Sign in to follow this  
titans&bucs&bearsohmy!

*** 80's Song Draft *** Completed

I'll never judge anyone's taste in music however I have to ask why the Michael Jackson pick then? If it was for popular vote I get that or do you prefer MJ over Yes?

Again,whatever your tastes in music are fine with me I'm just trying to select iconic songs that I wouldn't be ashamed to have blaring with my window down when I pull up to a stop light.

When I think 80's I think Michael Jackson and Van Halen's Jump, among many others. A song from MJ and Jump were my first two picks. That song from Yes is a great song but I couldn't see drafting it over the three I chose thus far. As you said though, it's subjective and some are drafting solely based on what they would play at home, I'm drafting more of what reminds me most of the 80's and what I think represents that decade in popular music. I wouldn't turn Billie Jean up to 10, that's for sure.

When I think 80's I think Michael Jackson and Van Halen's Jump, among many others. A song from MJ and Jump were my first two picks. That song from Yes is a great song but I couldn't see drafting it over the three I chose thus far. As you said though, it's subjective and some are drafting solely based on what they would play at home, I'm drafting more of what reminds me most of the 80's and what I think represents that decade in popular music. I wouldn't turn Billie Jean up to 10, that's for sure.

:thumbsup: I thought your picks were great was just curious how you were choosing.As a former mobile DJ I learned to like it all,especially if a nice tip was involved for getting their requested song on next. :walkman:

:thumbsup: I thought your picks were great was just curious how you were choosing.As a former mobile DJ I learned to like it all,especially if a nice tip was involved for getting their requested song on next. :walkman:

I'd already thought we had quite a lot of DJs and former DJs in this place before I knew you were in that group.

4.05 Take On Me - A-ha

Lovvvvvvve that song

Was a cool video too, especially for its time.

Also, Jerry is married but I'm not. How you doin'? :wub:

I said this earlier, but we're all doing a really excellent job I think. The songs chosen continue to impress.

Was a cool video too, especially for its time.

Also, Jerry is married but I'm not. How you doin'? :wub:

I start picking Billy Squier songs and you should REALLY be worried :o

I start picking Billy Squier songs and you should REALLY be worried :o

:D

Doves cry is #1. I'd go Little Red Corvette #2, and Raspberry Beret #3.

Not to name drop, but I think Prince is safely out of the bag.

:mad:

No song dropping of previously unpicked songs.

You may be hosting but this is my baby !!!

:mad:

No song dropping of previously unpicked songs.

You may be hosting but this is my baby !!!

I told you several times

That I didn't like his kind

Because he name-drops too leisurely

I had one on deck that charted on Billboard in 1980 but I just realized was released late 79. Thoughts?

I had one on deck that charted on Billboard in 1980 but I just realized was released late 79. Thoughts?

I'd say 'no' but wouldn't be upset if TBBOM said 'yes'. It's (literally) a borderline call.

I think release date is the key.

But if its initial charting was in 1980, fock it, go ahead.

No cause I was going to go with the cure killing an Arab which was released on an album in 82 but radio release was 79

I've got a song that was released in 1990 but doesn't belong in that musically crapass decade. It's really an 80s song that just came along a bit late to the party is all. I figured though I'd have to toss it back in.

I swear, if I were to do this for the 90s, every song I pick would have been released in '90 or '91.

I graduated HS in '89, went in the Army off to Germany and then ran around the Iraqi desert and when I got back stateside in '92 everything sucked musically.

I didn't think I'd take an MJ but if available send onem take

03.07 Beat it. Michael Jackson

Need a ruling on my next potential pick. Song was written well before 1980 but was re released as a cover in the 80s and was a huge hit. However it contained the original band as well. I probably gave it away but curious

At the fockin' rate we're going we'll be able to do a 2010-2019 music draft when this is over.

I've got a song that was released in 1990 but doesn't belong in that musically crapass decade. It's really an 80s song that just came along a bit late to the party is all. I figured though I'd have to toss it back in.

I swear, if I were to do this for the 90s, every song I pick would have been released in '90 or '91.

I graduated HS in '89, went in the Army off to Germany and then ran around the Iraqi desert and when I got back stateside in '92 everything sucked musically.

For sure nothing but nirvana chili peppers and smashing pumpkins

Need a ruling on my next potential pick. Song was written well before 1980 but was re released as a cover in the 80s and was a huge hit. However it contained the original band as well. I probably gave it away but curious

Do they wear, ohhh, ADIDAS in the video???

You get the crapass RUN-DMC version of a legendary song.

Do they wear, ohhh, ADIDAS in the video???

You get the crapass RUN-DMC version of a legendary song.

There's a great story to how and why that song was written.

• Like 1

There's a great story to how and why that song was written.

I don't know the story.

I poke fun but I am glad that the collaboration happened. It revived Aerosmith because they were pretty much done by the early 80s and this kicked them into gear such that they came back with some good tunes in that later half of the 80s which we may not have gotten otherwise.

Ok. Fandandy told me the song he's talking about. It was released in late November 1979, early December in the US, and made its initial billboard appearance in 1980 from what I can tell.

It pains me to do this for two reasons. One, its such a focking great song. And two, now i'll have to rule on a million borderline cases.

But this one's so close, I have to allow it. Go ahead Fandandy.

What's the story?

The band was needing a big hit for the Toys In The Attic project and apparently their creative juices weren't flowing and as it was getting late in the evening the guys were getting a little chippy with one another so Steven Tyler suggested they take a break,get stoned and go see a movie.The movie was a midnight showing of Young Frankenstein and if you've seen the movie I think you can put the rest of it together.

• Like 1

The band was needing a big hit for the Toys In The Attic project and apparently their creative juices weren't flowing and as it was getting late in the evening the guys were getting a little chippy with one another so Steven Tyler suggested they take a break,get stoned and go see a movie.The movie was a midnight showing of Young Frankenstein and if you've seen the movie I think you can put the rest of it together.

Cool. I never heard that.

I compromised there too. My favorite cure song is off of Disintegration, which was also 80's, but the one I picked is also great and better known.

Mine too :thumbsup:

4.05 Take On Me - A-ha

Lovvvvvvve that song

The vid was amazing, too. Very breakthrough (pun intended)

:thumbsup: Nice

Incredible song. Love it till this day. Still played on the radio regularly :thumbsup:

Ok. Fandandy told me the song he's talking about. It was released in late November 1979, early December in the US, and made its initial billboard appearance in 1980 from what I can tell.

It pains me to do this for two reasons. One, its such a focking great song. And two, now i'll have to rule on a million borderline cases.

But this one's so close, I have to allow it. Go ahead Fandandy.

You can tell us what it is. Shotsup took Michael Jackson - Beat It.

That way we can stall on Ed as usual.

I pickeded.

Yes you did. Sorry. Entered.

And fandandy's pick was pm'd to me.

3.08 Another Brick In the Wall (Part II) - Pink Floyd

Here are the guidelines for future borderline picks.

If it was released at the end of 1979, like the above, I will allow it. I mean the end. Not August.

If it is a cover, like Walk This Way, so long as the COVER was released in the 80's, fine. But you get the cover version of course.

Sorry Volty, December 1989 is the cutoff. If it was released in 1990, it was first heard by us in the 1990's. Doesn't count.

Those are my thoughts.