Sign in to follow this  
sderk

Why is Carlos Hyde bouncing around so much?

I thought he was a pretty decent back in SF. But then Cle, then Jacksonville, and now KC. 

He will probably win the rushing title next year. :dunno:

He is a solid but unspectacular workhorse, who thrived in Cleveland for the first month or so, when he was getting a ton of carries. When he got to Jacksonville he flopped in a backup role. Unless your going to give him a usage role, I'm not sure what he will do for you besides depth, in a reserve situation. The fact that KC is arguably the best offense in football, is probably a good thing for the honorable Mr. Hyde.

2 hours ago, sderk said:

I thought he was a pretty decent back in SF. But then Cle, then Jacksonville, and now KC. 

I thought he ran well in SF and in Clev as well............ when there were something approaching lanes. Hyde was the starting RB at a point where defenses could load up on the run vs Clev and by the time the passing game was threat enough the youngster was the beneficiary instead with Hyde gone. I wouldn't read too much into lack of production in Jax on his 3rd playbook in a short time with new teammates to run behind in a team dumpster fire situation.

Damien Williams is on the smaller side and even if he is able to handle a significant workload over the course of a season without breaking down I suspect KC will want to conserve touches until the playoffs. Hyde could potentially get every 3rd or 4th series to begin the season, possibly GL, and most likely close out the game duties.

Definition of late draft risk-reward depth pick this year, especially in best ball IMO until we get more info.

Edit:  Also while I still think Williams would be the RB to own at this point, the guys who have a level of certainty he will post stud numbers are funny IMO.

I got a chuckle out of this Twitter post

"
More

Hyde to KC is AMAZING for Damien Williams. Also, my girlfriend rented our guest bedroom to her ex-boyfriend, Diesel. They broke up after he joined the Marines. He does stunts for the movies now. Stuff with motorcycles. And he owns a gym. I can't wait to meet him. I'm so happy."

• Like 1

Great question.  

Agree I wouldn’t look to close at his lack of production with the Jags, that team was a bad situation. 

I think he could really give D Williams a good run, I have to readjust my ranking when it comes to both. 

D Willams value will take a hit, but Hyde with this KC team could be a real bargain. 

1 hour ago, lesjroza said:

Damien Williams is on the smaller side and even if he is able to handle a significant workload over the course of a season without breaking down I suspect KC will want to conserve touches until the playoffs. Hyde could potentially get every 3rd or 4th series to begin the season, possibly GL, and most likely close out the game duties.

Williams is only 5 pounds lighter than Hyde.

But in today's NFL, it does make sense to have 2 or 3 cheaper RBs that fit the system than 1 great, expensive RB.

3 hours ago, lesjroza said:

I thought he ran well in SF and in Clev as well............ when there were something approaching lanes. Hyde was the starting RB at a point where defenses could load up on the run vs Clev and by the time the passing game was threat enough the youngster was the beneficiary instead with Hyde gone. I wouldn't read too much into lack of production in Jax on his 3rd playbook in a short time with new teammates to run behind in a team dumpster fire situation.

Definition of late draft risk-reward depth pick this year, especially in best ball IMO until we get more info.

Edit:  Also while I still think Williams would be the RB to own at this point, the guys who have a level of certainty he will post stud numbers are funny IMO.

I got a chuckle out of this Twitter post

"
More

Hyde to KC is AMAZING for Damien Williams. Also, my girlfriend rented our guest bedroom to her ex-boyfriend, Diesel. They broke up after he joined the Marines. He does stunts for the movies now. Stuff with motorcycles. And he owns a gym. I can't wait to meet him. I'm so happy."

Williams was 222 coming out of college and 5'11. I wouldn't consider that small.

10 hours ago, sderk said:

Shanahan wanted "his guy" in San Fran and Hyde was at the end of his rookie deal. In CLE, we should have seen been able to predict Chubb was going to be a factor when he went early in the second and again when Hyde wasn't showing much efficiency. The Jags were a bad situation, as has been noted above.

I like Hyde in KC. We'll have to wait and see if the Chiefs targets an RB on the first day or two of the draft. If they do, I'm probably betting on that rookie. If not, I'll probably acquire a ton of shares in Hyde in the middle to late rounds as opposed to buying Williams in the second.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Vikings4ever said:

Williams is only 5 pounds lighter than Hyde.

But in today's NFL, it does make sense to have 2 or 3 cheaper RBs that fit the system than 1 great, expensive RB.

14 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Williams was 222 coming out of college and 5'11. I wouldn't consider that small.

You guys could be right............. but weights also tend to bounce and guys who aren't naturally thick can lose 10-15 pounds over the course of the playing season, especially at the RB position.

Players also target areas (such as weight) at the point of measurement they feel they deviate from the "prototypical" NFL version for their position in a way to diminish doubts (because $$$$ y'all) and it can further cloud a true read. Rumors are, we saw a version of this with Kyler Murray this year who supposedly gained weight, for the combine but then did not run the 40 at the combine because the weight would have hurt his time. Now its possible he will lose the weight, not weigh in at his pro day but run the 40. 

Williams looks more slight to me visually and significantly lighter than a player like Hyde. Regardless of his weight he has never gone through a full season of bell cow touches though he has been in the league awhile. 

Optical illusion for me alone? Possibly, but to me a 15 lb difference between Hyde and Williams looks about right.

Anyway..................I don't want to belabor the point such that it appears in my mind Hyde is a better option because he weighs more. I am not saying that and have already said I think currently Damien Williams would be the better bet........... but on relative cost I'd take Hyde for the shot he outperforms expectations with a bigger than expected role

FWIW if you type Damien Williams to Google search on the summary right side of the page here is a copy and paste of what comes up listing him at 212. According to my "optical illusion" I would say there is a 15 lb-ish difference between Williams and Hyde. His current Wiki page lists him at 221 which would close half of the gap of my impression but 212 would close the gap entirely. 

Damien Williams
Football running back

Description

Born: April 3, 1992 (age 26 years), San Diego, CA

Height: 5′ 11″
Weight: 212 lbs
Current team: Kansas City Chiefs (#26 / Running back)
Stats
Year
Team
ATT
YDS
AVG
TD
REC

Career

image.jpeg.cec938d6a4610f8a2021ce13ab3e14bb.jpeg

image.jpeg.88bf2b22d8ea500d32fe3cd834c6c525.jpeg

image.jpeg.025999d9fdc19d8745bc61af7fd4e977.jpeg

image.jpeg.22e9e015186d49520837319c852ea96d.jpeg

image.jpeg.ca6e98d9f076e2608c8bc9987ed56ad2.jpeg

Hyde’s last season with the Niners he did have 59 rec.  also that was his only sixteen game season. 

If he can stay healthy he can really be a special player this next season in ff. 

I think he can beat out D Williams, and Hyde could in up being a rb1 easly with KC. 

Hyde and a couple other Jaguars players were moved to make room for Nick Foles contract.

I think this is situation where both backs will be rotated and given the hot hand approach.  I will take the cheaper of the 2 options since that is my opinion.  I won't really on either as a weekly starter if I own them.

I own Williams in dynasty and thought I had fallen into a 3 down back in a high powered offense.  I bet they add another rookie and further muddy the waters.

4 minutes ago, Flgatorguy87 said:

I think this is situation where both backs will be rotated and given the hot hand approach.  I will take the cheaper of the 2 options since that is my opinion.  I won't really on either as a weekly starter if I own them.

I own Williams in dynasty and thought I had fallen into a 3 down back in a high powered offense.  I bet they add another rookie and further muddy the waters.

Based on talent I'd agree with you, but that strays so far from what we have come to know from Reid. Maybe he could be changing his philosophy, but Reid's RB usage history tells us one will become an every down back. 

8 minutes ago, Brutal Brutus said:

Based on talent I'd agree with you, but that strays so far from what we have come to know from Reid. Maybe he could be changing his philosophy, but Reid's RB usage history tells us one will become an every down back. 

Yeah. I agree, but I just don't think either guy is talented enough to warrant being a 3 down back.  When Spencer Ware was healthy for the couple games at the end of the year, Kareem was out of the picture, then we saw basically an even split with Williams.  It was a small sample size, but he rotated them by series if I remember correctly.  Then when Ware was not playing, we saw Damien Williams get the same number of carries, but no real increase like you would think as he was the only ball carrier besides Darryl Williams who still stole carries.  He was very productive on a moderate number of touches.

I just don't expect one guy to win the job and put up Kareem Lite numbers.   I also factor in all the little shuffle passes and rushes that get stolen from Reid having a fun offense.  I just worry there isn't a RB talent to warrant pulling away touches from those guys.

I think Hyde will be and can handle being the rb1 with KC 

Hyde is great when healthy.  he hasnt always been fully healthy.  Hes only played all 16 games once in his career.

granted, that career is a fairly young one still, but if you have him, he will start.  Just be aware you need at least a decent backup.

Always the case in ff , having a good backup. 

10 hours ago, pee-diddy said:

Hyde is one KC RB injury away from being the 2019 J. Conner. 

Although this could be true for a few other teams situations in backfield, I really think this is the case for Hyde.