Sign in to follow this  
Big Guy

2017 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME NOMINEE FAN VOTE

As a former mobile DJ when I got a request for Journey it was either by a girl or a guy hoping to get laid by requesting it.

Yup. In high school, you TOLD chicks that you were into Journey.

I play Journey because I like them.

I'm more into the "easy rock" sort of music anyway.

Eagles, Journey, Boston (to a degree) etc.

I'm not judging anyone's tastes,music is subjective as it should be,but to call ELO and Yes sh!t music just because you don't appreciate their superior musicianship can be offensive to someone like me who loves both bands.I'm a music fanatic and try not to step on toes of music that doesn't appeal to me,just asking the same of a fellow DJ. :cheers:

BTW I will openly admit I do like a few Journey songs,I just wouldn't put them in my top 100 bands.

• Like 1

Yeah. Kevin Corrigan led them down a path. Got their huge album, but lost their way

Kevin Cronin but yep you nailed it otherwise. :thumbsup:

Kevin Cronin but yep you nailed it otherwise. :thumbsup:

That's it. Good catch

I'm not judging anyone's tastes,music is subjective as it should be,but to call ELO and Yes sh!t music just because you don't appreciate their superior musicianship can be offensive to someone like me who loves both bands.I'm a music fanatic and try not to step on toes of music that doesn't appeal to me,just asking the same of a fellow DJ. :cheers:

BTW I will openly admit I do like a few Journey songs,I just wouldn't put them in my top 100 bands.

Fair point.

This is America 2016, we only speak hyperbole when speaking about any subject, especially when it's a subject or object we may know nothing about.

• Like 1

Fair point.

This is America 2016, we only speak hyperbole when speaking about any subject, especially when it's a subject or object we may know nothing about.

On the internet I'm an expert at EVERYTHING!!!!! :banana:

Journey was great before they got lame. They were the first band I ever saw live.

When did JOURNEY get lame for you?

"Look Into the Future" was my 1st Journey LP, and I got to ride a great wave until "Raised On Radio" when Steve Perry fired Ross Valory (original member) in favor of Randy Jackson ( American Idol ) and drummer Steve Smith. Steve Perry was simply being a and it showed in the music.

More of an AM radio guy huh? ;)

:lol:

I got Kraftwerk's Radioactivity in '75 for my birfday and imo it was so unique and such a departure from anything available then that I became a fan.I think the HOF should include groundbreaking music and if Kraftwerk doesn't fit that bill than no one does.

I was just joking, but still not a fan of your choice :P I only know them by "Autobahn" and loved it, I just wouldn't put them in the Hall before Journey.

More of an AM radio guy huh? ;)

Yeah. Right.

Carpenters, Captain and Tennile, Zep, Stones, Beatles, Skynyrd, ACDC and Van Halen.

All the AM greats.

when did they get "lame"

Capture in 1981 was their last great album.

Then came Escape In that same year. It is the epitome of lame. Nothing but Steve Perry sappy ballads. Everything after that was just as sh!tty.

Possible exception is the intro and first verse of Don't Stop Believing. The song goes downhill quickly when they hit the chorus.

The Cars don't belong either.

A unique sound and at the forefront of New Wave, but overall, still not all that great.

The Cars don't belong either.

A unique sound and at the forefront of New Wave, but overall, still not all that great.

5 albums that went plat. is nothing to sneeze at, but I'm with you.

Then came Escape In that same year. It is the epitome of lame. Nothing but Steve Perry sappy ballads. Everything after that was just as sh!tty.

Possible exception is the intro and first verse of Don't Stop Believing. The song goes downhill quickly when they hit the chorus.

Stone in love is pretty good

There was a lot of that in the transition from 70's to 80's,most notably for me was REO Speedwagon going from great rock classics like Golden Country,Like You Do,Riding The Storm Out to...In Your Letter :huh:

Yep REO and Journey made that transition around the same time.

Sadly, "Keep on Loving You" and "Open Arms" define those bands moreso than "Roll With The Changes" and "Wheel in The Sky"

Yep REO and Journey made that transition around the same time.

Sadly, "Keep on Loving You" and "Open Arms" define those bands moreso than "Roll With The Changes" and "Wheel in The Sky"

Wow, I know a lot more by these bands than I thought. I know all of those except Roll with the Changes

Wow, I know a lot more by these bands than I thought. I know all of those except Roll with the Changes

Case in point. It was done before the Hi Infidelity album, which was the best selling sappy lame album of all time.

Also, give it a rest Newbie. We all know you're an expert on sh!tty sappy music.

Styx > REO Speedwagon

saw the Foreigner, REO and Styx concert. I had a chub the whole time.

Not to mention there is really no such thing as south Detroit. Technically that's Windsor, Ontario Canada.

Case in point. It was done before the Hi Infidelity album, which was the best selling sappy lame album of all time.

Also, give it a rest Newbie. We all know you're an expert on sh!tty sappy music.

I am not an expert of any music. From any genre. Nor is my name Newbie. But if it helps you sleep at night. :banana:

Tupac will get in bcoz the legend grows following a tragic death... I have no idea who some of those are on this list, but I'm a no to Steppenwolf and Yes.

Journey

The Cars

ELO

Depeche Mode

Styx > REO Speedwagon

There's another one that went lame. Styx focking rocked it with Renegade, Blue Collar Man and Come Sail Away.

Then.......Mr Roboto, Lady and all the other lame stuff. Ugh.

There's another one that went lame. Styx focking rocked it with Renegade, Blue Collar Man and Come Sail Away.

That's what happens when you let a complete 'mo run the band. Dennis Deyoung is the ultimate pansy ass

Tommy Shaw :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dennis Deyoung :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

That's what happens when you let a complete 'mo run the band. Dennis Deyoung is the ultimate pansy ass

Tommy Shaw :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dennis Deyoung :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Check out Shaw-Blades. Great covers of classic rock songs with a new twist. Their harmonies are awesome.

Check out Shaw-Blades. Great covers of classic rock songs with a new twist. Their harmonies are awesome.

Damn Yankees. :thumbsup:

Sure Uncle Ted is a redneck douche, but he could play the geetar

Styx > REO Speedwagon

:first:

Tupac will get in bcoz the legend grows following a tragic death... I have no idea who some of those are on this list, but I'm a no to Steppenwolf and Yes.

Journey

The Cars

ELO

Depeche Mode

YES has been as good as any band ever, Prog Rock Rules as far as musicianship and content. Sadly the only way the average Joe knows of them is because of a few choice cosmic mainstream moments.

• Like 1

Bad Brains > Every other band on that list

ETA:

Bad Brains

Depeche Mode

Jane's Addiction

Kraftwerk

Pearl Jam

YES has been as good as any band ever, Prog Rock Rules as far as musicianship and content. Sadly the only way the average Joe knows of them is because of a few choice cosmic mainstream moments.

Yea they were never really mainstream. I don't ever recall buying a Yes cd or album - but I did like their sound.

Bad Brains > Every other band on that list

ETA:

Bad Brains

Depeche Mode

Jane's Addiction

Kraftwerk

Pearl Jam

:lol:

never heard of them......bless us with a gem

Yea they were never really mainstream. I don't ever recall buying a Yes cd or album - but I did like their sound.

I loved them from my start......YES "Fragile" was my very 1st album, it's still in my top 10.

That rocked SUX. :headbanger:

All this hate for the Cars.....they are a staple on classic radio. They should definitely get the nod. Journey and ELO as well.

Maybe Jane's Addiction, they use to rock pretty good back in the day. Steppenwolf would most likely be my 5th vote, but I could be easily swayed.

• Like 1

Dude,Lady is from 1973 their first big hit and if you really want to hear Styx rock it I suggest checking out their 1975 project Equinox.

Exactly,Prog Rock is like no other genre there is,some of my favs include early Genesis,Kansas,Alan Parsons Project and latter not so well known bands like Porcupine Tree,RPWL and Alias Eye.

• Like 1

Dude,Lady is from 1973 their first big hit and if you really want to hear Styx rock it I suggest checking out their 1975 project Equinox.

He probably meant Babe

• Like 1

That rocked SUX. :headbanger:

Did you hear that, mutherfuckers?

A former GOTY just endorsed Steel Panther. :thumbsup:

Discussion closed on their greatness, imo.