Sign in to follow this  
Criper

Rams acquire #1 Pick from Titans

Poor little Miss 7-9. Now she gets taken by her former team in the same move that didn't work for either team 4 years ago.

Wow.. The Rams better hope Wentz/Goff turns out to be something special, otherwise this will be as laughable as the H. Walker/R. Williams/RG3 deals.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000652822/article/rams-trade-up-to-acquire-no-1-pick-from-titans

here is the NFL.com link

I cant believe they paid THIS much.

I dont think any of t he players in this years draft are THAT amazing.

USA Today says they want Wentz.

Kid has talent, but the late great Steve McNair not withstanding when has Jeff Fisher ever developed a QB?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000652822/article/rams-trade-up-to-acquire-no-1-pick-from-titans

here is the NFL.com link

I cant believe they paid THIS much.

I dont think any of t he players in this years draft are THAT amazing.

Big trades work out when you deal depreciating assets, i.e. current players....Dealing future #1's and #2's - trades of this magnitude rarely work out.

Good to see the Rams making this move .

Why not go get a Qb that they might be able to develop into a stud starter .

True it might not work out but neither does sitting on their hands and not making this move .

True they gave up a lot but if it works out they would have received a lot .

It's a Qb driven league and they the Rams need one real bad .

The Titans fleeced them.

I agree. I realize the Rams have a desperate need for a quarterback, but just from a value standpoint I'm not sure either Wentz or Goff are worth the price they gave up. I'm not surprised they did the deal though. This league is QB-driven and sometimes you have to overpay.

(assuming it's Wentz) This makes Goff's stock rise dramatically - least for those in the qb market. I would not be surprised if another team (SF, philly, etc.) tries to move up in a similar fashion... If Goff is still there at 4 - I expect Dallas' phone to be ringing. I'd love to trade out of that pick and stock pile additional picks.

• Like 1

Per Adam Schefter, here is the breakdown....

Titans get:
1st (15 overall)
2nd (43)
2nd (45)
3rd (76)
1st-rd pick in 2017
3rd-rd pick in 2017

Rams get:
1st (No. 1)
4th (113)
6th (177)

Talk about your beads-for-Manhattan deals lol... I hope Les Snead at least got a cigarette. If Oakland had six of the first 76 picks in this draft I'd be talking super bowl with confidence. The second and third rounds in this draft are just loaded.

I agree. I realize the Rams have a desperate need for a quarterback, but just from a value standpoint I'm not sure either Wentz or Goff are worth the price they gave up. I'm not surprised they did the deal though. This league is QB-driven and sometimes you have to overpay.

Waiting on your 2013 KC Draft Grades, Mike

Talk about your beads-for-Manhattan deals lol... I hope Les Snead at least got a cigarette. If Oakland had six of the first 76 picks in this draft I'd be talking super bowl with confidence. The second and third rounds in this draft are just loaded.

Don't see how any Raider fan could ever talk about Super Bowl with Confidence .

Don't know anything about Wentz, but.... North Dakota State? Really?

Was he not on the radar coming out of high school?

Not to sure what this move as to due with his ranking coming out of high school , I'm sure the Rams and most teams that have had a interest in him aren't wondering about that .

Now the Rams have Gurly and what might be a stud Qb good move for them.

If I was a Rams fan this is a good move and they paid the price they had too .

What a haul for the Titans, this could be a franchise defining time for them the next 3 years. Rams? Im sure whoever they pick will suck anyway so doesnt matter.

It's about time, Jeff Fisher is finally helping the Titans win.

F0ck! You beat me to it.

• Like 1

If you're a rookie QB. Who would you rather go to, Rams or Cleveland?

I think I might actually think Cleveland is the better choice.

Don't know anything about Wentz, but.... North Dakota State? Really?

Was he not on the radar coming out of high school?

Goff was my first rounder in my devy draft last year, as he's my favorite QB in this class. But Wentz and Lynch both look pretty good also.

Best idea is to now trade the top pick to the browns for the no.2 pick. REason being nomatter who the browns take, you know the other guy is better!

• Like 1

If you're a rookie QB. Who would you rather go to, Rams or Cleveland?

I think I might actually think Cleveland is the better choice.

Hmm, L.A pvssy or cleveland pvssy...no one is picking cleveland if they have a chance to play for the brand new hollywood star rams.

Oh no you go to the Rams .

And I agree it's a win for the Titans also .

Best idea is to now trade the top pick to the browns for the no.2 pick. REason being nomatter who the browns take, you know the other guy is better!

Sage advice. :thumbsup:

There is absolutely no way possible they could get the Browns go do that.

Is there?

Ridiculous................ unfettered selfish greed IMO.

You see this all the time with smart but unprincipled people in life when a situation is set up in a way where the risks are asymmetric.

Follow me

Snead/Fisher were going to lose their jobs next year in almost any case, save perhaps Case Keenum led them to the playoffs. Which, of course, they knew was not going to happen, even with Gurley and a better OLine the Cards and Seahawks are better just within their own division. The only reason these guys are still in place now is because of the move to L.A. and the fact that switching horses just prior would have been too tumultuous for the organization.

So what do they do? Throw a Hail Mary hoping the acquisition of the new "Great White Hope" sparks enough positive vibe about the future that they buy time. If it doesn't go well in year 1, plan to play the card that ownership should not rock the boat on the development of the star of the future next off-season by tearing everything apart and having start completely over. Giving away that much value is almost never a long term net positive but who cares about the long term if you won't be there to suffer through?

We tend to think of moves like this as; Why would XXXXX do that when its clearly not in their best interest as an on- going entity but in most cases the decisions are being made by individuals who have a conflict of interest between what in the best long term interest of the entity and what's in their own personal best interest which of course is a shorter time frame, potentially MUCH shorter and that's when the safeguards have to be very careful.

Too cynical? I've been seeing the same stuff by a different name my whole life. The big banks who made risky loans and even worse leveraged the balance sheet to 35-1 in some cases not long ago....and will do it again in the next cycle if allowed. Leveraged 35 -1 you need only have like 3% of your assets go bad before you are technically insolvent..................but man that leverage, when it all goes right.............. the profits flow to the bottom line like Manna from heaven and the bonuses are huge. Assymetrical risk, management teams are set for life with huge bonuses, a rising stock price where a large percentage of there pay is in stock, often purchased at a discount with money loaned from the company itself, and what could they lose?

A job, even then the financial landing tends not to be hard.

There are examples large and small all around us every day and to me this is just another. So how did Snead get ownership to sign off on this, which they probably had to do given the size?

They are relying on the GM as the guy who knows the values. Beyond that I'm sure it was also sold as a big splash play, new city, They are going to all the press anyone can imagine out of it, that has value. If the guy is another Manning, Brady, etc then those are priceless assets. It could work out, I actually hope it does. If the QB is another once in a generation........ but what are the chances?

Too cynical, maybe. I don't know these guys and this rant sounds like I am impugning their character. It is certainly possible to talk one's self into the justifications.........I'm doing it for the shareholders, employees, everybody wins. If he is the next Peyton Manning the price doesn't matter.

It would be nice to think its not all coming from a selfish place, sometimes I think that myself when I see the short sighted moves made by 20 something yr old managers in my favorite grocery store, hotel, etc, just inexperience. But when you are looking at experienced people make those types of moves its hard not to form a cynical opinion.

Absolutely the best part about this trade , it's given us something to post about .

Absolutely the best part about this trade , it's given us something to post about .

yep.

I dont like the deal for the Rams long term, but I understand why they did it.

They are returning to LA after a long stay in St. Louis and they want to make a splash.

They are in position to make the deal and generate some excitement in the city for their team.

While I still think the price was way too high, I do at least understand the rationale behind such a deal.

Not to sure what this move as to due with his ranking coming out of high school , I'm sure the Rams and most teams that have had a interest in him aren't wondering about that .

Sure they are. It tells you the guy doesn't really have a football pedigree. Now maybe they like him anyway but you're a damned fool if you think it doesn't even enter into the conversation

yep.

I dont like the deal for the Rams long term, but I understand why they did it.

They are returning to LA after a long stay in St. Louis and they want to make a splash.

They are in position to make the deal and generate some excitement in the city for their team.

While I still think the price was way too high, I do at least understand the rationale behind such a deal.

No, lesjroza hit the nail on the head. This was a desperation ploy by a regime that likely won't be around in a year or two when the sh1t hits the fan. If this doesn't work out (and there's a pretty good chance of that) they've set this franchise back years and years but they don't care because they'll be gone.

Sure they are. It tells you the guy doesn't really have a football pedigree. Now maybe they like him anyway but you're a damned fool if you think it doesn't even enter into the conversation

Look no further than Danny Watkins from the Philadelphia Eagles to prove your point.

Ridiculous................ unfettered selfish greed IMO.

You see this all the time with smart but unprincipled people in life when a situation is set up in a way where the risks are asymmetric.

Follow me

Snead/Fisher were going to lose their jobs next year in almost any case, save perhaps Case Keenum led them to the playoffs. Which, of course, they knew was not going to happen, even with Gurley and a better OLine the Cards and Seahawks are better just within their own division. The only reason these guys are still in place now is because of the move to L.A. and the fact that switching horses just prior would have been too tumultuous for the organization.

So what do they do? Throw a Hail Mary hoping the acquisition of the new "Great White Hope" sparks enough positive vibe about the future that they buy time. If it doesn't go well in year 1, plan to play the card that ownership should not rock the boat on the development of the star of the future next off-season by tearing everything apart and having start completely over. Giving away that much value is almost never a long term net positive but who cares about the long term if you won't be there to suffer through?

We tend to think of moves like this as; Why would XXXXX do that when its clearly not in their best interest as an on- going entity but in most cases the decisions are being made by individuals who have a conflict of interest between what in the best long term interest of the entity and what's in their own personal best interest which of course is a shorter time frame, potentially MUCH shorter and that's when the safeguards have to be very careful.

Too cynical? I've been seeing the same stuff by a different name my whole life. The big banks who made risky loans and even worse leveraged the balance sheet to 35-1 in some cases not long ago....and will do it again in the next cycle if allowed. Leveraged 35 -1 you need only have like 3% of your assets go bad before you are technically insolvent..................but man that leverage, when it all goes right.............. the profits flow to the bottom line like Manna from heaven and the bonuses are huge. Assymetrical risk, management teams are set for life with huge bonuses, a rising stock price where a large percentage of there pay is in stock, often purchased at a discount with money loaned from the company itself, and what could they lose?

A job, even then the financial landing tends not to be hard.

There are examples large and small all around us every day and to me this is just another. So how did Snead get ownership to sign off on this, which they probably had to do given the size?

They are relying on the GM as the guy who knows the values. Beyond that I'm sure it was also sold as a big splash play, new city, They are going to all the press anyone can imagine out of it, that has value. If the guy is another Manning, Brady, etc then those are priceless assets. It could work out, I actually hope it does. If the QB is another once in a generation........ but what are the chances?

Too cynical, maybe. I don't know these guys and this rant sounds like I am impugning their character. It is certainly possible to talk one's self into the justifications.........I'm doing it for the shareholders, employees, everybody wins. If he is the next Peyton Manning the price doesn't matter.

It would be nice to think its not all coming from a selfish place, sometimes I think that myself when I see the short sighted moves made by 20 something yr old managers in my favorite grocery store, hotel, etc, just inexperience. But when you are looking at experienced people make those types of moves its hard not to form a cynical opinion.

I agree. Coaches and GMs make decisions based on public sentiment often just so they dont look like the only one who was wrong. I see it in construction where a customer, like Citgo, spends less money in the short term only to spend multiple in the long term. Its sad to see talent wasted because a coach is afraid of being wrong.

I do not believe this trade will matter a ton for TEN. They havent showed much ability to create a competitive team. Its kind of like the Rams making the RG3 deal. They brought out the defensive players to show how they fleeced the Skins, but really what have they accomplished since the trade? Absolutely nothing, and thats with a defensive unit FLUSH with talent. Almost as much talent as the Broncos imo.

So...after this trade, the Rams now have the 1st pick (Goff or Wentz)

They then have the 76th (3rd rd) 110th and 113th (4th rd) and the 177th and 190th (6th rd).

Over the last few years w/ Fisher, they've absolutely bombed the majority of their later round picks. I mean, aside from Trumaine Johnson, have they hit on one pick past the second round?

I understand the desire to hit on a franchise QB...but this team has a lot of holes that just aren't going to get filled this offseason. And that makes the decision to part with next year's first even more troubling. The development of the O-line is going to be the biggest make-or-break aspect of this trade. The Rams allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL last year, but also attempted the 3rd fewest passes. If the line can protect the rookie and not expose him to a David Carr like situation out of the gates, maybe he can do well.

Ultimately, I strongly agree w/ Les regarding this deal. This was to save Fisher's behind till they go to the new stadium.

Yeah whoever is behind center in STL is probably getting smoked next year anyway. Almost feel bad for the guy. It should be criminal to ignore your O line

• Like 1

Yeah whoever is behind center in STL is probably getting smoked next year anyway. Almost feel bad for the guy. It should be criminal to ignore your O line

Not to mention that a rookie QB behind a leaky O line is typically a very good way to ruin that rookie QB.

Ask David Carr.

Ok I'm a fool .

Don't think it's going to be important.

It's about time, Jeff Fisher is finally helping the Titans win.

Freakin Hilarious! :lol:

As a Titans fan, I see 3 good things with this trade. #1 The Titans pretty much got the same offer the Eagles proposed last year and still got to keep Mariotta. #2 Jon Roberson is the best general manager this off season acquiring Demarco Murray for little of nothing and getting this done. #3 Mike Mularky will be gone in less than 3 years if the Titans don't improve and we can get Josh McDaniels to help develop Mariotta. :first:

Ok I'm a fool .

Don't think it's going to be important.

I think if I'm scouting out a player to draft, I'd be more interested in the player he is today than what he was coming out of high school.

only real advantage is you can talk to his old coach in H. S. to see what kind of a kid he was back then and see how hes progressed.

But the reality is if you cant figure out during a 4 year college career, its questionable if you are ever gonna be ok with his character.

I saw this yesterday, and thought it was crazy.

This draft does not have an Andrew Luck, Cam Newton, etc. consensus top pick. To give away a king's ransom, when your target is NOT a "sure thing..."

I'm glad I'm not a St. Louis fan. It will be interesting to see the Titans' roster in two years from now.