Sign in to follow this  
Apollo Creed

Steal of the Draft

Charles is 30.....the kiss of death for RB's.

As a Ware owner in many leagues, I am by no means convinced he is going to get enough touches to be consistent all year. Charles is coming back. It would be a shock for him not to come back from just an acl injury. I am sure he is still dynamic enough to warrant his fair share of touches during the season.

Buuut, hypothetically speaking if Charles doesn't come back, my trio of Djohns, Bell, and Ware would be solid.

Charles is 30.....the kiss of death for RB's.

There have been some good seasons by 30+ backs. Priest scored 27 TDs the year he turned 30. Guys like Thomas Jones, Marcus Allen, seemed to have a lot of good 30+ years. (LT was one guy who rarely got injured that I thought would keep running well into his 30's but didn't.) The key is injuries. Jones had a 9 game season, but didn't miss many other games, and Allen was mostly healthy his whole career (one season, 89 I think, was bad). Holmes had some injuries, but he came into the league older so he skews a bit high.

Charles had been injured a LOT. So yeah, age is likely to keep him from being one of those productive 30+ers. Age plus injuries is a bad combo.

• Like 1

There have been some good seasons by 30+ backs. Priest scored 27 TDs the year he turned 30. Guys like Thomas Jones, Marcus Allen, seemed to have a lot of good 30+ years. (LT was one guy who rarely got injured that I thought would keep running well into his 30's but didn't.) The key is injuries. Jones had a 9 game season, but didn't miss many other games, and Allen was mostly healthy his whole career (one season, 89 I think, was bad). Holmes had some injuries, but he came into the league older so he skews a bit high.

Charles had been injured a LOT. So yeah, age is likely to keep him from being one of those productive 30+ers. Age plus injuries is a bad combo.

Besides the two acls I remember Charles being pretty healthy

I got Ware at 16.10, in a 14-team draft! Someone else grabbed C. West, thinking HE was the RB2. ;)

After Larry Johnson's explosion YEARS ago - I've made a habit of drafting KC's RB2 with my "Mr. Irrelevant," last round pick. :headbanger:

Besides the two acls I remember Charles being pretty healthy

Besides two ACL tears, he's been healthy? :) I don't mean he's had a lot of different injuries. I mean he's been in the category of injured for a lot of his career.

Besides two ACL tears, he's been healthy? :) I don't mean he's had a lot of different injuries. I mean he's been in the category of injured for a lot of his career.

He has been healthy or a complete scratch. Easy to predict when he will be usable until now, probably because he is a little older. Might also have to do with him being a smaller back than most main carry guys.

He has been healthy or a complete scratch. Easy to predict when he will be usable until now, probably because he is a little older. Might also have to do with him being a smaller back than most main carry guys.

Tons of evidence on how ACL tears and surgeries shorten careers. http://www.regenexx.com/nfl-acl-surgery-2/

Odds are not in his favor.

Edit: And you know, I've always had the impression that Charles is a smaller guy too. But I did a quick Google. He's listed at 5'11'' and 199. According to BleacherReport in 2013, "Only two of the top 10 running backs in the NFL last year [2012] stood over 6'0" tall. Adrian Peterson and Arian Foster were the two players above 6-feet that ran for at least 1,215 yards."

AD is 220, Lynch was 215, and they're 'big' backs (not Lacy/Bettis big, but big). So I don't know that 5'11''/199 is all that small.

Edit again: yeah, that 199 IS in fact pretty small. :wave: Looking into it more, that's Tevin Coleman/Ameer Abdullah sort of weight. In fact, Charles is Tevin Coleman minus 7 pounds.

I'm a ware owner, (but not Charles) if you have RB depth than he is a sell high.... I would go after guys like DeSean or Greg Olsen. Personally though... I'm holding as I doubt anyone will give me solid return... the Charles owner just offered me Wallace... psssh

Wallace oh my soul , now that's just not right.

I'm a ware owner, (but not Charles) if you have RB depth than he is a sell high.... I would go after guys like DeSean or Greg Olsen. Personally though... I'm holding as I doubt anyone will give me solid return... the Charles owner just offered me Wallace... psssh

You would give up that much potential at rb for DeSean or Olsen? No way. I want more than that. Kbenj is a solid trade. Maclin in ppr might be a good buy too.

I doubt anyone would give up either Maclin or kbenj, after how they looked week 1... I think parlaying a 9th for a 5-7th is pretty good at this point in time, especially if you don't want to worry for RBBC or wait for Charles to get hurt. But yeah IRL I'm holding him... I would potentially try to package ware and Cobb for something sexy if Cobb could put up a good week 2

I doubt anyone would give up either Maclin or kbenj, after how they looked week 1... I think parlaying a 9th for a 5-7th is pretty good at this point in time, especially if you don't want to worry for RBBC or wait for Charles to get hurt. But yeah IRL I'm holding him... I would potentially try to package ware and Cobb for something sexy if Cobb could put up a good week 2

I wouldn't parlay a lottery ticket for a 6th or 7th round player. DJax? A one trick poney that is a frustrating weekly play. No thanks. I'll keep the guy that will help me win for the next week or two and then see what happens from there. Even if Charles comes back and takes the job there is still a chance of another injury or Charles having a flare up in his knee that would cause him to miss more time. When Ware is playing he is a high RB1.

We still going by draft position here? Maclin was way undervalued in ppr, don't care where he was drafted. When I get offers for him in my ppr dynasty it's for basically nothing. And when I use him in trades he doesn't get much respect.

We still going by draft position here? Maclin was way undervalued in ppr, don't care where he was drafted. When I get offers for him in my ppr dynasty it's for basically nothing. And when I use him in trades he doesn't get much respect.

I'm only citing draft position because it is week one, and whether the player in question had a great or poor week, most owners are still clinging to their perceived base value... and yes, I would take Maclin over someone like DeSean and potentially Olsen unless my team was shaky at TE. As said in another thread, I think the time to move ware is now... he had a great game and any Charles owner should value him higher than anyone else...

So, I know you are in favor of keeping Ware... but as a Ware owner who does not have charles, what type of player would you be looking to get in trade?

So, I know you are in favor of keeping Ware... but as a Ware owner who does not have charles, what type of player would you be looking to get in trade?

If I was going to trade him it's for a receiver I think I can count on each week. No one is going to trade a stud rb for him, and past the top studs there are a lot of question marks at the rb spot. So it's probably for a receiver. Maybe a panicked Gronk owner but I highly doubt that happens.

I would be fine with Benjamin or Maclin. I like Baldwin a lot too. These guys are a tier below the top guys, or at least they are perceived that way. I also think Jordan Matthews is a good buy low still. I screwed up by not sticking to my guns on him. Should have him in two more leagues.

Now Fitz is interesting. The guy is starting off like last year, looking like a stud and getting targets inside the red zone. What the hell happened last year? He was doing great and then hit a brick wall. He is a little more risky because of all the other options to throw to on his team. Though personally I would like to see the Cards run the Djohns and Fitz show while making the other receivers compliments. I think their offense runs best that way.

. Even if Charles comes back and takes the job there is still a chance of another injury or Charles having a flare up in his knee that would cause him to miss more time. When Ware is playing he is a high RB1.

Agreed.

He's like the Deangelo Williams last year and for a few games this year, it seems.

If I had him, I'd ride it out and enjoy the production while / if it lasts.

I got Ware in the 7th in a league, and people said it was a horrible pick

I took Woodhead in the 5th in the same league and got the same response

I took Riddick in the 11th and more of the same

You are either insanely brilliant or lucky... :ninja:

Jamal charles doesn't turn 30 until the end of December.

Riddick went in the 12th in our league, seems like a steal.

It's not the age, it's the injuries. Two knees is more than double the trouble of one knee. ACLs are bad--we think they aren't so bad anymore because of the few standouts that perform well afterwards. But most do not. And the fact that he came back well after one knee doesn't mean he will after this one. The day he turns 30 isn't a magical day. It's the idea that he'll continue to heal less rapidly, and have a lot of juice gone out of the legs. ACL surgeries shorten careers, almost all the time.

It's not the age, it's the injuries. Two knees is more than double the trouble of one knee. ACLs are bad--we think they aren't so bad anymore because of the few standouts that perform well afterwards. But most do not. And the fact that he came back well after one knee doesn't mean he will after this one. The day he turns 30 isn't a magical day. It's the idea that he'll continue to heal less rapidly, and have a lot of juice gone out of the legs. ACL surgeries shorten careers, almost all the time.

Oh I agree. Was just correcting the assumption he was already 30 in the thread.

Oh I agree. Was just correcting the assumption he was already 30 in the thread.

Gotcha. Although, when I register for races, I register as the age I'll be at the end of the season. So this is Charles' "30 year" :) But you're right, we shouldn't send his cards yet.

Both

Charles owner in one of my leagues took Ware in the 6th. I berated him for awhile about how horrible it was. Even with how Ware did week 1 i still think it was awful, but he might have hit the jackpot if Charles stays out for awhile or doesn't get his starting job back.

Charles owner in one of my leagues took Ware in the 6th. I berated him for awhile about how horrible it was. Even with how Ware did week 1 i still think it was awful, but he might have hit the jackpot if Charles stays out for awhile or doesn't get his starting job back.

That's just how it goes, my brother caught flak for drafting Manning when he came back from neck surgery with the 1st pick in the 2nd round... he was ranked to go 3-4th... he proceeded to break the TD record and crush the league. Ware could be a beast, but could also be in a RBBC

my thought was every year, I seem to gamble or reach on a guy that is coming back off an injury, or expecting to bounce back and they never have for me. So I went with the opposite approach and grabbed a guy who I know can be a monster if Charles never fully recovers

I took him in the 7th, but oh no I missed out on potential stars like John Brown, Ertz Gore, Matt Jones, Delanie Walker, Tavon Austin, Rashad Jennings, Desean Jackson, Allen Hurns and Carolina D. After 1 week the only guys that went in the 7th of that draft that I would consider over him is Crabtree or Brady

In my keeper league where if you have a viable RB you keep him I took ware in the 6th and Riddick in the 9th and started them both week 1 and everyone was clowning me until it was halftime of those 1 pm games

Deangelo williams is 33 years old and has over 1850 career touches. Guy had 170 total yards on sunday with 2 tds.