Sign in to follow this  
Chronic Husker

You're GM. How do you handle your team's offseason?

Packers:

Address the WR position. (1st or 2nd round pick on a speedster WR that can really stretch the field).

Richard Rodgers is decent, but a REAL game changer at TE.

Depth at RB.

Packers:

Address the WR position. (1st or 2nd round pick on a speedster WR that can really stretch the field).

Depth at RB.

No OL?

LBs?

Also think Id put McCarthy and Rodgers in a room...tell them to figure out whatever crap they have between them and be professional rather than both stewing and throwing little barbs back and forth in the media about things.

Tell Rodgers to get over it when it comes to his buddy Clements not calling plays as well.

On WRs and TE...agree to an extent on WR. TE or WR...someone who can run those seam routes and do damage in the middle of the field so safeties are not just free to help take away the outside threats.

No OL?

LBs?

Also think Id put McCarthy and Rodgers in a room...tell them to figure out whatever crap they have between them and be professional rather than both stewing and throwing little barbs back and forth in the media about things.

Tell Rodgers to get over it when it comes to his buddy Clements not calling plays as well.

On WRs and TE...agree to an extent on WR. TE or WR...someone who can run those seam routes and do damage in the middle of the field so safeties are not just free to help take away the outside threats.

Packers WR situation will fix itself when Nelson comes back. Even a Nelson at 80 or 90% will help Rodgers a lot. Cobb and Adams were beat up all year, and they're small WR.

Packers D is swiss cheese, you watch them play this year? Teams ran right down their throats over and over again they're brutal. They seemed to be ok vs. the pass, but that run D needs work.

OL as well, Rodgers was constantly pressured and throwing on the run.

cowboys:

dump hardy and mcclain. tell carr he'll take a massive pay cut or be cut. let claiborne walk if he can get more than $3M/year elsewhere. cut bernadeaux, and move leary into the swing IOL backup role.

bring ware back at reduced price after husker cuts him.

trade 1st round picks from the 2055-2060 seasons so that i can draft a CB, RB, QB, MLB, SS, and 3-tech in the first round. then edge rusher, 1-tech, and WR in the second. no trading for that--actually steal some other team's picks. like kidnap their guy at the draft ceremony, or forge their draft card. maybe play poker, but rig the game.

than a lot of practice. keep everyone in giant hamster balls in order to avoid injury. let them pay other people to lift the weights for them--god knows they can afford it. maybe just play madden, except with protective glasses to prevent fractured eyeballs and pulled retinas.

in fact, cryo-freeze them all. somewhere without aliens. of if you could teach alien to play, it would be good in the secondary with the whip-tail thing. so feed JJ wilcox to the alien to keep it motivated, as well as improving wilcox's ability not to screw up.

You'll miss Hardy. But I know you don't feelthat way.

Packers:

Depth at RB.

You just saw what one of the best receiving TEs in NFL history did for a struggling Seahawks line issues. It made them worse. Plus these dudes dont just grow on trees. It takes a very rare combination to make a Graham or Gronk or Reed type guy. They have to address the oline first and foremost. Screw the defense if they have to. Rodgers does the Packers no good if he is hurt from taking a ton of hits each game.

You'll miss Hardy. But I know you don't feelthat way.

will miss hardy's on-field contribution, yes.

but not at the price he's likely to command, and not with all the other factors.

Packers- Tell McCarthy he is officially on the hot seat, Thompson too

Lacy-Jenny Craig

D Adams-The Door. Cant play

Pass Rusher. Peppers is done.

O-line. Too banged up over the years. Time to retool.

Forget to change your username? :doh:

Packers WR situation will fix itself when Nelson comes back. Even a Nelson at 80 or 90% will help Rodgers a lot. Cobb and Adams were beat up all year, and they're small WR.

Packers D is swiss cheese, you watch them play this year? Teams ran right down their throats over and over again they're brutal. They seemed to be ok vs. the pass, but that run D needs work.

OL as well, Rodgers was constantly pressured and throwing on the run.

Not sure what team you watched...the D was the strength this year and held teams to decently low point totals.

I don't think Jordy foxea all, and he isn't getting any younger either.

Move the Rams to LA. Fire Fisher hire Jim Harbuagh. Draft a big fast WR. Trade for Collin Capernick. Stay healthy.

Move the Rams to LA. Fire Fisher hire Jim Harbuagh. Draft a big fast WR. Trade for Collin Capernick. Stay healthy.

Trade for Kaep? He is horrible...... why not just trade for Brian Hoyer?

Kaep was fine when Harbaugh was coach. The Rams need a QB that can scramble and make plays on his own until the O-line learns how to pass block. Cam Newton would be better, but I doubt he's going anywhere. :) Kaep has a stong arm and can extend plays. If the Rams had a big fast wr and a rocket arm mobile qb, defenses couldn't stack the box. That would just make things easier for Gurley and the running game. Can you say juggernaut?

Kaep was fine when Harbaugh was coach. The Rams need a QB that can scramble and make plays on his own until the O-line learns how to pass block. Cam Newton would be better, but I doubt he's going anywhere. :) Kaep has a stong arm and can extend plays. If the Rams had a big fast wr and a rocket arm mobile qb, defenses couldn't stack the box. That would just make things easier for Gurley and the running game. Can you say juggernaut?

HEHE well, you're not wrong, Kaep has a strong arm, but he also has the football IQ of a gibbon and the pocket awareness seems very poor. His accuracy is also for piss, he seems to miss wide open players on a regular basis.

Harbaugh did get a lot out of Kaep that much is true, but I think SF's true strength in the Harbaugh years was a power run game and great defense. I'm not sure it's worth firing fisher at this point given the rams are a long way from being a contender in their rebuild.

Kaepernick is the focking caricature from the game Operation. Dude is damaged goods.

Kaepernick is the focking caricature from the game Operation. Dude is damaged goods.

Everyone said that about Kurt Warner when he played for the Giants.

HEHE well, you're not wrong, Kaep has a strong arm, but he also has the football IQ of a gibbon and the pocket awareness seems very poor. His accuracy is also for piss, he seems to miss wide open players on a regular basis.

Harbaugh did get a lot out of Kaep that much is true, but I think SF's true strength in the Harbaugh years was a power run game and great defense. I'm not sure it's worth firing fisher at this point given the rams are a long way from being a contender in their rebuild.

I'm not saying Kaep is a top tier QB or anything like that. I personally don't think the Rams need a top tier QB to contend for a title. The Rams have a difference maker at RB and a defense that can dominate with the lead. We need a QB that can extend plays and make plays when things break down, somebody that will keep defenses honest. Last I checked the only QB that might be available and fits that criteria is Kaep. The guy is only 27 and almost won the Supoerbowl a couple years back with the same type of team.

Nothing against Fisher but I just think his welcome is wore out. I would love to see Harbaugh come back to the NFC West coaching for the L.A. Rams and stick it to the Niners twice a year for about the next 10 years. You know he would love to too.

Everyone said that about Kurt Warner when he played for the Giants.

I would take CURRENT Kurt Warner over Kaepernick

i can't be the GM of the Packers, so I'll start as owner...FIRE THE GM. Thompson does a plus job of scouting & drafting, but not so great that he can ignore FA & trades. I agree with his philosphy that the best method to acquire talent is through draft/develop, but it can't be the only way. He went into this year with the plan that 3 out of 4 offensive line backups were undrafted FA's, and there was a reason each one was passed over by 32 teams though seven rounds. This issue reared it's head in recent years with ILB(seriously, best LB has to play out of position) TE, backup QB and Safety. All because TT refuses to part with the compensantory picks he gets for losing FA's but not signing them. And to be clear, I'm not advocating signing the highest paid players, but just get quality depth---like Michael Oher, 2mil per year with Titans...rather than a Barclay, who is so bad the coaching staff won't even put him on the field now and would rather play Sitton and this weekend Tretter out of position.

As far as draft needs, ILB, more athletic TE to compliment the sure handed but slow Rodgers. Offensive line and a prototypical 3-4 DE. A NON-PROJECT WR with speed, no more DIII guys like Janis(great special teams) or Johnson who need 2 to 3 years to play their actual position. A Sproles/James White type change of pace RB.

Other offseason to do's, renegotiate Peppers contract. He's still awesome in spots, like Dwight Freeney in Az, but isn't a full time player anymore. If possible resign both Perry/Neal, I wouldn't break the bank for either, but both are good situational players. Also resign Crosby.

Finally, inform MM, he's on a 1 year leash, so he might want to let his little coaching friends know(Campen, Zook, Clements) it's due or die. Try to rehire Philbon to be offensive coordinator, though I bet Clements would quit if that happend...oh well, bye.

Ummm...Oher was dropped from the Titans because he sucked here.

Now...only reason to fire him...and they won't...would be more of a "hey, maybe you should retire"...and that is if they think Wolf is ready and they want to keep him away from the Browns.

Ummm...Oher was dropped from the Titans because he sucked here.

Now...only reason to fire him...and they won't...would be more of a "hey, maybe you should retire"...and that is if they think Wolf is ready and they want to keep him away from the Browns.

And I meant this season---he was signed by Panthers for 2M, and started every game, effectively I might add. And that was just an example of the type of 2nd tier player TT should be on the lookout for, rather than having players the coaching staff won't even play(BARCLAY, LANE, MULUMBA, BACKMAN)

Fact is, with a QB like Rodgers, the Packers should be the Pats of the NFC, top 2 or 3 team, perenial SB favorite. TT has underachieved and the failures can be directly traced back to his ineffectiveness as a GM. If a player is only a 6, you will never coach him up to be a 10...and that's the problem when you DEPEND on undrafted free agents and all your draft picks(5 through 7th round) to provide all the depth on team.

No OL?

LBs?

Maybe some depth at OL but our OL is fine when healthy.. we have just been beat up this year.

Redskins:

Surprisingly fewer holes than expected. In order of need:

FS

CB

DE

G

-Next would be getting a #2 TE. They have no one after Reed, and you cannot count on him for a full season.

-A speedster WR (poor man's Desean Jackson). The whole offense opened up when he came back so we need a better backup option if/when Desean is not available.

-Just keep doing what you're doing McCloughan. For the first time since Synder owned the team, we have decent depth overall. If McCloughan can keep adding more pieces and creating true competition for starting jobs, the team will continue to rise. Between McCloughan and Cousins, I can't remember the last time I had this feeling of excitement for potentially having a perennial playoff contender.

The Texans

Get a QB for now and draft the QB of the future. Brees, Rivers, Stafford get the best QB so you can win now. Draft a QB 2nd or 3rd round let him sit on the bench and learn.

TE almost anything is better than what we got.

QB best player FA, trade, draft

O-line and D-line

Safety and Cornerback

RB does not have to be a every down back but some thing better than Blue

Another couple of Packers tidbits:

1. Call out Rodgers a bit. I think he's turning into a prima donna, and I believe it is because there is a Cold War between him and McCarthy. There were plenty of throws this year that were not characteristically accurate. Plenty.

2. Play Matthews at the line, and rush the QB nearly exclusively. Playing him in coverage is not where he shines.

3. Reintroduce the screen play and short slants off the line. Our WRs can't pull off 1-2 steps of separation in these stupid 15 yard routes they're running constantly, and Rodgers doesn't have enough time behind this patchwork line to allow these mediocre WRs to break off routes and come back to him with any consistency - and even when they do, Rodgers throws are not as accurate as in the past.

4. Tell Lacy point blank that he is not the starting RB unless he loses 30 pounds and shows he wants it. Starks has three times more heart than Lacy, and I would give him the starting job in the playoffs.

5. Put drafting OL and DL into someone else's hands. I do not think that Thompson is good enough at drafting either.

6. At least allow Janis/Abbrederis to run streak routes. Both have shown the speed needed to at least give opposing defenses pause. Play either in the place of Davante Adams, who has shown me nothing whatsoever: bust.

Another couple of Packers tidbits:

1. Call out Rodgers a bit. I think he's turning into a prima donna, and I believe it is because there is a Cold War between him and McCarthy. There were plenty of throws this year that were not characteristically accurate. Plenty.

2. Play Matthews at the line, and rush the QB nearly exclusively. Playing him in coverage is not where he shines.

3. Reintroduce the screen play and short slants off the line. Our WRs can't pull off 1-2 steps of separation in these stupid 15 yard routes they're running constantly, and Rodgers doesn't have enough time behind this patchwork line to allow these mediocre WRs to break off routes and come back to him with any consistency - and even when they do, Rodgers throws are not as accurate as in the past.

4. Tell Lacy point blank that he is not the starting RB unless he loses 30 pounds and shows he wants it. Starks has three times more heart than Lacy, and I would give him the starting job in the playoffs.

5. Put drafting OL and DL into someone else's hands. I do not think that Thompson is good enough at drafting either.

6. At least allow Janis/Abbrederis to run streak routes. Both have shown the speed needed to at least give opposing defenses pause. Play either in the place of Davante Adams, who has shown me nothing whatsoever: bust.

Agreed. Starks isn't the most talented RB but he has so much heart and always shows up ready to play. Eddie Lacy looks like a short offensive lineman.

You have me at 4 but lost me at 5. When 90%+ of your team is homegrown talent, and continually make the playoffs how can you say Thompson isn't good at drafting? Don't forget 23 GM's thought Rodgers wasn't good enough in 2005 yet Thompson still drafted him and traded away Favre when he still had gas in the tank. He has been picking in the bottom half of each round since 2009 and most of the team is players drafted 2009 and after. Give the man some credit.

I let my real GM do it, because obviously he is better at it than I would be :banana:

Agreed. Starks isn't the most talented RB but he has so much heart and always shows up ready to play. Eddie Lacy looks like a short offensive lineman.

You have me at 4 but lost me at 5. When 90%+ of your team is homegrown talent, and continually make the playoffs how can you say Thompson isn't good at drafting? Don't forget 23 GM's thought Rodgers wasn't good enough in 2005 yet Thompson still drafted him and traded away Favre when he still had gas in the tank. He has been picking in the bottom half of each round since 2009 and most of the team is players drafted 2009 and after. Give the man some credit.

When I said 'drafting either', I am referring to Thompson's record @ OL and DL players - not others. I think that he needs to tap other sources for his lineman strategy.

Giants fan. And, unfortunately, too late for a NEW Head Coach, and new Defensive Coordinator. They lost WAY too many games last year with horrendous play calling and time management - and really, nothing changed... :dunno:

When I said 'drafting either', I am referring to Thompson's record @ OL and DL players - not others. I think that he needs to tap other sources for his lineman strategy.

Why? You are wrong there too, Packers have an above average line last year we just had some injuries.