Sign in to follow this  
RedzoneMonster

Why No Mariota Love?

I'm amazed that Mariota is ranked so low by most publications this week and not on any WW articles seeing as how he's only 85% owned on CBS. Dude put up good numbers most games he played as a rookie and had a pretty good game vs. a good MIN D last week. He has a year under his belt now and great weapons, including Sharpe and Murray to throw to. He gets a shootout with DET this week and has a nice schedule rest of the way minus 2 or 3 games. Yet he's ranked in the 20's at QB this week and no talk about him anywhere.

I guess QB is so deep now maybe he doesn't stand out, IDK?...

I'm amazed that Mariota is ranked so low by most publications this week and not on any WW articles seeing as how he's only 85% owned on CBS. Dude put up good numbers most games he played as a rookie and had a pretty good game vs. a good MIN D last week. He has a year under his belt now and great weapons, including Sharpe and Murray to throw to. He gets a shootout with DET this week and has a nice schedule rest of the way minus 2 or 3 games. Yet he's ranked in the 20's at QB this week and no talk about him anywhere.

PFF gave Mariota the worst Week 1 QB grade. I mean worst. They graded Keenum better.

PFF gave Mariota the worst Week 1 QB grade. I mean worst. They graded Keenum better.

There's real life then fantasy. All I know is in fantasy he gave me 21 pnts and was top 12 for the week. All the while playing one of the top 3 or 4 DEFs he's going to see all year.

I simply don't think he has enough weapons and there are better options. I think he could be a perrenial top 10 QB, but he needs more talent around him. Maybe he busts out this year, but I'm taking a wait and see approach before I draft him.
  • Like 1

I simply don't think he has enough weapons and there are better options. I think he could be a perrenial top 10 QB, but he needs more talent around him. Maybe he busts out this year, but I'm taking a wait and see approach before I draft him.

Sharpe, Matthews, D. Walker and D. Murray catching balls out of the backfield aren't good weapons? I know they're not Randy Moss and jerry Rice but come on.

I think you're too high on him. There are a lot of options at QB and in standard formats he finished with only 15 points, good for 16th overall. His weapons are below par compared to other NFL teams, and he's on a run first team. No reason to be ecstatic about this guy yet.

Sharpe, Matthews, D. Walker and D. Murray catching balls out of the backfield aren't good weapons? I know they're not Randy Moss and jerry Rice but come on.

No. If I thought they were good weapons, I'd have ranked him higher.

If you think they're good weapons, and he doesn't have a great season, are you going to say that Mariota just isn't a really good QB? I'm not. I think it's going to take some time because the guys around him aren't that good...yet.

• Like 1

Not yet. Matthews is a career under performer. He's never did anything to warrant him being a weapon. Murray is coming off a bad season, but we know he has the skills. Walker is legit, top five talent. Sharpe is a 6th rounder. If he was a stud he would have been drafted higher. Does that mean he's not very good, no, plenty of players have slipped through the cracks and became super stars that were drafted late.

Bottom line is Mariotta is surrounded by potential talent. Murray gets back to form and Henry becomes what he could be, look out! If Sharpe can become a legit #1 and consistently move the chains, make some big plays and find the endzone, then he'll be considered a good weapon. He played 63 snaps last week compared to Matthews/Douglas 35 apiece, so Sharpe is on his way!! Sky is the limit for Mariotta, but he really needs another WR to step up and for Sharpe to become the real deal.

There's real life then fantasy. All I know is in fantasy he gave me 21 pnts and was top 12 for the week. All the while playing one of the top 3 or 4 DEFs he's going to see all year.

And you don't think a poor RL performance, bad decision making and everything, would be a reason to not be thinking he'll pay great fantasy dividends week to week?

And you don't think a poor RL performance, bad decision making and everything, would be a reason to not be thinking he'll pay great fantasy dividends week to week?

All I know that as rookie, with worse weapons as he has this year, in the 11 games he played he had 3 games with 4 total TDs, 3 games with 2+ Tds and only 3 games he would have killed you (vs BUF, CAR, NYJ - all good D's). All I see is this for last weeks game. 271 / 2TDs /1 INT looks pretty good vs one of the best D's he'll see all year. Im not saying he's going to be Rodgers, but when I see guys like Brock, Dalton, Alex Smith ranked higher than him I'd rather go with Mariota's upside.

I think you're too high on him. There are a lot of options at QB and in standard formats he finished with only 15 points, good for 16th overall. His weapons are below par compared to other NFL teams, and he's on a run first team. No reason to be ecstatic about this guy yet.

This x100. You're waaaay too high on him to be thinking clearly

I watched that entire game last week. I was really surprised with his performance. The INT wasn't the part that suprised me, it was actually how badly he handled throwing that INT. You could see it on his demeanor he crumbled after that pick. I'm not sure what was different, because obviously he's thrown them before, but it was different for him and it spiraled out of control in a hurry.

As far as usage this week, I would expect a good bounce back. They had several designed runs for him. I'd start him no problem.

Starting with confidence. He is undervalued. He put up a decent 20 pts in a low scoring conservative game where he made some mistakes.

This^. Look, Im not saying he's going to be elite or anything. I just think he's undervalued by being ranked in the 20's at QB. I honestly think at the end of the season he'll easily be a top 12 fantasy QB. Maybe I'm wrong who knows, but I don't think its crazy to think that.

This^. Look, Im not saying he's going to be elite or anything. I just think he's undervalued by being ranked in the 20's at QB. I honestly think at the end of the season he'll easily be a top 12 fantasy QB. Maybe I'm wrong who knows, but I don't think its crazy to think that.

I think when you're talking QB's 12-20, it's pretty much a crapshoot. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at 10 or 20.

In a 4pt passing TD league I was hoping he would do more with his legs. There was talk that they would show more read option looks. That didn't seem to be installed against the Vikings so I don't know if that is coming. If he could get 40 yards on the ground each game that would make him a QB1 type. Without that it isn't going to happen.

I think Mariota is still a year or so away. Not so much due to his own lacking but the team he is on.

The Titans are not a QB friendly team and when he got there they were nothing.

In year 2 though Mariota and the team has gotten better. They have an improved offense with a couple of RBs and improved OL.

Mariota is a capable back up this season and will have his moments of stardom. He will not quite have the consistency to be a solid QB1 this season.

If he improves some and the team adds/develops some people to catch the ball I think he has the potential to be a starter next season.

I agree with MM upside RELATIVE to where people are ranking him, I figure he finishes in Top 8-10 QBs.

Got him in 9th round of my 16 team PPR league when everyone else drafting QBs way early.

Played vs Cam last week and only sacrificed -3 points with MM, while my top pick AJ Green killed the opposition (Cam was taken first round right after AJ).

This is why you have to draft QBs late and look for value like MM in really deep leagues.

The bottom line is I don't expect elite QB1 numbers but best of QB2 numbers with MM to not give up much and let the rest of the squad carry me.

I am thinking of giving him some love this week. I have Luck but he aint going against Denver for me. I also have Prescott who I have zero confidence in. Mariota is sitting out there as a FA I just have to make up my mind. Its a one week deal and then back to Luck, I wouldn't sit Luck against anyone else.

I am thinking of giving him some love this week. I have Luck but he aint going against Denver for me. I also have Prescott who I have zero confidence in. Mariota is sitting out there as a FA I just have to make up my mind. Its a one week deal and then back to Luck, I wouldn't sit Luck against anyone else.

Luck has had three really good games in his last three against Denver.

I'll admit it - I was totally wrong. TEN passing game BLOWS.

I'll admit it - I was totally wrong. TEN passing game BLOWS.

Bump

I'll admit it, I was totally wrong about being totally wrong! Mariota is playing even better (fantasy-wise) than I expected him to this season.

He has a great TE, very solid backfield, and a couple of decent receivers. And can run himself.

He really shouldn't have many bad weeks, but he's been inconsistent.

Schedule gets slightly tougher after their bye, but add a true WR1 and he could/should be a constant top 5 QB going forward, or even higher.

Yes, his schedule gets tougher after the bye so unless you need him these next few weeks, chances are, you may not want him after.

Guy is shredding the last month. If they can find a true #1 WR talent in the offseason this guy could be pretty special.

His name is Rishard Matthews. Dude is a stud.

I love Rishard but I don't think he's the true #1. He's a hell of a #2 though.

I think Rishard Matthews is the Marvin Jones of the Titans.

I went with Mariota over Arod because of the weather in Washington. It would've cost me if my opponent played a similar strategy but he stuck with Big Ben over Winston and paid the price. Thank you, oh great and powerful winds of Lake Erie!

Lesson learned: weather doesn't affect Rodgers