Sign in to follow this  
DaBeerz

What Coaches will be fired this season?

I think to put this in perspective, did the Jets really think they were going to make the playoffs this year with Geno Smith and Mike Vick?

How much of that player position performance do you put on a guy like Rex Ryan? Is there any coach in the league that could have found ways to win, in that division, with a Geno Smith at QB?

If Ryan does get fired, I still think a bunch of teams will be happy to take a shot at him as HC, just on name-brand recognition alone.

Jason Garrett

He's in the final year of his 4 year deal. In each of his first 3 full seasons he failed to make the playoffs. Given the team's good start, Romo's back or not, if he fails to make the playoffs this year - I see no way Jerry brings him back.

Smith in Atlanta is gone and if the Chicago doesn't make a playoff run, I suspect Trestman is as well.

Trestman isn't going anywhere after this year, maybe Cutler will be gone though.

• Like 1

Jason Garrett

He's in the final year of his 4 year deal. In each of his first 3 full seasons he failed to make the playoffs. Given the team's good start, Romo's back or not, if he fails to make the playoffs this year - I see no way Jerry brings him back.

I agree with you, I don't see Garrett as a disciplinarian, and JJ would probably better off if he got a hard ass coach to keep his players in line. Thing is JJ wants a coach who won't fight back on his decisions and he can't keep his nose out of football operations activities.

i don't think JJ can get good coaches in Dallas because nobody wants to put up with a meddling owner. He has to settle for mediocre yes-men coaches instead.

Jason Garrett

Dunno about that - it's difficult to find a bootlicker as good as Garrett who's also a half decent coach. Just think of all the good coaches who will never set foot in Jerry World while he's still owner / GM / team doctor / defacto coach of the team.

Trestman isn't going anywhere after this year, maybe Cutler will be gone though.

Cutler just signed a 7-year, $126m extension. There is no way the Bears could cut him, and there is no way anyone would trade and assume that contract.
  • Like 1

They can't get rid of Cutler. All his guaranteed money would count against the cap in 2015. Not a chance that happens or they will be playing an all undrafted team at every other position.

Dunno about that - it's difficult to find a bootlicker as good as Garrett who's also a half decent coach. Just think of all the good coaches who will never set foot in Jerry World while he's still owner / GM / team doctor / defacto coach of the team.

I agree Jerry's presence has kept great HC prospects away. But don't be fooled into thinking Garrett is automatically coming back. Garrett has delivered two 3rd place Division finishes and a horribly overrated 2nd place finish. Jerry already stripped Garrett's authority to call plays, don't think he won't leave his ass at the alter either.

The truth about Trestman is that he's not this "offensive guru" that everyone makes him out to be. In Canada, the CFL where he came from, he coached the Montreal Alouettes, who had one of the best QB's to ever play the game up here (HOF QB Anthony Calvillo). The guy was usually good for around 4500 -5000 yards and 30+ TD's every season, with ratings in the 100's. Big deal, anyone could look like an offensive guru with a QB who is that good.

Now the NFL is a very different game to the CFL as you know, smaller field and fewer players, tighter throwing windows to WR and other players downfield. What works in the CFL doesn't easily port over to the NFL and vice-versa. CFL is very much a passing league, you can get by with sloppy Defensive play and bad special teams as long as you have a good QB who can throw the ball.

Trestman should have been an OC for a while, they put him in a HC role too early before he learned the game. I don't think he has what it takes to be an NFL HC right now.

Jeff Fisher: Doing a great job. Safe

Pete Carrol: A little chaotic in Seattle, but safe as can be.

Bruce Ariens: Coaching a Picasso right now, safe

Jim Harbaugh: Will be wearing Maize and Blue next year. Will make it through season.

Tom Coughlin: Putting it all together, safe.

Jason Garrett: Keep running Murray, you'll keep your job.

Jay Gruden: Nobody is ever really safe in Washington.

Chip Kelly: Exciting to watch and wins. Safe.

Sean Payton: Need some better personel, but he's safe.

Mike Smith: He's got the talent, he could be on the chopping block!!

Ron Rivera: Wins with great defense, safe.

Lovie Smith: Turned a potentially great team into a joke. He'll stay though.

Mike Zimmer: So much chaos in Minny, rookie QB, he gets a pass...4-5 isn't bad anyway.

Jim Caldwell: Team should be better, but they are winning, safe

Mike McCarthy: As long as Rodgers is there, the team will win, McCarthy is safe.

Marc Trestman: He's a great teacher, not so much a coach. I think he's safe though.

John Fox: Horrible coach that happens to have Manning. He's safe.

Mike McCoy: Playoffs last year, will prolly make it this year. He's safe.

Andy Reid: Too good of a track record, he's safe.

*Tony Sparano: I expect the Raiders to hire someone is off season, who the heck knows who?

Joe Philbin: I think the players are finally buying into his system. Safe.

Doug Marrone. Needs a strong finish or he could be out.

Rex Ryan: I dunno, I think this may the last stand for him.

Bill Belicheck: Brady's washed up, no wr's...oh wait that was week two, BB is safe.

Mike Tomlin: The deal Ben made with the devil ensures Tomlin stays.

John Harbaugh: Great coach, ain't goin anywhere.

Mike Pettine: Getting the most out of what he has. Safe.

Marvin Lewis: They are going nowhere with him, but they'll keep hanging onto him.

Bill O'Brien: Doing a pretty good job with Fitzy. Next year will be more interesting if he goes with Mallet. Safe.

Chuck Pagano: Luck will keep Pagano employed a long time.

Ken Whisenhunt: I think he'll make it through unless he tanks the rest of the season.

Gus Bradley: I like what he's building in Jacksonville. I think he survives.

Rex Ryan, Doug Marrone, Marvin Lewis, Marc Trestman, Mike Smith, Jay Gruden and of course Tony Sparano are the ones I think could be replaced.

Tom Coughin is the wild card. I can see him simply retiring?!

Of all the guys I listed on the hot seat I think Mike Smith should be the most nervous! Great guy though.

• Like 3

The truth about Trestman is that he's not this "offensive guru" that everyone makes him out to be. In Canada, the CFL where he came from, he coached the Montreal Alouettes, who had one of the best QB's to ever play the game up here (HOF QB Anthony Calvillo). The guy was usually good for around 4500 -5000 yards and 30+ TD's every season, with ratings in the 100's. Big deal, anyone could look like an offensive guru with a QB who is that good.

Now the NFL is a very different game to the CFL as you know, smaller field and fewer players, tighter throwing windows to WR and other players downfield. What works in the CFL doesn't easily port over to the NFL and vice-versa. CFL is very much a passing league, you can get by with sloppy Defensive play and bad special teams as long as you have a good QB who can throw the ball.

Trestman should have been an OC for a while, they put him in a HC role too early before he learned the game. I don't think he has what it takes to be an NFL HC right now.

Trestman has extensive NFL experience at every offensive position and has led the league in every single statistical category as a coordinator or positional coach. He has some of the best coordinator and coaching experience overall in the entire NFL. That doesn't make him a good HC though. As a OC, he's a freaking guru.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Trestman#NFL

• Like 1

I agree Jerry's presence has kept great HC prospects away. But don't be fooled into thinking Garrett is automatically coming back. Garrett has delivered two 3rd place Division finishes and a horribly overrated 2nd place finish. Jerry already stripped Garrett's authority to call plays, don't think he won't leave his ass at the alter either.

I would think the pending free agency of Bryant and Murray would have an impact on anyone considering coaching the Cowboys.

Cowboys go far, Garrett holds all the cards. If Cowboys miss playoffs, Garrett gets sacrificed. If Garrett goes, what about Bryant and Murray?

I would think the pending free agency of Bryant and Murray would have an impact on anyone considering coaching the Cowboys.

Cowboys go far, Garrett holds all the cards. If Cowboys miss playoffs, Garrett gets sacrificed. If Garrett goes, what about Bryant and Murray?

Can the Cowboys sign both? The offensive line makes Murray look great. I think they can let him walk and be just fine. Draft someone or bring in Ray Rice. I hear he can be signed on the cheap. Signing players at the end of their career is why the Cowboys are always in a financial bind. I like Murray, and I'm a Cowboys fan, but why sign a guy with that much mileage when you have one of the best lines in the entire league? You can't pay everyone.

Dez and Murray aside - I think anyone considering coaching Dallas would first and foremost look at that young, powerful, great offensive line and then go from there.

But back to Dez and Murray. There is very little likelihood that you can bring both back. And of the two, Dez is certainly a more valuable commodity - simply bcoz he would be harder to replace. I think Dallas will focus on him, pay him close to what he wants, and then see what the market is for Murray. Somebody is prolly going to throw $6 to $8m a year at him. Jerry won't do that, and I'm okay with it.

Trestman has extensive NFL experience at every offensive position and has led the league in every single statistical category as a coordinator or positional coach. He has some of the best coordinator and coaching experience overall in the entire NFL. That doesn't make him a good HC though. As a OC, he's a freaking guru.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Trestman#NFL

I agree with this, but when everyone was raving how great a HC he would be in the NFL I was like, uh, a player like Calvillo makes any coach look good.

I think to put this in perspective, did the Jets really think they were going to make the playoffs this year with Geno Smith and Mike Vick?

How much of that player position performance do you put on a guy like Rex Ryan? Is there any coach in the league that could have found ways to win, in that division, with a Geno Smith at QB?

If Ryan does get fired, I still think a bunch of teams will be happy to take a shot at him as HC, just on name-brand recognition alone.

There is no if . Ryan will get fired

Things are unraveling quickly around Trestman. If this doesn't get turned around in the second half of the season, he is gone. Cutler has $54 million in guaranteed money, he is around for at least two more seasons after this. It is a mess and will only get worse.

• Like 2

There is no if . Ryan will get fired

I don't disagree with that, I'm just saying, is there any coach who would be doing much better with the QB options Ryan had over the years?

I don't disagree with that, I'm just saying, is there any coach who would be doing much better with the QB options Ryan had over the years?

I agree. I don't think this is a case of Ryan being a bad coach. I think it's a case of the owner blowing up his team and preparing the way for the next regime. The next HC is going to come in with tons of cap space, which Ryan didn't have the luxury of. Would it shock anyone to see him wind up in Atlanta? They have the ready made offense, outside of that god-awful offensive line. Someone will give him a shot.

I agree. I don't think this is a case of Ryan being a bad coach. I think it's a case of the owner blowing up his team and preparing the way for the next regime. The next HC is going to come in with tons of cap space, which Ryan didn't have the luxury of. Would it shock anyone to see him wind up in Atlanta? They have the ready made offense, outside of that god-awful offensive line. Someone will give him a shot.

That's the argument I'd make for Ryan. Good defensive coach for the most part. I mean, looking at that team roster, it's amazing he got to the AFC championship game twice at all. He was supposed to be the foil to Brady/Belichick, but did anyone really expect him to complete with the likes of Sanchez/Tebow/McElroy/Smith/Vick ??

I don't know if it's necessarily his fault that Sanchez regressed and was a pos QB, only to be replaced by someone who is worse. Right now I think Ryan is out in NY, but he's just coaching for his next job.

I like Rex, always have. He's gonna be fired. Woody has no business owning an NFL franchise.

Marrone and that whole staff + GM are likely gone, but Pegula is a wild card. He might keep them for continuity's sake.

Garrett is a question mark. Hard to hang a bad finish on him after Romo hurt his back. If they fade because Romo isn't the same I think Jerry signs him to a 1 year extension.

I think Trestman/Lovie/Philbin and Lewis are safe. I think Mike Smith will likely be fired if the birds don't go deep. Idiots who didn't fix the oline are to blame.

Wild Dart Guess of the Year: Kyle Orton leads BUF to a playoff birth while Wheeden fails to secure a playoff game for Jerry Co after Romo goes out for the rest of the year with the back injury.

Did Jerry Jones ever have to pay off those sluts in the bathroom?

This story disappeared with everything going on around AP.

I like Rex, always have. He's gonna be fired. Woody has no business owning an NFL franchise.

Marrone and that whole staff + GM are likely gone, but Pegula is a wild card. He might keep them for continuity's sake.

Garrett is a question mark. Hard to hang a bad finish on him after Romo hurt his back. If they fade because Romo isn't the same I think Jerry signs him to a 1 year extension.

I think Trestman/Lovie/Philbin and Lewis are safe. I think Mike Smith will likely be fired if the birds don't go deep. Idiots who didn't fix the oline are to blame.

Wild Dart Guess of the Year: Kyle Orton leads BUF to a playoff birth while Wheeden fails to secure a playoff game for Jerry Co after Romo goes out for the rest of the year with the back injury.

Why do you say Marrone will be gone when the Bills have totally exceeded expectations so far this year? Even if they finish 8-8 or 9-7 and miss the playoffs, what did they expect, it's Kyle freaking Orton and EJ Manuel. Is there any coach in the league who could get into the playoffs and win with those QB's? even if they post a record above .500, that's progress over the last few years. How can it be playoffs or bust for Marrone, when everyone knows there is no way in hell NE Pats aren't winning the division?

Buffalo GM should be gone, and the scouting staff have drafted terribly over the last few years. Them throwing another HC on the fire would be a pointless move.

Lovie has looked like a dead man walking in recent post-game interviews. I think he is gone. Can't keep a coach who l looks like he has given up.

Jeff Fisher: Doing a great job. Safe

Pete Carrol: A little chaotic in Seattle, but safe as can be.

Bruce Ariens: Coaching a Picasso right now, safe

Jim Harbaugh: Will be wearing Maize and Blue next year. Will make it through season.

Tom Coughlin: Putting it all together, safe.

Jason Garrett: Keep running Murray, you'll keep your job.

Jay Gruden: Nobody is ever really safe in Washington.

Chip Kelly: Exciting to watch and wins. Safe.

Sean Payton: Need some better personel, but he's safe.

Mike Smith: He's got the talent, he could be on the chopping block!!

Ron Rivera: Wins with great defense, safe.

Lovie Smith: Turned a potentially great team into a joke. He'll stay though.

Mike Zimmer: So much chaos in Minny, rookie QB, he gets a pass...4-5 isn't bad anyway.

Jim Caldwell: Team should be better, but they are winning, safe

Mike McCarthy: As long as Rodgers is there, the team will win, McCarthy is safe.

Marc Trestman: He's a great teacher, not so much a coach. I think he's safe though.

John Fox: Horrible coach that happens to have Manning. He's safe.

Mike McCoy: Playoffs last year, will prolly make it this year. He's safe.

Andy Reid: Too good of a track record, he's safe.

*Tony Sparano: I expect the Raiders to hire someone is off season, who the heck knows who?

Joe Philbin: I think the players are finally buying into his system. Safe.

Doug Marrone. Needs a strong finish or he could be out.

Rex Ryan: I dunno, I think this may the last stand for him.

Bill Belicheck: Brady's washed up, no wr's...oh wait that was week two, BB is safe.

Mike Tomlin: The deal Ben made with the devil ensures Tomlin stays.

John Harbaugh: Great coach, ain't goin anywhere.

Mike Pettine: Getting the most out of what he has. Safe.

Marvin Lewis: They are going nowhere with him, but they'll keep hanging onto him.

Bill O'Brien: Doing a pretty good job with Fitzy. Next year will be more interesting if he goes with Mallet. Safe.

Chuck Pagano: Luck will keep Pagano employed a long time.

Ken Whisenhunt: I think he'll make it through unless he tanks the rest of the season.

Gus Bradley: I like what he's building in Jacksonville. I think he survives.

Rex Ryan, Doug Marrone, Marvin Lewis, Marc Trestman, Mike Smith, Jay Gruden and of course Tony Sparano are the ones I think could be replaced.

Tom Coughin is the wild card. I can see him simply retiring?!

Of all the guys I listed on the hot seat I think Mike Smith should be the most nervous! Great guy though.

+1 Couldn't of said it better myself, come the offseason that is all probably about 95% accurate.

NYJ - Ryan is definitely gone. It will be good for him to change teams, maybe even be a DC for a couple of years. He will get offers.

DAL - If Cowboys don't make the playoffs Garrett is gone.

OAK - They will be choosing another coach next year

CIN - If the Bengals don't make the playoffs Lewis is gone.

CAR - I think Rivera will be gone, Panthers have been struggling and Newton has not improved. Maybe the owners will give Rivera a break since they have very few skill players and they are very conservative owners.

NYG - I think Coughlin stays for one more season and then retires.

ATL - Mike Smith is the easiest cal, he is gone after a terrible job the last 2 yrs. GM is probably gone as well.

Could be a year with the fewest firings in a long time (I think the average is near 7 per year)

If Harbaugh is still the HC of the Niners next season.. he better fire the OC Roman. Piece of SH!T is worthless.

Did Jerry Jones ever have to pay off those sluts in the bathroom?

This story disappeared with everything going on around AP.

Case was tossed due to statute of limitations.

I like Rex Ryan a lot and think he's a great coach who every year is asked to squeeze wine out of lemons and somehow does so. And what I'm about to type isn't his fault so take it with a grain of salt. The thing is, when things go wrong with the Jets, he's got the best WTF-just-happened? deer-in-the-headlights look on his face I've ever seen.

It's epic.

example: http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--IyGBV19B--/17zc3eqjbvrvyjpg.jpg

He probably sucks at poker.

Unfortunately for him, we've been seeing that look too much this year. He wore it frequently in the Lions game.

How come the Eagles were able to squeeze wine out of a lemon? Rex sux

Seriously? You're equating the talent on the Iggles with what Just Endure The Suffering has?

• Like 1

How come the Eagles were able to squeeze wine out of a lemon? Rex sux

Seriously? You're equating the talent on the Iggles with what Just Endure The Suffering has?

WOW he must be trolling for real.

Foles (pre-injury)/Sanchez > Smith/Vick

McCoy > CJ2K, CI

Maclin > anything the Jets have

Good god man...Put Rex in as coach of the Eagles, he'd be doing allright.

Don't understand all the love for Rex Ryan on this thread, but I don't think he's that great of a coach. You can blame the QBs he's had to work with, but ultimately: who had a say in drafting them? I doubt he played no part in those decisions.....

After the Packer/Bears game....I think I want to move Trestman a little higher on this list! Wow.

Why do you say Marrone will be gone when the Bills have totally exceeded expectations so far this year? Even if they finish 8-8 or 9-7 and miss the playoffs, what did they expect, it's Kyle freaking Orton and EJ Manuel. Is there any coach in the league who could get into the playoffs and win with those QB's? ###### even if they post a record above .500, that's progress over the last few years. How can it be playoffs or bust for Marrone, when everyone knows there is no way in hell NE Pats aren't winning the division?

Buffalo GM should be gone, and the scouting staff have drafted terribly over the last few years. Them throwing another HC on the fire would be a pointless move.

although he took a swing and miss on ej trading back in round one, id have to say whaley's body work is decent. the hughes trade was huge. would not be surprised to see pegula give him another year

Don't understand all the love for Rex Ryan on this thread, but I don't think he's that great of a coach. You can blame the QBs he's had to work with, but ultimately: who had a say in drafting them? I doubt he played no part in those decisions.....

Rex >>>>>>>>>>> Teflon Tomlin

... 'cept there isn't a cute little "rule" preventing him from being fired

Every year, Rex says his team is going to spank everyone else. Every year, the Jets average 3 points per game. How come CJ2014 < CJ2013? How come Iggles Sanchez > Jets Sanchez? The only reason the Jets beat Pittsburgh is because of Bieber. CBS told me so.

"After the Packer/Bears game....I think I want to move Trestman a little higher on this list! Wow."

The BEARS stopped playing early last night. That has to be a HUGE problem for Trestman, you cannot fire the team!!!!! They have a chance to get healthy with a couple of games against the VIKES. The Vikes have caught them at the best time, but they have not had a good game IN Chicago for a long time, and I do not know if the Vikes' offense can score enough to win much.