Sign in to follow this  
Djgb13

Butter Chardonnay

Anyone tried this? Saw it at the Total Wine and More store my wife and I just left. Sounds interesting but the whole butter wine I’m not too sure about 

just another big chard. really nothing unusual about it.

2 minutes ago, BiPolarBear said:

Buttery chards were big in the 1980's, I believe. There is no butter in it. 

correct.  

you see much more variety now in how the vintners make their chards

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

just another big chard. really nothing unusual about it.

Ah I see. Wasn’t sure if they actually use butter in it or not (wouldn’t even know how the hell they would anyway). They just had a big display of it up with signs like “I like a little butter with my wine”. Made it seem like they use butter in it 

... the old stereotype for california chardonnay.

A nice warm glass of melted butter.   Mmmmmmmm

5 minutes ago, NorthernVike said:

A nice warm glass of melted butter.   Mmmmmmmm

hot buttered rum for your shanty

With that big round butt of yours I'd like to butter your muffin :wub:

9 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

Oak > Butter

Correct-O...  

If you don't like the buttr taste(I dont) go for the whites aged in stainless steel

the oak (and type of oak) help create the buttery taste via malolactic fermentation.  New American oak barrels really pull it out, whereas aged French barrels lead to more subtle flavors. Unoaked will be more lean, crisp and dry.  I find chardonnay to be very versatile and I enjoy the full range.

region/terrior will also impacts their flavors.... cooler climates produce more citrus, while warmer climates more tropical and stone fruit notes.

12 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

Oak > Butter

2 hours ago, supermike80 said:

Correct-O...  

If you don't like the buttr taste(I dont) go for the whites aged in stainless steel

And what's with this root beer sh!t?  There's no beer in it! 

There's probably no root in there either.  

I've been having butter in coffee lately.  It's damned good.  I know a guy who used to put a hunk of cheese in his coffee.  Might try that too.  

12 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

And what's with this root beer sh!t?  There's no beer in it! 

There's probably no root in there either.  

That's gold Jerry!

Wife and I tend to drink red wines but on the rare occasions we have a white, I like the buttery chards.  :dunno:

4 minutes ago, the s is ilent said:

Justin Wilson was asked which wines compliment certain dishes and he said "the one you like the best"

That statement does a disservice to both the food and the wine.  I am all for "drink what you like," but that does not mean random pairings are optimal.  Your favorite riesling is not going to do well with your filet or ribeye (pending sauce/seasoning).

9 hours ago, vuduchile said:

I've been having butter in coffee lately.  It's damned good.  I know a guy who used to put a hunk of cheese in his coffee.  Might try that too.  

Yesterday I tried egg cream coffee here in Vietnam. It's quite thick and creamy. Quite good. 

• Like 1

Know how you can tell this thread is super gay?......

Buttery Chard

26 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Yesterday I tried egg cream coffee here in Vietnam. It's quite thick and creamy. Quite good. 

I’ve been wanting to try that. I’ve seen the different ways different countries make their coffees and remember seeing that one. It honestly looked pretty dam good. Another country (can’t remember which one) used condensed milk. Not sure how that would turn out since the condensed milk tends to be really sweet 

I prefer whites over reds, and chardonnay is lower on the list to pinot grigio and cab sauvignon.  I even put it lower than a good dry moscato.  Don't know why.  :dunno:

8 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

I prefer whites over reds, and chardonnay is lower on the list to pinot grigio and cab sauvignon.  I even put it lower than a good dry moscato.  Don't know why.  :dunno:

have you tried chardonnay from burgundy (also often chablis), or in steel/un-oaked?

3 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

have you tried chardonnay from burgundy (also often chablis), or in steel/un-oaked?

That I have not.  I will check one out next time I am at Total Wine.  :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

That I have not.  I will check one out next time I am at Total Wine.  :thumbsup:

they are drier.... apple, pear, lemon are more common than the butter and vanilla (and higher density)you get  from the "californian" chardonnays.