@Washington

Chicago

@SF

Cincy

@GB

Bye

Philly

@Cleveland

Wow, other than Cincy, what a cake schedule. I can see Dak doing just fine, even going a couple games after the bye week should Romo need a couple more weeks.

The Skins have an excellent secondary on paper now. Dak may be a bench for that game.

For what it's worth, here are the Game 1 scoring projections off of Yahoo (standard scoring, 4 pt passing TDs) for some selected quarterbacks:

Andrew Luck 21.58

Aaron Rodgers 21.38

Dak Prescott 21.28

Russell Wilson 20.89

Drew Brees 20.55

Cam Newton 20.46

Ben Roethlisberger 20.05

Derek Carr 19.92

Matthew Stafford 19.31

Eli Manning 18.81

Carson Palmer 18.50

Philip Rivers 17.74

Blake Bortles 17.39

I will debate starting Dak over Wilson just for fun. Week one is like that, its always the bench that blows up. In fact, thats pretty much every week.

I will debate starting Dak over Wilson just for fun. Week one is like that, its always the bench that blows up. In fact, thats pretty much every week.

Pretty much. A few times I have benched a starter for a guy I had a gut feeling about week 1, and then the starter goes off. Then I tell myself no more benching the starters I drafted, and then the bench guy who I had a feeling about goes the fock off. Then I start him week 2 and he dies.

Who is the barely rosterable schmo who goes for 3 tds week 1?

Not that I would ever suggest that.. But it is interesting - going back almost 10 years, NY/DAL has traditionally produced gun slinging shootouts.

Not that I would ever suggest that.. But it is interesting - going back almost 10 years, NY/DAL has traditionally produced gun slinging shootouts.

Great point, I will absolutely do it now.

Great point, I will absolutely do it now.

Of course - Romo was there for most of those. :D

There's already so many cowboy/Dak themed names you can pivot your team to with this guy.

Dak to the future

The Dakstreet Boys

Once you go Dak you never go back

The boys are Dak in town

Dak Lives Matter

Let's re-visit say, about Week 4. If I'm wrong I'll own it. Just thought you'd appreciate the honesty Cruzer, and the attempt to keep things in perspective.

For example, I've liked how Connor Cook has looked. Nice crisp delivery. Cannon for an arm. Not afraid to go down the field. But I'm not getting glassy-eyed, not in pre-season. You should know better,n but you're caught up in the possibility of striking gold. Lol, you've got gold fever.

Heard Richard Sherman on Rome's show the other day, joking specifically about what defenses they run in the pre-season. Again, let's re-visit shall we? I think you're in for another long season. The kid will learn, and he may be your future. There's definite worth in that. But you should take everything else as gravy, including aspirations for this year. That defense gets him behind in games...? It's going to be rough.

Let's re-visit say, about Week 4. If I'm wrong I'll own it. Just thought you'd appreciate the honesty Cruzer, and the attempt to keep things in perspective.

For example, I've liked how Connor Cook has looked. Nice crisp delivery. Cannon for an arm. Not afraid to go down the field. But I'm not getting glassy-eyed, not in pre-season. You should know better,n but you're caught up in the possibility of striking gold. Lol, you've got gold fever.

Heard Richard Sherman on Rome's show the other day, joking specifically about what defenses they run in the pre-season. Again, let's re-visit shall we? I think you're in for another long season. The kid will learn, and he may be your future. There's definite worth in that. But you should take everything else as gravy, including aspirations for this year. That defense gets him behind in games...? It's going to be rough.

as a Cowboy fan i agree. 3 playoff wins since 1995. nothing surprises me anymore. Scar Tissue, used to it

Honesty and perspective are always appreciated. But there's a difference between that and just plain as day obvious. Preseason or not, you're smart enuff and have seen enuff to understand Dak is showing qualities and making plays that most rookies don't - including Goff, Wentz and Lynch. You also know Dak is already doing things the likes of Weeden and Cassel can't, nor ever - did.

I've said more than once - if you're argument is that Dak won't step in, as a rookie, and light up the fantasy world - I tend to agree. But I'm not making that case. All I've said is that Dak is better than whatever spare we could bring in now and that he has a real legit shot to keep this team in games come 4th quarter - not to mention possibly win a couple or 3. He has a phenomenal supporting cast to aid in the process - so I'll gladly take my chances.

As far as Sherman - really? When did the mouth of the West all of the sudden become a credible source? What did you expect him to say? He and the rest of his 1st unit just got their asses run over by a rookie kid. And make no mistake, preseason or not, they were bringing it with twists up front and heavy pressure. Cam got so riled up and embarrassed that he took a cheap shot late hit on Zeke. That doesn't happen if he's just lollygagging around.

Well, it's hard to tell. Your exuberance in building up his performance is commendable, though the kid did look good. If Romes does go down, and this kid even directs them to a .500 record in his absence, it's the sports story of the year. That's the rub. If Romo goes down for the year, yeah why not? Like Steven said the wheels are off anyway. But if it's only a couple games can he deliver? A condensed game plan, run heavy, utilizing Prescott's wheels on some planned scrambles? Maybe. But the chances of this kid just being totally lost are real as well, given his limited knowledge of NFL style offenses.

Actually, I saw an article where Dak was quoted as saying that the Miss St offense is very much a pro-style offense, just that they exclusively ran from the shotgun. He also said that the Miss St offense is pretty much identical to the offense that is run in Dallas, so he already has all of the concepts and reads down pat. It's a matter of simply converting terminology, which quite a bit is similar, and getting used to the faster speeds, tighter windows, and much more complicated defensive schemes.

And, he was also quoted as saying he totally understood that he was facing vanilla defenses with no real scheme to them, so he was tempering his expectations and enthusiasm. That statement alone says a lot about the kid and his ability to stay grounded and not buy in to all of his press. It sounds like this kid has a real future in Dallas. I really think this injury is the one that puts the final nail in Romo's coffin. Dude is just too old and has way too many injuries. At some point, as a player, you have to say it's just not worth it.

Actually, I saw an article where Dak was quoted as saying that the Miss St offense is very much a pro-style offense, just that they exclusively ran from the shotgun. He also said that the Miss St offense is pretty much identical to the offense that is run in Dallas, so he already has all of the concepts and reads down pat. It's a matter of simply converting terminology, which quite a bit is similar, and getting used to the faster speeds, tighter windows, and much more complicated defensive schemes.

And, he was also quoted as saying he totally understood that he was facing vanilla defenses with no real scheme to them, so he was tempering his expectations and enthusiasm. That statement alone says a lot about the kid and his ability to stay grounded and not buy in to all of his press. It sounds like this kid has a real future in Dallas. I really think this injury is the one that puts the final nail in Romo's coffin. Dude is just too old and has way too many injuries. At some point, as a player, you have to say it's just not worth it.

I believe last year the Bulldogs set a record for the fewest rushing attempts in school history, so if anything he'll be learning how to take snaps under center.

If a Boys fan, I'd be happy at the prospect of getting my future QB. To their credit that's all I've heard on the airwaves last weekend. In fact, Cowboys fans have probably been more sober about prospects without Romo than team leadership, who've been throwing terms like 'Brady' and 'Bledsoe' out there smh... I get it, rally the masses etc. I was here for the pre-Romo years, seeing the endless caravan of scrubs they trotted out behind center. If Dak is their guy, then grooming him this year is primary and all else gravy.

I'll stand by my views on pre-season.

I'll stand by my views on pre-season.

For clarity, what exactly is your pre-season view? That he's a serviceable backup, that he's a total bust, that he's Quincy Carter, that he's Anthony Wright - that he's no better than Weeden/Cassel or Mark Sanchez?

For clarity, what exactly is your pre-season view? That he's a serviceable backup, that he's a total bust, that he's Quincy Carter, that he's Anthony Wright - that he's no better than Weeden/Cassel or Mark Sanchez?

He has great physical tools, and seems competent. But the school is out on what he can do for this team until he sees regular season defenses and schemes. Would I be optimistic? Long term,of course. Short term, probably apprehensive. In the grand scheme of things, his future is what's important.

This is a fairly young team, with some bright promise on the offensive side (especially in the trenches) and yes even on defense. If it were me, whether or not the Boys won 5, 7, 9, or 12 games this year isn't important. It's the development of this kid and his future. As a Raider fan I didn't give a rat's ass we went 3-13 in 2014 because I knew looking at Derek Carr we had a future franchise QB. Not saying Dallas is where Oakland was two years ago, but don't lose sight of what's really important. And if he gets you to a playoff game that's gravy.

My take is, out of respect for NFL defenses and the difficulty involved with being an NFL QB, I'd say he busts this year performance wise. But if you see the potential there, the future of your franchise, who cares?

Well, Jerry might. But that's a different problem.

He has great physical tools, and seems competent. But the school is out on what he can do for this team until he sees regular season defenses and schemes. Would I be optimistic? Long term,of course. Short term, probably apprehensive. In the grand scheme of things, his future is what's important.

This is a fairly young team, with some bright promise on the offensive side (especially in the trenches) and yes even on defense. If it were me, whether or not the Boys won 5, 7, 9, or 12 games this year isn't important. It's the development of this kid and his future. As a Raider fan I didn't give a rat's ass we went 3-13 in 2014 because I knew looking at Derek Carr we had a future franchise QB. Not saying Dallas is where Oakland was two years ago, but don't lose sight of what's really important. And if he gets you to a playoff game that's gravy.

My take is, out of respect for NFL defenses and the difficulty involved with being an NFL QB, I'd say he busts this year performance wise. But if you see the potential there, the future of your franchise, who cares?

Well, Jerry might. But that's a different problem.

We aren't too far apart on our outlooks. Although you do appear to be more optimistic about our defense than I am.

I also agree that this season, for the most part, is going to be about the development of Dak. It wasn't the plan - but it's the cards we've been dealt. The silver lining is the NFC East itself. Yes the Giants and Skins, are on paper - better than last year. And yes - I think we can all agree the Birds are going to be rather awful... With that being said - there is no dominant, head and shoulders team to fear. Even with Romo's injury - this division is wide open for the taking.

Hell, even with the Romo injury - Vegas has NY/DAL, Week 1 a Pick'em game.

We aren't too far apart on our outlooks. Although you do appear to be more optimistic about our defense than I am.

I also agree that this season, for the most part, is going to be about the development of Dak. It wasn't the plan - but it's the cards we've been dealt. The silver lining is the NFC East itself. Yes the Giants and Skins, are on paper - better than last year. And yes - I think we can all agree the Birds are going to be rather awful... With that being said - there is no dominant, head and shoulders team to fear. Even with Romo's injury - this division is wide open for the taking.

Hell, even with the Romo injury - Vegas has NY/DAL, Week 1 a Pick'em game.

I actually respected Stephen's decision to just say fock it, and roll with the rook. Though I do expect them to still sign a vet, as Showers is light years from ready to see the field. We can agree on that?

My first point being they were horrible going the retread route last year, and found out that a first class offensive line just isn't enough.

They're in a tough spot, as Dallas is a win now town. Well, at least the fans are. But I'd hate to see this kid get ruined by undue expectations and pressure, sort of like Quincy was. Though I agree Prescott is probably far more talented than Carter, the truth is the team did the latter no favors in his development. Take the pressure off the kid, make his development a priority both on the field and in the newspapers, and let the chips fall. With Dez, Elliott, this offensive line, and the NFC East you have a puncher's chance.

My first point being they were horrible going the retread route last year, and found out that a first class offensive line just isn't enough.

They're in a tough spot, as Dallas is a win now town. Well, at least the fans are. But I'd hate to see this kid get ruined by undue expectations and pressure, sort of like Quincy was. Though I agree Prescott is probably far more talented than Carter, the truth is the team did the latter no favors in his development. Take the pressure off the kid, make his development a priority both on the field and in the newspapers, and let the chips fall. With Dez, Elliott, this offensive line, and the NFC East you have a puncher's chance.

I was adamant that we did not need to bring in a veteran qb - then Romo went down. As soon as he did - I was adamant that we now needed to find one. We just can't roll with 2 qbs who've never taken a snap in the NFL.

Both Weeden and Cassel were slow, both had horrendous foot work and Cassel had too long of a winding delivery. Neither could escape the pocket and neither had the pulse of the team. Even w/out Dez - they should of been able to move the chains at least some of the time. I'm not sure of the stats - but we had to lead the league in 3 and outs.... At the very least, I feel Dak is the best chance we have, in our current situation, to move the chains.

I don't believe Quincy was a victim of circumstance and undo pressure. Carter's problem was 1) he wasn't very bright, 2) he had bad mechanics and 3) he had a lazy/pot head attitude. Dak is the exact opposite of that.... Ever heard of the famous Bill Parcells 7 Rules for Drafting a QB? Of all the top prospects in the 2016 class, Prescott was the only one who pegged all 7.. Connor Cook was 2nd with 6. I'm not worried at all about Dak's mental stability - not nearly as much as I'm worried about our defense.

I was adamant that we did not need to bring in a veteran qb - then Romo went down. As soon as he did - I was adamant that we now needed to find one. We just can't roll with 2 qbs who've never taken a snap in the NFL.

Both Weeden and Cassel were slow, both had horrendous foot work and Cassel had too long of a winding delivery. Neither could escape the pocket and neither had the pulse of the team. Even w/out Dez - they should of been able to move the chains at least some of the time. I'm not sure of the stats - but we had to lead the league in 3 and outs.... At the very least, I feel Dak is the best chance we have, in our current situation, to move the chains.

I don't believe Quincy was a victim of circumstance and undo pressure. Carter's problem was 1) he wasn't very bright, 2) he had bad mechanics and 3) he had a lazy/pot head attitude. Dak is the exact opposite of that.... Ever heard of the famous Bill Parcells 7 Rules for Drafting a QB? Of all the top prospects in the 2016 class, Prescott was the only one who pegged all 7.. Connor Cook was 2nd with 6. I'm not worried at all about Dak's mental stability - not nearly as much as I'm worried about our defense.

He'll struggle against these defenses, the important thing is to not let him lose confidence or get hurt. Christ I hope Bryant goes easy the first time the rook misses him on a route. Funny you mention Connor Cook. He's looking really good in his role so far. Quick delivery, good arm. Looks a little jumpy at times but that's to be expected. He's no checkdown artist, already throwing into triple coverage. Not sure if that's a good thing or not... But he'll start for some team one day, you can count on that.

R20 reasons why Dallas choked this win away - and Dak is way down the list.

* The best Cowboys RB on the field wasn't named Zeke.

* When it mattered, when everyone on the planet knew they would run the ball, we got our asses kicked up front and couldn't make a stop. Raise your hand if you've heard that before.. Good thing we went offense 1st, then a guy who won't even suit up till 2017 (maybe) with our first two picks.

* Our wrs looked like they were getting paid by the drop.

* 1 for 8... That's Dez's line today - unfreaking acceptable. We didn't put him in motion, didn't throw any quick slants - nothing. This coaching staff is a joke.

* Terrance Williams - please Gawd cut him today. I hope people finally wake up and realize what I've been saying about this idiot for 2 years now.

yeah, definitely saw some positive things for dak, but there are other problems that need to get fixed yesterday. throwing a screen to witten, but not doing more to get dez involved early? seriously? and why not ride the hot hand and pound the rock with morris?

granted, eli needed dez and beasley to drop sure TDs--not to mention twill donating his brain to science--in order to sneak out of arlington with a win, but moral victories don't affect the playoff picture.

yeah, definitely saw some positive things for dak, but there are other problems that need to get fixed yesterday. throwing a screen to witten, but not doing more to get dez involved early? seriously? and why not ride the hot hand and pound the rock with morris?

granted, eli needed dez and beasley to drop sure TDs--not to mention twill donating his brain to science--in order to sneak out of arlington with a win, but moral victories don't affect the playoff picture.

NE are masters of getting average wrs open via crossing routes and, yes, picks. We NEVER run any - why??? To not use Dez's 6'2", 210 lbs monster frame on quick slants is mind boggling to me. To not put him in motion and have a TE or wr cut in front of him is just giving defenses breaks. I truly don't understand it.

And in case nobody noticed, as I've said for years now - our LB corps sucks. It's embarrassing to watch them try and stop a running plays they KNOW are coming.

Week 4 only QB starting 4 games in the NFL not to have thrown a pick.

Week 4 only QB starting 4 games in the NFL not to have thrown a pick.

Rookie qb, on the road, team down 14-0 early..... The kid not only doesn't panic, he takes control of the team and brings them back to a win. I'm seriously curious what his resting heart rate is - it's must be like 48 or something.

Rookie qb, on the road, team down 14-0 early..... The kid not only doesn't panic, he takes control of the team and brings them back to a win. I'm seriously curious what his resting heart rate is - it's must be like 48 or something.

yeah, really needed to see him work through adversity, and he did that yesterday. while his accuracy is still pretty bad, that can be fixed. in the most important stuff, i'm starting to believe that we got the best QB in the draft.

is there any point where the Cowboys start to delay the return of romo?

if we hit the bye at 5-1, there are going to be some late-night-oil-burning sessions. as of right now, DAL still hasn't beaten anybody. the next 2 weeks represent excellent tests for the state of the cowboys.

understand, the pressure has not been on dak to go out and win shootouts against quality teams. his job has been to minimize mistakes and let the running game carry the load. when it comes time to confront playoff-caliber teams, that's not going to be enough. we know for a fact that romo can carry the team in those situations (because he has done it so many times). we need dak to show that he can do it.

if he does, then romo just might get bledsoed.

yeah, really needed to see him work through adversity, and he did that yesterday. while his accuracy is still pretty bad, that can be fixed. in the most important stuff, i'm starting to believe that we got the best QB in the draft.

Yea - he will throw out a wobbly ball now and then, it's a wonder one hasn't been picked yet.... But I agree, he needs to work on accuracy. I thought it was extremely impressive to see him roll to his right then hit Butler in the corner for that td.... Um, Dak is looking really good. But so is Wentz - I think he's going to be a special qb.

Yea - he will throw out a wobbly ball now and then, it's a wonder one hasn't been picked yet.... But I agree, he needs to work on accuracy. I thought it was extremely impressive to see him roll to his right then hit Butler in the corner for that td.... Um, Dak is looking really good. But so is Wentz - I think he's going to be a special qb.

wentz has looked very good, but something was mentioned on pregame yesterday that jumped out at me. among QBs with at least 500 yards passing, dak is 7th in air yards per attempt. wentz is in last place (3.19 AY/att). what this means is that wentz is the beneficiary of an enormous amount of YAC by receivers--over half his total yardage comes from YAC. per PFF, 33% of his completions against the steelers were screen passes. dak is getting fewer freebies.

now, every week i see a few downfield lasers come out of wentz's hand and think "i wish we saw more that from dak." but like i said, i'm more and more convinced that we got the right guy.

and an unrelated tidbit, have been hearing rumors that jaylon's nerve is already firing, and that he has been seen working out without the brace. i won't believe anything without photo evidence, but...

wentz has looked very good, but something was mentioned on pregame yesterday that jumped out at me. among QBs with at least 500 yards passing, dak is 7th in air yards per attempt. wentz is in last place (3.19 AY/att). what this means is that wentz is the beneficiary of an enormous amount of YAC by receivers--over half his total yardage comes from YAC. per PFF, 33% of his completions against the steelers were screen passes. dak is getting fewer freebies.

now, every week i see a few downfield lasers come out of wentz's hand and think "i wish we saw more that from dak." but like i said, i'm more and more convinced that we got the right guy.

Aaron Rodgers has 3.60 Air Yards/ATT fwiw, and 45.2% of his passing yards are YAC.

A big aspect of YAC is also the fact that the quarterback is putting the ball in spots where receivers are able to work after the catch. It's why the quick slants have always worked in Green Bay. Rodgers puts the ball where the receiver can get to it and run with it.

Here's some visuals of Wentz "dinking and dunking"

http://www.phillyvoice.com/carson-wentz-should-be-real-quarterback-stop-dinking-dunking/

and an unrelated tidbit, have been hearing rumors that jaylon's nerve is already firing, and that he has been seen working out without the brace. i won't believe anything without photo evidence, but...

I hope like hell he's everything advertised. We've held our own against some medicore offenses. But we're in dire need of plamaking linebacke who can be a run enforcer. .. I am not looking forward to what AJ Green is going to do to us - then Rodgers after that.

i fully expect them to go back to romo. but, how long can he possibly last once they do?

No way the Cowboys go back to Romo now.

They would be "stupid" to do it.

I think he has confirmed he is the QB for the future in Dallas. He's looked good and performed beyond expectations so far. Romo only has a few productive years left, so it's good they have someone ready and waiting who can perform in game pressure situations.

agreed. but some of us need him to be the qb NOW... lol

I think he has confirmed he is the QB for the future in Dallas. He's looked good and performed beyond expectations so far. Romo only has a few productive years left, so it's good they have someone ready and waiting who can perform in game pressure situations.

No way the Cowboys go back to Romo now.

They would be "stupid" to do it.

yeah. after all, the last time romo had a run game like this, he only finished the season with a 70% completion rate, a 3.4:1 TD:INT ratio, and a league-leading 119 passer rating.

4 games against very weak competition is enough to show that the rookie is way better.

• Like 1