Sign in to follow this  
titans&bucs&bearsohmy!

*** 80's Song Draft *** Completed

True dat. That's the fun of threads like this. Even though I'm not drafting, I showed my wife this thread last night, then we took turns finding 80's songs we love on youtube. :cheers:

Its amazing how many really great songs are out there from that era. My cheat sheet could easily be 200 deep.

There were so many great albums, and all those albums had 4 or more great tunes.

Its amazing how many really great songs are out there from that era. My cheat sheet could easily be 200 deep.

There were so many great albums, and all those albums had 4 or more great tunes.

I could also say this but it would be the 70's for me because IMO that was the decade when a huge musical explosion took place thus giving us pretty much every genre there is today.

Voltaire - 3.11 Tom Sawyer. - RUSH

Yes indeed, thanks.

Vudu has 4.2 in the tank as well.

• Like 1

It's just past midnight her in China, I sent TBBOM a PM on the phone to tell him he's up, waited. It says 'delivered' not 'read' and I've gotten no reply, Now I'm going to bed myself. It would appear that he's already out for the night.

do you guys think this will get finished by the summer of the year that's 51 years from now?

do you guys think this will get finished by the summer of (20)'69 ?

The Masters draft will finish first. :D

• Like 1

The Masters draft will finish first. :D

Yeah, you would have to commuting on some sort of Lunatic Locomotive to sign up for something like this.

Yes indeed, thanks.

Vudu has 4.2 in the tank as well.

Wow, I totally thought Moving Pictures came out in the late 70s and was ready to call foul, but apparently it was 1981. IMO this is the ultimate "I'm picking songs I like and hope others do too" pick, as it wasn't necessarily commercially successful, but the first time I heard it, as a music snob, I was like :shocking: :music_guitarred: .

Wow, I totally thought Moving Pictures came out in the late 70s and was ready to call foul, but apparently it was 1981. IMO this is the ultimate "I'm picking songs I like and hope others do too" pick, as it wasn't necessarily commercially successful, but the first time I heard it, as a music snob, I was like :shocking: :music_guitarred: .

Tom Sawyer wasn't commercially successful? Are you focking nuts?

• Like 1

Tom Sawyer wasn't commercially successful? Are you focking nuts?

Chart positions: #44 US Hot 100; #8 US Mainstream Rock; #25 UK

Was friends with a couple kids back then whose dad was the cool dad, shot hoops with us, worked for Binney & Smith (makers of crayola crayons so always had cool art supply stuff in their garage) and he was a DJ... First time I heard of rush it moving pictures and Tom Sawyer and was cause of him...as well as tnt and dirty deeds by acdc)

Chart positions: #44 US Hot 100; #8 US Mainstream Rock; #25 UK

Was friends with a couple kids back then whose dad was the cool dad, shot hoops with us, worked for Binney & Smith (makers of crayola crayons so always had cool art supply stuff in their garage) and he was a DJ... First time I heard of rush it moving pictures and Tom Sawyer and was cause of him...as well as tnt and dirty deeds by acdc)

I'd call that pretty commercially successful :dunno:

I'd call that pretty commercially successful :dunno:

Sorry but those stats by themselves don't get you onto a "best of all time" 80s list. :dunno:

Sorry guys.

3.12 - In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins

4.1 - Just Like Heaven - The Cure

Great picks. In the Air Tonight was a fantastic anthem, and while I wasn't into The Cure at the time, that is arguably the seminal "punk" song from that era. :cheers:

Great picks. In the Air Tonight was a fantastic anthem, and while I wasn't into The Cure at the time, that is arguably the seminal "punk" song from that era. :cheers:

Not Punk

Goth or Alternative ok

• Like 1

John Mellencamp (although this song came out during his 'John Cougar' period)

4.2 John Mellencamp - Jack and Diane

John Mellencamp (although this song came out during his 'John Cougar' period)

4.2 John Mellencamp - Jack and Diane

Good pick. It was one of the three or four I was considering.

The Draft order is as follows. I generated it with a randomizer, it happened to work out that volty and I are on the turn, which works well given time differences.

1. RaiderHater

2. Hardcore troubadour

3. vuduchile

4. edjr

5. fandandy

6. shotsup

7. cruzer

8. dain11279

9. Nzoner

10. Suxbnme

11. Voltaire

12. Titans

Let's do ten rounds.

We'll expect it to be slow until after the weekend is over. After that, I will put a 24 hour clock on picks.

If anyone else wants to play, let me know. We'll make you an alternate.

1.01- Livin On A Prayer Bon Jovi RaiderHater

1.02- Superfreak Rick James Hardcore Troubadour

1.03- Sweet Child O' Mine Guns N' Roses Vuduchile

1.04 Pour Some Sugar On Me Def Leppard Edjr

1.05 Billy Jean Michael Jackson Fandandy

1.06 Welcome to the Jungle Guns N' Roses Shotsup

1.07 You Shook Me All Night Long ACDC cruzer

1.08 When Doves Cry Prince dain11279

1.09 Every Breath You Take The Police Nzoner

1.10 Like A Virgin Madonna Suxbnme

1.11 Back In Black ACDC Voltaire

1.12 With Or Without You U2 Titans

2.01 London Calling The Clash Titans

2.02 Master of Puppets Metallica Voltaire

2.03 Here I Go Again Whitesnake Suxbnme

2.04 Under Pressure Queen & Bowie Nzoner

2.05 Hungry Like The Wolf Duran Duran dain11279

2.06 Come On Eileen Dexy's Midnight Runners cruzer

2.07 Still of the Night Whitesnake Shotsup

2.08 Jump Van Halen Fandandy

2.09 Don't Stop Believing Journey Edjr

2.10 Crazy Train Ozzy Osbourne Vuduchile

2.11 White Lines Grandmaster Flash Hardcore Troubadour

2.12 Don't You Forget About Me Simple Minds RaiderHater

3.01 Jesse's Girl Rick Springfield RaiderHater

3.02 Mony Mony Billy Idol Hardcore Troubadour

3.03 Dead or Alive Bon Jovi Vuduchile

3.04 Thriller Michael Jackson Edjr

3.05 Money For Nothing Dire Straits Fandandy

3.06 The Heart of Rock and Roll Huey Lewis & the News Shotsup

3.07 How Soon Is Now? The Smiths cruzer

3.08 Paradise City Guns N Roses dain11279

3.09 Lunatic Fringe Red Rider Nzoner

3.10 Rebel Yell Billy Idol Suxbnme

3.11 Tom Sawyer Rush Voltaire

3.12 In the Air Tonight Phil Collins Titans

4.01 Just Like Heaven The Cure Titans

4.02 Jack and Diane John Mellencamp Voltaire

4.03 Suxbnme

4.04 Nzoner

4.05 dain11279

4.06 cruzer

4.07 Shotsup

4.08 Fandandy

4.09 Edjr

4.10 Vuduchile

4.11 Hardcore Troubadour

4.12 RaiderHater

5.01 RaiderHater

5.02 Hardcore Troubadour

5.03 Vuduchile

5.04 Edjr

5.05 Fandandy

5.06 Shotsup

5.07 cruzer

5.08 dain11279

5.09 Nzoner

5.10 Suxbnme

5.11 Voltaire

5.12 Titans

6.01 Titans

6.02 Voltaire

6.03 Suxbnme

6.04 Nzoner

6.05 dain11279

6.06 cruzer

6.07 Shotsup

6.08 Fandandy

6.09 Edjr

6.10 Vuduchile

6.11 Hardcore Troubadour

6.12 RaiderHater

7.01 RaiderHater

7.02 Hardcore Troubadour

7.03 Vuduchile

7.04 Edjr

7.05 Fandandy

7.06 Shotsup

7.07 cruzer

7.08 dain11279

7.09 Nzoner

7.10 Suxbnme

7.11 Voltaire

7.12 Titans

8.01 Titans

8.02 Voltaire

8.03 Suxbnme

8.04 Nzoner

8.05 dain11279

8.06 cruzer

8.07 Shotsup

8.08 Fandandy

8.09 Edjr

8.10 Vuduchile

8.11 Hardcore Troubadour

8.12 RaiderHater

9.01 RaiderHater

9.02 Hardcore Troubadour

9.03 Vuduchile

9.04 Edjr

9.05 Fandandy

9.06 Shotsup

9.07 cruzer

9.08 dain11279

9.09 Nzoner

9.10 Suxbnme

9.11 Voltaire

9.12 Titans

10.01 Titans

10.02 Voltaire

10.03 Suxbnme

10.04 Nzoner

10.05 dain11279

10.06 cruzer

10.07 Shotsup

10.08 Fandandy

10.09 Edjr

10.10 Vuduchile

10.11 Hardcore Troubadour

10.12 RaiderHater

It's held up well over the years. And for Rush songs, this is their most famous.

To the greater point, yeah, I have to check these early 80s songs, I was born in 1971 and they blur with 70s songs in that they've been around for as long as I can remember.

Back in Black, that I took earlier, I hadn't realized was 80s either. I knew it was a tribute to Bon Scott, from when Brian Johnson became the new lead singer but I'd not known when Bon died to tie it in to the year 1980.

4.03 Purple Rain - Prince

By far his best song. :music_guitarred:

Damn. That was my next pick

I saw it dangling there and thought about that one too when I posted my comments leading into the 3/4 corner. I figured it was a better pick for a Prince fan to make, I'm not going to try to impress people with songs somebody else likes better, I'll going to go straight with songs that I like better.

But yeah, it was the 2nd Prince song taken and the one I like better than the first. Scores well in the 'good picks for other people' category.

As a huge fan of 70's progressive rock music I was a bit surprised when my next pick was released in 1983 but immediately was hooked by the opening as were countless others as this song not only was #1 on the rock charts but on the pop charts as well and even nominated as best pop song.

4:04 Owner of A Lonely Heart-Yes

• Like 1

As a huge fan of 70's progressive rock music I was a bit surprised when my next pick was released in 1983 but immediately was hooked by the opening as were countless others as this song not only was #1 on the rock charts but on the pop charts as well and even nominated as best pop song.

You dirty bastard.

In the other thread talking about doing this draft that was one of the first songs I thought of. I love that song.

Damn. Nice one. Never would have thought of it, as they are a 70's band in my mind.

Well done.

• Like 1

Doves cry is #1. I'd go Little Red Corvette #2, and Raspberry Beret #3.

Not to name drop, but I think Prince is safely out of the bag.

You dirty bastard.

In the other thread talking about doing this draft that was one of the first songs I thought of. I love that song.

I'll never judge anyone's taste in music however I have to ask why the Michael Jackson pick then? If it was for popular vote I get that or do you prefer MJ over Yes?

Again,whatever your tastes in music are fine with me I'm just trying to select iconic songs that I wouldn't be ashamed to have blaring with my window down when I pull up to a stop light.

Not Punk

Goth or Alternative ok

As a huge Cure fan, I 100% agree with the above.

Not even close to punk.

I saw it dangling there and thought about that one too when I posted my comments leading into the 3/4 corner. I figured it was a better pick for a Prince fan to make, I'm not going to try to impress people with songs somebody else likes better, I'll going to go straight with songs that I like better.

But yeah, it was the 2nd Prince song taken and the one I like better than the first. Scores well in the 'good picks for other people' category.

OK...you are confusing the fvck out of me right now.

Please elaborate in simple words. tia

imo, Purple Rain is by far his best song lyrically (Yes, he didn't write it, but he sang it) and music wise, plus it was the name of the movie that pushed him over the edge, so to speak.

Leave me alone, I'm kinda buzzed.

Damn. Nice one. Never would have thought of it, as they are a 70's band in my mind.

Well done.

Thank you and I could name numerous 70's band that got much greater commercial/pop success in the 80's thanks to MTV.

Thank you and I could name numerous 70's band that got much greater commercial/pop success in the 80's thanks to MTV.

Like mebbe Heart of Glass?

As a huge Cure fan, I 100% agree with the above.

Not even close to punk.

I compromised there too. My favorite cure song is off of Disintegration, which was also 80's, but the one I picked is also great and better known.

OK...you are confusing the fvck out of me right now.

Please elaborate in simple words. tia

imo, Purple Rain is by far his best song lyrically (Yes, he didn't write it, but he sang it) and music wise, plus it was the name of the movie that pushed him over the edge, so to speak.

Leave me alone, I'm kinda buzzed.

Last night when I posted this:

I'm looking at the next few picks I have coming up on the 3/4 corner and for a while I was tempted to look at the pop charts and take blockbusting songs that other people like and get critical acclaim, but I decided against it. While I do like those songs, they're not my favorites. I'm just going to continue to do throughout the draft what I did at 1.11 and 2.2 and pick the songs I like from the artists I like and not weigh too heavily the influence from those lists other than as suggestions.

Prince's Purple Rain was one of the two songs I was thinking of. It's a good pick for somebody else. Same with the Yes one that just went. I only have ten spots, I'm not giving one to Prince. I like Prince but Prince has people that like him far more than I do. I play his music but not frequently. My roster is going to be filled with songs that I like better, by artists I like better, which I know were less popular but I'm going to take them anyway and am willing to deal with it.