Sign in to follow this  
BiffTannen

George Brett or Wade Boggs

Who is better  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the all around better 3rd baseman?

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Are you claiming that the Yankees would have been a better team with A Rod at short and Jeter at third? 

We’ll never know because A-Rod gave up playing SS (even though he played it better than Jeter) so he could join the team with the most bloated payroll in sports history.   

1 minute ago, vuduchile said:

We’ll never know because A-Rod gave up playing SS (even though he played it better than Jeter) so he could join the team with the most bloated payroll in sports history.   

Well, when you win a lot and throw in 4 world series it's going to cost you. And that was A Rods choice. Stop acting like Jeter was holding the team back instead of elevating it. 

I'm from Boston.

Fock Wade Boggs.  He hit women harder than the baseball

Just looked up some stats. I still say fock wade boggs, but check this out.

Owns the three most recent seasons with at least 200 hits, 100 walks, and fewer than 50 strikeouts: 1988, 1987 and 1986. Most recent prior to Boggs's three straight? Stan "The Man" Musial in 1953.

:o

Would have to return to baseball and go 0-for-854 for his lifetime batting average to fall below .300.

:lol:

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

Just looked up some stats. I still say fock wade boggs, but check this out.

Owns the three most recent seasons with at least 200 hits, 100 walks, and fewer than 50 strikeouts: 1988, 1987 and 1986. Most recent prior to Boggs's three straight? Stan "The Man" Musial in 1953.

Would have to return to baseball and go 0-for-854 for his lifetime batting average to fall below .300.

:lol:

I'll take Gwynn as a hitter over Boggs.  Very close though. 

3 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Well, when you win a lot and throw in 4 world series it's going to cost you. And that was A Rods choice. Stop acting like Jeter was holding the team back instead of elevating it. 

On the whole, I have more respect for Jeter than Arod.  It’s not even close. But who cares how much more I respect Jeter?

Fact is, Arod was a better SS.  This isn’t really even debatable.  

But Jeter was a captain and he was more than serviceable, so they kept him there.  

Heads up, Arod blows him away at SS but he agreed to the move to appease Jeter and the Yanks.  

But hey, they managed to get a whopping 1 WS title with him at 3rd so congrats to the yanks, I guess.  

1 hour ago, vuduchile said:

On the whole, I have more respect for Jeter than Arod.  It’s not even close. But who cares how much more I respect Jeter?

Fact is, Arod was a better SS.  This isn’t really even debatable.  

But Jeter was a captain and he was more than serviceable, so they kept him there.  

Heads up, Arod blows him away at SS but he agreed to the move to appease Jeter and the Yanks.  

But hey, they managed to get a whopping 1 WS title with him at 3rd so congrats to the yanks, I guess.  

Again, you think they would have been better with A Rod at short. Ok. Where does Jeter play then? And then you want to throw rings into it. Ok, how many did A Rod win when he was a shortstop? Jeter won 4 before A Rod. I recall Jeters Yankees dispatching A Rods Mariners in the playoffs. 

SS rankings during the era in question:

1. Arod

2. Nomar

3. Tejada

4. Jeter

• Like 1

It's Boggs. So F you guys with your peer pressure and bullying tactics.

57 minutes ago, BiffTannen said:

SS rankings during the era in question:

1. Arod

2. Nomar

3. Tejada

4. Jeter

Arod/Nomar were 1 and 2, don't really remember Tejada, A's? 

Not for their careers of course, but for a time period in the late 90s early 00's

1 minute ago, edjr said:

Arod/Nomar were 1 and 2, don't really remember Tejada, A's? 

Not for their careers of course, but for a time period in the late 90s early 00's

Yeah - Tejada for the A's. Put up some huge numbers from 2000-2004 then started declining. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/tejadmi01.shtml

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BiffTannen said:

Yeah - Tejada for the A's. Put up some huge numbers from 2000-2004 then started declining. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/t/tejadmi01.shtml

Seems to me Nomar was the best SS for a few years years.  97 through 2000?

Was so much juice in MLB he hit 372 and came in 9th in MVP :o

1    Jason Giambi                    
2    Frank Thomas                
3    Alex Rodriguez                    
4    Carlos Delgado                    
5    Pedro Martinez
6    Edgar Martinez                    
6    Manny Ramirez                
8    Darin Erstad        
9    Nomar Garciaparra    

everyone is so sure Thomas didn't juice. 

3 minutes ago, edjr said:

Hard to go wrong with Nomar from 98-2000

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/garcino01.shtml

• Like 1

I was in Boston for school in 85-89 and I don't remember fans lighting a candle at the altar of Boggs.  He was the guy who slapped the ball off of the monster and ate fried chicken (IIRC correctly).  Do any locals remember differently?  :dunno:

4 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I was in Boston for school in 85-89 and I don't remember fans lighting a candle at the altar of Boggs.  He was the guy who slapped the ball off of the monster and ate fried chicken (IIRC correctly).  Do any locals remember differently?  :dunno:

Boggs was very well liked.  I think that you are misremembering.  The guy had something like 5 batting titles in 6 years.  

Just now, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Boggs was very well liked.  I think that you are misremembering.  The guy had something like 5 batting titles in 6 years.  

His wife Debbie and margo adams would say differently 

Brett tells story about crapping his pants :lol: NSFW language

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nzoner said:

Brett tells story about crapping his pants :lol: NSFW language

Arod crapped his pants every time the post season came around

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, edjr said:

Arod crapped his pants every time the post season came around

That's not entirely true.  In the playoffs, you don't play against bad teams.  He had an 0.822 OPS in 76 games.  That's pretty good.  For all the love Jeter gets, his career OPS was 0.838 in the playoffs.

Being an old KC homer I had the privilege of watching Brett play his entire career,dude was a beast,the hitting .390 for a season and winning batting titles in three different decades are also reasons he gets my vote.

I'll go Boggs by a hair.  They, along with Carew and Gwynn are the best hitters of the post 60's era. I don't think anyone else comes close.  Brett was the best all around baseball player of the bunch, but Boggs was a better hitter. 

Boggs' Red Sox won 3 division titles in 10 years. Bretts royals won 6 and a WS. Plus more hits and more homeruns. 

20 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Boggs' Red Sox won 3 division titles in 10 years. Bretts royals won 6 and a WS. Plus more hits and more homeruns. 

Brett didn't win a WS in his 1st 10 years. I don't get the comparison. :dunno:

39 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

Brett didn't win a WS in his 1st 10 years. I don't get the comparison. :dunno:

Prime years.  

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Prime years.  

The KC Royals were a great team in the 70's and into the 80's.  But their division was also terrible.

11 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

The KC Royals were a great team in the 70's and into the 80's.  But their division was also terrible.

The Twins and As were pretty good in the 80's. Twins were real good. The AL west went to 5 WS in the 80's. Won 3. 

8 hours ago, edjr said:

I am 100 percent sure. Listed at 6 ft 5 245 on his rookie card he was 240 his last year. Never deviated further than 5 lbs his entire career.  Thats not a user. Thats country strong.

Ivan Rodriguez is a user thats in the hof. I would stake my life on it. He went on the cycle with texas and eventually went off with the tigers. 

Agree with all. The Big Hurt was big because his mama and daddy were big.  Pudge is one of the most obvious roid users behind the big ones and guys like Brady Anderson and Luis Gonzalez and Jason Varitek.  

14 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Agree with all. The Big Hurt was big because his mama and daddy were big.  Pudge is one of the most obvious roid users behind the big ones and guys like Brady Anderson and Luis Gonzalez and Jason Varitek.  

Pudge is in the HOF, none of the others matter.,  JOKE

'Tek had 193 career HR :lol:  stop the hatin' he whopped Arod fair and square

I cannot answer this without bias.  Although I was more a fan of Kevin Seitzer growing up.

17 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

But gonzalez was his new swing. 

Hahahahahaha