Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

Conan O'Brien ending his talk show tonite (6/24/21)

Conan ends 30 years in the business tonight.  He is moving on to doing specials / variety here or there.  But his run as a talk show host appears to be over.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/24/entertainment/conan-obrien-final-week-column/index.html

(CNN)Almost 30 years after becoming the "new guy" in late-night TV, Conan O'Brien is closing that chapter of his life. And while the key players associated with his long, strange odyssey made out better than fine, that doesn't mean the red-haired host wound up where he wanted to, or that the ride hasn't been a roller coaster.

Having followed O'Brien's arc from the beginning, it's hard to believe he's become such a part of the cultural firmament. As a reminder, he was tapped to fill David Letterman's old slot at NBC in 1993, when Letterman jumped to CBS after losing out to Jay Leno in the first "The Tonight Show" succession battle.

A 30-year-old unknown comedy writer when making his debut, O'Brien survived cancellation several times in the early going. NBC kept renewing the show in 13-week increments, underscoring its lack of faith, before he became such a valued player that the network anointed him to replace Leno, only to result in a scenario as messy as the first one.

The final "Conan" airs June 24 at 11 p.m. ET on TBS.

I used to watch Conan every night. But it felt like he lost a lot of steam after the Tonight Show debacle.

Combine the pandemic with the entire late night scene going further and further left, and I just can't bring myself to care anymore.

5 minutes ago, Vikings4ever said:

I used to watch Conan every night. But it felt like he lost a lot of steam after the Tonight Show debacle.

Combine the pandemic with the entire late night scene going further and further left, and I just can't bring myself to care anymore.

Conan has always been pretty tame on the political stuff, no? Which I appreciate, even as a liberal that late night stuff gets old quick

Just now, IGotWorms said:

Conan has always been pretty tame on the political stuff, no? Which I appreciate, even as a liberal that late night stuff gets old quick

He's a LOT better than most. He doesn't have the vitriol towards Republicans that Colbert or Kimmel do (or regularly have Democrat guests on to verbally fellate), but he'll have jokes about Republicans, while ignoring Democrats. 

Who?

Who?

Have not watched a late night talk show in 20 years..........maybe longer. 

2 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Have not watched a late night talk show in 20 years..........maybe longer. 

Craig Ferguson on the Late Late Show from 2005-2014 was peak late night talk.  He was very un-PC, but was rumored to quit the show as the woke crowd was taking over media and he saw the signs and knew to get out before the wave hit. Ferguson has a join-or-die tattoo on his forearm, so he'd have been wiped out anyway.  If you missed Ferguson, you missed a lot.  Go watch some youtube clips of him flirting with hot women back and forth.  He's a pick up artist in a late night host chair.

13 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

Craig Ferguson on the Late Late Show from 2005-2014 was peak late night talk.  He was very un-PC, but was rumored to quit the show as the woke crowd was taking over media and he saw the signs and knew to get out before the wave hit. Ferguson has a join-or-die tattoo on his forearm, so he'd have been wiped out anyway.  If you missed Ferguson, you missed a lot.  Go watch some youtube clips of him flirting with hot women back and forth.  He's a pick up artist in a late night host chair.

Call it Good Old Day Syndrome or whatever you want, but there was Johnny Carson - then everyone else.

After Johnny left, I followed Letterman for a few years - prolly stopped watching in the late 80's/early 90's. 

Craig Ferguson was the only late night guy to listen to after Carson retired...

• Thanks 2

I haven’t watched those late night talk shows for a couple of decades.  From what I recall, Conan was a pretty good writer, but I didn’t find him very funny himself

58 minutes ago, Mike Isles said:

Driving to Fishtown??

No thank god.  I’ve been to PA 3x in the last week. Bethlehem last night. Another shithole. 

Couldn't imagine staying up late enough to catch those kind of shows consistently. Would watch Letterman occasionally back in the day but, once I was a grown-up, sleep was much more important. 

Never seen this dude's show.