Sign in to follow this  
kilroy69

ESPN suspends Bill Simmons for podcast calling Roger Goodell a 'liar'

Simmons, no stranger to discipline from ESPN, knew exactly what he was doing, and what he was risking. Elsewhere in the podcast, he effectively dared ESPN to punish him: "I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says Im in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell, because if one person says that to me, Im going public. You leave me alone. The commissioners a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast ... Please. Call me and say I'm in trouble. I dare you.

welllll they took that dare and now your down for 3 weeks without pay. Hopefully he hangs himself during his downtime. Goodell may be a liar but Bill Simmons is a giant windbag that will say anything to get people riled up.

How does this affect my fantasy football teams?

Goodell got HGH testing. All your players are about to be suspended.

• Like 1

How does this affect my fantasy football teams?

does this topic look like one that deals with your fantasy team?
  • Like 1

I heard that podcast. The delivery was a little harsh. He basically said "Goodell is a liar. This is such focking bullsh!t" which got censored. Simmons was right, but ESPN needs to watch their back too.

I heard that podcast. The delivery was a little harsh. He basically said "Goodell is a liar. This is such focking bullsh!t" which got censored. Simmons was right, but ESPN needs to watch their back too.

In what way? What Simmons said was the truth and he is a pundit, giving opinions is his job.

I'm not a fan of Simmons' shtick, but it's pretty funny for ESPN to suspend him after giving themselves such a pat on the back for their coverage. I guess there are limits to the truth.

I liked Simmons before.

Now I like him more.

Goodell is a liar.

This.

Fock Goodell.

Fock ESPN more

Simmons, no stranger to discipline from ESPN, knew exactly what he was doing, and what he was risking. Elsewhere in the podcast, he effectively dared ESPN to punish him: "I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says Im in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell, because if one person says that to me, Im going public. You leave me alone. The commissioners a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast ... Please. Call me and say I'm in trouble. I dare you.

welllll they took that dare and now your down for 3 weeks without pay. Hopefully he hangs himself during his downtime. Goodell may be a liar but Bill Simmons is a giant windbag that will say anything to get people riled up.

I've gotten a little tired of Simmons but the bolded just isn't true.

In what way? What Simmons said was the truth and he is a pundit, giving opinions is his job.

The cursing mostly. It's a pod cast associated with their network. Can't go on a profanity laced tirade.

Do not like that little twerp Simmons. He reminds me of an annoying classmate from middle school who I want to punch in the throat.

This focker Simmons thinks he knows everything, especially during his time covering the NBA. I hope the World Wide Leader never brings his punk a$$ back.

Simmons was great when he was small time writer...he became too big IMO.

It was a podcast for cryin' out loud, not like it was on tv or national radio. The man is hired by ESPN for his opinion and he's still one of the best. He's a great sports writer.

The cursing mostly. It's a pod cast associated with their network. Can't go on a profanity laced tirade.

Yeah, I did think of that, but still I thought podcasters had more latitude for that kind of thing. If that was the reason though and they have a policy about it I don't have a problem with it.

It was a podcast for cryin' out loud, not like it was on tv or national radio.

Dear SaintsInDome 2006,

In today's media-saturated market, as a public figure, it doesn't matter where or when you say something stupid, or to whom you say it. You saying something dumb, it's GONNA come back to bite you. No doubt about it.

Signed,

Mitt Romney

Tend to agree with this. Simmons was always my favorite sports writer. Still probably is. I still look forward to his opinions on major issues or happenings. But I think he is a much better writer than tv or radio personality.

It was a podcast for cryin' out loud, not like it was on tv or national radio. The man is hired by ESPN for his opinion and he's still one of the best. He's a great sports writer.

Dear SaintsInDome 2006,

In today's media-saturated market, as a public figure, it doesn't matter where or when you say something stupid, or to whom you say it. You saying something dumb, it's GONNA come back to bite you. No doubt about it.

Signed,

Mitt Romney

I think calling Goodell a flat out liar is more than defensible and not stupid at all.

The cursing, well maybe that's something else. I was talking about cursing on a pdocast, where that's pretty frequent, though maybe not for ESPN.

He was a great sports writer. Then he started doing podcasts all the time, which led to announcing, and then taking over as editor-in-chief for his own website...basically he doesn't write much anymore, and when he does you can tell he is phoning it in. In fact I suspect his stuff is mostly ghost-written now. I used to like him a lot but times have changed.

ESPN is TMZ, but without credibility.

The very last option for a sports fan is Sports Center. You only watch the network to view live sporting events or to view Chris Berman's hair line receding in real time. This is a network that got rid of Michael Irvin and replaced him with a dozen correspondents twice as retarded. Ray Rice killed somebody, but Bill Simmons bad mouthed the Commish, so you know who the ESPN scapegoat is.

ESPN deserves to be on a par with Bravo, E!, and whatever channel Obese Oprah is on.

He was a great sports writer.

IMO...going bigger watered his stuff down and he is still using the same schtick from years ago that got old years ago.

I don't think he is one of the best...and not sure how anyone could stand listening to that voice (just one of those voices...like Cowherd's...that I just can't stand to hear)

and yes...it was his podcast...don't do dumb things like dare your employer to suspend you.

3 week suspension for that is ridiculous. He's entitled to an opinion. Other ESPN broadcasters were far more deserving of longer suspensions.

Nobody can even offer an opinion anymore without a suspension? Would it have been better if he'd prefaced it with "this is just my opinion and not necessarily fact...but...

I think calling Goodell a flat out liar is more than defensible and not stupid at all.

The cursing, well maybe that's something else. I was talking about cursing on a pdocast, where that's pretty frequent, though maybe not for ESPN.

I'm with you. I don't think it was that big of a deal, and he does curse on the podcast. It's just more in the flow of guys talking. This was more of an outburst, so I can see ESPN penguins taking issue with it. I think if he just says, "Goodell is obviously a liar," he's fine. He just can't say, "Fock Goddell - that lying ass piece of focking sh!t," on an ESPN related podcast. He wasn't that bad, but he definitely wasn't ESPN friendly.