Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Big Blue 06

Wife got laid off

Recommended Posts

My wife (34D) has been with the same mortgage company for 16 years.  Two years ago, they got bought by a larger company.  We have survived 3 rounds of layoffs since, but this time, they are laying off 3,000 employees, including her whole department.  Jobs getting outsourced to India.  Yay!

 

In truth, this works out perfectly for us.  We have a 6 year old girl in school and a 6 month old baby girl that is in daycare.  We’ve decided to have the wife stay home with the baby, at least until she starts preschool.  At least she has a nice severance package.  They gave her lots of notice, as she is there until October.   I know, rats arse, but I felt like sharing.

Also, feel free to make your jokes about the wife getting laid, laid on, and package (not sure what you can do with “severance” though).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are some pretty big titties. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got her working under the table :banana:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Blue 06 said:

they are laying off 3,000 employees, including her whole department.  Jobs getting outsourced to India.  Yay!

This is so stupid. I hate companies who do this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My genius (seriously) boss who auditioned for Jeopardy and got all their questions right,  gave me my goals for the year. When we had our meeting to discuss them, I pointed out that no one in the 150 year history of the company had ever accomplished any of the things I was to pull off that year. Naturally, he knew that already. Anyway, I got it all done, displaced an intrenched competitor, got a $160,000 opening order, when I didn't have to sell anything, and got the best review of my career. I also got a $30,000 bonus. This was followed three months later by a pink slip. Our company had been acquired by an investment group, and they made a 10% reduction to the staff. 

Very few people raise their kids anymore. They ship them off to day care and go on with their lives. We both had corporate jobs, and my wife was fully 50% of our income. She came to me one day and said she wanted to stay home and take care of the kids. I said OK, we will give it a try. We cut out eating out so much, going to the video store ($670 a year, by my estimate), and other stuff like her professional clothing and dry cleaning, and did just fine. I told her that I thought my bosses noticed our efforts to raise the kids ourselves, and that it accelerated my career. We had a third child, and she did not take a job until they were all out of grade school. That meant they all had someone to shuttle them around to swim teams, scouts, and other activities as well as an actual mom to supervise while they were eating and playing at home all day, instead of some at some kid watching business. 

Your decision to self-raise your children is rare, and easily the best thing that could be done for them. I do not see you failing or regretting this move. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BiPolarBear said:

My genius (seriously) boss who auditioned for Jeopardy and got all their questions right,  gave me my goals for the year. When we had our meeting to discuss them, I pointed out that no one in the 150 year history of the company had ever accomplished any of the things I was to pull off that year. Naturally, he knew that already. Anyway, I got it all done, displaced an intrenched competitor, got a $160,000 opening order, when I didn't have to sell anything, and got the best review of my career. I also got a $30,000 bonus. This was followed three months later by a pink slip. Our company had been acquired by an investment group, and they made a 10% reduction to the staff. 

Very few people raise their kids anymore. They ship them off to day care and go on with their lives. We both had corporate jobs, and my wife was fully 50% of our income. She came to me one day and said she wanted to stay home and take care of the kids. I said OK, we will give it a try. We cut out eating out so much, going to the video store ($670 a year, by my estimate), and other stuff like her professional clothing and dry cleaning, and did just fine. I told her that I thought my bosses noticed our efforts to raise the kids ourselves, and that it accelerated my career. We had a third child, and she did not take a job until they were all out of grade school. That meant they all had someone to shuttle them around to swim teams, scouts, and other activities as well as an actual mom to supervise while they were eating and playing at home all day, instead of some at some kid watching business. 

Your decision to self-raise your children is rare, and easily the best thing that could be done for them. I do not see you failing or regretting this move. 

I wish my wife would do this. She's a teacher so she does get lots of time off, but it's never enough.  You're so right about day care. Who is raising our children? The day care or the parent who spends 2-4 hours of awake time per day? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Firm believer in pre-school. As soon as possible, even it's just a few times a week. Socialization at an early age has shown to be beneficial, and you're just not going to get that from being in the house all day with a stay at home mom/dad. My two cents. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Firm believer in pre-school. As soon as possible, even it's just a few times a week. Socialization at an early age has shown to be beneficial, and you're just not going to get that from being in the house all day with a stay at home mom/dad. My two cents. 

I'm surprised someone like you would subject your children to liberal indoctrination so early in life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I'm surprised someone like you would subject your children to liberal indoctrination so early in life.

 Religious pre-school. It's staffed by nuns from South America and they are more patriotic than the public school. Flags everywhere and pledge of alligience every morning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife quit work a few years ago. A layoff would have been nicer in many aspects.

She says she will go back to work when the youngest is in school, but I am not sure I believe her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BiPolarBear said:

 

Your decision to self-raise your children is rare, and easily the best thing that could be done for them. I do not see you failing or regretting this move. 

seconded

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cdub100 said:

I'm surprised someone like you would subject your children to liberal indoctrination so early in life.

Lol 

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

 Religious pre-school. It's staffed by nuns from South America and they are more patriotic than the public school. Flags everywhere and pledge of alligience every morning. 

Double lol. You guys take this stuff so seriously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My kids have always been with either my MIL, my wife or me.  Never in day care.  Once they reached age 3-4, they were able to come to work with me.  I set up a little lounge area in the warehouse, with books, puzzles, art supplies, games, a tv etc.  As they've gotten older, they've taken on more responsibility at home and at the shop.  Cleaning, yard work, etc.   

There are exceptions but most child care joints aren't great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

 

Your decision to self-raise your children is rare, and easily the best thing that could be done for them. I do not see you failing or regretting this move. 

I agree, we had been looking for a way for her to not have to work anymore. Things fell into place for me with work and her getting laid off.  I don’t see any way we regret this, whatever happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vuduchile said:

My kids have always been with either my MIL, my wife or me.  Never in day care.  Once they reached age 3-4, they were able to come to work with me.  I set up a little lounge area in the warehouse, with books, puzzles, art supplies, games, a tv etc.  As they've gotten older, they've taken on more responsibility at home and at the shop.  Cleaning, yard work, etc.   

There are exceptions but most child care joints aren't great. 

My first daughter was always with my mom or mother in law during the week while my wife and I worked.  Now, they are both in their 60s and they don’t have the energy to handle a baby all day.  We found a decent daycare that we like and the baby has been there for the last few months,  but we would much prefer her to stay home with my wife.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Blue 06 said:

I agree, we had been looking for a way for her to not have to work anymore. Things fell into place for me with work and her getting laid off.  I don’t see any way we regret this, whatever happens.

Hopefully you can make it work.  My wife went half-time when our first was born, then stayed at home after our second.  We were fortunate that my career had grown to geek club bank to support each move.  Years later she went back to work when I got laid off.  Kids are grown now so she has worked since.  :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Those are some pretty big titties. 

I believe this played a part in her surviving the previous purges over the years.

 

ETA:  actually, I think I put a pic of those tig old bitties on here years ago, when she was just my girlfriend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×