Rueben Randle without realizing it was his third year...who else ya got?

Now that it's a passing dominated league in college and the pros I think wrs come out better prepared for success early. Plus the nfl rules make it easier on Wrs. I look at year two guys now with the same o coordinator.

interesting article:

http://www.footballdocs.com/three_year_receivers.html

Also has an article about second year WR's, noting that "While the statistical mean, median, and mode indicate the third year is optimum, there is a statistically significant portion of two year wide receivers that have had a breakout season entering their second year in the league."

For third-year WR's they list the guys with the most upside as being: Michael Floyd, Kendall Wright, and Randle

And for second-year WR's they list the guys with the most upside as being: Hopkins, Patterson, Dobson, T. Williams, Stills

interesting article:

http://www.footballdocs.com/three_year_receivers.html

Also has an article about second year WR's, noting that "While the statistical mean, median, and mode indicate the third year is optimum, there is a statistically significant portion of two year wide receivers that have had a breakout season entering their second year in the league."

For third-year WR's they list the guys with the most upside as being: Michael Floyd, Kendall Wright, and Randle

And for second-year WR's they list the guys with the most upside as being: Hopkins, Patterson, Dobson, T. Williams, Stills

I am pretty heavily invested in Floyd this year. Took him ahead of Roddy, AJ and that group. Same with Patterson.

I also really like Hopkins and T. Williams. T Will is in a much better situation, but I don't think Fitz is any worse than Schaub. He'll be able to at least toss the ball in Nuke's general vicinity. lol

I am a Giants fan and am not super high on Randle. He seems out of sync with Eli. A lot of Eli's interceptions last year were due to miscommunication with Randle. I saw the same thing this year in preseason. How they could still not be on the same page is beyond me. That being said, he should still have a pretty good year. He's pretty much our only red zone option. And with Beckham not being able to get on the field at all, he should see plenty of targets.

For better or worse, I want not part of Wright. I am completely comfortable letting other people take him.

I am pretty heavily invested in Floyd this year. Took him ahead of Roddy, AJ and that group. Same with Patterson.

I also really like Hopkins and T. Williams. T Will is in a much better situation, but I don't think Fitz is any worse than Schaub. He'll be able to at least toss the ball in Nuke's general vicinity. lol

I am a Giants fan and am not super high on Randle. He seems out of sync with Eli. A lot of Eli's interceptions last year were due to miscommunication with Randle. I saw the same thing this year in preseason. How they could still not be on the same page is beyond me. That being said, he should still have a pretty good year. He's pretty much our only red zone option. And with Beckham not being able to get on the field at all, he should see plenty of targets.

For better or worse, I want not part of Wright. I am completely comfortable letting other people take him.

Nice homer analysis on the G men. That's what I value most about this bored. Also, IF I took a Titan at WR it'd be Justin Hunter not Wright.

This year's candidates;

Drake London

Garrett Wilson

Chris Olave

Jameson Williams

Jahan Dotson

Treylon Burks

Christian Watson

WanDale Robinson

John Metchie

Tyquan Thornton

George Pickens

Alec Pierce

Skyy Moore

ok the third year wr thread is usually done to find WR who were not overly relevant fantasy wise and project a breakout.

Pickens, Wilson and Olave have already broken out.  no need to discuss them.

personally I like London's chances of a breakout   Also Wandale Robinson and Christian Watson

Jameson Williams has a shot but hes more of a coin toss given the team he is on

I'd have to do some research on the rest.

38 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

This year's candidates;

Drake London

Garrett Wilson

Chris Olave

Jameson Williams

Jahan Dotson

Treylon Burks

Christian Watson

WanDale Robinson

John Metchie

Tyquan Thornton

George Pickens

Alec Pierce

Skyy Moore

30 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

ok the third year wr thread is usually done to find WR who were not overly relevant fantasy wise and project a breakout.

Pickens, Wilson and Olave have already broken out.  no need to discuss them.

personally I like London's chances of a breakout   Also Wandale Robinson and Christian Watson

Jameson Williams has a shot but hes more of a coin toss given the team he is on

I'd have to do some research on the rest.

it definitely seems like it isn't taking at least 2 or 3 guys each year to be productive at the nfl level prior to year 3, when before it was only guys like Randy Moss who did every so often.  Maybe college offensives are becoming more complex and more like the NFL?  Still, it would stand to reason that a couple of the guys on that list exceed expectations this year.  I can't see it being Skyy Moore cause he seems to suck and is now stuck behind Hollywood Brown, Xavier Worthy and Rashee Rice.

30 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

it definitely seems like it isn't taking at least 2 or 3 guys each year to be productive at the nfl level prior to year 3, when before it was only guys like Randy Moss who did every so often.  Maybe college offensives are becoming more complex and more like the NFL?  Still, it would stand to reason that a couple of the guys on that list exceed expectations this year.  I can't see it being Skyy Moore cause he seems to suck and is now stuck behind Hollywood Brown, Xavier Worthy and Rashee Rice.

there are still a few players who break out in their second or third years.

though most of them are drafted in the 2nd round or later.

majority of the first round picks are now breaking out in year 1 or 2 as they are far closer to being a finished product than they used to be.

Watson just needs to stay healthy. 

4 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

This year's candidates;

Drake London

Garrett Wilson

Chris Olave

Jameson Williams

Jahan Dotson

Treylon Burks

Christian Watson

WanDale Robinson

John Metchie

Tyquan Thornton

George Pickens

Alec Pierce

Skyy Moore

The biggest ? on that list to me, Treylon Burks...

The Titans have never been an ideal place for WRs for various reasons.

They've tried to draft top not WRs but for whatever reason they've not panned out.

Kenny Britt, Corey Davis, both went to Nashville with high expectations, and both fizzled out as disappointments.

The clock is ticking on Treylon Burks to avoid that list

Nico Collins just had his 3rd year breakout, but I curious how much of it was him and how much was Stroud?  

Yes Stroud made life easier for Collins, I also think Collins being healthy helped.  This next season Collins value will be higher than it should be with the addition of both Diggs, And Mixon.  Mixon is very good in the passing game.  All three of the Texans WRs will have a tough time matching their ADP.  

13 hours ago, weepaws said:

Yes Stroud made life easier for Collins, I also think Collins being healthy helped.  This next season Collins value will be higher than it should be with the addition of both Diggs, And Mixon.  Mixon is very good in the passing game.  All three of the Texans WRs will have a tough time matching their ADP.  

Stroud does a good job distributing the ball around, so I give Diggs 4 games before he starts crying.  That said, this team will put up a lot of points and that makes Stroud and Mixon the ones you want for fantasy.  Totally agree with weepaws here.

On 4/28/2024 at 6:16 AM, Super Cubs said:

Nico Collins just had his 3rd year breakout, but I curious how much of it was him and how much was Stroud?  

most talented guys who breakout late its because of the quality of the QB.   I picked Nico in almost all of my leagues on the assumption Stroud was gonna be far better than the previous QB.   I was well rewarded for that assumption.   it also helped that he was showing signs of breaking out late the year prior.

Just now, Ray_T said:

most talented guys who breakout late its because of the quality of the QB.   I picked Nico in almost all of my leagues on the assumption Stroud was gonna be far better than the previous QB.   I was well rewarded for that assumption.   it also helped that he was showing signs of breaking out late the year prior.

the same could be said about a number of the pass catchers Cousins will be now throwing to.   lots of potential there.

18 hours ago, Ray_T said:

are you sure you don't have Nico mixed up with someone else?