Sign in to follow this  
vuduchile

Little League Drama

Had a marathon board meeting to decide coaches and process for team selection tonight.

Parents demanding certain coaches, coaches wanting to stack teams, divorced parents both want to coach their son's team.

More girls wanna play baseball instead of softball because they didn't like the coach last year. Half the board wants to tell them they have to play softball, but the other half is too afraid they'll be labeled sexist.

Holy sh!t! This is a focking rec league! Chill out and focus on teaching kids to play the game.

The season hasn't even started and I'm already annoyed.

Rec leagues are tricky. There is a disparity of talent and desire. There is also a disparity of coaching philosophy. I don't think that "stacking" teams is necessarily a bad thing. Some coaches are unwilling or unable to find playing time for certain players.

Had a marathon board meeting to decide coaches and process for team selection tonight.

Parents demanding certain coaches, coaches wanting to stack teams, divorced parents both want to coach their son's team.

More girls wanna play baseball instead of softball because they didn't like the coach last year. Half the board wants to tell them they have to play softball, but the other half is too afraid they'll be labeled sexist.

Holy sh!t! This is a focking rec league! Chill out and focus on teaching kids to play the game.

The season hasn't even started and I'm already annoyed.

I think this is what the libs call progress.

In all honesty, why can't you guys just come up with a random selection process?

Works elsewhere and sure takes a lot of unnecessary stress off your shoulders.

Example , 56 players, eight coaches, have seven of each number one through eight, draw number. Problem solved. And yes, I know the numbers don't work out enough for a baseball team, but you get it.

In all honesty, why can't you guys just come up with a random selection process?

Example , 56 players, eight coaches, have seven of each number one through eight, draw number. Problem solved. And yes, I know the numbers don't work out enough for a baseball team, but you get it.

I don't get it. Those Numbers don't work for a baseball team. Please correct

I prefer an actual draft. For minors, we have 3 teams 13-14 kids in each team. This gives each coach a chance to get a cross section of players and to pick kids that are friends if they choose to.

I don't get it. Those Numbers don't work for a baseball team. Please correct

:clap:

I feel ya vudu. Don't miss the Little League board BS at all. Got out about 4 years ago and have been asked to come back every year since. I just laugh in their face. Kids were great, parents and a lot of coaches were a pain in the ass.

• Like 1

I feel ya vudu. Don't miss the Little League board BS at all. Got out about 4 years ago and have been asked to come back every year since. I just laugh in their face. Kids were great, parents and a lot of coaches were a pain in the ass.

A few people can really suck the fun right out of the whole league.

Wow, sounds like the basketball league that I used to coach in...

• Like 1

A few people can really suck the fun right out of the whole league.

only takes 1

• Like 1

Wow, sounds like the basketball league that I used to coach in...

After nights like last night, I contemplate walking away and letting someone else deal with the headaches.

I know I'd have a lot more fun just watching my kids from the stands.

But, among all the critics and know-it-alls, very few of them will take the responsibility of actually putting the time in with the kids on the field as a coach.

Sure, they're all glad to help as an assistant, but are just far too busy to be the main guy.

Bullsh!t. I run a biz, have 2 young kids, am President of the Lions Club, Chairman of Board Trustees at church, play in the band, coach little league baseball, basketball and football, teach at elementary science club, walk for an hour every morning, play a little golf and tennis and still find time to keep my young, hot wife (and yours too) sexually fulfilled.

Shut your focking bottled water hole unless you're willing to get out there with us and work with the kids.

Coached Soccer, basketball and baseball for 9 years and was on the league board. For those of us in charge, every decision we make has to be for the good of the league. Every parent only thinks about their kid. Luckily I had great parents, couldn't have asked for better.

• Like 1

Had the same thing in rec soccer. They went to random drawing of kids and told parents your 30 dollar fee pays for a shirt, a trophy and the chance to practice with a team, it does not guarantee play time. Etc etc

Draft is pretty much the only way to go. It's what every rec league around here has done and there is no one getting upset at all over it. The only problems I had growing up playing in rec league was my buddy and I playing traveling ball year round so when we played rec league we were easily better than everyone. I would go up and hit a homerun then he would go up and hit a line drive that went straight into the outfield, hit the fence, and broke the wooden sign hung on the fence for advertisement. First and only time I ever heard a coach get out on the field and say we shouldn't be playing because we "hit the ball too hard for these kids".

I prefer an actual draft. For minors, we have 3 teams 13-14 kids in each team. This gives each coach a chance to get a cross section of players and to pick kids that are friends if they choose to.

This is how we did it when I coached my daughter. I wouldn't want to do it any other way.

• Like 1

Draft is pretty much the only way to go. It's what every rec league around here has done and there is no one getting upset at all over it. The only problems I had growing up playing in rec league was my buddy and I playing traveling ball year round so when we played rec league we were easily better than everyone. I would go up and hit a homerun then he would go up and hit a line drive that went straight into the outfield, hit the fence, and broke the wooden sign hung on the fence for advertisement. First and only time I ever heard a coach get out on the field and say we shouldn't be playing because we "hit the ball too hard for these kids".

I like how you hit the homerun and he didn't...

• Like 1

I like how you hit the homerun and he didn't...

Well in all fairness he hit more homeruns than me. In just that instance though I hit the homerun and he shattered the wooden sign. His was far more impressive

I'm sorry please tell me again how you were reminiscing in your old yearbook over your ex? :lol:

I've already told that story very clearly. Unlike some, I appreciate self-deprecating humor.

Sure you did. It's also why everyone was laughing at you :lol:

My favorite from that thread about you

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/17/03/f4/1703f45ebba39ce6f8fdab947c1af8a1.jpg :lol:

I knew you were borderline retarded, but holy sh!t, you're stupider than I thought.

The whole point of posting a thread like that is to give you idiots an opportunity to make fun of me.

I knew you were borderline retarded, but holy sh!t, you're stupider than I thought.

The whole point of posting a thread like that is to give you idiots an opportunity to make fun of me.

Yep sure it was. FYI we didn't need an opportunity. It's an every day occurrence for you. Have fun loser :wave:

Yep sure it was. FYI we didn't need an opportunity. It's an every day occurrence for you. Have fun loser :wave:

It has finally happened. I've completely run out of ways to call you dumb.

Congratulations.

It has finally happened. I've completely run out of ways to call you dumb.

Congratulations.

:wave: must be nice to be blissfully retarded. Could be the low T you have as well. Not sure. It's like shooting fish in a barrel with you. Kinda feel bad now :(

I was thinking back to little league when I played, and how a lot of it you probably couldn't do now. We had an actual tryout as part of the draft. You were either drafted by one of 6 teams or found out you sucked when you were assigned to a minor league team. In my case I was only 8 yrs old (had to be 9 to make the bigs), but a coach saw potential in me and drafted me as a "Taxi." A Taxi played in the minors but was claimed by his big team for future years. He also could be called up if one of the kids couldn't make the game. Most importantly, the uniforms had special gold vs. black lettering to let the other minor leaguers know that we were superior and that they were losers in life.

Our team names were sponsor names, kinda like Chico's Bail Bonds. My minor league team was gawd awful (won maybe one game), but the team was Dairy Queen, and we got free ice cream after every game. :D

I was thinking back to little league when I played, and how a lot of it you probably couldn't do now. We had an actual tryout as part of the draft. You were either drafted by one of 6 teams or found out you sucked when you were assigned to a minor league team. In my case I was only 8 yrs old (had to be 9 to make the bigs), but a coach saw potential in me and drafted me as a "Taxi." A Taxi played in the minors but was claimed by his big team for future years. He also could be called up if one of the kids couldn't make the game. Most importantly, the uniforms had special gold vs. black lettering to let the other minor leaguers know that we were superior and that they were losers in life.

Our team names were sponsor names, kinda like Chico's Bail Bonds. My minor league team was gawd awful (won maybe one game), but the team was Dairy Queen, and we got free ice cream after every game. :D

That's how it was when I grew up. You had the "tryouts" where you were evaluated and teams could get a look at your skills. Then they stopped it for some reason (guess they couldn't get people out there for it).

The ideal situation for a kid would be:

The city, cub scouts, etc. set up a league for the kids to join. The league will provide an umpire for each game.

The kids organize their own teams with a kid as captain, they must find a sponsor to pay for uniforms, league fees, etc. The kids will set up thier own practices, determine who plays what position and help each other with the basics of the game. They could find an older kid to help them.

The league sets up a schedule

The kids play ball!

No parents, relatives or family friends just kids having fun playing ball.

We had something similar. Tryouts took place at the start of the season for basketball and baseball.

The best players were selected for the travel team and the balance played in the rec league.

I asked my dad just now how they split up the rec league teams and he said coaches drafted after try outs.

Football was different as we were assigned teams by weight. 85lb team, 95lb team, etc.

Also, I hit a home run during try outs. Blasted it outta the park and smashed the windshield of the commissioner's red corvette.

After rounding the bases in record time, I took a piss on the ump's shoes and spent the rest of the day chewing tobacco and heckling my classmates.