Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

Should Trump lose, should he follow Obama's lead and act as president for republicans?

There was once a time-honored tradition of "one president at a time", where ex-presidents would step aside from public life and let the current president govern.  This tradition was broken in the past 4 years by Barack Obama.  At key moments in Trump's first term, Obama would hold presidential-style pressers, acting as if he was the president, not Trump.  He would deliver remarks and guidance.  Now that we have crossed the rubicon on this issue, should Trump continue to act as president and deliver remarks on current affairs during a Biden administration (if Trump loses)?  Or do we just allow democrat presidents to undermine republican ones going forward?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

this is stupid

Why? Obama clearly acted and continues to act like no former president. What makes anyone think Trump won't follow his lead. We have 4 live ex Presidents. Soon to be 5. Of ALL of them only one campaigns and continues to interfere with the election process once he was out of the oval office. Only one has a Netflix deal. Only one routinely speaks about the current president while they are in office.  Obama breaks traditions and it's just written off as ok. But it's not. I personally hope Trump acts JUST LIKE Obama did and does...and before you say oh that is just the mad trump voter. I never voted for trump and I voted twice for Obama. After a while his holier than thou schtick just gets old. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I hope Trump focks the hell off into the sunset. Quietly. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

I hoped the same for Obama to be honest. 

2 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

I hope Trump focks the hell off into the sunset. Quietly. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

And all those god damn Cubans in Fla and 10% increase in black votes. All gotta go. AOC better be damn sure they are on her list. 

2 minutes ago, FlyinHeadlock said:

And all those god damn Cubans in Fla and 10% increase in black votes. All gotta go. AOC better be damn sure they are on her list. 

The cubans in FLA will never ever ever forgive Clinton and the Dems for sending back Elian Gonzalez. They never miss the chance to punish them. 

6 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

The cubans in FLA will never ever ever forgive Clinton and the Dems for sending back Elian Gonzalez. They never miss the chance to punish them. 

Obama, right before he left office he went after them. He killed some legislation on them immigrating. I saw that and I busted out laughing. Ok for everyone else to enter, those Cubans though gotta go. Media just ignored it. I thought wow, this is going to go viral and nothing.

29 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Ok. Then who represents the rest of us? Back to country club and corporate republicans? Paul Ryan? Jeb! . The leftists? It’s amazing that people don’t realize why Trump even exists. He exists because no one either side had the best interests of half of this country in mind. Power abhors a vacuum. Trump steeped into it.  People need to stop worrying about Trump and worry more about why he was ever able to come about. 70 million people will never vote for a democrat again. Anyone who steps up starts with them in their back pocket.  Next guy might be worse. He’ll be an easy sell if he stays out of sidebar pissing matches. You better hope Trump sticks around to hold the next candidates accountable to those 70 million.  Who else is gonna do it? Fox? 

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Ok. Then who represents the rest of us? Back to country club and corporate republicans? Paul Ryan? Jeb! . The leftists? It’s amazing that people don’t realize why Trump even exists. He exists because no one either side had the best interests of half of this country in mind. Power abhors a vacuum. Trump steeped into it.  People need to stop worrying about Trump and worry more about why he was ever able to come about. 70 million people will never vote for a democrat again. Anyone who steps up starts with them in their back pocket.  Next guy might be worse. He’ll be an easy sell if he stays out of sidebar pissing matches. You better hope Trump sticks around to hold the next candidates accountable to those 70 million.  Who else is gonna do it? Fox? 

See, I never bought the "Trump as a folk hero populist patriot" line anyway. Trump is all about Trump and his ego.

But bottom line, even if you believe that he was in it for the right reasons, his enormous flaws as a human being get in the way too much.

2 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

See, I never bought the "Trump as a folk hero populist patriot" line anyway. Trump is all about Trump and his ego.

But bottom line, even if you believe that he was in it for the right reasons, his enormous flaws as a human being get in the way too much.

I said he filled a void. The void will still be there and someone will fill it and that person may be more polished but worse on policy. Trump needs to be the kingmaker unless you want Jeb! 

Are you asking if Trump should break tradition...geez I don't know, he's such a strict adherent to the unwritten rules.  🤣

15 minutes ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

And what do you care what Trumps motivations were? Are you applying a purity test to him, and just him? Did you agree when he put pen to paper? That’s the bottom line. The rest is fluff and woman talk. 

1 hour ago, kilroy69 said:

Why? Obama clearly acted and continues to act like no former president. What makes anyone think Trump won't follow his lead. We have 4 live ex Presidents. Soon to be 5. Of ALL of them only one campaigns and continues to interfere with the election process once he was out of the oval office. Only one has a Netflix deal. Only one routinely speaks about the current president while they are in office.  Obama breaks traditions and it's just written off as ok. But it's not. I personally hope Trump acts JUST LIKE Obama did and does...and before you say oh that is just the mad trump voter. I never voted for trump and I voted twice for Obama. After a while his holier than thou schtick just gets old. 

Obama was silent for years.  People here questioned why isn't he stumping for Biden, must not like him etc.  

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

And what do you care what Trumps motivations were? Are you applying a purity test to him, and just him? Did you agree when he put pen to paper? That’s the bottom line. The rest is fluff and woman talk. 

No. It isn't.

If you spend your campaign and your entire term being an immature jackass of the highest order, what happens?

Oh yeah. You piss off the opposition to the point where they impeach you, go to maximum lengths to block your appointments...

You drive a lot of moderates who actually agree with your policy into the other camp...

So in essence, you fail.

Yes, policy is of the utmost importance. But so is leadership and couth. That's what ultimately did Trump in.

Just now, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

No. It isn't.

If you spend your campaign and your entire term being an immature jackass of the highest order, what happens?

Oh yeah. You piss off the opposition to the point where they impeach you, go to maximum lengths to block your appointments...

You drive a lot of moderates who actually agree with your policy into the other camp...

So in essence, you fail.

Yes, policy is of the utmost importance. But so is leadership and couth. That's what ultimately did Trump in.

Ok then, that’s fair, but to my point earlier, about you wanting Trump to go away, then who fills the void that will exist, the one that he filled? Like I said, 70 million people aren’t voting democrat ever again. If they go back to not having their voice heard then where do they turn? If Trump retains influence, then he gets to set the agenda for the next guy. The America first agenda, which is the whole reason people went with Trump despite his dooshiness. If it’s left up to the establishment GOP, then we get Jeb! Or someone like him.  

41 minutes ago, fandandy said:

I hope that Trump holds one giant rally a month for the next 4 years.  

So do I. Make the next guy kiss the ring. Those that don’t are RINOs and will be exposed as such. 

36 minutes ago, fandandy said:

That would be awesome. It can be his state of the nation as jobs start rolling back over to Chiner and taxes get higher.

1 minute ago, Utilit99 said:

That would be awesome. It can be his state of the nation as jobs start rolling back over to Chiner and taxes get higher.

Yup. And it’s not like the press is going to be able to ignore him. Sleepy Joe is going to bring in the ratings?He ain’t leaving the White House and holding press conferences.   I’m starting to see some upside here. 

47 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Do ex-presidents still get a secret service security detail?  If so he'd still have protection from the whackos. 

1 hour ago, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Because you’re not a moron.

Trump spent his entire career dodging taxes, stuffing contractors and hiring visa workers and illegals. He’s Mitt Romney with a Twitter handle.

40 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

Obama was silent for years.  People here questioned why isn't he stumping for Biden, must not like him etc.  

Bullshitt.. he was silent on BIDEN for years. He was not silent. His lack of wanting to stump for Biden tells you volumes about both. Obama was scared to back a loser and Biden did not have the backing of his former boss because he was a toss up instead of a slam dunk. 

I agree with Trump on most all of his policies but do recognize that he is a divisive figure. I'm not sure how much of that is his fault.  Although I love the guy now, I still found him off putting for a long while, into his second year. Up until then, he was letting Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell set the priorities and I'd thought he was a clownish, cartoonish version of Jeb! or Romney.  What really warmed me to him and set him apart from the insider corporate crook Republicans in a big way was replacing NAFTA with USMCA. After that, the jokes started making sense, all the warts went away, and I embraced him fully. 

I hope the party keeps making outreach into the working class black and Latino communities and swipes them out from under the Democrats. If this pisses off the neocons like Jennifer Rubin and David Frum and William Safire bad enough, leave. There's the door. Vote Democrat. Enjoy the rioting. Bye. If they want to stick around though, I do think we should have some big tent outreach, but going forward, they ought to be sitting in the back of the bus as I hope the GOP continues to be a populist party.

17 minutes ago, kilroy69 said:

Bullshitt.. he was silent on BIDEN for years. He was not silent. His lack of wanting to stump for Biden tells you volumes about both. Obama was scared to back a loser and Biden did not have the backing of his former boss. 

you're wrong here, as was the op.  

2 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

you're wrong here, as was the op.  

I'm not. And neither was he 

Biden has alluded many times that he ran the country under Obama and Obama barely showed up for Biden's campaign.  Big Mike had more input. Obama clearly is a retired figurehead.  Even though Trump actually ran the country, he will be even less because many Republicans are scared of him.

9 hours ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Ok then, that’s fair, but to my point earlier, about you wanting Trump to go away, then who fills the void that will exist, the one that he filled? Like I said, 70 million people aren’t voting democrat ever again. If they go back to not having their voice heard then where do they turn? If Trump retains influence, then he gets to set the agenda for the next guy. The America first agenda, which is the whole reason people went with Trump despite his dooshiness. If it’s left up to the establishment GOP, then we get Jeb! Or someone like him.  

Frankly, even if trump was the desirable candidate for 2024, he is 74 years old and not exactly a paragon of fitness. It's even money he's even alive in 2024, let alone ready for another barnstorming around the country campaign and 4 years of office. And let's be honest, yeah, sleepy Joe is bad mentally... Trump ain't exactly a steel trap.

Maybe Ivanka makes a run for a governorship or senate seat in 22, and begins to get ready.

But in all likelihood? Yeah, it's back to the same old republicans.

On 11/11/2020 at 7:22 PM, titans&bucs&bearsohmy! said:

Frankly, even if trump was the desirable candidate for 2024, he is 74 years old and not exactly a paragon of fitness. It's even money he's even alive in 2024, let alone ready for another barnstorming around the country campaign and 4 years of office. And let's be honest, yeah, sleepy Joe is bad mentally... Trump ain't exactly a steel trap.

Maybe Ivanka makes a run for a governorship or senate seat in 22, and begins to get ready.

But in all likelihood? Yeah, it's back to the same old republicans.

Why do people keep saying Ivanka? She's pretty liberal as is. I'd rather have Eric or Jr.