Sign in to follow this  
Ray_T

Dak Prescott stakes his claim to the cowboys backup QB job

Russell Wilson tears up the Dallas 2nd team unit, at home, in the 2nd half - and everyone is gushing/giddy, ready to name streets after him... Dak does it, on the road, against their 1st unit - and it's just preseason....

for the record, I'm not Hyping Russell Wilson. I expect he should light it up against the Dallas Second team. I'd be worried if he didnt.

I think its all about expectations.

I think it's nice that Wilson looked sharp. That's what I get from that.

As for Dak, It's nice that he looks sharp too. He looks like a legit #2 who could step in and do an adequate job as a starter. There is more upside, but until we see him in the regular season against anything other than a base defense, we wont truly know what he is capable of.

As for Dak, It's nice that he looks sharp too. He looks like a legit #2 who could step in and do an adequate job as a starter. There is more upside, but until we see him in the regular season against anything other than a base defense, we wont truly know what he is capable of.

The naysayers are going by stat sheets and box scores.. They see them and (rightfully so) tell all to hit the brakes a bit and take them with a grain of salt.

The side they aren't seeing is the side that is what actually has me (and others) the most excited. It's the things he's doing that don't show up on a stat sheet... His poise, his look offs, the knowledge of knowing his progressions, buying time and running when called for, command of the huddle - those kinds of things..

There were 2 things he did last night that are just unthinkable of a rookie in that environment - one I've already mentioned... 1) he stayed in the pocket, under collapsing pressure and threw a little dump pass to a crossing wr to pick up a few needed yards to get his team in fg range. He didn't pick up the 1st down - but he had the awareness to not panic and to not try and throw an ill advised pass for the home run first down. That's poise and keenness there... and 2) he came in off the bench, cold, not expecting to even take a snap until the 2nd half - facing 3rd and 8. What does he do? He calmly throws for 11 yards and moves the chains... You have to realize - this kid started 3 years in college - he's prolly never had to come off the bench before facing a 3rd down, for damn sure not in this kind of environment and against this kind of defense... Most teams do what there when their starting qb is taken off the field the play before? They concede the drive, hand off up the middle - and punt it away.

It's the non-box score things that this kid is doing that's reason for excitement.

Amazing how one guy performs well and it's just preseason. Another performs well and it's a sign of greatness to come.

True but when rookies excel in pre season it gets a little boost. Tough adjustment for them regardless of vanilla defense. The game speed is still very different.

It's the non-box score things that this kid is doing that's reason for excitement.

Indeed, its all the stuff you have to watch the game to see. His eyes, his poise, his ball delivery, pocket awareness, its all pro level already. If he is on Denver he starts week 1, he is already better than anyone there and I could prob find a couple more teams too. Heck, he already looks better than Goff who was the first pick! Thats probably premature, but still.

Indeed, its all the stuff you have to watch the game to see. His eyes, his poise, his ball delivery, pocket awareness, its all pro level already. If he is on Denver he starts week 1, he is already better than anyone there and I could prob find a couple more teams too. Heck, he already looks better than Goff who was the first pick! Thats probably premature, but still.

Keep in mind Denver runs a different offense. Maybe if he was in denver he'd have a harder time.

Remember, in Dallas, hes behind one of the best O lines in the league (if not the best)

Denver has one of the worst.

Id rather not stick my rookie in behind a sub par line. Thats a good way to ruin a good young QB. Ask Derek Carr.

Worth a 3rd rd rookie draft pick? Could possibly try and wait for the 4th rd, but doubt he'll last that long. Paxton Lynch is still on the board as well.

• Like 1

Worth a 3rd rd rookie draft pick? Could possibly try and wait for the 4th rd, but doubt he'll last that long. Paxton Lynch is still on the board as well.

hes probably worth more than a 3rd round rookie pick in a dynasty league. Especially if you need a QB.

I dont think there is any question the talent is there. The question I have is how long will it take for him to get a shot.

If he gets a shot next year, I think there is a reasonable chance he will be ready.

if it happens this year, it's more of a crapshoot. Ideally I think you'd like to see him learn the Dallas offense a bit better before throwing him into the fire.

I'm in the same boat. I'm up now at 3.02 with Lynch also available. I have Ryan and Dalton as my QBs so I don't need Prescott but could be the best pick available and use him as trade bait.

I technically need RB and TE help, but Prescotts value now may be too hard to pass up.

I'm thinking of pulling him last round in keeper league and just waiting a couple games until Romo gets hurt then trade off my qb1 whoever that is

Just drafted him. Can't ignore his performance so far. Plus Romo is not getting any younger or able to stay on the field it seems. Maybe he'll become the starter this year from either Romos poor performance or injury. At the very least I could trade him to the Romo owner for some RB or TE help.

if it happens this year, it's more of a crapshoot. Ideally I think you'd like to see him learn the Dallas offense a bit better before throwing him into the fire.

In a perfect world, Dak sees some 4th quarter clean ups and maybe just 1 start. No question a healthy Romo is this team's best chance at success - least for 2016.

He's more frail than a glass slipper, and at 36 - he may be done, done... And the worst part - he's owed a shiatload of $$ against the cap still. :rolleyes:

Is Dak now worth a late 1st round pick in a 10 team, 2 QB, 14 keeper league?

No!!!!

Are you crazy

Expectations tempered......but just dropped my defense and added Dak in two leagues that I have already drafted in.

Could be blocking somebody, could be trade bait, or could be a huge asset for my teams this year.

Who knows?

Dallas has the best offensive line in football. Only 1 of them is over 25. 2 of the 3 nucleus of that line is signed long term, Zack Martin soon will be. And by the way, we have Zeke.

I think it's totally within reason and worth a risk taking Dak early - especially in a Keeper league. Bet many wish they had a redo on R. Wilson too.

The only leagues where he would be rostered would be in 16 teamers (as a backup) or in 10-12 teamers that start 2 QB.

Even then, it may be questionable. I suspect Dallas will want to bring someone in. if he's not ready, they could hinder his development by putting him in.

That being said, I'd say there is a 25-30% chance he can go in and start and be good. there is a 30-35% chance he can go in and be adequate. and there is likely a 35-40% chance he crashes and burns.

Normally the odds would be worse, but Dak played well so far, and they have a solid run game to back him up. I dont like the weak D. That will add pressure to the kid, but there's not much we can do about that.

I do think the Cowboys will try to get an experienced guy in there. I'd be inclined to try to acquire Hoyer. the price is likely cheap and he was well coached in his early career under Belicheck. but I'm sure there are other options out there.

I suspect Dallas will want to bring someone in.

I suspect they will too - as a backup.

You don't announce you're no longer looking for a backup (as jerry did) and then not play your backup when the starter goes down. If someone were brought in now, they will have missed ALL of camp. We've tried that method - it went 1-11 last year. No way in hell Jerry does that again, especially after seeing what he has out of #4.

The job is Dak's - for better or worse.

I think Dak now jumps into that solid QB2 range in 2QB leagues, hes more talented than Tyrod imo, and has a much better all around team and opportunity

I have him penciled in around 16 right now. I don't think Romo gets his job back. Dak was my favorite college QB prospect from this year, so I may be a little biased

• Like 1

I'd go for it, I'm assuming all teams have their 14 keepers and you're doing a rookie/FA draft?

OK, any Dynasty experts in here? :) I'm on the clock in round 3, and Oakland rookie RB D. Washington and Dak are available. I have L. Murray, so planned on taking Washington, but now tempted to take Dak.

Just looked at Dallas schedule the first 8 games:

Giants

@Washington

Chicago

@SF

Cincy

@GB

Bye

Philly

@Cleveland

Wow, other than Cincy, what a cake schedule. I can see Dak doing just fine, even going a couple games after the bye week should Romo need a couple more weeks.

I'd go for it, I'm assuming all teams have their 14 keepers and you're doing a rookie/FA draft?

It looks like Zeke and Dak will go 1 and 2 in this league now.

I suspect they will too - as a backup.

You don't announce you're no longer looking for a backup (as jerry did) and then not play your backup when the starter goes down. If someone were brought in now, they will have missed ALL of camp. We've tried that method - it went 1-11 last year. No way in hell Jerry does that again, especially after seeing what he has out of #4.

The job is Dak's - for better or worse.

I dont think the team has a choice.

Let's say (hypothetically) that dallas was able to trade for Drew Brees. We know that will never happen, but lets pretend for a minute that they did.

Even with a QB of his Calibre, I would be very surprised if he'd be ready to start week 1.

asking a QB to learn the whole playbook in 2 weeks is not fair or realistic.

Even if they bring a guy in to start tomorrow, Dak is probably starting week 1 and 2 until he is ready.

and if Romo is expected to be out until week 6, how much are they willing to pay for another QB?

Dak will start. Sooner than expected. I'll be cheering for him. I do hope he is ready.

OK, any Dynasty experts in here? :) I'm on the clock in round 3, and Oakland rookie RB D. Washington and Dak are available. I have L. Murray, so planned on taking Washington, but now tempted to take Dak.

I ended up taking Dak, I currently have Brees and Cousins. The fact we can start 1-RB and 4-WR in a PPR, and I'm pretty stacked at RB made the choice easy. Even if Romo was healthy, it would have been Dak's team sooner rather than later anyway. With that O-Line, Bryant and Zeke, the Cowboys offense could be solid for a long time. Plus, their D sucks, so plenty of oppo's for the O to put up points. :)

I dont think the team has a choice.

Let's say (hypothetically) that dallas was able to trade for Drew Brees. We know that will never happen, but lets pretend for a minute that they did.

Even with a QB of his Calibre, I would be very surprised if he'd be ready to start week 1.

If Dak goes 2-0 or 1-1, forget it - veteran or not, he's not sitting. Even if he goes 0-2 but looks good in doing so, he's probably not sitting. Remember, our defense sucks ass, so that's not out of the question it's mostly their fault.

The powers that be actually like Showers - I do too. I say let's roll with what we got. Look for linebackers if we feel the need to spend $$ or draft picks making a move.

If Dak goes 2-0 or 1-1, forget it - veteran or not, he's not sitting. Even if he goes 0-2 but looks good in doing so, he's probably not sitting. Remember, our defense sucks ass, so that's not out of the question it's mostly their fault.

The powers that be actually like Showers - I do too. I say let's roll with what we got. Look for linebackers if we feel the need to spend $$ or draft picks making a move.

regardless of record, if he looks good, he will stay.

but they need someone who can step in and play if he cant.

a roster move is needed. Its just a question of what players can they bring in.

regardless of record, if he looks good, he will stay.

but they need someone who can step in and play if he cant.

a roster move is needed. Its just a question of what players can they bring in.

Oh for sure - we need a 3rd qb regardless. I just hope we don't give up anything higher than a 4th to do so. Hell - bring back Weeden, is he free?

Dalllas STILL needs a backup Quarterback. I say Michael Vick or just trade for Josh McCown.

Oh for sure - we need a 3rd qb regardless. I just hope we don't give up anything higher than a 4th to do so. Hell - bring back Weeden, is he free?

No I don't think he's available, and why? Then if Dak gets hurt Weeden loses us several games, no thanks.

Dalllas STILL needs a backup Quarterback. I say Michael Vick or just trade for Josh McCown.

CLE wanted a 3rd, Fock that.

No I don't think he's available, and why? Then if Dak gets hurt Weeden loses us several games, no thanks.

I hate to break the news to you, but if your team loses its starting and backup qb - you're losing anyway. At least Weeden knows the system - and this time he will have Dez back and Zeke doing his thing.

I hate to break the news to you, but if your team loses its starting and backup qb - you're losing anyway. At least Weeden knows the system - and this time he will have Dez back and Zeke doing his thing.

Actually this is a very good point.

it takes a deep and talented team to win with a backup. To win with a third string QB isnt impossible, but I'd say its close to impossible.

and the Dallas D isnt that good. In general, this means the team is in trouble already.

If romo is out 6 games (which may be optomistic) and Dak wins 3 of those 6 games, then I would say his rookie season has been a success.

Even if he only wins 2 but looks good doing it, I'd say it has been a success.

at the end of the day if Romo returns and the team is in a position where they can jump into a playoff spot if Romo strings together 3 or 4 wins, then the Backup has done his job.

I don't like that mentality. Kurt Warner was 3rd string and won the Rams the Super Bowl. Dallas already is going to start it's third string QB with Dak. Kellen Moore as you know was the back up and got hurt and is out for the year.

I didn't know Cleveland wanted a 3rd round draft pick for Josh McCown, yea that's too high of price.

When a team loses it starting QB, they have one of two options, try to manage the game and sustain with a proven back up caliber QB, or start building for the future. If the Cowboys had a decent defense and Romo could come back later, they would win some games with the first option, then Weeden would be the call. I don't think this is the Cowboys situation though. Romo is out for a long time, and they have to be thinking about his successor at this point. I think it is time to let Dak have a decently long leash and have him train by fire.

That said, the NFL East isn't all that great, so they may ride the hot hand if Dak doesn't shine early.