Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

what is the best hole in the wall pizza youve had?

Place in Clearwater, Florida where I was playing summer ball after my first year of college and there was a place called Sals Royal Pizza. Easily one of the best I’ve ever had. Place closed down apparently years ago cause I looked it up out of curiosity

Little Deli child depalma's Pizza. Looking back, it really sucks. Right at the time Pizza Hut and Dominos and Godfather Shakey's we're the ones doing all the business. Cuz they were new and whatever. But they did it right. Old school. And we were too stupid to appreciate it. Now everybody's trying to do it like them. And they shut down decades ago.

32 minutes ago, 5-Points said:

No doubt. I've seen plenty of pizza documentaries and they always mention Uno.

But when the frachise makes it out to Fremont, CA and they pump put mediocre pies, at best, I tend to disagree with the hype. 

I'm an admitted pizza snob though. Thats why I make my own. 

:cheers:

Good call.  We're all making our own individual pies the night before Thanksgiving.  The kids love it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

Good call.  We're all making our own individual pies the night before Thanksgiving.  The kids love it. 

The only thing I don't make is my own cheese and I'm looking for ways to do that. 

Homemade pies are the best!  :cheers:

• Like 1

In HS my cousin owned a take-out hole in the wall place, and I worked it Wednesdays to give him a day off.  He let me make a pie for dinner.  Personal pizza size, weighed about 5 pounds with tons of cheese, mushrooms, sausage, and pepperoni.  All pizza has paled in comparison since those days.  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, 5-Points said:

The only thing I don't make is my own cheese and I'm looking for ways to do that. 

Homemade pies are the best!  :cheers:

Get some mozz curd and I’ll walk you through it

2 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

Get some mozz curd and I’ll walk you through it

Looking forward to it.  :doublethumbsup:

4 hours ago, vuduchile said:

The original Uno in Chicago was damned good at one time. 

I always liked Ginos East.

20 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

I am finding that pizza is not so cheap these days. 

Not in NY/NJ/PA.  Those $1 slice places in NYC are probably better than 80-90% of the country 

Bellaria in NE Ohio..come to think of it..NE Ohio has probably 6 all star pizza joints in the Youngstown and surrounding areas..Wedgewood Pizza...Westgate pizza...Cornersburg Pizza..I could go on.

1 hour ago, TimHauck said:

Not in NY/NJ/PA.  Those $1 slice places in NYC are probably better than 80-90% of the country 

I was extremely disappointed in those places on my visit to NYC. Pizza at the sbarro in the mall is better.

3 hours ago, TimHauck said:

Yeah... no $1 slices around here. 

15 hours ago, Utilit99 said:

I always liked Ginos East.

Something we agree upon

19 hours ago, vuduchile said:

We used to decorate slightly undercooked gingerbread men with black and white frosting and tiny gold stars. Then we'd shovel them into the pizza oven. Good Times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Around where?

I am in Sonoma County

17 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

I am in Sonoma County

Yeah that was my point.  The $1 slice places in NYC are probably better than a lot of the pizza in most of the rest of the country IMO.

And in the Philly and NYC suburbs, there are often 3-4 good places within a mile radius or so, so the prices are usually pretty good (by that’d I’d say about $12 or less for a large cheese).

But outside of those areas (and I’m not talking about Chicago Casserole Pizza), you can usually find decent pizza in most bigger metro areas, but it’s not as readily available so it’s usually more expensive.

4 hours ago, TimHauck said:

Yeah that was my point.  The $1 slice places in NYC are probably better than a lot of the pizza in most of the rest of the country IMO.

And in the Philly and NYC suburbs, there are often 3-4 good places within a mile radius or so, so the prices are usually pretty good (by that’d I’d say about $12 or less for a large cheese).

But outside of those areas (and I’m not talking about Chicago Casserole Pizza), you can usually find decent pizza in most bigger metro areas, but it’s not as readily available so it’s usually more expensive.

I wonder what the market prices for ingredients are in NY vs other states.  Every area is a little different.  Pizza a low cost item for restaurants, so decent profit margin. I am looking around at my favorite pizza place near me, and also the ones i grew up on in San Francisco.  Hard to find a large cheese pizza for less than $16

20 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

I wonder what the market prices for ingredients are in NY vs other states.  Every area is a little different.  Pizza a low cost item for restaurants, so decent profit margin. I am looking around at my favorite pizza place near me, and also the ones i grew up on in San Francisco.  Hard to find a large cheese pizza for less than $16

Are you currently in the New York or Philly area?  If not then that’s my point.   I just checked some of the pizza places I grew up going to and some that replaced the ones I did in the Philly suburbs and it was about $12.50 at almost all of them (so maybe I should have said $13 instead of $12).

Nonetheless, I do believe for whatever reason despite outrageous prices on almost everything else, those areas do tend to actually have decent prices on groceries.

On 11/14/2020 at 8:51 AM, TimHauck said:

everything is awesome when youre hammered at 2am