Sign in to follow this  
DrG

Darrel Williams?

Question for Chiefs homers. Did he look good enough to supplant the other D Williams?

37 minutes ago, DrG said:

Question for Chiefs homers. Did he look good enough to supplant the other D Williams?

lol

He's not even good enough to supplant LeSean McCoy.

McCoy was The Man while the game was in question (and could very well be The Man even after Damien Williams is healthy now).  Darrell Williams just came in to mop up so as not to risk further injury to McCoy's ankle.

22 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

lol

He's not even good enough to supplant LeSean McCoy.

McCoy was The Man while the game was in question (and could very well be The Man even after Damien Williams is healthy now).  Darrell Williams just came in to mop up so as not to risk further injury to McCoy's ankle.

This isn't entirely true since McCoy had seven touches to Williams' four at halftime. As far as I can tell, Williams and McCoy each had four touches on the first two drives of the second half ... with the game still somewhat in doubt.

Is Darrel going to overtake Damien or McCoy? I highly doubt it. Is he ahead of Darwin on the depth chart? I'm not sure why, but it looks that way.

49 minutes ago, The Football Guru said:

Is Darrel going to overtake Damien or McCoy? I highly doubt it. Is he ahead of Darwin on the depth chart? I'm not sure why, but it looks that way.

And we've known this was the pecking order ever since McCoy was signed.

Barring injury, the only thing that's going to change is McCoy taking over the #1 role from Damien.

We've known Darrel over Darwin was the pecking order? I beg to differ all or even most of us knew that. How many leagues are you in where Darwin is available and Darrel isn't? I'm in at least 10 expert or high-stakes leagues; I think I scooped up Darrel in six or seven of them about 15-20 minutes before kickoff Sunday morning. Darwin has been stashed in all of my leagues since the draft. I think that's probably a good representation of most leagues.

I think Shady looks better than Damien, I don't think that's in question; I just assumed Andy Reid might have a bit more loyalty to the guy he and the front office gave an extension to this spring. It wouldn't surprise me if Shady steals more work moving forward, but I don't think it's a given either. Shady has already hurt his ankle in consecutive weeks to boot. Either Darrell or Darwin has a chance to be a league-winning type of player in this offense, particularly if McCoy can't stay healthy.

1 hour ago, The Football Guru said:

We've known Darrel over Darwin was the pecking order?

Yes.  I'd like to say that "people who listened to Axe Elf knew that was the pecking order," but I can't even do that, because I have yet to see any depth chart, from the preseason or regular season, where Darwin Thompson has NOT been listed behind Darrell Williams, and both of them behind either McCoy or Hyde as the #2, with Damien as the #1.

I beg to differ all or even most of us knew that.  How many leagues are you in where Darwin is available and Darrel isn't?

Well, I can't argue against the gullibility of the masses when presented with a Shiny New Thing to lemming themselves up behind a rumor and wander far astray from the truth--I'll give you that.  In Darwin's case, it was all because of a guy from "The Athletic" started a "Carlos Hyde might get cut," rumor (I don't know, I guess maybe because he wanted to draft Hyde late, and didn't want any competition?), and pretty soon, everyone else was tweeting about how "it was reported" that Hyde was getting cut.  All this despite his ongoing position at #2 on the depth chart, mind you.  Then the next week, the same guy at "The Athletic" started a "Darwin Thompson has leapt over Hyde on the depth chart" rumor, and pretty soon, everyone else was tweeting about how "it was reported" that Darwin Thompson had leapt over Hyde on the depth chart (all this despite Hyde's ongoing position at #2 on the depth chart, mind you), and suddenly Darwin Thompson became a draft darling "sleeper" that everyone was falling all over themselves to draft (despite his ongoing position at #4 on the depth chart, mind you).

But anyone who was following the team, and not what was being reported about what had been reported about what some guy who knew a guy had said, knew that Darwin Thompson was #4 on the depth chart (and that if Reid had not caught wind of McCoy coming available, there's no way that the Chiefs were going to cut their best RB in Hyde, either).

I'm in at least 10 expert or high-stakes leagues; I think I scooped up Darrel in six or seven of them about 15-20 minutes before kickoff Sunday morning.

In my 25 years of experience, the bigger the entry fee, the more prominent the brow ridges of the participants.  If you really want top-notch competition, you'll find it in the $20-$100 leagues--where the money MEANS something to the players.  The $200-$$$$k leagues tend to be magnets for trust fund showoffs who manage their teams like Bavarian schoolgirls, chasing after every tweet and fad, but never really knowing anything about fantasy football.  Witness the tweet a few minutes before gametime on Sunday, when some mouth-breather tweeted that Darrell Williams was starting, because he was first in the line of RBs when the team was warming up on the field.  You could almost feel the disturbance in the force, as a million copies of the "other" Williams got picked up at once.  You were just another lemming.

And experts?  The only measure of an "expert" is how well they adhere to the wisdom of Axe Elf.

Shady has already hurt his ankle in consecutive weeks to boot.

I don't believe that he has.  I believe he hurt his ankle in Week 2, and was still playing through a little bit of pain, and when the game was no longer in question, there was no need to risk further injury in the healing process, so they benched McCoy to save him for next week, and said he "tweaked" his ankle again to explain it.

Well sure he "tweaked" his ankle again.  He probly had some pain every time he pushed off of it.  But I don't think there's any new injury, and I think McCoy will be back in full force for next week's game.

Either Darrell or Darwin has a chance to be a league-winning type of player in this offense, particularly if McCoy can't stay healthy.

Well sure, but are you going to roster every third- and fourth-string RB in the league, hoping that the two backs ahead of them can't stay healthy?

Interesting that during the summer it looked like a true RBBC at rb for KC. 

Land many kept saying that’s not Reid’s coaching style. 

It seems to me Reid as a new style. 

I don’t see a true rb1 for this team going forward, and they don’t need one. 

48 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Yes.  I'd like to say that "people who listened to Axe Elf knew that was the pecking order," but I can't even do that, because I have yet to see any depth chart, from the preseason or regular season, where Darwin Thompson has NOT been listed behind Darrell Williams, and both of them behind either McCoy or Hyde as the #2, with Damien as the #1.

Well, I can't argue against the gullibility of the masses when presented with a Shiny New Thing to lemming themselves up behind a rumor and wander far astray from the truth--I'll give you that.  In Darwin's case, it was all because of a guy from "The Athletic" started a "Carlos Hyde might get cut," rumor (I don't know, I guess maybe because he wanted to draft Hyde late, and didn't want any competition?), and pretty soon, everyone else was tweeting about how "it was reported" that Hyde was getting cut.  All this despite his ongoing position at #2 on the depth chart, mind you.  Then the next week, the same guy at "The Athletic" started a "Darwin Thompson has leapt over Hyde on the depth chart" rumor, and pretty soon, everyone else was tweeting about how "it was reported" that Darwin Thompson had leapt over Hyde on the depth chart (all this despite Hyde's ongoing position at #2 on the depth chart, mind you), and suddenly Darwin Thompson became a draft darling "sleeper" that everyone was falling all over themselves to draft (despite his ongoing position at #4 on the depth chart, mind you).

But anyone who was following the team, and not what was being reported about what had been reported about what some guy who knew a guy had said, knew that Darwin Thompson was #4 on the depth chart (and that if Reid had not caught wind of McCoy coming available, there's no way that the Chiefs were going to cut their best RB in Hyde, either).

In my 25 years of experience, the bigger the entry fee, the more prominent the brow ridges of the participants.  If you really want top-notch competition, you'll find it in the $20-$100 leagues--where the money MEANS something to the players.  The $200-$$$$k leagues tend to be magnets for trust fund showoffs who manage their teams like Bavarian schoolgirls, chasing after every tweet and fad, but never really knowing anything about fantasy football.  Witness the tweet a few minutes before gametime on Sunday, when some mouth-breather tweeted that Darrell Williams was starting, because he was first in the line of RBs when the team was warming up on the field.  You could almost feel the disturbance in the force, as a million copies of the "other" Williams got picked up at once.  You were just another lemming.

And experts?  The only measure of an "expert" is how well they adhere to the wisdom of Axe Elf.

I don't believe that he has.  I believe he hurt his ankle in Week 2, and was still playing through a little bit of pain, and when the game was no longer in question, there was no need to risk further injury in the healing process, so they benched McCoy to save him for next week, and said he "tweaked" his ankle again to explain it.

Well sure he "tweaked" his ankle again.  He probly had some pain every time he pushed off of it.  But I don't think there's any new injury, and I think McCoy will be back in full force for next week's game.

Well sure, but are you going to roster every third- and fourth-string RB in the league, hoping that the two backs ahead of them can't stay healthy?

Now I see why you are a legend around these parts 🤣  Do me a favor and break down this backfield for the rest of the season so I can save myself some time each week when I'm putting together my article.

I'm not even going to continue this conversation after this look-at-me reply. There is obviously nothing that someone who makes a living in this industry can teach you. Congratulations. Keep reading those depth charts. Just like the internet, they are always 100 percent correct. 🙄

I called out your "oversight" with Darrel being used basically only in garbage time b/c you obviously didn't watch the game or bother to look up the play-by-play to make sure your wisdom actually checked out. My job here is done.

• Like 2

He's just having a good time with one of the predictions he hit on.  And hey, we really need more people to refer to themselves in third person on this board.

Anyone who drafted Darwin Thompson did so because they know the player fit in an Andy Reid offense better than anyone on the roster at the time.  The McCoy signing changed all that but if you're playing to have the best team at the end of the season, you can't realistically count on McCoy being there.  Sure he may play all 16 games as the starter, but given his age and utilization that would be a statistical anomaly and I'd want to be prepared to have the starting RB in that offense.  They also know that rookie RB's have to pass block effectively to be in the lineup.  I suspect this is the reason for the Darrel Williams position on the depth chart.  So for those of us that recognize the ability and the scheme fit for Darwin Thompson and are in deep enough leagues, were fine waiting until the opportunity merges with the ability.  Of course there are no guarantees he picks up pass blocking this year and maybe Shady plays all season.   But for the draft capital I invested in Thompson I'm fine if he doesn't play until later in the year. 

For everyone who ran out and grabbed Thompson on waivers and started him this week, I agree with Elf.  That wasn't smart.  I never considered starting him.  He was 3rd on the depth chart for this game for a reason and he's likely to remain there until McCoy can't play.  But if it's a backfield of D. Williams x2 and Thompson, I think that's when he emerges.  Everyone conveniently forgets that neither of those guys have more than 75 touches in a season.  Damien Williams was never going to be a 16 game starter this year.  Darrell Williams isn't as dynamic as Thompson.  I still think that Thompson has value later in the season and he's worth the hold if you can afford it.  But the better play right now is Darrell Williams as he would be first in line for the workload if something happens to shady and Damien Williams is still limited.

Chiefs running back snap share on Sunday:

Darrel Williams - 55%

Lesean McCoy - 37%

Darwin Thompson - 8%

Not sure if it means anything moving forward, but found this breakdown on Twitter. I watched most of the game and he passed the eye test.

• Thanks 1

Wow 55% that’s just amazing to me. 

And now it’s going to be a RBBC of four. 

I didn’t ask or imply that McCoy would be supplanted but whether Darrel Williams looked good enough to be considered for the #2 in KC behind an obviously still talented but 31 y o running back.

7 hours ago, The Football Guru said:

Now I see why you are a legend around these parts 

Most people figure it out after a few lessons.  Some of the slower students require more extensive tutoring.

Do me a favor and break down this backfield for the rest of the season so I can save myself some time each week when I'm putting together my article.

Sure thing.  Always glad to help out; it's the philanthropist in me.

When they all are healthy, LeSean McCoy will function as the "lead back" in the Chiefs' offense.  By "lead back," I mean that he will be the player earning the most fantasy points, as he will get the most opportunities for meaningful plays (although not necessarily the most touches, especially in garbage time--and with KC, there will be a LOT of garbage time--the team will save McCoy for the heaviest usage when they need him).  If McCoy is starting, he needs to be in your fantasy lineup.

Damien Williams will serve as the primary backup to McCoy, getting the lion's share of that "garbage time" work, and possibly even a little more usage in the passing game than McCoy.

Darrell Williams will get spot usage, and be the primary backup when Williams is out--because as someone mentioned, Damien has never had more than 75 touches in a season and it's likely that Week 2 will not be the only week he misses with some infirmity or another.  Whichever Williams is in the backup role should be considered a low-end flex play, simply because of those garbage time opportunities (as we saw in Week 3).

Darwin Thompson will get some passing down and gadget play usage, but will not be reliably startable in any format in 2019, barring the simultaneous injury to any 2 of the RBs ahead of him on the depth chart.

There is obviously nothing that someone who makes a living in this industry can teach you.

Obviously.  That's why there are 11 also-rans in every league, but only 1 Champion--because the vast majority of FF players listen to the people who make a living in this industry, while Champions listen to Axe Elf.

That's why every child has fond memories of their nannies singing them to sleep with the old familiar nursery rhyme...

Listen to the Elf;

Trophy on the shelf.

Listen to the others,

Go crying to your mothers.

20 minutes ago, Matt Mueller said:

So Darrell Williams against the Lions or John Ross at Pitt MNF PPR?

I need a flex and people here have answers. ;)  

If Damien is still out, you could consider Darrell, but otherwise it's Ross.

I would go with Ross. 

Deez - thank you, the eye test was what I was looking for. And yes in some of my deeper leagues the 3rd string rb is on a number of watch lists, including mine. 

I had the number one waiver pick and passed.  Once waivers were reconciled, I picked up Jordan Akins.  What I really need is a reliable receiver to add.  I guess I'll find out if Houston keeps using the TE's.  

31 yr old Mcsoy will get injured again and I think Darrell is at least as talented and possibly more durable than Dwill. Little Thompson is more than a COP.  Darrell is an excellent stash especially when the hits pile up on McCoy and Dwill 1. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 12:14 AM, The Football Guru said:

We've known Darrel over Darwin was the pecking order? I beg to differ all or even most of us knew that. How many leagues are you in where Darwin is available and Darrel isn't? I'm in at least 10 expert or high-stakes leagues; I think I scooped up Darrel in six or seven of them about 15-20 minutes before kickoff Sunday morning. Darwin has been stashed in all of my leagues since the draft. I think that's probably a good representation of most leagues.

I think Shady looks better than Damien, I don't think that's in question; I just assumed Andy Reid might have a bit more loyalty to the guy he and the front office gave an extension to this spring. It wouldn't surprise me if Shady steals more work moving forward, but I don't think it's a given either. Shady has already hurt his ankle in consecutive weeks to boot. Either Darrell or Darwin has a chance to be a league-winning type of player in this offense, particularly if McCoy can't stay healthy.

you also have to keep in mind, RB is a very physically taxing position.  There is a reason why most RB's dont make it past the age of 30.   That would be injuries.

as an older player you are more prone to injury.

I think this backfield is (and will be) a committee.     Sure, McCoy will get the carries when the money is on the line, but for fantasy purposes, stats are stats.  nobody cares if McCoy's yards are more important than Williams.

I dont think we will see games where McCoy gets more than 65% of the touches.   we might be lucky if we have games where he gets more than 55%.

and the lingering injury means in the short term, it could be an even 3 way split.

Not ideal for fantasy purposes.

this thread is a good read.. i picked up Darrell Williams.. just to see what happens.. i didnt want to feel left out.

I picked him up. Spent some FAAB to do it but not too much. Was surprised I didn’t get out bid.

I mean it probably amounts to nothing, but if he does pan out then you got KC’s RB. Could happen with McCoy and Damien’s injuries. Everyone assumes those resolve but what if they don’t or recur?

8 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I picked him up. Spent some FAAB to do it but not too much. Was surprised I didn’t get out bid.

I mean it probably amounts to nothing, but if he does pan out then you got KC’s RB. Could happen with McCoy and Damien’s injuries. Everyone assumes those resolve but what if they don’t or recur?

What if OBJ and Jarvis Landry are abducted by aliens because they were college roommates?  BOOM, suddenly Rashard Higgins owners are sitting on a goldmine.

11 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

What if OBJ and Jarvis Landry are abducted by aliens because they were college roommates?  BOOM, suddenly Rashard Higgins owners are sitting on a goldmine.

lol

15 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Your act has worn thin again 🙁

3 minutes ago, Pinesprings said:

yo Axe Elf.....would you go Mccoy, James White or Chris Thompson ppr this week assuming all are active? thanks

Assuming Damien Williams is NOT active, I'd be riding McCoy as long as possible (and Detroit is only #22 against the run so far).

You didn't specify scoring, but in a PPR league, White and Thompson would be a little more deserving of consideration; in standard scoring, they're not even in the ballpark.

10 minutes ago, Pinesprings said:

its ppr but mccoy is the play huh. thanks

For now... if Damien is back, then things get a little more messy for PPR, but with him out, yeah, McCoy.

I would go Thompson. 

the KC backfield FEELS like this: shady is the preferred back.  if he was younger he'd likely be featured.  however reid wants him to last all season, so he's going with a committee.

if shady is well - he's the guy to play.  i think if shady is well and one of the williams is hurt then the remaining healthy williams might be ok for like a flex.  if all 3 are well then shady can be played but i would not go with either of the williams until the pecking order is clear.