Sign in to follow this  
MoneyShot

FF is for fun?

Got talked into playing FF for first time this year since somebody had backed out, "its for fun" I was told. Its more like some kind of drug addiction. Players in your league want you to think its just for fun, some are out for blood. Once I realized the CBS projections make about as much sense as wiping before you poop, I scan 10 plus sites for that magic player info. Like I'm going to find that truly insider stat for that unknown goldmine free agent. I would not like to see my own stat for TOS time on stats or PR player research. Luckily for me I have found numerous apps on my phone allowing me to pursue my addiction anywhere I go. I only choose friends now that have Direct TV with Sunday ticket (on my list). My wife looking at me like I'm focking nuts while I'm reading and laughing out loud at weekly Fock you post. That is legit fun. Hopefully in future I can join more leagues increasing that fun factor...or ending up in the mental ward in a straight jacket mumbling random stats about football...

If you think fantasy football is fun, you should try fantasy baseball... There you have fun for EVERY day for six months...

If you think fantasy football is fun, you should try fantasy baseball... There you have fun for EVERY day for six months...

no Hoodie in fantasy baseball.

FAIL.

hth.

Winning season= This game is so much fun and im a genius! Its all skill and im just better than them!

Losing season= OMG this game is so unfair and its all luck anyway! Ugh I dont even want to watch football on sun, doesnt matter anyway.

The addiction of seeing those little numbers tick up and how needing just 8 points to beat an opponent on mon night with 1 player going is what makes the game so drug like. Make no mistake, its about 80-90% luck. Any owner who stays on top of free agency, waiver moves, knows matchups and watches football is just as good as the very best top FF pros in the world. Thats what makes the game fun for casual players, everyone has a chance to win.

I personally love the already mentally unstable people that after a few weeks start what they believe to be 'heartfelt' threads here...

You know, I can be spending more time with the kids, this is not fun, blahblahblah

Next year back, rinse and repeat. If season going well, they're on a high, patting themselves on the back for those 3 out of 20 predictions that came true...soon as it goes south, it's serious introspection. Can't even enjoy real football because of FF, etc. Why do I do this to myself. I hate my life, blahblahblah...

Dudes need real hobbies...FF is a hobby. Sure theres a few bucks involved that make it interesting, but anyone that goes on an emotional rollercoaster ride tied to their success or lack thereof in FF should really go see a shrink and get their head examined. It's not healthy...

No luck . It's all skill . And I am sticking to it

I win a lot and still consider it 90% luck.

Me too except maybe 75%

Welcome to the insane world of fantasy football.

The hobby that makes you hate the fact that you love football!

I've always said 80, I'll stick with that

I've always said 80, I'll stick with that

Why not 79 or 81?

- might I suggest a weekly visit to the always sterling "FU THREAD"?

nothing on the innerwebz - or the informational superhighway - captures the warm and fuzzies of fantasy foosball quite like that staple of this bored.

hth.

Same. It's more taking advantage of other people's stupidity with a sliding scale correlating to luck.

The stupider everyone in your league is, the less luck you need and the more it's "skill." The smarter everyone is, the higher the luck factor goes. If you can't figure out if the other people in your league are stupid or not, likely you are the stupid one.

Me too except maybe 75%

Used to be about 35-65 luck to skill ratio, before the advent of 105,942 FF sites revealing every potential sleeper known to mankind, as well as mobile apps and alerts that keeps everyone equally in the know.

Now, I would say about 58-42 luck to skill ratio. Yes, you can always get injuries and bad scheduling (am 2-4 in one league and am the highest scoring team by 50+ points), but guys that truly loves and understand football, and as a result can recognize talent/opportunity, generally eschewing PEG's (prognosticators, experts, and gurus) and having the courage to draft/play their gut.......and then annually apply this knowledge and these skills to their draft and in-season management, will win out in the long haul over the lucky.

I always go back and forth on the luck vs skill factor in fantasy. For example, I don't think it's luck that I drafted Julius Thomas, added guys like Zac Stacy and Keenan Allen weeks early through FA and made it to 3rd place last year while having my team completely decimated by injury last season.

On the flip side I remember one year I let my ex GF join my league because she wanted to get into football and play for fun. The computer autodrafted for her and her team wound up with ONE loss. This was that year Braylon Edwards had that insane season for the Browns. I forgot more football than she knew and she was dominating the competition knowing next to nothing about the game other than starting and picking up the highest projected players for that week.

The whole deal used to be a lot more fun. The Internet and NFL rule changes have ruined it, IMO. Everyone has access to the same I formation. Years back it used to PAY to do some research and dig a little. Doesn't matter now. Everyone is in like ten leagues too so the importance of your league has gone way down. The NFL and the switch to spread offenses, committee approaches to the running game and the talent being spread too thin has made it so ther are only a handful of truly good players. The rest are a complete dice roll.

It's more like gambling now than it's ever been. Bleh.

Oh, and the one other huge issue: we used to get together most weekends and watch games with other league members. There was a social aspect to this that made it fun. That's mostly gone. Everyone is too busy or just cant be bothered. The Internet killed the social aspect of the game too.

We folded our league this year that had been running for almost twenty years. Our owners were from a different era and most of us hate how it is now as I've highlghted above. I don't miss it at all either.

Oh well.

I work the graveyard so some evenings I'll doze off after I've slept all day. A few Thursdays ago I was asleep when Roddy White was listed out. Here, CBS wherever I missed it. I thought I lost a roster spot having him in I'll lose that week anyway so I put in 3 rb with Marshall as other wr. Opponent doesn't play Lynch for whatever so I went into MNF up by .5 and I had no wr points. Marshall got me like another point but my stupidity was trumped by my opponents. I lucked out.