Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Fear not people affected by Covid 19 virus. DA POPE has spoken!

We are all free to start going back out. God will fix everything.

On second though, didn't god create this anyway? :doh:

I'm not a fan of this Pope but we'll save criticism for another day. His prayer was solid. He hit the right tone and message with his prayer.

1 hour ago, Voltaire said:

I'm not a fan of this Pope but we'll save criticism for another day. His prayer was solid. He hit the right tone and message with his prayer.

and all are saved!

I’ll bet “faith in god” as medicine has killed more people than anything else in history. If they just take medicine first, then have the faith, not only is it more likely they won’t die but they get a convenient “see, see, it’s real” moment.

7 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

I’ll bet “faith in god” as medicine has killed more people than anything else in history. If they just take medicine first, then have the faith, not only is it more likely they won’t die but they get a convenient “see, see, it’s real” moment.

Reminds me of the old story about the man on his roof during a massive flood,he turns down help from others with a boat and helicopter telling them God will save him.When he realizes he's going to die he cries out to God are you not going to save me and God answers I sent you a boat and a helicopter.

50 minutes ago, nzoner said:

Reminds me of the old story about the man on his roof during a massive flood,he turns down help from others with a boat and helicopter telling them God will save him.When he realizes he's going to die he cries out to God are you not going to save me and God answers I sent you a boat and a helicopter.

:overhead:

6 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

What's with the faith bashing? What do you gain from that?

Yeah, Ed likes to think he looks smartz 'cause he knows there is no god.  Surprised he didn't paste a George Carlin anti-religion vid, that's one of his go-tos.  What he doesn't realize is that it doesn't make him look intelligent at all.  :(

17 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

Not sure I would call it bashing. 

23 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

An unwarranted feeling of superiority.  

15 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Yeah, Ed likes to think he looks smartz 'cause he knows there is no god.  Surprised he didn't paste a George Carlin anti-religion vid, that's one of his go-tos.  What he doesn't realize is that it doesn't make him look intelligent at all.  :(

Keep dropping to your knees,  God will protect you

3 hours ago, tanatastic said:

History. What does that have to do with right now? Nothing.  

1 minute ago, edjr said:

Keep dropping to your knees,  God will protect you

Would you call this "bashing"?  :dunno:

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

Would you call this "bashing"?  :dunno:

It's more like mocking.  So what though.  Did Jesus care that people mocked/made fun of him?  If not, why should his followers?

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

It's more like mocking.  So what though.  Did Jesus care that people mocked/made fun of him?  If not, why should his followers?

Why the mocking? Did the pope say something worthy of being mocked? 

I'm not religious and don't take it personally; I merely pointed out that ragging on a guy who provides spiritual guidance to 1.2B people doesn't make Ed look like a rocket surgeon.  :dunno:

3 hours ago, tanatastic said:

What % of the religious commumity is against medical technology?  And what % of the religious community attributes God to fixing a problem solved by antibiotics?

I grew up in Catholic schools for 12 years before college. Never met one family that didn't believe in medications as being what can help cure people's illnesses

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tanatastic said:

If they die then they believe that was God's plan.  As long as they are happy and lived a good life I suppose.

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

Actually what he doesn’t realize is that George Carlin sucks.  Yeah, I said it.  One of the most overrated comedians I’ve ever seen.

29 minutes ago, Utilit99 said:

What % of the religious commumity is against medical technology?  And what % of the religious community attributes God to fixing a problem solved by antibiotics?

I grew up in Catholic schools for 12 years before college. Never met one family that didn't believe in medications as being what can help cure people's illnesses

Legions of daffy folk in rural areas. Entire countries across the globe. In the USA only a small % but worldwide there’s plenty.

3 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

Legions of daffy folk in rural areas. Entire countries across the globe. In the USA only a small % but worldwide there’s plenty.

I bet religious people on the whole are smarter and more successful than those that aren’t. And when I say religious I mean Catholics and Jews. But not the Hasidic. 

10 hours ago, tanatastic said:

You are a moron. War based on religion has killed more than anything else. 

5 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I bet religious people on the whole are smarter and more successful than those that aren’t. And when I say religious I mean Catholics and Jews. But not the Hasidic. 

And sadly there are a lot of Muslims with serious wealth and success.  

1 hour ago, Bert said:

And sadly there are a lot of Muslims with serious wealth and success.  

And no middle class. 

I watched that video waiting for the pope to say something absurd and worthy of ed's ridicule, but all I saw was a standard issue Catholicism fastball hurled straight down the middle of the plate.

Really, it was a very typical, normal Catholic prayer to be invoked in a time of crisis, it strikes all the right messages and can only help the faithfully in this time. If/when Pope Francis says something dumb, I'll call him out on it as I don't like him. But this isn't that.

9 hours ago, Bert said:

You are a moron. War based on religion has killed more than anything else. 

Nailed it.  

Our invisible man in the sky is better than your invisible man in the sky!

15 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Same people who think their vote actually matters and they have any say in what politicians do :(

7 hours ago, Voltaire said:

I watched that video waiting for the pope to say something absurd and worthy of ed's ridicule, but all I saw was a standard issue Catholicism fastball hurled straight down the middle of the plate.

Really, it was a very typical, normal Catholic prayer to be invoked in a time of crisis, it strikes all the right messages and can only help the faithfully in this time. If/when Pope Francis says something dumb, I'll call him out on it as I don't like him. But this isn't that.

How does his bullchit speech help people who are faithful? 

1 hour ago, edjr said:

How does his bullchit speech help people who are faithful? 

Well, if you buy into Catholicism you might find the Pope's prayer to be inspirational.

18 hours ago, Strike said:

He cared immensely,so much so that when hanging on the cross he said,"Father forgive them they know not what they do."

I am pretty sure when it comes to intelligence. I would take northern non-believers over southern rubes any day of the week.

6 minutes ago, nzoner said:

He cared immensely,so much so that when hanging on the cross he said,"Father forgive them they know not what they do."

Pretty sure he was talking about them murdering him, not mocking him when he said that.  And why was he talking?  Couldn't he have just thought it?

1 minute ago, Strike said:

Pretty sure he was talking about them murdering him, not mocking him when he said that.  And why was he talking?  Couldn't he have just thought it?

I believe he was talking about all involved as he was being mocked by some saying,"If you are the King of the Jews,save yourself."

I also believe he verbally spoke his words so that they were part of the Gospels.As a believer myself those words are extremely powerful and makes me think about some of the petty things I've gotten offended over in my life and yet here was an innocent man being mocked and crucified and yet could speak of forgiving all those involved.

19 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Actually he is showing he is completely ignorant on the subject of religion. 

For those with faith, no answer is necessary. For those without faith no answer is possible.

Its China’s fault. Let’s stay focused. That would be the scientific explanation. 

51 minutes ago, nzoner said:

I believe he was talking about all involved as he was being mocked by some saying,"If you are the King of the Jews,save yourself."

I also believe he verbally spoke his words so that they were part of the Gospels.As a believer myself those words are extremely powerful and makes me think about some of the petty things I've gotten offended over in my life and yet here was an innocent man being mocked and crucified and yet could speak of forgiving all those involved.

I don't want to rip on your faith, especially as someone who once had it, but........you do realize you worship a god who once murdered almost all of his own people/creations because he didn't like the way they turned out.  Then he blew off his action by saying "I will not do that again.". In our world what he did would be considered a sin, something he can't tolerate.  Things that (should) make you go Hmmmm.......

People who think God will intervene when they are dying can't handle the thought of no God. We need religion so that people don't go crazy. If they survive, God is real. If they don't, it was part of his plan. If that's what gets you through then fine by me. 

I don't want to rip on your faith, especially as someone who once had it, but........you do realize you worship a god who once murdered almost all of his own people/creations because he didn't like the way they turned out.  Then he blew off his action by saying "I will not do that again.". In our world what he did would be considered a sin, something he can't tolerate.  Things that (should) make you go Hmmmm.......

You're good and I get it,in fact I started reading the Bible thru in a year as of Jan 1st and that Old Testament has been brutal.The word also says we serve a jealous God and people prior to the flood(except Noah and his) had totally strayed(not much different than what's going on today). IMO,the Old Testament laws were next to impossible to keep and the amount of animal blood sacrifices was mind boggling thus the reason for Jesus as the sacrificial lamb to take away the sins of the world once and for all to those who accepted the gift.

As for "I will not do that again" he actually said " I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be destroyed by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth." Also one of the reason I believe in end times prophecy when in Luke 21:11 Jesus said to look for such things "There will be great earthquakes, famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven."

Just curious what was your reason for giving up on your faith,if you don't mind me asking.If so I totally respect that.

On 4/3/2020 at 10:36 AM, nzoner said:

You're good and I get it,in fact I started reading the Bible thru in a year as of Jan 1st and that Old Testament has been brutal.The word also says we serve a jealous God and people prior to the flood(except Noah and his) had totally strayed(not much different than what's going on today). IMO,the Old Testament laws were next to impossible to keep and the amount of animal blood sacrifices was mind boggling thus the reason for Jesus as the sacrificial lamb to take away the sins of the world once and for all to those who accepted the gift.

As for "I will not do that again" he actually said " I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be destroyed by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth." Also one of the reason I believe in end times prophecy when in Luke 21:11 Jesus said to look for such things "There will be great earthquakes, famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven."

Just curious what was your reason for giving up on your faith,if you don't mind me asking.If so I totally respect that.

My apologies for the delay in responding to this.  I saw this from my phone and didn't want to type out a long response from there.  I became pretty religious around 8th grade.  Joined a Presbyterian church, met one of my best friend's there, and became heavily involved for the next 5 years or so.  Went to church every Sunday, youth group on Wednesdays, volunteered for VBS every year, regularly attended bible study.  Really immersed myself in it. 

There wasn't one thing that turned my off from religion.  Heck, I've always said that if I got married I'd have no issues raising my kids in most religions if the wife wanted.  They teach good morals.  As long as the kid could decide if they wanted to continue once their mind had formed enough. 

Unfortunately I have a very logical and analytical mind.  And as I grew older I started to question things such as the one I mentioned earlier.  Other things that made me go hmmmm:

- If Hitler, on his death bed, apologized for all the wrongs he'd done (and was sincere) and accepted Christ he would have gone to heaven.  Heck, for all we know he's there right now.

- I dated a girl briefly who went to a religious school.  They weren't allowed to listen to rock music, even Christian rock.  Even if they weren't in school at the time.  Not that it is the main reason I "lost" my belief but I have always been in to music and one of our Pastors said we shouldn't listen to "Another One Bites The Dust" by Queen.   Ugh.

- If you asked tough questions that a pastor couldn't answer the go to was that it was beyond our understanding.  Why did God let little Mary die in that car accident?  "God had a plan for her."  Those are cop out answers.  God was willing to murder almost his entire flock once but now he let's evil run rampant in the world without even lifting a finger.

I'm sure there are others.  So I drifted away from the church around the time I went to college.  But let me be clear.  I'm not religious at this point in my life.  But I'm not an Atheist.  I consider myself agnostic.  As I said I'm pretty logical/analytical in my thinking.  I have no specific reason to NOT believe but enough questions to not believe it's for me.  Given new information I could change my mind.  My current mindset is that if there is an "omnipotent" being it's probably just someone from a much superior civilization somewhere in space.  Not a God per se but an entity.  We might be an experiment "he" created and he's watching it play out.  Or he was just bored and said "Hey here's a nice little planet.  Let's start a carbon based civilization for fun."   But who really knows?