Sign in to follow this  
SexyRexy

Davante Adams at 1.5 - Am I Nuts?

Have 1.5 in a full ppr 12 team. I'm planning to take Adams. I've gone back and forth on Zeke to Chubb to A Jones. But at the end of the day I keep coming back to Adams. Of all of these guys I have zero questions about him and he feels like a perfect foundational piece with the least amount of question marks.

Am I nuts?

7 minutes ago, SexyRexy said:

Have 1.5 in a full ppr 12 team. I'm planning to take Adams. I've gone back and forth on Zeke to Chubb to A Jones. But at the end of the day I keep coming back to Adams. Of all of these guys I have zero questions about him and he feels like a perfect foundational piece with the least amount of question marks.

Am I nuts?

nope

• Like 1

I draft from the 6 spot this Sunday.  If he is there I am taking him unless one of the top 3 RBs falls.  You said it right, there are a lot less questions about him.  You can't say that about the others in that range (Zeke, Henry, Jones)

• Like 1

Nope , I think it’s a great move.  

Ive said it many times, I see three Rbs I like if I draft after those three are gone , I’m looking at Hill and Adams. 

Good to hear from you again OP. 

• Like 1

Thanks all. Appreciate the justification. I find myself mocking and when the 2/3 comes I either grab another stud WR (to establish strength) or just bang away at 2 RBs in a row. And I find the RBs I take 2/3 I have the same level of questions about as I do those in the first, to some degree.

let's not kid ourselves, you are probably certifiably nuts, however choosing Adams at 1.05 is not the reason.

• Haha 1

It's probably not the pick I would make, but I can't really argue with it too much.

It would depend on which RBs are there. Out of the ones you mentioned, I would probably take Zeke.

If one of the higher ranked RBs, like Derrick Henry falls, I would take him

• Like 1

I think that’s a no brainier, if Mccaffery, Henry, Cook falls to the fifth spot I’m sure the OP would reconsider taking Adams. 

But after those three I agree with taking Adams in a ppr. 

• Like 1

Our draft is tonight and I have 1.05 as well.  I was planning on taking Adams because we started 3 WR/TEs, but now I see my commissioner changed it to 2 RB, 2WR/TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, so that may change my thinking a bit.

Commissioner changing the lineup requirements the day of the draft... :lol:

If you have to ask if something is crazy, it probably is.

I mean, I guess if Henry, Zeke, CMC, Cook, Kamara and Jones are all gone by 1.5, then Adams becomes a legitimate option (if you're willing to settle for the 2nd-best WR there)--but I don't see how that could happen unless it's a keeper league.

If CMC, Cook, Zeke, Henry go first four, then Adams is a fine pick.  If Zeke falls to 5 I would take him over Adams.

After the first three Mccaffery, and Henry , and Cook, I’ll go wr.  Adams and or Hill. 

Having the same debate with myself in a 14 team re-draft league, sitting at 5.  Pretty sure McCaffery, Cook & Henry will go 1-2-3.  Guy at 4 is a wildcard…does some crazy things…I could see him taking Mahomes.

If that happens, I’d take Zeke.  If he takes Zeke, I’ll probably go with Adams over Kamara.

Here's the strategy

1.05 take CMC, Henry, Zeke, Cook, Kamara
2.06 You're looking at Najee, Diggs as possibles but probably gone, and then you can target Nuk, Mixon who should both be there.
3.05 Jefferson would be great but probably gone, so it's Keenan, Carson, or CeeDee
4.06 This is where you can get in trouble.  Avoid Henderson and Swift.  It's got to be Robert Woods or Miles Sanders
5.05 James Robinson, Mike Davis maybe.  If everyone is gone, take Gaskin or Diontae
6.06 If everyone from last round is gone take Aiyuk.  If he's somehow gone too, you could also reach for Moestert here and hen swing around and get Sermon in the next round.  Round 6 is kind of a wasteland.  You're looking at the likes of Claypool, Javonte Williams, DJ Moore, Chase Edmonds, Mark Andrews.  I don't really like any of those guys at this value.  
7.05 If you took Moestert last round take Sermon here.  Otherwise, Damien Harris, Jeudy, or Justin Herbert (if you didn't take a QB last round)
8.06 Ronald Jones probably here, QB if you don't have one, or you can take a lottery ticket shot on Devonta Smith.  
9.05 Deebo if he's here should be good value, otherwise take Matt Stafford if you don't have a QB
10.06 If you took Zeke, you need to take Tony Pollard here.  Otherwise Higbee or Corey Davis
11.05 Take Corey Davis, Brandin Cooks, or Mike Williams

12-X Just start pulling good players that will get touches.  Don't worry about ADP.  Marquez Callaway, Marvin Jones, Rhamondre if you ended up with Damien Harris, Jonnu Smith, Cole Beasley, Bryan edwards, Freiermuth, Mattsion if you have Dalvin, Tony Jones in the last round if you have Kamara,  a mix of guys that should be fairly steady, Cole Beasley, Russell Gage, Agholor with some lottery tickets... I'd recommend Kylin Hill or Josh Palmer in the last round if you have room.  You can also take the undervalued QBs... Cousins, Fitzpatrick, Winston is going to be good if he gets the job...

You're probably looking at something like:

(draft round in parentheses)

Cousins (15)

Zeke (1), Mixon (2), Gaskin (5), Damien Harris (7), Tony Pollard( (10), Rhamondre (13)

CeeDee (3), Woods (4), Aiyuk (6), Devonta Smith (8), Deebo (9), Brandin Cooks (11), Callaway (12), Bryan Edwards (16)

Jonnu Smith (14)

You might prefer Keenan to CeeDee here since you have Zeke, but Zeke could also be someone else.

If you go Adams 1st, your core is probably going to look like.

Mixon, Carson, Miles Sanders

Adams, Woods, Aiyuk

I'd prefer the RB in the 1st.

Based on last seasons ppr points per game avg. using just the top three WRs and Rbs  

Team A would have 90 points. 

Team B would have 100 points.  

5 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Based on last seasons ppr points per game avg. using just the top three WRs and Rbs  

Team A would have 90 points. 

Team B would have 100 points.  

Good to know.  

3 hours ago, SexyRexy said:

Am I nuts?

Pair him up with Rodgers. :cheers:

Small rosters, but here's my 1.05 adventure  That 62-85 range is rough.  Not a lot of guys I really like in there.  Chris Carson and Gaskin went full rounds later than I was expecting them to go.

1.05 Henry
2.06 Nuk - Mixon went early second
3.05 Jefferson - I was very pleased to see him fall to me here
4.06 Chris Carson - passed on Woods
5.05 Miles Sanders - only other guys I were considering here were Mike Davis and Aiyuk
6.06 Gaskin - Diontae got picked one before me.  That was a bummer.
7.05 Justin Herbert - If I didn't have so many runningbacks here, I would've taken Mostert.  Kind of wish I did that and then swung back around for Stafford in the 9th.
8.06 Trey Sermon - Took Sermon thinking he could take over later in the year
9.05 Devonta Smith - lottery ticket.  I think if he stays healthy he can be a target monster
10.06 Brandin Cooks - I just wanted some steady production.  I figure even with Tyrod at QB someone needs to catch the ball
11.05 Marquez Callaway Just hoping Winston gets the job and Thomas pouts for the rest of the season
12.06 49ers Defense
13.05 Tyler Bass

Woulda taken either Davis or Aiyuk over Sanders.

Hear ya on the Diontae bummer.

Yeah, the Mostert/Sermon coup would have been nice if it only meant a drop from Herbert to Stafford at QB.

Good pick on Cooks that late, just in case Smith doesn't work out, but Callaway should give you about a month for Smith to get up to speed.

Very solid effort.

B

Looks good nobody, I like that Niners Vs Lions matchup week one. 

Good luck this season. 

I'm a little concerned because usually my best teams have the worst yahoo draft grades.  This one got a C- and was middle of the pack.  I don't feel good unless yahoo gives me a D or worse.  Prefer an F.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2021 at 10:33 AM, SexyRexy said:

Am I nuts?

I wouldn't do it.  WR's are way too deep and reliable RB's are way too important.  I'd much rather have Jones or Elliott than Adams.  I have Elliott as my RB3 in PPR leagues behind McCaffrey and Cook.  I wouldn't pass him up at #5.

Agree nobody, my first draft a live draft took place down in California, ppr 12 team small money league. But when we graded out the league , I was 10th out of 12 teams , I told the other I have you right where I want you.  

Winner. 

Here's how this team turned out in PPR. Took what the board gave me to establish some advantages then smashed RB for a while.

Kyler Lance

Gus, Rojo, Javonta, Gio, Ty Johnson, Sony, Pollard, Bostcon Scott, Gurley (grabbed last round)

Adams Ridley Corey Davis Brandin Cooks Terrance Marshall

Waller

Format is as follows with my current planned week 1 starters

QB Kyler

RB Gus

RB Rojo

WR Adams

WR Ridley

WR CD

Flex Cooks

Flex Marshall or whoever

TE Waller

1 hour ago, SexyRexy said:

Here's how this team turned out in PPR. Took what the board gave me to establish some advantages then smashed RB for a while.

Kyler Lance

Gus, Rojo, Javonta, Gio, Ty Johnson, Sony, Pollard, Bostcon Scott, Gurley (grabbed last round)

Adams Ridley Corey Davis Brandin Cooks Terrance Marshall

Waller

Format is as follows with my current planned week 1 starters

QB Kyler

RB Gus

RB Rojo

WR Adams

WR Ridley

WR CD

Flex Cooks

Flex Marshall or whoever

TE Waller

Not a fan, but if you like it... good luck.  Hope it works out for you.

1 hour ago, the newb said:

You got Waller mid 3rd?

Yes. I was going to take an RB there but no way I was passing on a Waller slide.

• Like 1

Whenever you look at a team that looks like it was drafted in a 16 team league, and then you find out it was in a 10 or 12 team league, you can always blame it on an early TE pick.

A rb2 in the third , and that team would be very good. 

Must've went Adams, Ridley, Waller, Murray.  If you're going to take a TE early, probably need to wait on QB.  

36 minutes ago, nobody said:

Must've went Adams, Ridley, Waller, Murray.  If you're going to take a TE early, probably need to wait on QB.  

That’s exactly what I did. And I actually went kyler in fourth because I went waller in third. At that stage I needed to establish a distinct advantage everywhere but rb. I have Kyler tier 1.

once I took waller I knew where it was headed and why I stockpiled rbs I think are decent bets to delivery consistent volume. If I get rb2 production from my backs all said and done I’m winning most weeks.

1 hour ago, weepaws said:

A rb2 in the third , and that team would be very good. 

This was my plan but waller fell and there’s no way I was passing on that positional advantage. To me it’s kelce waller and everyone else

most weeks I’m winning qb wr te and flex. Rb if I javonte explodes I’m golden and if not need to find decent steady non dud rbs which i think I did at least entering the season

16 minutes ago, SexyRexy said:

This was my plan but waller fell

Waller is by no means a sure thing.  The Raiders are trying to develop a bit of a passing game outside of Waller, and their young WRs should develop into their roles a little more this season than they were able to do under COVID protocols in 2020.

And even if Waller remains the top option, who's to say you don't get his 3 TDs from 2019 instead of his 9 TDs from 2020?

Friends don't let friends draft a TE early.

Adams fell to 12. I picked Tyreek at 11 over him just because I think he and Mahomes have a historic season and Rogers comes back down to earth.

1 minute ago, tanatastic said:

Adams fell to 12. I picked Tyreek at 11 over him just because I think he and Mahomes have a historic season and Rogers comes back down to earth.

Good call.  Adams scored on 12.1% of his targets last season--a completely unsustainable scoring rate.

Rodgers is all about the stats.  He'll just keep throwing those 3 yard TD passes to Adams on pick plays.

Don’t see any true advantage taking a shot on a te that might not score but a few tds based on his past. Last season might not be what you get from Waller, 2-4 tds could be more of his norm, and I don’t see any advantage taking Murray the 4th round 

If you count qbs that played in at least eight game or more Murray was third in avg, but there was also five qbs within three points per game behind him, so those three points probably won’t cover the lose of having a true rb1 or even a true rb2.  

Anyway. 

Thanks. 

I am seriously debating taking Adams at 1.05 in non ppr. This is just a 10 team league so the decision is a little easier imo. The second round will have running backs like Harris or Gibson to choose from. A good chance Carson is still there in the third, and then there are guys like Edwards and Gordon available in the rounds afterward.